Post Mortems
Vampire Diaries Bonnie Enzo

Vampire Diaries EP Explains Bonnie's New Relationship, Damon's Dark Plan, the Latest 'Steroline' Crisis and More

This week’s Vampire Diaries saw the birth of a new romance, the rekindling of an old flame and the twisted promise of murder — a typical Thursday in Mystic Falls, really.

Executive producer Caroline Dries spoke with the press about this week’s biggest twists (#Benzo?!) and how they’ll affect the show’s future. But first, a quick recap:

* The latest flash-forward revealed Bonnie’s future love interest to be none other than… wait for it… Enzo!
* Valerie told Stefan the truth about their almost-baby, a fact he neglected to relay to Caroline before offering to let Valerie live with him.
* Alaric learned that “Jo” isn’t really Jo, as the Phoenix Stone actually holds other vampires’ souls.
* And Damon, upon learning that Lily suggested Kai put Elena under the sleeping spell, decided to let her bring back Julian… so she can watch him die at Damon’s hands.

Vampire Diaries Bonnie EnzoBONNIE’S NEW MAN | The idea for a Bonnie/Enzo pairing began in Episode 21 of Season 6 when Enzo visited came to visit Lily at the Salvatore Mansion, where he was met at the door by Bonnie. “Kat [Graham] and Michael [Malarkey] had such … chemistry in that really short scene,” Dries recalls. “We were like, ‘Huh … Let’s explore that relationship.’ Of course, they have no reason to like each other; in the present day, we’ve been telling their hate story. So the whole point is that, when you see them in the future, you’re supposed to be like, ‘Wait, how did they get to there?’ Hopefully it created enough intrigue to keep [fans] guessing.”

TYLER’S SECOND COMING | As TVLine previously reported, fans have not seen the last of Tyler Lockwood. Now, Dries is ready to tease a little more about what she calls the “mythology arc” in which Tyler will find himself: “He’s going to have sort of a side story that will help us later in the season to introduce us to this new world.”

JULIAN VS. ENZO | Is Mystic Falls’ next Big Bad everything we expect him to be? Not so much, as it turns out. “Hopefully you’ll be presently surprised when you meet him,” Dries says. “He’s fun and full of life and charming and incredibly attractive. … The fun will be trying to make him reveal his true self.” And speaking of Lily’s suitors, Enzo will be invited to next week’s homecoming party for Julian. “He’ll show up and judge the competition,” Dries teases. “He’s not out [of the family] completely yet.”

tvd-joJO NO! | If you’re worried about the future of “Jo” and Alaric, I’d like to congratulate you on having a healthy sense of fear. “We have this mythology with the Phoenix Stone and what it actually does, so the mystery for the next episodes will be how Faux-Jo — or whatever you want to call her — can integrate into the world we’ve created at Mystic Falls and at Whitmore,” Dries explains. Meanwhile, Alaric will struggle with how to “handle somebody who looks exactly like your dead wife, but isn’t.”

As for those twins we saw in last week’s episode, Dries says we’ll get “some pretty good info” during the “teaser, so to speak, of the next episode. So don’t come in late to that episode.” (And in case you’re wondering, it’s “possible” that the spirit inside Jo’s body is someone we know, but Dries says she “wouldn’t start writing fan fiction” about it if she were us.)

STEROLINE’S PLOT THICKENS | As more information is revealed about Stefan and Valerie’s past, “it will start to make [Caroline] feel insecure about where she stands with him,” Dries says. “She’s not an insecure character, [but] these little things keep chipping away at her. … Stefan will struggle with how to be a good guy to validate his relationship with Valerie and also feel like he’s not leaving Caroline in the dust. … In Episode 6, he’ll admit how this affects him, even in present day. [Meanwhile, Caroline is] going to find an inner strength she didn’t know she had.”

X MARKS THE PLOT | Lastly, let’s talk about those weird X-shaped scars that keep popping up, both in the present day and in flash-forwards. “We saw in the future that Stefan has that scar, and we saw that Bo has one that’s healed,” Dries notes, promising that “right when you think you understand how Stefan got his in the future, you’re going to be thrown for a loop. It will be a recurring theme throughout the rest of the season.”

Your thoughts on the latest TVD developments? Hopes and fears for the future? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. Alisha says:

Ugh.. Just let Steroline be.. Their scene at the beginning was so cute.. Stefan deserves to be happy & he’s so cute with her.. I dont thnk Stefan/Valerie wil bel a thing though.. Just the kid situation will cause troubles.. Dont know how i feel abt Bonnie/Enzo.. Still hoping for Bamon..

• MT says:

The flash forwards are the most entertaining parts and the mystery of the vampire hunter, now the twist of the marks. I wonder if Tyler’s link with mythology has anything to do with Stefan’s hell? I hope this does put a damper on the SC. Not everyone enjoys them and I for one can’t wait to see how things develop with him and Valerie, even if it’s for a little while. They need to have Stefan mix it up because not everyone is on board the SC train and this gives a nice break from that. SV scenes were really heartbreaking, Stefan saying he lost something he didn’t know he had. Then telling Valerie yes he did want the baby. ahhh! Not sure about Bonnie and Enzo yet I’ll have to keep watching. I feel like they should let Elena rest and let Damon move on he’s got a lot on his plate right now and the show constantly bringing her up is boring. She’s not on the show anymore please move on! Does anyone know when exactly Lily met Julian? That could be an interesting piece if she ‘knew’ him before having children.

• Nicole says:

The only thing I liked about this episode was Stefan and Valerie. I felt so bad for Stefan, he’s lost so much.

• Ally Oop says:

I rather dislike the Flashforwards but am really enjoying this season. I don’t miss Elena at all, she was such a whiny annoying character. I like the character of Valerie and welcome a relationship between her and Stephen. I still hope for Damon and Bonnie to get together cause their chemistry has always been amazing. My guess on a possibility for the person inhabiting Jo’s body: Katherine Pierce.

• Moni says:

I doubt it will be Katherine Pierce because that would mean the actress who plays Elena (Nina Dovrev) will have to come on the show and play Katherine–and she wouldn’t do that because she left the show (and thats why the Elena character is ‘sleeping’ for 70 years).

• Carrie says:

Why the heck would they need Nina to come back to play Katherine? If it is Katherine she’s in Jo’s BODY!!!

• Tori says:

I hope Sterosnooze break up for good. Every episode with them make me dislike Caroline even more. Not only do we have to put up with their no chemistry mess but now we have to put up with her insecure whiny ways. I don’t think Stefan and Valerie have chemistry either but I can put up with Valerie more than Caroline.

2. Gabriel Anthony says:

Bonnie and Enzo? Really? Everything with the Phoenix stone, Valerie, the ff’s, was so good and then they decide to make that dumb move. Oh dries, please, just quit tvd

• Disappointing_really says:

Let me put it this way, Damon & Bonnie would’ve been intriguing. Enzo and Bonnie is just contrived. I’m not watchinng ti.

• Bella says:

I started watching again this season hoping for a Bamon pairing but alas another wasted opportunity. I will be tuning out again. As if Bonnie would ever go for someone like Enzo talk about unrealistic. I could understand if it was Alaric or Matt but Enzo what the h*ll are they thinking.

3. Goldenvibefan says:

Hmm I sense a theme in the cw. The Phoenix stone and the Lazarus pit both contain souls of other people and basically has the character thats been brought back go crazy and not be themselves (Jo, Sara). Just an observation I have :D

4. Dannah says:

They mentioned that the spirit inside of Jo could be someone that we know. I’m wondering if it’s possible for it to Vicky. I thought about maybe Lexi too, but she ended up crossing to the otherside peacefully. It would be really interesting if it was Jenna but I don’t think that they would do that.

5. zsatsie says:

while I think the actress who plays Valerie has settled in and is doing an excellent job, i could do without the manufactured steroline drama and the rest of the heretics or boring as hell. i am intrigued by Lily, the flash forwards, the x scars and what Julian’s part is going to be. I also found Jolaric to be kind of tragic and heartbreaking when I never felt anything about them in the past so great job to Matt Davis and Jodi Lyn O’keefe. Enzo and Bonnie are an interesting twist with surprising chemistry. it’s nice to see that they’re going to continue to flesh out Bonnie’s character after several years of stagnation.

6. tigersmurfette says:

they seemed to be more interested in their little twists than they are in telling a coherent story.

7. Lilah says:

I don’t know how I feel about Bonnie and Enzo but they had scenes together back in season 5 and the chemistry was obvious. So it’s a shame the show-runners didn’t notice it until a season later. They could’ve been slowly building up to their relationship/Enzo’s redemption all this time. It would’ve been much better than what they actually did with Enzo last season.

8. H says:

I knew they would go with Bonnie and Enzo. Seriously, some fans were insulting Delena fans and calling them delusional. HAHAHA!!!

9. Tyanna says:

I knew Steroline weren’t gonna last. They aren’t endgame material. Never were

10. Alexa says:

Bonnie and Enzo isn’t interesting to me at all. I can’t stand Enzo and I love Bonnie and this just falls flat for me. I don’t understand why Enzo is even still here.

11. Lissa says:

I can’t believe they destroyed Bonnie/Kai for Bonnie and Enzo. Such a waste.

• Jordan Strummer says:

They ‘destroyed’ Bonnie/Kai because he got another show and wanted to go out a villain rather than overstay his welcome

12. bonkai_is_epic says:

Okay so bonenzo (benzo)? Bonnie and Enzo are very lackluster. Bonkai should have happened. Bonnie and Kai had all the chemistry and potential storyline in the world. People were legit excited about it.

13. Reese says:

Ok, so I’m a little skeptical about how they play benzo out… well because I’m all for BAMON, anyway, I don’t know why people are saying Kai should be with Bonnie when he’s clearly DEAD… soo yea. Also if we don’t know how bonnie and enzo got there then we can’t automatically say that the ship is all wrong.. just my opinion. Again still skeptical

14. autumnd23 says:

If they didn’t want the Bonnie/Enzo thing to be a twist, they shouldn’t have given the most obvious clues on the planet. Boring. At least it’s better than Jeremy.

• MT says:

Not only that but spoilers came out about BE at the start of the season not to mention extras on the set said there were scenes of them kissing. So a lot of people already knew so it really wasn’t a big reveal.

15. Sarah says:

Oh, how much I hate that Enzo/Bonnie thing. It was the only logical solution in my mind, but untill the last second before they showed Enzo in Bonnie’s room I was hoping it wouldn’t be him. They have NO chemestry at all and it is so out of character for Bonnie to be with someone like Enzo. They are really not treating her character well. I’m officially out.

• Evelyn Contreras says:

You and I feel the same way. I am officially done with TVD/Dries. They have zero chemistry. Bamon is the only thing I will accept.

• Angela says:

It’s crazy how they treat Kats character. I thought Bonkai was amazing and I understand why it couldn’t be as the actor had other opportunities outside of the show. BAMON has always been spitfire, crazy appeal because the dynamic meshes so well, even better then Delena, IMO. I don’t think Benzo is terrible they seemed ok, but while it seemed like it can be intriguing as it develops, it also felt forced. Why don’t these writers and creators want Bonnie with Damon? I can’t put my finger on it quite yet, but they are making her this amazing character with absolutely no love life and a sub-par role as the person who only steps in to fix something. They don’t even fully allow her to be a support role because they give her storyline, no Big Bang! It’s terrible because her character has such potential for greatness but it’s as if the writers don’t want her to shine. It’s freaking annoying.

16. disappointed says:

I am so disappointed how things got with Bonnie and Enzo. It’s obvious that they forced a way out of the Bonnie and Damon romantic relationship. And viola! found Enzo the way out! Such a waste. I won’t be watching this anymore.

17. disappointed says:

where’s my comment?

18. Luli says:

I don’t know why, but I love Valerie. She is becoming one of my fav characters. Also her humor! hilarious.

19. N says:

Steroline is just a mess. Stefan and Caroline, when they were buds, were great. Bonnie and Enzo? Hopefully a temporary thing because I like both characters but their pairing (like Stefan and Caroline’s) is contrived, forced. Damon, however, still cracks me up with his “who gives a sh–” way of handling stuff so the writers got at least one out of three right for now.

• Tammy4423 says:

My thing with the writers is that I thought they were going to make the show darker and Damon darker. Although I like the show now for the most part, I don’t see darker. Damon is the same wise cracking a’hole he was last season. lol He doesn’t seem to be in a dark place at all nor does the show have the same vibe as they were going for at the end of the season finale last year when Damon was standing above the tower. As far as Enzo and Bonnie, it may seem that way because we don’t have a build up to it. Hopefully, if they finally invest enough time into Bonnie’s character, we might get a good story on how this started. Especially, since they can only do so much with Caroline, considering Candace is pregnant. They might just be forced to write more for Bonnie and finally realize what a gem they have in her. Her scenes in the mental ward or where ever she is supposed to be showed a range for KG that even I didn’t realize she had. A range I haven’t seen from any of the other girls on show. Although I’m sure Candace would be good too in a scene like that. I’m just saying that one scene last week was better then anything I have seen the entire season. Back to Enzo, if they give us him, I hope it’s a pull/push type relationship. Where neither of them will admit the attraction but can’t stay away from each other. I love those types of storylines. I’m just excited period because this is way more then I expected Bonnie to get. I thought they were going to give her some meaningless relationship with someone we don’t care or about or Alaric, who would have been fine, if he wasn’t pining over someone else. I didn’t want Bonnie competing with another dead person. So, I’m all for Enzo if they write the story well.

• Angela says:

I hope they write the story well to the point where we can say that #benzo has better chemistry than Bonkai or Bamon, but if not then maybe it’ll be some amazing love triangle that forces Damon into the coffin to wait for Elena. Also that idea about a push/pull relationship would be amazing to watch if it unfolds in enough episodes to make us love them, not just be thrown together according to MM they have filmed some amazing scenes together and the chemistry is undeniable…. So he says. And yes her character range is wider than most of the other characters, I just hope they capitalize on it and give her more storyline and airtime.

20. giana says:

I cannot stand the heretics – hope their story plays out soon. Damon and Bonnie have had amazing chemistry for years, but one scene w/Enzo and suddenly THATS where they’re headed?? And god forbid Elena is gone and the characters still cannot go 5 mins w/out mentioning her. Damon mooning over a character that left the show is just pathetic. LET HIM MOVE ON – THERE IS STILL LIFE LEFT IN THE SHOW IF YOU DROP THE ELENA HABIT.

• Evelyn Contreras says:

So true! They have this new vampire hunter I believe and she looks like Nina. Dries won’t do it. Damon and Bonnie have such chemistry and a dynamic that’s palpable and the actors wanted them together but, Nope! Benzo? Yuck. I am really now done.

• Tammy4423 says:

This is their way of keeping the Delena fans happy. Honestly, they need to find a way of fading away from Elena because the show feels as if they can’t exist without her. As if they are not confident that they can move on from her. Honestly, they can because I pay very little attention to all the diary entries to her. It was fine the first couple of episodes but now it’s a little trying. We don’t need to see them constantly writing to her to know they miss her. Let the characters live their lives and move on until you bring her back. JMO.

21. DarkDefender says:

I really didn’t think they could do it, but post Elena has been very interesting. The flashback/present/flash forward storytelling has kept things fresh. This week’s episode really won me back. It was well done.

22. Tammy4423 says:

You are going to get good chemistry with anyone KG is paired with. It’s just a given. I always thought Bonnie would be good with Enzo. For the likes of me, I never understood why they kept having him flirt with Caroline. They spent so much time testing every available man on Caroline, that they miss the boat on a lot of good pairings with Bonnie. So, I’m a little happy that they are giving her a good pairing. We all know they will never put her with Damon. No matter how much we wanted them too. I think Enzo can make up for them messing her over with Kai. I will watch. I just hope we don’t have to sit through him in agony over Lily for half the season. If you are going to give us Enzo and Bonnie, get on the ball now. No one wants to see Bonnie alone for half the season. Been there done that and a lot of us are tired of it.

• Angela says:

Tammy you stole the entire word catalog outta my mouth. I never understood why Caroline got Everyman except Alaric on the show to test the waters with and Bonnie got Jeremy. Which I liked initially but realized I only liked it because it’s all they have her. And yes…. Please don’t make us wait forever to start seeing the building of this relationship. Every episode should tell a little more each time.

23. Evelyn Contreras says:

Of course no Bamon. They will put anyone with Bonnie except Damon. Enzo, really? Because that makes perfect sense (face palm) And now that new vampire hunter which looks like Elena (no surprise) comes into the picture. I am sure this will be Damon’s new hookup or the new triangle including his brother. Ian had insinuated that TVD fans are a certain way and that the only way for Damon to be allowed to hookup would be with someone bada**/kicka**. (guess fans don’t think Bonnie is) I am so done with this show and Dries crap.

24. Debbie-Jo says:

I like the heretics – I think they are fun and exciting and a million times better than the travellers. Im excited for the new Julian character. I don’t think Caroline and Stephan have any chemistry whatsoever and I’m glad Valerie is in the picture – they have sooo much chemistry it’s exciting. Not sure about Bonnie and Enzo – I would need to see Bonnie whoop Enzos ass and Enzo to then be attracted to her to be convinced. Stop complaining people. Bonnie and Damon are NEVER going to happen! It’s the stupidest idea ever. Shes Elenas best friend and that’s the love of Elenas life – reality check!

• lol please says:

Reality Check – Elena is in a COFFIN. We don’t want Damon waiting around for x number of seasons until the series ends. As far as best friends excuse, PLEASE there are no rules on this show the whole show revolved around a triangle with two BROTHERS and a girl so your point is invalid. DE was founded on a broken bro code. You need to watch another show if you want friend ‘code’. DErs’ = hypocrites

• Tammy4423 says:

Not to mention, Caroline has dated two important men in Elena’s life. Matt, her first real boyfriend and Stefan, her first love.

• GetReal says:

LMAO, there are no “codes” on this show. As lol said go find one that does, please!

25. someone_who really lovedtvd says:

So…here’s the thing, I really wanted a bamon pairing in the past seasons but now after seeing them together as bffs…I mean why ruin that since we all know that for Damon, Bonnie would never fit into Elena’s shoes and Plec’s going to remind us of that every single episode. So why not put Bonnie with someone who hasn’t had as much relationship drama and is still as attractive…honestly, I’m excited about the #BENZO pairing

26. Bhava Yami says:

will watch bonnie/bamon scenes on yt.im done with dries and plec!!

27. CEPHAS says:

Am in NIGERIA right now watching this epic tv show,i realy would not wanna have regrets watching d show,BAMON is d only romantic life that can replace DELENA,Bonnie needs someone(damon) who knows her worth,and not the opposite(ENZO)….BAMON will surely be lengedary if given a chance,but what if Bonnie later became as regularly as elena,thereby having all d characters that made fans tired of Elena,what will be d judge of the fans then……..?

28. kpaakpa says:

Still hoping for Bamon too and definitely dint see that Carolline inner straight ish coming..I so love it

29. kpaakpa says:

Am disgusted with the idea of Benzo

30. Disappointed says:

Iam all for Bamon.If they wrote about Bonnie and Damon.TVD would not have to end at all.we would still watch like no mans business.Benzo doesbt add up.

31. Sherri S. says:

I was really getting bored with the show, and was literally on the border of making a tough decision to stop watching….until low and behold, Bonnie Bennett has finally been paired up with a REAL MAN! Michael/Enzo is very hot, and is a very talented actor who deserves a proper love interest as well, however, I have considered Kat/Bonnie to be a main character of the show and she has not had proper love scenes up until now . I really hope and pray the writers will do her proud during her final season on the show to ensure she has hot and steamy love scenes like her fellow costars have. I also hope those love scenes are with Enzo, because they are literally the best couple that has ever been on the show…EVER! They have amazing chemistry! I have watched “Somebody that I used to know ” over 10 times. It was SO well written. That episode alone has made me love it more than the entire Twilight series. Keep up the good work….please!