Chris Hemsworth Hosts SNL: What Were the Best and Worst Sketches?

If it feels like Chris Hemsworth just hosted Saturday Night Live, it’s because he practically did.

Just 13 episodes have passed since the Artist Sometimes Known as Thor last stopped by on March 8, but he returned for the holiday season as game as ever for more Studio 8H tomfoolery.

Admittedly, we weren’t so keen on the God of Thunder’s inaugural hosting stint, but second time’s the charm, right?

The could-be L’Oréal model did his best playing a bullish version of himself in the opening monologue, and a cop who refused to let an open wound get him down, but nothing could top Will Ferrell’s surprise return as our former Commander in Chief.

Overall, it was far from SNL‘s worst, and somewhat of an improvement on Hemsworth’s first time as host, but the writing still left much to be desired, much like the Rotten Tomatoes score for In the Heart of the Sea.

Lo and behold, my picks for best and worst sketches:

BEST: An Announcement from George W. Bush
Will Ferrell’s top-of-show cameo was an absolute delight, and a perfect way for the show to address the current GOP chaos without calling on Taran Killam to impersonate a “knuckle-headed” candidate whose comments can no longer be taken in jest. Best of all was Bush’s assessment of brother Jeb: “It’s a pretty good plot twist that I turned out to be the smart one.” Though he’ll never get the third term he claims he’s running for, we certainly wouldn’t mind seeing Ferrell back as the former POTUS before this election cycle is up.

BEST: Time To Bleed
This short film about a cop who won’t let an open bullet wound stop him from finishing things “all the way” was funnier than it had any right to be. From his effort to finish paperwork as he bled out at his desk, to his attempt at hitting a punching bag as he suffered through lead poisoning, we couldn’t help but laugh right up until Kalowski’s inevitable demise.

HONORABLE MENTION: Opening Monologue
There’s nothing quite like a classic Chris Hemsworth psych-out. But even better was a classic Michael Che psych-out, as he doubled down on Hemsworth’s prank and knocked the script pages right back out of Colin Jost’s hands.

WORST: Deborah’s Time
“Oh God, Deborah: When are you going to stop this?” Our thoughts exactly. We couldn’t help but ask ourselves that very question as this sketch about an obscure Broadway tune sing-a-long carried on for four minutes without ever landing on a decent punchline.

WORST: Mark the Pirate
Newest Not Ready for Primetime Player Jon Rudnitsky hasn’t had much screen time this fall. Unfortunately, his first big showcase was one giant bomb. This pirate sketch about a seafarer named Mark who likes to “keep things light” should’ve walked the plank immediately after dress rehearsal.

Your turn. What did you think of this week’s SNL? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. hbeachman says:

The fact that they repeated the Aron’s List commercial from earlier in the season in place of the last sketch speaks volumes. Must’ve realized what they had planned really sucked.

2. J smith says:

Hard to be funny if 90% of the show is sacrificed to bashing republicans. Half of the cast needs to be scrapped and all new writers hired. Hiring minorities just because they are minorities doesn’t work. A little talent is necessary.

3. DarkDefender says:

I thought it was pretty good. Lots of funny moments, WU was solid and the Time For Blood short was a hoot. I also liked the Star Wars collectible/toy commercial and CH in a wig & dress (bitches!).
    Replaying the chomo Angie’s list was lazy and the BEST of the night (by a mile) was Will Ferrell. This election cycle is ripe for satire. If they can get him to pop up as Dubya.. They can get Larry Sanders back as Bernie.

4. Tom says:

I’m sorry but “This is an ass” is part of what’s keeping me away from Empire. That and I’m not a big hip hop fan. And Ilene Chaiken pissed me off with Jenny Schecter and killing off Dana Fairbanks

5. sfcpres says:

One of the best lines I have heard in a long time on this show…
    Kate’s Angela Merkel talking about Trump and his concern about Germany “Maybe he likes our old stuff better”. The WU was good, the Star Wars commercial was good, terrible that this staff of writers can’t come up with something to fill the final 3 minutes than a re-broadcast of ARON’s List. Really could have stopped watching after Ferrell’s cold opening. Not much to get excited about after that – grade C overall.

6. weblog8 says:

What went wrong that they had to replay Aron’s List? They must have had a new skit planned, right? Something happened.

• TD says:

Most likely they didn’t end up with enough time for the skit (it being live TV and all).

• Marc says:

Perhaps we can find out from someone who attended the dress rehearsal or SNL will put a video of it. There is no way that it is as bad as some of the other cut sketches they have posted.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

I give the Chris Hemsworth episode of SNL a B. Great to see Will Ferrell back as George W. Bush in the cold open and last year’s Sexiest Man Alive was good but not as great than he was in his first outing back in March. As for Jon Rudnitsky, I know he’s the newest cast member this season but they need more screen time from him to make a good first impression. So excited about Tina & Amy as they co-host the final SNL of 2015 next week.

8. ToyCannon says:

It is about time for Taran’s “Jebidiah Atkinson” to return to Weekend Update. It is the best recurring character they have. He could do a year end review, critiquing the best and worst things of 2015.

9. chippersgirl says:

Will Ferrell stole the entire show!

10. AngelWasHere says:

Time to bleed was the only skit that made me laugh. The rest was pretty lame. They had a decent show last week, but it was a flop this week as usual. *sigh*

11. Larry Stewart says:

I liked Chris Hemsworth but I thought the sketches uniformly were not so great.
    (I couldn’t bring myself to watch some of them even though I am generally a fan of the show. )

12. The show was fine, other than the repeated Aron’s list commercial. How odd. If they mistimed the episode, they could have repeated one from a long time ago, maybe a classic one. This made no sense.

13. really boring episode overall, next week should be amazing though

14. I laughed a lot this episode. Thought it was solid outing. And I liked the “Deborah’s Time” sketch – but that might be cuz I love Broadway tunes and thought “the show that no one knows, but they do know” was on point.

• Ryan says:

I agree. I know this sketch definitely wasn’t for everyone, but especially if you have a musical theatre background, this sketch was absolutely on point. I appreciated it so much.