The Flash Iris/Barry Spoilers

The Flash Boss Previews Iris' Romantic Future, Big 'Change' for 'WestAllen'

Iris West’s mourning period is about to come to a close.

When The Flash returns next Tuesday (The CW, 8/7c), the reporter’s professional and personal relationships will finally begin to heat up as she moves on from the death of her fiancé Eddie Thawne.

With the discovery that her mother Francine is alive and that she has a brother, “so much of this year for [Iris] has been [about] family,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says. The back half of the season, he continues, will see the journalistic and romantic aspects of her life start to take center stage.

But with whom will Iris possibly spark? One potential prospect is her new boss at Central City Picture News, Scott Evans (played by Truth Be Told‘s Tone Bell). However, they will first have to overcome a difference of opinion about the city’s most famous resident.

“It’s interesting, because [Scott] can’t stand The Flash,” Kreisberg previews. “He thinks The Flash is a phony, and he has a great storyline about why he doesn’t believe in heroes anymore. So, whereas Iris has become a little bit like Lois Lane [as] The Flash’s biggest booster, her new editor is dedicated to taking some of the shine off” the Scarlet Speedster.

While that “leads to a lot of conflict” for the pair, Kreisberg adds, “There is chemistry between them.”

Then, of course, there’s Iris’ pal Barry, who has long harbored feelings for her. The two even shared a lip lock last season before a bit of time travel reset the timeline. So will he ever kiss and tell with Ms. West about their smooch?

“Barry has a much bigger thing that he’s going to have to tell her coming up soon,” Kreisberg replies. “Things are going to change for them in a way that I think [is] going to make fans happy.”

1. Jake says:

The new editor is starting to sound like J. Jonah Jameson.

2. Lily says:

Hmm. Something to do with them on E2, I’m guessing. Can’t imagine what else it would be.

• Emily says:

That’s what I’m hoping. It definitely looks like Westallen are together on Earth-2, so hopefully Barry will let Iris know about it. <3

3. Cilla says:

Thank you. Really looking forward to there being more focus on her career and how Iris will deal with demands from her boss and loyalty to Barry. Can’t wait to see what dynamic Iris and Scott have. I hope by making fans happy, this means things westallen are eading towards a romantic relationship.

4. rinaex says:

That whole story line with the boss sounds very boring. But then, Iris is boring, so eh.

• Jen says:

Iris is boring? Nice try. Caitlin says hi, though

• rinaex says:

Caitlin is…not great, but at least she has some purpose. Reporter stories are dull as dirt to me, and predictable, so to me they have to strain themselves trying to find a story for her. If she wasn’t in the comic books, there really is no reason for Iris to be in every episode.

• Mik says:

What purpose does Caitlin have? Barry has super speed, even when it comes to healing. And honestly now that his dad is out of jail, Caitlin is even less useful even as a doctor. If they REALLY need a doctor, they can call Henry down from the mountain. So, of what use is she?

• courtney says:

Why wouldn’t he need medical help because he has super healing? Dumb comment. Plus Caitlin is going to become killer frost one day which is much more interesting.

• Justin says:

@courtney Not if they cop out and make only E2 Caitlin Killer Frost which seems more and more likely

• Lucas says:

@rinaex get out of town! Caitlin has ZERO purpose. All she does is bat her eyes at Jay Garrick. She’s done nothing all season apart from go on a date with a gorilla! Caitlin Snow is boring, bland and basic. Linda Park should become a series regular and join the STAR Labs team, she’s much better than Caitlin, who has no relevance if the flash legacy.

• Mik says:

I’m all for bringing Linda on, but I don’t need her to be part o the STAR Labs crew, I need Iris to have a friend that’s not all mixed up in that stuff. Linda knows about it, so at least Iris won’t have to lie about it, but I don’t need Linda to be a part of it.

• rinaex says:

I’ll absolutely agree that they’ve done Caitlin a disservice by having her moon all over Jay Garrick so soon. If we’re being honest, neither Iris or Caitlin NEED to be there every episode, but Caitlin’s skill set is easier to work into story lines vs Iris being “emotional support”, or however the producers tried to phrase it to avoid the phrase “useless in any capacity on the team”.

• Hadji David says:

I prefer caitlin snow, she is at least smarter and more beautiful and also a great asset to star labs.

• Nadège says:

lmfaooooo

• Michelle says:

And that’s why people hate Iris fans. Every time someone has something to say about Iris, you morons think it’s automatically a Caitlin fan “hating” Iris.

• Mik says:

How does it sound boring? She’s having a conflict with someone who is going to push her to be a better journalist in the long run. And we get to see how Iris deals with adversity that’s not men in her life lying to her.

• Mo says:

Exactly. Boring.

• Mik says:

What exactly do you find exciting?

• Alexis says:

I think it’s exciting. We finally see her doing some journalist work and hopefully have a conflict of interest. That eventually leading to Westallen is a bonus

• Mik says:

I agree, Alexis. And the potential conflict of interest storyline is also a good way to bring Linda back for a little so Iris can get some advice from a friend who isn’t Barry or her dad.

• rinaex says:

I don’t care about the journey of a journalist becoming better at her job on a series about The Flash. At least Joe gets involved from a police officer’s perspective, which complements the meta-human stories. I’ll never understand why they didn’t at least make Iris a police officer.

• Mik says:

Because Iris is a journalist in the comics. I don’t get how you don’t see how easily they can integrate a journalist into the stories. In fact, last season, Iris was the one doing all o f the research that they’ve let Patty do this season because she I guess needed something to do other than Barry. But when Patty leaves, that role will go back to Iris where it should have stayed.

• rinaex says:

I don’t read comics, so I don’t care. What I see on my screen is them having to find something for Iris to do because her skill set doesn’t lend itself to helping out superheroes. From what I’ve gleaned, she and the Flash are more of a duo in the comics, but that’s not the dynamic that they’ve gone with, and with the dynamic as it plays out on my TV screen, I don’t see any reason for Iris to be there other than, let’s be honest, eventually hook up with Barry.

• Justin says:

Honestly police officers dont really bring anything to the table in regards to fighting metahumans. Look at Joe. He’s also Barry’s “emotional support” but he has a gun and badge which the show has proven time and time again means nothing when taking on superpowered villains. All he does at Star Labs is act as Barry’s voice of reason, get confused by all the scientific bs, and point a gun at every random stranger who waltzes in. Plus, Joe and Patty have been more damsels in distress than Iris has.

• Mo says:

That’s probably why the Wests will get their own separate plot which keeps them out of Star Labs while still giving them something to do.

• Nadège says:

Caitlin is either mourning her husband or thirsting after her own speedster but Iris is “boring” *sure jane*

• Steven says:

Why do you take shots at Caitlin when she has nothing to do with this article? WestAllen fans always take shots at Caitlin even when she hasn’t been brought up.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Haha so true Steven. Iris fans just attack any other female character who takes time away from Iris. Some of them even fast forward thru the scenes with like Caitlin or Patty, so they don’t even know what they’re talking about to begin with. Like they criticize other female characters for doing things that Iris couldn’t do any better, if she even knew how to do it, they don’t care how much sense it makes, as long as Iris is front an centre.

This new storyline with Iris sounds boring and classic Iris. I mean like judging by the previews for next episode, Patty might not be around much longer, and now Iris sounds she’ll be starting a new relationship, right when Barry might be available. Not to mention, the whole idea of an office romance becuz Iris didn’t doesn’t get her way, sounds pretty unprofessional to say the least.

• Michelle says:

Hate to be that person but Felicity slept with Palmer and if you’re a Felicity fan who’s taking shots at Iris hooking up with her boss, then you’re a hypocrite.

As for Iris fans, they do go too far. I know it’s not all but the fact they think that people who don’t like Iris are Caitlin fans is an eyeroll.

5. Gail says:

I hope they don’t get rid of Patty. If Barry tells Patty he is the Flash, like the promos imply, I hope that would be a reason for her ending her relationship with Barry and not Barry ending it because he has feelings for Iris. Of course the promos are probably a misdirect as they usually are. The point is every romantic relation Barry has shouldn’t end because of his feelings for Iris. If that is the case he should just be alone until Iris is ready.

• Mik says:

Eh, before he was even forced to date Patty he was all “she’s not Iris”. Iris will always be the reason he can’t be with someone else. But I agree, they need to stop dragging it out and put Westallen together already. If they need a guy on the show to be a ladies man they have Cisco and Wally. Barry’s always been a one-woman-named-Iris man.

• Lily says:

I agree with this. She’s like the Adrian to his Rocky Balboa- there’s just nobody else, period. If they’re going to tell a soulmate type of story I prefer it if they just go ahead with it 100% and don’t try to pretend like there’s other options (there wasn’t in the original comics- Barry never dated Patty Spivot at all until the recent 52, which everyone hated).

• Emily says:

I think the show would only improve by not wasting time on Barry’s relationship shenanigans. Let him be happy with Iris and show them working together as a team. Then, as stated above, give Wally/Linda some will-they won’t-they teasing, or show us Cisco’s dating adventures if people really want to watch romantic mishaps lol.

• Lily says:

Yeah, especially the way they set it up. I really, REALLY don’t like how they made Patty Spivot his first real relationship. First of all, that character was such a loser in the comics (there were no fans of that character), and in the real history she never gets with Barry at all, so I would almost prefer it if they just made someone up if they thought he had to have a serious girlfriend before Iris. Instead, that lame character’s level of importance gets upped out of nowhere. And second of all, why did he have to have a serious girlfriend before Iris again? There’s really no reason for that to happen, especially if he’s never going to love anyone else and already knows it. And they didn’t even use her to make Iris realize her feelings for Barry! So the whole thing feels like a very deliberate waste of time.

• Mik says:

This reply is actually for Lily, but I don’t think PS is really a SERIOUS girlfriend. Anywhoo, it sounds like we won’t have to deal with her for much longer.

• Lily says:

I’m glad they’re going ahead with WestAllen, but it’s always going to be slightly diminished for me now, because of Patty. I just don’t like the way that was done at all, and she kinda leaves a stain on the whole thing for me.

• Mik says:

Nah I think you’ll forget about her soon enough. Her impact on Barry’s life isn’t that big. She’s literally only in his life so he can not have to deal with his life if that makes sense, LOL, but I’m sure he’ll soon realize that he needs to be with someone that he can share ALL of himself with and be happy, and not someone who he’s only “happy” with because she doesn’t know everything.

• rinaex says:

“And they didn’t even use her to make Iris realize her feelings for Barry! So the whole thing feels like a very deliberate waste of time.”

That was actually a pleasant surprise, that Barry and Patty’s relationship is being allowed to play out on its own, and not as a tool to get Barry and Iris together.

• Lily says:

But there was no point to Barry being with someone besides Iris. All it did was waste time on something no one cared about.

• Lea says:

“Everyone hated”? Manapul and Buccellato’s run on The Flash received widespread acclaim from critics and readers. If you don’t like Barry and Patty as a couple and hate the entire arcs just for that, that’s your preference, but don’t pretend everyone shares your opinion. Most don’t.

And there’s no such thing as the “real” story when it comes to comic books. It’s all about versions and continuities. If anything, this now is the real story, since the old version was erased from the main continuity and holds no canonical value anymore.

(By the way, Mlk, Barry is not a “one-woman-named-Iris man”. Need I remind you he was engaged to Fiona Webb in the comic books? As in one-woman-NOT-named-Iris? And that’s just one off the top of my head)

• Mik says:

On the SHOW, which is what we are talking about, Barry is all about Iris and has been since day one.

• Mo says:

MIk: that’s thing isn’t it? Barry is all about Iris. But no one ever says the same about Iris. Ever. Because they know it’s not true.

• Emily says:

Manapul’s run was highly acclaimed, but it had nothing to do with Patty. Even he himself admitted Patty was just there to eventually pave the way for Iris – hence why she’s gone now, while Iris and Wally are still in the thick of Barry’s life.

Also, Barry only got with Fiona because he thought Iris was dead. The second it turned out Iris was alive, he didn’t spare poor Fiona a second thought.

• Nadège says:

“that is the case he should just be alone until Iris is ready.” That’s what barry should hav done this season tbh, he was all “she’s not iris” before even starting his r/ship w/ patty so.

6. Shika says:

I’m so here for this Scott, Iris, Flash triangle! I love that we are going to be seeing more of Iris at CCPN, showing her “gumption” and all the tension between Scott and the Flash. Thank you for the scoop. I AM ALIVE!!!!! lol

7. MJ says:

AJK is really working hard to get people to watch 2.10, when everybody knows it’s all about Trigger Happy Patty, being trigger happy again. No thanks. I’ll wait for the Iris, Wally and West family gifs on Tumblr.

• Emily says:

I do think it’s hilarious how AJK has stopped discussing her, even though there’s one or two more episodes to get through before we reach the good stuff. He finally got the message that Comic Con’s dead silence should have told him six months ago!

• Winston says:

Dead silence? Please tell me more?

• Emily says:

At Comic Con, AJK and Berlanti were announcing the new cast members, and it was like, “Jay Garrick! *mild applause* Zoom! *cheering* Patty Spivot! *so much awkward silence that the cast members themselves started cheering to make up for it* …Wally West! *defeaning roars*”

• Sunsoraye says:

Exactly! I feel the same way. I’m not watching again until Patricia is gone.

8. Jen says:

I am so happy! Thank you for the much needed scoop on Iris and West-Allen! Iris is awesome and her chemistry with Barry is off the charts!

9. Fowsia says:

Really nice scoop! Can’t wait to see the conflict of interest Iris has with writing articles about The Flash and knowing The Flash simultaneously. Super excited that the writers are back on track in writing more romantic!westallen! Could it be because of E2 westallen? :) I think yes.

10. Emily says:

I’m excited for pretty much everything. Iris having a real journalistic storyline, some chemistry with her boss AND a positive change for Westallen!!!!!!

11. Riana says:

When is iris going to introduce her brother to her coworker?

12. Mik says:

Okay, so now what is Barry keeping away from her? I’m excited for Scott, I’m looking forward to seeing his and Iris’ dynamic. And I’m ALWAYS here for more Iris development. Thanks so much for the awesome Iris scoop!

13. Jen says:

And good riddance, Patty

14. Elle says:

I’m excited to see Iris and her boss clash. Iris has pretty much been The Flash’s biggest supporter from day one so I know she won’t let Scott get away with attempting to slander The Flash’s name. I hope it gets messy!

15. Naomi says:

I’m so excited for more Iris in the back half of the season. She has been missed.
    Seeing Iris at work (with her hot new boss) actually reporting is exactly what I want to see. I hope they deliver this time!
    …I am also cautiously optimistic about the westallen scoop. I missed them

16. Trish says:

OMGGGGG this storyline sounds AMAZING. I need to see journalist west in action and westallen finally coming together….. yes yes yes this is what otp dreams are made of
    Thanks for the scoop.

17. Ian says:

Let me guess. So after half a season of Barry screwing some other chick and Iris being mostly absent and WestAllen feeling basically nonexistent, Iris finally gets a minute extra screentime and some cheesy new work fling but Barry gets to butt in with some bombshell and decide he wants to be with her again because what, its fate? Pass.
    Doesnt sound like Andrew watches the very show he EPs. He’s done a great job “knowing” what will make fans happy after making them miserable for months. Wonderful.

18. Ingrid says:

OMG this is awesome !! I feel like we haven’t seen much of her at her job this season (even though we were promised an ace reporter storyline) so I’m definitely looking forward to this ! Can’t wait to see her dynamics with Scott, and the conflict of interest it may create with her knowing the flash. And of course, more WestAllen is always a welcome addition :)

19. Nilani says:

I am SO here for Scott/Iris/Flash triangle!!!
    Excited to see the chemistry and dynamic between Scott and Iris! And THANK GOD Iris’ journalism arc is getting the much needed focus, it so deserves. Just THANK GOD for Iris West being “back on the show” again, since we’ve hardly seen her this season 2.
    Us Iris and Westallen fans have gone through an almost miserable season thus far. Let’s hope, the latter half of season 2 delivers on every great thing promised!
    Finally, cannot wait to see Wally West bond with his big sister <3 Looking forward to watching the chemistry between Candice Patton and Keiynan Lonsdale.

20. Piper says:

YES so so so excited about westallen, I think I’m gonna throw up.

21. KitKat says:

I admit I wasn’t really here for another love triangle with Scott, But I am ALWAYS here for more Iris being a fabulous journalist and moving westallen forward in a positive way! Thanks for the scoop I’m so excited! Iris and westallen have been pushed aside most of the season so far and I so want to see her shine! And it would be nice to finally get some westallen action!

22. Valerie says:

Finally some Iris good news!! I’m really excited..I don’t trust AJK at all..but I’m pretty positive!! And also I wanna see things change for WestAllen..give us sexual tension, angst, caring and love!! Iris is my fav…I need to see more of her! Thank you so much for the scoops ;)

23. courtney says:

So Patty is gone? and now Iris is getting a love interest and Barry is going to be jealous again? If they wanted me to ship Westallen they should have showed Iris having some feelings for Barry, and be the one pining for him for a change.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Finally! Someone else who noticed that. Totally agree.

• Mo says:

Iris’ non-romantic feelings for Barry is the elephant in the room. This isn’t a ship, it’s a dinghy and Barry is the only person on it.

• Lily says:

In some ways, I agree. I think they’re got to figure out how to show us that Iris actually LIKES Barry, and they’ve got to do it soon, because in my opinion, that’s really been the big writing error from the beginning. They need to show us that there’s something on the other side of this romance, and not just have other people say that she likes him deep down but doesn’t know it yet, or whatever. We need to see it from her, and having her be totally indifferent to this Patty thing is another mistake, because if she had any feelings for him at all, she would at least be a LITTLE bit sad about that. And now bringing in yet another love interest (even if he’s short-lived) is just continually reinforcing that nothing will ever make her see Barry “that way.” But something has to, right? How are they going to do it?

• Justin says:

If Iris was acting jealous and pining for Barry she would’ve most likely got some hate from fans for moving on from Eddie too quickly, trying to come in between Barry/Patty blah blah blah. Barry knows she has feelings for him and I’m sure they’ll get on the same page by the end of the season. And if ppl can ship Snowbarry with Barry showing ZERO romantic interest in Caitlin I think it’s all good.

24. angela says:

I’m so excited for Iris storyline to finally pick up! the dynamic between her and scott seems interesting, and i love all things westallen. super pumped for this.

25. Prettycitie says:

Please don’t disappoint us (Iris/westallen fans) I need this in my life. More Iris on scene and being vocal about her life in general. AkJ I am counting on you keeping your promises 🙏🏾You said this before ” Iris ACE report” it’s time to deliver!

26. sofia says:

YES. IRIS’ journalism career and westallen !! SO EXCITED

27. Yes! Were going to see Iris finally be the ace reporter she is. And I can’t wait for #Westallen. (I hope whatever he has to tell her isn’t something he lied about)

28. ndixit says:

The whole idea of a newsman thinking the Flash is a phony is kind of dumb, especially given there is now documented evidence of him having saved hundreds of lives.

• Lucas says:

What? Not everyone has to think The Flash is amazing. In actual fact it’s quite valid for some people to look at the downside of a so called hero. Zoom is solely there to destroy Barry and bringing dangerous meta humans into Eath 1 because of him. Reverse Flash was there because of his hate for Barry.

It’s only realistic that not everyone would worship the ground he walks on.

• Mik says:

I, for one, am glad to see someone on the show who is just a normal citizen and doesn’t like The Flash, I was hoping it would be Wally, but I’ll take Scott.

• Rebecca says:

Plus, that was part of Eddie’s arc until he was told that Barry was The Flash. Eddie started an entire task force to catch the Flash.

29. JenB. says:

YESSSSS! I absolutely love this. Way to go Kriesberg and co! Can’t wait to see more Iris in part 2 of season 2.

30. AJK has lost my trust; he promised quite a bit regarding Iris before the season started and I’ve been disappointed in her SL (if it can be called that) more often than not. I’m not believing anything he says until I actually see it. Hopefully the writers will deliver and Iris will have a lot of awesome moments in the second half of this season.

31. Katie says:

I’m here for WestAllen! Barry and Iris are such perfection. No issue with Eddie (RIP) or Scott. But move aside and let the iconic couple reign! It’s about time!

32. Mo says:

So Barry’s back to moping over Iris and her lovebug. Even Barry has been sidelined in the 1st half, so we get more of the same in the 2nd half. And more Iris. Soooo….nothing to see here then.

33. Really hope Iris and Barry get back on course to being shown as being in love with each other this season. Please grant my WestAllen heart this.

34. Alexis says:

Thank you again for the spoilers. It all sounds good and I hope the EPs keep their word this time. I need to see Iris do field work investigation. I hope they show her have a conflict of interest about maintaining her journalistic integrity vs keeping Flash’s identity a secret. I want this to eventually lead her to discover those buried feelings she has for Barry.

35. Ana says:

I’m still on ‘wait and see mode’ with this show..2A has been beyond disappointing.. We were promised so much for Iris and so far what we’ve gotten is a big fat zero.

However hopefully this comes to fruition and Iris West is finally gets a chance to shine.

36. carni611 says:

This is the best news I have read. It’s time for the other half of The Flash legacy. She is his source of being and it’s about time she starts shining. OMG! WestAllen is happening and thank you for the article.

37. Maggie says:

I’m just going to be in my corner crying TEARS OF JOY at this most awesome scoop. Thank you so much for this.

38. Aliah Berry says:

So excited for this Barry and Iris story line! Hopefully it ends in them finally being together! This news definitely made me look forward for The Flash to return.

39. M says:

I can’t wait for her storyline–I love Westallen and seeing her as an ace reporter!

40. jade4813 says:

I’m very excited by this – so looking forward to more Iris and Westallen development…though I don’t remember her grieving, per se. I’m skeptical it’ll be more than trumped up promises, but I hope to be wrong!

41. Jared says:

I really love the Iris character and the actress who plays her. Happy to finally see her getting some love.

42. caite says:

The Iris spoilers seem nice but I just don’t seem to believe they are going to come true. I kind of think that the fan’s that are going to be happy are snowbarry fans because Barry is going to admit he is in love with Caitlin and that Wally is going to be a superhero

43. Diana says:

Not sure what the big secret could be, but I hope it means good things for Barry and Iris… :)

44. Kota says:

I’m so happy Iris is finally getting a storyline that won’t be sidelined this season! In my opinion, the writers didn’t do a good enough job at showcasing how she was feeling post-Eddie. Alas, even though we may never get that, at least we’ll get something even better: her being the phenomenal journalist we know her as in the comics! Looking forward to how she handles Scott’s “pushing” and (finally) some Westallen progression.

45. Sunsoraye says:

I’m glad that they’re progressing things for Iris and Barry but I’m totally against Iris dating her boss. It’s so unethical, cheap, and lazy. No thank you to that storyline. Iris can do better than sleeping with her boss. She’s too classy for that.

46. TayciBear says:

I’m so excited for more Iris. Candice Patton is an amazing actress and her and Grant’s chemistry is off the charts. I can’t wait.

47. aura says:

But seriously this is the best news ever!!!!. To say I am excited is an understatemt. Seeing Iris be an amazing reporter is all I have ever wanted and I still don’t understand why and how the writers were unable to incoperate this into the plot for 2A. Andrew has made many bold statements like this already reference Iris’s SL so I am still weary but nonetheless happy to hear that at least my fav caharacter is back in the writers orbit. And are we finally having a break in this never ending will they wont they Barry and Iris saga, if so my body is so ready fo this. long story short yeah for Iris West intrepid investigative reporter ready to take over CC and yeah for WestAllen its about time!!!

48. andi says:

Thanks so much for this preview…love Iris West can’t wait to see her kick butt as a journalist

49. gilbert says:

she gonna be killer frost…. just wait for some time

50. Victor Frost says:

cool… cnt wait to watch ’em