Super Bowl Late Show After

Super Bowl 50: Late Show to Air Live in Coveted Post-Game Time Slot, Followed by a Special Late Late Show

CBS is handing the coveted post-Super Bowl ball to Stephen Colbert, and he’s gonna run with it — live.

Amid much speculation about which CBS series would follow the well-watched NFL championship on Sunday, Feb. 7, 2016, the network has announced that a live telecast of The Late Show With Stephen Colbert has scored that prime real estate (airing at or around 10/9c). Broadcasting from the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York, Late Show will be the first late-night program to air in the post-Super Bowl slot.

Last February’s Super Bowl XLIX drew north of 114 million viewers to NBC, almost 27 million of which stuck around for a special airing of The Blacklist.

Then, following your late local news, CBS will air a special edition of The Late Late Show With James Corden (at approximately 11:35 pm). TVLine hears that details on Late Late Show’s broadcast are being worked out, but at minimum Corden will tape toward the end of the big game.

“It’s been a very big year in late night at CBS,” CBS entertainment president Glenn Geller said in a statement. “We’re extremely proud of our two new late night franchises, and we’re thrilled to give Stephen and James this big Super Bowl Sunday showcase.”

What do you think of CBS’ Super move? Did anyone have this in their office pool? (Because we obviously didn’t; see below.)

1. yaskme71 says:

Superbowl post slot hasn’t helped any show within the last few years so why not?

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Very happy about the news. Colbert and Corden are going to rocked the Super Bowl come February 7, 2016.

3. Jane says:

Both are terrific shows. The hosts are multi-talented and hilarious!

• magsmcdee says:

I agree! I love James Corden on the Late, Late Show. He’s funny, sweet, talented and his format is unique which makes for a great little show.

4. Katy says:

Huh? Really……did not expect this, was expecting Supergirl or maybe Limitless.

• Jess says:

I definitely thought Supergirl. “Watch a super sized episode of CBS’s Supergirl, after Super Bowl 50”

• jg says:

Agree. Something about tv that people are actually watching.
      Might as well run a political infomercial which Colbert practically is.

• Win says:

I agree that I wasn’t expecting this, but I’m intrigued to see if it does turn viewers on to either show, and I certainly think both hosts will have fun with the format. Still, I haven’t seen a post-superbowl show that I wasn’t already watching that made me a new viewer.

5. jg says:

I don’t watch sports. Hate footsball. PASS ON THIS.

6. tvjunkie says:

CBS just fumbled the ball.

• Patrick says:

Badly. I guess Cooper wouldn’t agree to an extended role on Limitless, and Supergirl’s lead time with FX might have precluded them getting this slot. Either that, or the PTB at CBS weren’t willing to give that coveted slot to a show that isn’t “in house.” Probably why none of Chuck Lorre’s shows got the slot.
      Regardless, this was a fumbled opportunity. At a minimum I expected a cross over NCIS event that included cast members from all three shows. I guess the contracts precluded this. But this was a huge lost opportunity for CBS.

7. bshaid says:

I sure miss Dave. I tape Kimmel and watch the next day; I watch Fallon on Friday because of his thank you notes. Cobert does nothing for me…

8. herman1959 says:

Surprise! I really thought it would be Limitless.

9. Eric says:

Eh. They have plenty of shows that would have been better fits after the SB so this is a miss by them. I doubt I’ll watch Colbert as I just haven’t gotten into his show. I’ll probably find something else to watch. If anything, I’ll watch CBS for Corden.

• c-mo says:

I’ve finally decided it’s his voice, it’s very grating and the interviews I’ve watched, he seems slightly condescending so both of those things together make Kimmel (even with his awful beard) my late night choice.

• Patrick says:

He really does talk down to the viewers. Its getting worse every episode.

• Eric says:

I think that’s probably it with me. I haven’t been able to make it through an entire episode because there’s just been something about him that annoys me and I’m beginning to think it’s his voice.

10. Emor says:

Wow. Did NOT see that coming. Sorry Rush Hour, I tried my best.

11. Angela says:

Cool! I’ll be there and watching :)!

12. NJMark says:

The premise is that the game broadcast runs from 6-10 (ET), and the post-game slot would be 10-11. But when was the last time the Super Bowl broadcast ended anywhere close to 10? It’s usually 10:30 or even 11 before the next show starts.

13. Hipper says:

i thought ABC once aired Jimmy Kimmel post Superbowl a while back.

• Amelia says:

That was Jimmy Kimmel’s first episode. But ABC played a post game Bon Jovi performance then they played an episode of Alias, then they played Kimmel.

14. Diz says:

Blah, he does nothing for me.

15. Jim J. says:

Considering that I was actually expecting “Scorpion” to get the post-Super Bowl 50 lead-out timeslot, I can’t say I’m excited about this announcement. Any explanation for the decision not to go with a scripted series for the post-SB timeslot this year?

During the past few years, the post-SB slot has done virtually nothing to elevate a scripted series (“Elementary”, “New Girl”/”Brooklyn 9-9”, “The Blacklist”). SB-lead-out shows tend to have astronomical series highs in viewership, but then that viewership falls to at or below the levels that they were before its SB episode.

16. Paul says:

What a disappointment. This is such a lost opportunity to spotlight a new show Supergirl, a returning show Person of Interest, a ratings winner NCIS plus bringing new eyes to NCIS LA and NCIS New Orleans. It also would have given Scorpion a boost. Hell even a well scripted live episode of the Big Bang Theory and Mom would be better than the strum and drag they have chosen in Colbert and Corden.