Kevin McKidd's Grey's Anatomy Contract

Kevin McKidd Eyes Grey's Anatomy Contract Extension: 'I Don't See Any Reason to Run Away'

Paging Dr. Owen Hunt… there’s some paperwork awaiting your signature.

Kevin McKidd is in negotiations with Grey’s Anatomy to extend his current contract, which is set to expire at the end of the ABC drama’s current 12th season.

At the Television Critics Assoc. winter press tour in Pasadena on Saturday, the actor confirmed to TVLine that he’s “in talks” on a new deal, adding that the likelihood of him signing on the dotted line is very high. “I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t happen. I love [the show].”

Since joining Grey’s Anatomy in Season 5, McKidd has seen his role expand — on screen and off. “I’m not being corny or giving you the party line, but this has been like a family for me,” he said. “I came in as just an actor, and now I’m directing, I’m also talking — tentatively —about developing something beyond Grey’s for Shondaland.

“Shondaland creates this environment where if you’re trusted and become part of the family then you’re given opportunities to thrive and grow,” he added. “I don’t see any reason why I would run away from that. I feel very blessed.”

And, seven seasons in, McKidd says he remains as enamored with Owen as ever. “I’m still unearthing [new] things about Owen that deepen the character,” he shared. “For many years, Owen was just a reflection of Cristina. He was there just as someone to bounce things off of Cristina. Now we’re getting to see Owen a little more independently and learn about who this guy is outside of the Cristina Yang of it all. So I’m really enjoying that. I don’t feel as though I’m finished.”

1. Charif says:

i never liked his character … and probably never will.

2. Toby says:

Nice! I hope every resigns from the OG cast for several more years. The show really has seen a creative resurgence this season.

3. aph1976 says:

I like that Kevin McKidd is apparently staying on Grey’s because i think there’s still more to learn about the character of Owen.Plus as much as i liked the character of Christina i think her been gone has opened up more story possibilities for Owen.

• Shar says:

I agree.. he’s a great actor and deserves more than being the boyfriend for various characters.

• Lorna says:

Agreed. He deserves better than Amelia, though. Love Owen and Kevin! Owen needs to sing more!

• Aurora says:

Amelia is just fine for him. They are very good for each other. May they leave now to the sunset together so that we just haven’t to watch these two unsuferable again in our screens?

4. Larc says:

I won’t mind a bit if this doesn’t work out.

5. dkwilley says:

I’ll give you a reason – because those of us that don’t watch grey’s would like to see you in something else!! (it was criminal that they cancelled Journeyman…….)

• Aurora says:

I’ll give you another, those who see you for the first time in this ShondaLand low quality show, will never guess how good actor you actually are man. They’ll never have the itch to look up to the awesome work you left behind.

6. Gary says:

Honestly after all these years not once has his character been given depth, everything has revolved around his service in the military or relationship with Christina. It’s time to let Owen take the reigns a bit and we learn about his past.

7. abz says:

His never warmed up to his character as I have with others. I find him boring and annoying and don’t want him and Amelia together. I don’t really care if we learn more about Owen or not. Even the new guy Nathan played by Martin Henderson has me more intrigued than Owen.
    Getting rid of him would be a perfect way to start trimming the fat on this already bloated cast.
    Honestly wish Teddy had stayed over Owen many seasons ago.

8. I like the actor and anyone would be foolish to get off the Shonda train right now.

9. Zoe says:

Sigh. I loved him in HBO Rome, 10 years ago so much that I actually followed him when he joined GA. Couldn’t stomach “Shondaland” for more than two years. I thought he actually deserves better roles in more interesting projects. But if he is so content with “Shondaland”, then be it.

10. I liked his character for a while, but feel it became very stale and one-dimensional. He has some little drama with Amelia, but he’s irrelevant for the big story. Now they try to give him some new story… but it feel like it would be better if he either has a huge change of personality or if he just leaves grey’s (and maybe go to another shondaland production)

11. Hiba Mouhanna says:

He’s smart. He knows what happens if you piss Shanda Off, She’ll just kill the character off.. ugh still can’t get over Derek’s death. :'(

12. Shaun says:

Think he’s a character they could dump for some new blood.Other possible targets should be Weber,April,Arizona(redundant with Alex there)and maybe Stephanie.Time to unclog the cast logjam.

13. Babygate says:

I like Kevin, don’t care for Owen much. He’s ok as a sounding board but his kissing nad sex scenes never fail to make me cringe. His caveman style scares me a bit. But he would be crazy to leave the golden goose.

14. My says:

I’d love to see him on Outlander if this doesn’t work out or when Grey’s ends!

15. jen says:

I adore Owen find him a real addition to the show. Being a hopeless romantic I love his caveman lovemaking.He has great facial expressions which show his emotions. I hope he doesn’t leave show

16. Bigdede says:

Noooooooooooooo!!!!! His character sucks. If he isn’t whining, he’s crying. There’s no point to keep him around.

17. EM says:

Wasn’t a fan of the character for years but he has grown on me. Any news on the contracts of Ellen Pompeo, Justin Chambers, James Pickens and Chandra Wilson? I think their contracts all expire this season too.

18. Ali says:

Oh, thank you Jesus! I’m so glad Kevin’s coming back. I’d die and go to gingerlicious heaven if he and Diego Klattenhoff starred together in something.

19. Yinju Sai says:

I found Shonda Rhimes is very personal / rather than profession in deciding which actors/roles to eliminate/continue/add. The show’s quality has been greatly impacted by her personal decisions. Unlike the first three seasons of grey’s anatomy, today’s is just of a lousy sitcom quality.