Supergirl Arrow Flash Crossover

Supergirl/Arrow Crossover: 'A Lot Would Have to Go Right for That to Happen'

What is the latest outlook for Supergirl to take flight to The CW for a crossover with Arrow or The Flash?

“Unfortunately, you’re going to get the same answer that I always give, which is that, as a fan, I would love it,” Greg Berlanti, the prolific producer behind both the CBS and The CW’s superhero series, said Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.

“I personally never rule anything out,” he continued. “I would be excited by it. But a lot of things would have to go right, people would have to say yes, for that to happen.” What’s more, to stand any chance of happening this TV season, “It would have to be figured out in the next month or so.”

In addition to “financial hurdles” and the corporate challenge of “getting everybody to sign off,” any potential crossover would also need to address one super-sized creative issue.

“You haven’t been hearing about Superman [on Arrow/The Flash], and Superman exists in [Supergirl’s] world, so we’d have to figure out a way around that,” Berlanti explained, adding that the creative team has “some thoughts” on solving that problem.

However, the EP noted that while the producers “have talked internally about how cool we think [a crossover] would be, we haven’t had any official conversations with anybody.” (With reporting by Matt Webb Mitovich)

1. Just have Benoist show up on Flash as Power Girl from Earth 2. Problem solved.

2. Batman exists in the arrowverse (Harley had a cameo, which means Joker exists, so Batman have to exist for Harley to exist). So introducing the Superfamily won’t be that much of a problem.

• Amanda says:

There also was the newspaper the original Harrison Wells on “The Flash” had from the future that showed Oliver will merge his company with Wayne Enterprises and there was an article about Barry being missing and how the other members of the Justice League were looking for him. Also one of the metahumans was references to as a “man of steel” and there have been other Superman references too. I thought already all the DC shows were confirmed to be in the same universe, including “Gotham” but that show is a prequel that takes place 10 to 15 years earlier than the rest.

• Rob Watkins says:

Nothing is connected to Gotham.

The man of steel is a fun easter egg, it’s not a confirmation of anything.

• We see see inside Star Labs of Earth-2 the couple of times Wells was making speeches, there was a museum of sorts and Kal-El’s rocket ship is clearly and prominently on display. I’d say that’s more of a confirmation (or a firm nod if you want but it still sets the precedence).

• Ws says:

Harley hasnt been confirmed to exist.. that character was never named and never returned because they didnt have the rights to use her.

• Robert says:

They’re also going to introduce Kryptonite to the universe(watch the Legends of Tomorrow trailer) so Krypton and, by extension, Superman exist in the Arrowverse as well.

3. lesigh says:

Considering The Flash has other “Earths” it shouldn’t be that hard for the shows to crossover. Just have Supergirl exist in another “Earth” and either she crosses over to the Flash, have some of the Flash characters crossover to Supergirl.

It doesn’t even have to be a real crossover, just have Barry (or another character) be a delivery person in an episode of Supergirl, and you’re done.

4. Drew says:

I disagree. Something would have to go very wrong for this to happen. Supergirl is not creatively stable by a long shot. They should work on that before going for gimmick crossovers. On top of that, Arrow has only minimally recovered from last year’s horrible writing. This year is still incredibly sloppy. They should put some more thought into that and less thought into how Supergirl could cross over.
    They need to get things right before they start goofing around.

• Rob Watkins says:

You seem miserable watching these shows. Why are you watching them?

• Drew says:

Because I am, and therefore have an opinion. Arrow was once one of the better shows on TV, and something to look forward to. I am hoping that it will get back on track, but the writers need to stop pandering to fangirls and start thinking about plot again.
        Supergirl… Wait… Why am I watching that?

• KET says:

Good question..why are you watching it? You have no idea of what you are talking about, so quit while you’re ahead. Supergirl the TV show is outsmarting you.

• Drew says:

So now you’re insulting me because I don’t love a TV show that you love? Are you twelve?
            The bottom line is that different people watch TV shows for different reasons. Nobody has to explain that here. Unless someone’s comments are not relevant to the discussion at hand, you should either engage in mature conversation or move along. Personal insults make you look like a doody-head.

• tyranthraxus says:

Im inclined to agree with some of the sentiments of this post. IF they do a Crossover I think it should be with the Flash. Arrow works best when its enemies are more ‘down to Earth’ . Even Deathstroke (who yeah wasnt so much less Super as he was an enemy they built outta story and Mirakuru) was more grounded there.

If there is to be a crossover Id prefer it with the Flash.

• Annie says:

You had me agreeing until you threw fangirls under the bus. Arrow has been on shaky ground since they killed Sara. Stupid decision that they’ve never been able to really recover from (though her being not-dead now has helped hahah proof=pudding).
          You’re probably talking about all the Oliver/Felicity stuff. The writers handled that all badly too. Like does no one on the writing staff know how to write a romance. Terrible. What should have been a great ‘ya, let’s listen to the fans’ turned into a terrible season

• Drew says:

When I say “fangirls”, I mean the screechy whiny ones who say that they will absolutely never watch the show again unless the writers obey their every command and who shoot imaginary lasers from their eyes whenever someone disagrees with them.
            Fangirls are the woman from Misery. There are plenty of perfectly sane and pleasant female fans of the show who would not fall into that category, and being female is not necessarily required in order to be a fangirl.
            While I wasn’t happy to see Sara die, I understood why it had to happen. Bringing her back still feels cheap to me. I would have preferred that Legends just use a time travel loophole to bring her into the mix. It would be a bittersweet return that way, since she would have an expiration date built in.

• Phun says:

Why are you torturing yourself watching both Supergirl and Arrow! Don’t! Save yourself from this ‘sloppiness’ and spare us too from your rant!

• Drew says:

If you’re so miserable reading my rant, why are you reading it?
        Your logic is inconsistent.

• Phun says:

Oh… I’m not miserable! I just find it hilarious that you watch a show such as Supergirl that you don’t like. Let’s see…. I don’t like Mexican food but I’ll still go to a restaurant that serves Mexican food so I can whine about how much Mexican food sucks! Wow! Oh BTW, good job adding the the post count! :)

• Drew says:

Maybe I am paid a good amount of money to watch TV shows.
            Maybe I am a student studying TV shows.
            Maybe I am in the business of making TV shows.
            Maybe I am a writer who feels that observing a story that I don’t find well written is just as valuable as observing those that are, so that I can avoid their mistakes.
            Or maybe I am none of the above and it’s just a hobby.
            In none of these cases would it be any of your business why I do what I do. If you disagree with me, feel free to explain why. If you’re just going to complain about the fact that not everyone in the world feels the same way you do on every topic… I guess you’re free to do that too, but don’t act surprised when my responses become increasingly sarcastic and probably insulting.

5. Whimsical says:

All that would have to happen is for upper level CBS executives to get their head out of their rears. This would be a huge rating bump for Supergirl, and needs to happen sooner rather than later.

• Oh, don’t worry about it. CBS is bound to have plenty of gimmicks planned to help lift its ratings. A crossover with Flash and/or Arrow is probably way below the list.

• Rob Watkins says:

The show’s ratings are fine.

• Let’s see how it sustains itself after the rebound it got, but to say that they are fine given the freefall they’ve been on is false.

• tvjunkie says:

Freefall? Maybe you should do some research before making a fool of yourself. Not counting last Monday’s episode the ratings had been pretty steady for 4 straight episodes (or half it’s run at the time). But then your false assumption and taking any chance you can to trash the show isn’t surprising as you are the tvline resident Supergirl troll. Furthermore it has routinely been #1 in the 18-49 demo in the Mon 8pm timeslot among scripted (non-reality) shows, just ahead of Gotham.

• leo says:

They consistantly win their time slot, but more importantly they were renewed.

• Whimsical says:

The shows ratings are barely adequate. Even if they were fine, its still dumb to reject and idea that would give your show a huge ratings bump. Its like saying – “No I don’t want any kobe beef- I like the C grade ground chuck Im currently eating.”

• Phoenix5634 says:

Didn’t Supergirl pull in like 12 million viewers the one episode? That’s ridiculous, obviously they’re not going to be able to sustain that, but even if a 50% drop happened, they’d still be doing a lot better than most shows on ratings.

6. A. D. says:

Just MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!

7. Tony says:

The idea we haven’t heard about Supes on Arrow/Flash being an issue is minor. A quick throw away line in any upcoming episodes would solve that issue.

8. Journey54 says:

Good, I hope it never happens. Supergirl is trash anyway

9. Katie says:

I’m not an Arrow watcher, unless it crosses over with the Flash, so I can really only speak about doing Supergirl/the Flash, and oh wow, that would be amazing. I think the Flash is probably a better option anyway, because it has the same sort of lightness and humor as Supergirl. (If they do this, they should try to have a Joe/Cat meeting because I think that would be hilarious)

• Phoenix5634 says:

I used to only watch the Flash too, but after this years crossover I gave Arrow another chance over the holidays an binged watched the whole series. I have to say it’s actually pretty good, I’ll be watching Arrow now too. Arrows actually getting better, it’s all the shippers who are sour about things. Lol.

10. Dave says:

As a fan, lets all just kick back and enjoy. I have waited 40 yrs to be able to enjoy all of my favorite characters from DC and Marvel alike on T.V. I think they are all great so keep it up.

11. Dude says:

So because they haven’t mentioned Superman thus far that means it’d be unbelievable that he exists in the world? Really? That’s what would be farfetched about this super crossover?

12. Jared says:

Other than the “creative” part as far as storylines go why would anything “corporate” get in the way of a Super Girl/Arrow/Flash/ LoT crossover from happening eventually? Aren’t all these series from DC Comics or Warner Brothers TV and the CW/CBS? I would understand if we were talking about Gotham and Fox trying to crossover but it seems like an ideal scenario to me.

13. herman1959 says:

I wouldn’t have any expectation that a crossover would happen this season of The Flash because so much ground needs to be covered to make up for all of the screen time devoted to the Legends rollout. However, I don’t see why we couldn’t see Supergirl, on her own, crossover to The Flash. We don’t need her cousin for that.

14. Luke says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Vandal Savage saying in one of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow trailers that he has seen “Men of Steel die and Dark Knights” ; of course the expressions can be interpreted in more ways than one though we all know what meaning they are suposed to have;

I agree that if a crossover is greenlight it would have to be with The Flash rather than Arrow since they would fit better; they can start using expressions like the ones above or mention things like National City, CatCo, Lord Technologies or even Daily Planet, Metropolis in dialogue or news; (it would also be fun seeing Barry as the more mature experienced superhero vs Kara);

all of this would require some time to set up so I can’t see any room for this to happen this season but it can be done next season which will give enough time to set everything up;

15. If people really want them to crossover, don’t watch Supergirl so the ratings go down far enough for CBS to consider moving it to the CW.

• Night says:

No they need to watch it so it can stay on TV and get renewed and have more great adventures. Seriously do you comment on only the stories that involve comic book shows? If you do then can you not say anything positive.

• Phun says:

Are you the president of the Supergirl Haters Club? Why do you think the CW would pick Supergirl up if CBS canceled it for some reason. No one picked up Constantine after NBC canceled it, even after there was a petition going around.

• CBS and WB own a shared interest in the CW.

• Dysturbed says:

CBS being part owner of the CW as well as their relationship with Greg Berlanti are the two primary reasons that would give Supergirl a better chance of being picked up by CW (if need be) than Constantine had.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Arnt CBS and CW basically like sibling networks? And WB owns the rights. These shows won’t be cancelled anytime soon, cuz WB is pushing their DC plan forward.

16. Ulli says:

In my opinion there are two ways to bring in Supergirl and Superman (and even all other persons) in the Flash Universe. 1: Mirror Universes and 2: Time spaces. If Supergirl and Superman should come from Earth-1, than use the theory of Time spaces. We know the Flash went back in Time and changed the linear timeline when he arrested the Weather Wizard in Season 1. After that, everything changes, a new timeline was created. However that does not mean the original timeline does not exists anymore or is deleted. Cisco remembered it. So Supergirl can meet The Flash coming from a different Timeline of Time Space. and have not even to go through a singularity like the characters from earth-2. Maybe even the Flash can be able to move to different time line, maybe with the help of Vibe (Cisco).

17. Annie says:

Reason #648599 as to why Supergirl should have been on the CW from the start. If they’re all under one roof, it’s a lot easier.

• therealjonpalmer says:

Except for the fact that a lot of homes don’t have the CW on their cable. I don’t. So, I CAN watch Supergirl. But, I can’t watch the CW shows.

18. Mo says:

Unless it’s one hero crossing over, it’ll be ungainly at best. This year’s had so many characters stuck with just being there in the background. And a 3-way crossover would amplify that. I just hope next year’s Flarrow crossover will involve less team members.

• herman1959 says:

It would have to; this season’s crossover was so crowded due to the need to tie in the characters from Legend..

19. Dr. M says:

They’ve got parallel Earths, time travel and magic. How can they not tweak Arrow/Flash to suddenly have Supergirl exist? Legends of Tomorrow goes back in time, steps on a butterfly, bam, Supergirl.

20. Terah says:

An arrow,flash and supergirl cross over will be nice. I love the idea

21. Phoenix5634 says:

I wonder what would happen if they gave Supergirl the Velocity-9 formula from the Flash. Lol Supergirl with the speedforce, now that’d be an unstoppable superhero.

22. Phoenix5634 says:

Here’s an idea…there’s already been the big crossover this year so just keep these stories going and give a nod near the end with a surprise appearance that will be a lead-in to a huge 3 part crossover with Arrow/Flash/Supergirl Next season, like it was done this year with the 2 part. All 3 shows crossing over would be so amazing, but it’d take a lot of work. So do it right, and do it next season.

• herman1959 says:

I like your basic concept, except for the 3-way crossover. I just don’t want to see Supergirl on Arrow because I don’t think the characters gel. A Supergirl/Flash (Slash?) crossover would be totally organic because Kara and Barry have similar personalities.

23. Robert says:

So either don’t do the crossover and not really upset anyone. Or do the cross over, fill Arrow and the Flash with the feminist BS Supergirl is filled with and potentially drive away 90% of your viewership for Arrow and the Flash. Yeah, keep them separate.

24. I don’t want it to happen, but I think a crossover with Flash makes more sense, given the relative “tones” of the shows and of course, the powers.

25. Luis says:

“Arrow” has been very careful to avoid references to other DC properties, out of deference to the DCCU. This leaves them the flexibility to consider the possibility of crossovers with other DC TV properties. The biggest problem with a “Arrow” or “Flash” crossover with “Supergirl” is, of course, the network crossing boundary. While I’m sure the CW would be happy with the cross promotion, it’s hard to see CBS giving essentially free advertising time to shows any other network, much less a minor league network like the CW. Still, it’s not a complete impediment to a crossover and it would be a very cool event.

• therealjonpalmer says:

CBS owns half of the CW. So, that wouldn’t be the problem. But, a lot of areas don’t have a CW affiliate and don’t have it on cable, either. I wouldn’t even get to see a Supergirl crossover to a CW show.

• Phoenix5634 says:

If you can find your way to this site, you can also find your way to a site you can watch it on. There’s several of them.

26. SYLDYR says:

Of course miht be with the Arrow ! Green Arrow is superman’s mate , let’s do those scene again :D

27. Osiris says:

How about some other CBS show crossovers with Supergirl? Like The Big Bang Theory. I mean these guys are all comic book nerds. Imagine their reaction if Supergirl shows up.
    It’s been done before. George Reeves appeared as Superman on an episode of I Love Lucy.
    Another other shows you think Supergirl could show up on?

• Hytecker says:

I’d prefer to see a crossover between Hawaii 5-0 and Blue Bloods. They could send Sellecks character to Hawaii for a much needed vacation when he spots a fugitive from a NY crime scene. I could see him walking past a rack of Hawaiian (Magnum) shirts and giving one of those looks like “Nah”!

28. Hytecker says:

They have to limit Supergirls appearances in other DC shows for the same reason the Flash can’t show up on Arrow every week. There would be no suspense with a Deathstroke when all Oliver had to do was call in his superpowered friends to do all the heavy lifting.

29. leo says:

For all the detractors, Leslie Moonves listed five new shows that will be renewed, supergirl is among those.

• Leo says:

Wonder how long Alex and J’onn will be on the run. The sister bonding was a strong point of the series.

• Osiris says:

Glad they wrapped that up in the season finale instead of leaving us hanging until a yet to be approved second season.