Chicago Crossover Severide/April Kiss

Chicago Crossover Recap: Herrmann's Fate Revealed — Plus, a Surprise Kiss and a Long-Awaited Engagement

NBC’s first three-way crossover between its Chicago shows kicked off with an eventful — and smoochy! — pair of Fire and Med episodes on Tuesday night.

There was a heavy mystery to solve as Firehouse 51’s rescue led the doctors to discover that a string of cancer-free women were given lethal overdoses of chemo.

But considering the bloody cliffhanger on Fire‘s last episode, you’ll have to forgive me for skipping over the case of the week and getting straight to Herrmann’s fate, as well as not one, but two big romantic developments.

FIGHTING TO LIVE | After several ups and downs and various complications, Herrmann survives the stabbing – but not before Dr. Connor Rhodes and Severide get into an argument about his medical care. The firefighter questions the doc’s treatment plan after learning from P.D.‘s Jay that his brother, Dr. Will Halstead, wouldn’t have waited so long to operate on Herrmann.

Chicago Fire/Med/PD Crossover“You stay out of the O.R., and I won’t run into any burning buildings, OK?” Dr. Rhodes tells Severide.

“You just better hope he makes it,” Severide challenges him.

Meanwhile, Jay’s unhappy that his bro got him involved in this conflict, and Connor and Will’s already tense relationship isn’t getting any warmer. Basically, it’s a Chicago hunks testosterone-off, and I don’t hate it.

ANOTHER CHANCE AT ROMANCE? | Yaya DaCosta wasn’t kidding when she told TVLine that April doesn’t have any closure when it comes to Severide! I doubt she’ll be getting some anytime soon after their unexpected liplock in the crossover. Severide then asks April to dinner and she accepts. But when her brother Noah, who has just started working at the hospital, begs her to help him study, she cancels on Severide. “You’ve been putting him ahead of you your whole life,” the firefighter argues, pointing out that she should be the doctor and that she’s only working as a nurse to put Noah through medical school. They leave things on an icy note as April responds, “Thank you for your concern, but I’m fine, and I don’t need your advice.”

HE SAID YES! | Mouch is so shaken by what’s happened to Herrmann, he fumbles his first attempt at a proposal to Platt, who calls him out on the bumbling mess. During take two, he tries to explain his behavior. “You know how couples say, ‘That’s my better half?’ That’s Herrmann to me — friend version,” he says, to which Platt replies that she’s the one who needs to apologize. “You are the kindest and most honest man I’ve ever met,” she declares, adding that she would be “the luckiest girl on Earth” to call him her husband. And then she pops the questions to him! (Mouch, of course, accepts because, let’s face it, Platt is the best and he is the lucky one.)

Chicago fans, what did you think of the crossover’s big surprises?

1. Staci says:

I thought the crossover was awesome. They did a great job on the transition between the two shows. Excited to see the conclusion tomorrow. I wish they could’ve put all the shows on the same day.

2. ama03819 says:

I didn’t even get to see Chicago Fire as my area aired the Syracuse-Clemson basketball game instead so I have no clue what happened during the first hour! Med was good though!

3. Bwhit says:

I love how they have made the relationships on these shows come together seamlessly (I’m not talking romantic ones at all, those don’t work, well except for Platt and Mouch) like the brothers Halstead, intelligence being there for the firehouse and Rhoades doing everything he can to save Hermann. They have done a great job blending this universe and making med fit perfectly. As a fan, I really enjoy it!

4. wrstlgirl says:

That was great, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the conclusion tomorrow on P.D.

5. Victoria says:

I’ve never watched Chicago Med but now I know I never will. Nurses aren’t nurses because they’re waiting around to become doctors.

• Sara says:

Ummm…that was never said nor implied in the show. I believe you are referring to the Severide/April talk that is mentioned in the above recap. Severide was merely saying that April (not ALL nurses) wanted to be a doctor and put aside her desires to financially support her brother and April talked about how in her family, the male child was destined to be the doctor, not her. Since you don’t watch the show, you missed the entire context of the discussion and statement.

• Bwhit says:

Yep!!!! I am a nurse and didn’t take that conversation any way other than what you just described. Med is fantastic in my opinion.

• ds says:

By not watching, you are missing a great show.

6. KT says:

Now, don’t get me wrong because I look forward to watching these shows, but what’s the deal with Dawson and Severide questioning Dr. Rhodes? I think I’m mostly annoyed because Dawson bugs me so much. “What are we doing to save him?” “Uh, nothing, because you AREN’T a doctor so back off.”

When will she ever learn? Ugh. Casey is too good for her.

• wrstlgirl says:

I found that extremely irritating as well. Mostly because of how she acts when someone questions her abilities as a firefighter. But these writers are adamant about making Gabby super woman so I expect that kind of holier than thou crap to continue, LOL!!! In the end Severide thanked Rhodes, he knew he was out of line.

• mag says:

KT I agree with you to a point about Dawson I can’t stand her either. She and those facial expressions which gets on my last nerve. But I’m not crazy about Casey either.

• Kasey vasicek says:

I am so glad I am not the only one who is not a fan of Dawson. Sadly I keep hoping she will get blown up. But when I’ve mentioned my dislike in the past the other fans of this show have shown me no love.

7. James D says:

good crossover. I really like how it started small with the suicide patient than spiraled into chemo overdose (it’s a special kind of rotten to kill people by overdosing them on chemo, seriously wtf humanity) Glad Hermann will pull through we all knew he would but still nice to see it happen, I wonder if this will force him into some sort of desk job though I’d think after all that damage to his lung they’d not let him fight fires anymore. happy for Mouch that guy deserves some love.

8. Joel Felan says:

Great crossover event! Wasn’t too excited about the P.D. & MED spinoffs but now I don’t miss them. Love how the chracters crossover frequently. Anymore spinoffs coming?! Jk.

9. Kimiko says:

Loved it. These three shows make my week.

10. Maryann says:

I have just seen Chicago Med plus the preview for Chicago PD. i think they botched it. They are still stringing along whether Hermann lives or dies, giving him maybe ten minutes per episode on the follow ups. The problem is, I only care about Hermann’s fate, not all the other plotlines in the crossover episodes. To me, these really good plotlines are being wasted. I would care about them if I were not so worried about Hermann, but as it is, I just want to hurry past them to see how he is doing. Swing and miss, Mr. Wolff.

• ds says:

Dr. Rhoades said that Hermann will be fine in the Med episode. By fast forwarding you probably missed it. It was an AWESOME crossover event. I hope they do more!

11. Carrie says:

I love the three Chicago Fire/Med/PD shows!! And I set the DVR for last night and tonight’s episodes so I could watch them all in a row (even though I’ve already taken a spoiler moment and read the article). But I still can’t wait to watch them all!!

12. ginger says:

I liked it too and agree it should all be on one night and have them all the time

13. Sara says:

I loved the first two parts of the crossover event! I was pretty much in tears during Chicago Fire in my worry over Herrmann and with Cruz’s feelings of guilt. The Chicago Med portion took it over wonderfully and really set up a great bridge to Chicago PD. And that preview for Chicago PD…I can’t remember the last time I gasped out loud during one, but when the presumed bad guy said that thing about Voight’s wife…wow, I can’t wait to see how that plays out tonight!!!

14. jakis says:

Team Connor all the way. Just sayin.

15. Laura C says:

I like Chicago Fire, but only watch PD and Med when they crossover. On their own, I’m not much interested. I like the characters on Fire better too so that’s just me. I’m glad for those who enjoy all 3.

16. Hmm says:

This is the best franchise I have ever seen. There, I said it.

17. Brenda says:

I never miss Chicago Fire, Chicago PD or Chicago Med. All three are great shows, the cast of each is top notch! Glad there are a few decent t.v. shows to watch and Look forward to many years of each of these being on the air! Thank you Dick Wolf you have the golden touch!

18. Marianne says:

I like the Cross-over programs. That way you don’t have to wait all week to see what happens next. I really like all 3 of theses shows! Keep up the good story-lines too. Been a fan ever since the First Season.

19. Siwan says:

I don’t watch Med or Fire, but am planning to watch both when I have time, will I still understand PD or am I better off waiting until I’ve watched all previous Med and Fire episodes and then watch all 3 episodes of the cross over in order?

• wrstlgirl says:

Definitely wait and watch them in order.

• wrstlgirl says:

I meant watch all three episodes of the crossover in order :-)

• Mary says:

You can watch PD on its own – no problem.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, PD hadn’t aired yet when I commented. Very disappointed in the third installment of the crossover. Was basically a stand alone episode. No mention of Herrmann at all and barely any Med.

• Marianne says:

I like the “Chicago” cross-over episodes. Herrmen’s incident has everyone upset to where they Mouch can’t even think straight, but can understand where he’s coming from. Love always there for Severide and April after all. Two doctors have confrontations! Something always happening! Keep watching shows…..

20. Mary says:

Can’t get into Chicago Med. The characters seem wooden and the dialogue doesn’t come across as credible the way it’s delivered. Too bad cuz I love Platt and Merkerson (the only two worth watching).

21. Larry says:

Awesome wish they could combine all three shows every week. Daughter in law enforcement another in medical field and myself retired with 22 years as firefighter (capt). What a rush. Let’s go Hermann.

22. Joanna says:

Does anyone remember the backdoor pilot for Med? From what I remember, April was a doctor. Then the show comes along, and she’s suddenly a nurse? Anyone else remember this?

• Marianne says:

I watched Chicago Fire and Chicago Med. Haven’t watched Chicago PD to find out who injected people with overdoses of Chemo when they didn’t even have Cancer!

• Mck says:

Tag for Dvrs. Will probably watch Chicago PD tonight and find out who the culprit is injectin people that don’t have cancer and why!

23. racingphan says:

I’m gonna miss Herrmann.

24. I’ve been a fan of Chicago PD since day one. My nephew highly recommended that I tap into Chicago Fire, which he said I’d love. I do! Started with season one of Chicago Fire. Been overdosing on this brilliant show and haven’t been getting much sleep since I’ve been catching up on previous seasons. The crossover episode was awesome! Not so sure about Chicago Med yet. But I’m solidly locked into CPD and CFD. Thank you, Mr. Wolff. You’ve got the Midas touch!

25. Chicago Fire has had so many ‘AWWW’ and warm-and-fuzzy moments for me that I keep a fresh box of Kleenex within an arm’s reach before watching an episode. GREAT SHOW!

26. Isn’t it about time for Otis to get some love in his life? I’m crazy about his big brown puppy dog eyes. And those dimples…!

27. Vicki says:

Just saw Hermann on Chicago PD even though he is still in the hospital on Fire and PD. What’s up?

• Jackie says:

That’s what I’m trying to figure out! Watch them all, feel like I missed something since he was fine and back to work after he was last seen in not too good of shape on Med (which I’m in the middle if the new episode waiting to see if he’s stil there!)

28. Vicki Manchester says:

Loved the crossover! However, I’m very disappointed that there was not an episode showing Hermans’ recovery. He was stabbed and than working like nothing happened. Very disappointing!

29. safe Chloe says:

sooooooooooooooonice

30. Moyra O'Neill says:

what episodes are they? I need to see them