ABC Family Cancelled Series

Cancelled ABC Family Series: Twisted, Chasing Life, Ravenswood and 7 Other Cliffhangers (Finally) Resolved

ABC Family might still have us hooked with hits like Pretty Little Liars and The Fosters, but let’s not forget that the network — which transitions to Freeform on Jan. 12 — also has a history of suddenly canceling our dreams favorite shows, leaving us high and dry.

With less than a month until the network draws its final breath — in name, at least — TVLine is looking back at 11 of ABC Family’s unfinished series in the hopes of finally getting some closure.

Who took a bullet on Twisted? Would Chasing Life‘s April have died in Italy? Which girl would end up with Kyle XY? And did Chloe King really give the kiss of death? Those cliffhangers, plus a whole bunch more, are resolved in our gallery — though you’ll see there’s still one inclusion whose ends remain loose. It’s my White Whale.

(Disclaimer: I included The Secret Life of the American Teenager in this roundup, not because it had a stunted run — at 121 episodes, it lived nearly seven times as long as Bunheads — but because its original ending was so heinous that series creator Brenda Hampton was asked [by the media] to clean up her own mess two years later.)

Browse our gallery of cancelled classics below — you can click here for direct access — then drop us a comment: Which ABC Family cancellations still have you feeling salty? Any major ones we left out? (Speak up, Wildfire fans!)

1. NLOCK…..*tears*. I really would have liked to have seen this on screen.

2. Jackie Hartwick says:

Really disappointed ABC Family gave up on Bunheads. Really family friendly show with a great cast.

• c-mo says:

I agree with you, I loved the show and was highly disappointed when it was cancelled but I have a feeling that the reasons you cite for it being a great show (my assumption based on your comment) are the reasons it was cancelled; it wasn’t edgy or angsty enough for the network;

• Ray says:

I can’t even remember all the characters names aside from Truly and Sasha.

3. Daniel says:

Still sad about the Lying Game. And The Secret Circle is missing from this list. That was painful.

4. Sara says:

I am so disappointed on the lack of The Lying Game. I loved that show! So terrible.

5. Andrew says:

I’ll never forgive them for cancelling “The Middleman”.

6. Cory says:

I know most PLL fans hated Ravenswood, but while I did like PLL for a long time, RW is my favorite ABC Family series to date. It was super interesting, and I liked the approach of each episode shedding layers of the mystery or revealing a bit more, as opposed to PLL’s approach is non-answer followed by a red herring.

• Adri says:

I agree, Cory, and I am so dissapointed of way did happened, because i am sure that if they hadn’t cancelled RW, the story would have been so different.

7. Kate says:

I join you on your quest for the white whale of what happens next on the Lying Game. That was a super annoying cancellation.

8. Rebecca says:

All I wanted was more Sarah & George. Sigh.

9. Annie says:

This article just makes me mad all over again at how trigger-happy ABC Family is. They never give good little shows a chance to get off the ground, or leave it on hiatus so long that they just decide to pull the plug for whatever weak reason. I loved Twisted and 10 Things, and other shows that didn’t even make this list, like Make It or Break It and the show about fat camp. I think it was called Big? But that was groundbreaking and they never even gave it a chance. So lame.

10. Steven says:

The only ABC Family show I enjoyed before The Fosters was Greek. I’m so glad that show was given a proper ending.

11. George says:

Thank you for this. I realized when I clicked on the link to the “Chasing Life” interview & saw the date it was originally posted I was right in the middle of a 10 day vacation (where I pretty much cut myself off from the interwebs) and had no idea that info was given.

12. MJ says:

I loved Jane By Design. It was definitely cancelled too early. I really wanted to see how long Jane could keep up the lie.

13. Morgane says:

Forever made for The Nine Lives of Chloe King and The Lying Game.

I lost interest in Chasing Life a few episodes before but this show still deserved a better ending.

Another show who isn’t on the list but I will forever be made for the cancelation is Make It or Break It. I mean, the whole point of the show was the olympics and we didn’t go that far !

14. Emily says:

It’s been so long since I’ve thought about Kyle XY and that terrible cliffhanger we were left with that broke my heart… Now I’m gonna have to go dig out my DVD’s to watch it again…

15. Jalahyacinth says:

10 Things! I loved that show. Grrrr ABC Family.

16. Candice says:

I miss The Middleman, The Lying Game and Chloe King. I like that they were going to go with Chloe and Alek.

17. Jen says:

I thought Alek and Chloe did kiss on nine lives. She just wasn’t in love with him yet. I disliked Brian’s character so much. Super wanted to see Jane and bully get together

• Jen says:

I know in the nine lives book Brian and Chloe ended up together so I always assumed that’s how the show would have gone. Glad to hear that’s no the case.

18. Linda says:

Bunheads and Twisted.

19. Fred says:

I wish there was an outlet that always does this: ask creators of a cancelled show how things would have ended and what their plans were for following seasons, and to clear up some mysteries and loose ends.
    I’m still dying to know all theses things about ABC’s 666 Park Avenue hahaha

20. Nicole says:

Ah, Kyle XY. Adored that show. And it basically was the flagship ushering in the ‘new kind of family’ they were going for. Really wish it had gotten a longer run.

21. ChrisGa says:

Loved The Lying Game and Twisted.

22. Diz says:

Kyle XY was my favorite of all time with Wildfire close behind. I still need scoop on Make it or Break it, Falcon Beach, & Lincoln Heights! So many shows just thrown to the side, Lying Game, Twisted, Chloe, Jane, ect. I stopped watching the network about 2 years ago because of all the cancellations. The only thing I have kept up with is The Fosters.

• tiffanie Orr says:

Yeah falcon beach was the 1st show i watched on abc family i still miss it. But the lying game should have gotten a proper ending.

23. Beckers0505 says:

Really miss Jane by Design! Loved that show!!

24. Marisa says:

I’m still upset that ABC Family gave up on Twisted. That was one of my favorite shows next to The Fosters

25. Ashley says:

I would love to know more about Wildfire. Like did Kris and Junior stay married and what happened to Matt.

26. Alyssa says:

I still want to know what would’ve been next on Higher Ground!! I know it’s been 15 years, but I miss that show!!!

27. Julia says:

Sigh…missing Bunheads and Chasing Life. :(

28. chadcronin says:

I am still sad about Kyle XY. Also mad about The Lying Game and Twisted. I could have also enjoyed more Wildfire.

29. Chuck says:

I will never watch ABC Family or whatever they call it. They cancelled Kyle XY and I will not forgive that.

30. Jared says:

The Lying Game is probably my favorite short lived TV series that ABCFamily cancelled prematurely. The lack of closure,even to this day, is so disappointing. So much potential wasted.

31. Sheldon W. says:

I like Javier Grillo-Marxuach’s graphic novel finale to The Middleman better than that script. It ties the comics Middleman and Dubbie to the TV Middleman and Dubbie and is a real ride.

32. eviloverlore says:

Oh, man, The Lying Game end is my white whale, too! So frustrating! I gave up all ABCFamily after the cancellation of Bunheads (and I think Lying Game was in the same time frame), and I’ve been happy not to look back. I have some interest in the new Shadowhunters series, but we’ll have to find an alternative way to watch it because I am not giving ABCF or whatever it will become my eyeballs for ad dollars again.

33. Misha says:

Why cancel Lying Game!? Why, God, why?! *cries*

34. LindseyF says:

I was so mad when they cancelled The Lying Game for Twisted and Ravenswood, two shows that didn’t last very long on the network. I’m glad that they gave Chasing Life a decent chance though. The ratings were way too low for a season 3 renewal, but I’m okay with the last episode.

35. EmisonShippertilTheEnd says:

I’ll never forgive Brenda Hampton for ending ‘Secret Life’ the way she did. It was just horrible. Also, still mad about Adrian’s miscarriage. Really, ABC Family? Nonetheless, it has still been my favorite network for at least like 7 years. I went through the better part of my teenage years with ABC Family, starting with Secret Life and now hoping for a satisfying conclusion to PLL. I have a love-hate relationship with Marlene King. xD

36. erica taylor says:

I want nine lives of Chloe king to come back on what happens?

37. Ahaja says:

Loved Twisted and Kyle XY. Hopefully another network would pick these shows up and keep them going.

38. dennise says:

Twisted….it was an awesome show nothing like it is out very suspensful!!!t They need to bring it back or at least give it a proper ending so many questions were left unanswered.

39. Heaven says:

10 things I hate about u
    Bun heads
    Twisted
    The lying game
    Secret life of an American teenager
    Jane by design
    Chasing life

I want all of these to have a good finale I HATED the way they ended all these shows!! It’s crazy if u start a show u should at least give it a proper ending!!!!

40. Renae says:

The show must come back on NOW!!!!