Arrow Who Dies

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Arrow, Bloodline, Grimm, Supergirl, Scandal, TVD, Supernatural and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: When will we learn who is in the grave from the Arrow season premiere? —Kyle
Ausiello: Though the producers are being purposefully vague about the timing of that reveal, here’s something to at least whet your whistle. Co-showrunner Wendy Mericle told Matt Mitovich, “There might be” additional flash-forwards “here and there… right around midseason,” that certainly will add to the “Who dies?” mystery. “We’re definitely toying with that,” the EP added, “and when and if we do decide to do that, it will reveal even more pertinent information about not who’s going to be in the grave but certainly where our characters are when that [death] happens.”

Question: Is the May/Daisy relationship going to get some attention now that May has returned to S.H.I.E.L.D.? There was so much great progress in Season 2, but it felt a little undercut in the season finale. —Olivia
Ausiello: EP Jeffrey Bell acknowledges that May hasn’t been able to hang with Daisy/Quake née Skye this season, “and we haven’t forgotten that.” But a roster of “75,000 series regulars,” as he puts it, coupled with the desire to mix things up, have precluded any team-up. “One of the things we enjoyed doing at the beginning of this season is pairing people up differently — Hunter and May, Mack and Daisy, Fitz and Bobbi…. And I think some of those have to play out,” Bell notes. “We have a lot of very strong, badass women on the show, but yes, seeing May and Daisy fight together would be supercool.”

Question: Out with it, Michael! Give us that Gilmore Girls scoop, please? —Jennifer
Ausiello: I got tired of waiting for you Ausholes to ask me about it so I turned it into a big fancy standalone story.

AnikaQuestion: What craziness is coming next to Empire? —Ruth
Ausiello: I can’t guarantee it, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we’re headed for the club — the strip club, to be specific. “Lucious convinces Mimi to mix business with pleasure, as the two grow closer,” showrunner Ilene Chaiken teases. Bonus Scoop: The Nov. 18 installment will find Anika getting “some life-altering news,” then “going incognito to gather intel on a competitor.” Boo-Boo Kitty: Undercover? I’d watch the hell out of that spinoff!

Question: Longtime reader of your work and finally asking my first question! Considering the musical chops of several of the cast of Supergirl (Melissa Benoist, Jeremy Jordan and Laura Benanti!), can we expect someday be treated to a musical episode of Supergirl? —Rae
Ausiello: Really? You’re going to make that your first Ask Ausiello question? A Supergirl musical episode? Love you like the sister I never had, Rae, but you need to seriously up your AA game if you want to be taken seriously here. I’ll cut you a little slack since it is your first time though. In fact, I’ll even lob a S’girl scoop your way: Episode 11 will mark the introduction of a new recurring character named Matthew, a hunky, well-built heartthrob with abandonment issues and — drumroll, please — a potential love interest for Kara.

Anything on How to Get Away With Murder? —Mark
Ausiello:
What we’re gonna do here, Mark, is go back… wayyy back to the Season 1 finale. Remember how we found out that Frank, under instructions from Sam, choked the life out of Lila Stangard — but we never learned the reasons why? Showrunner Pete Nowalk says it’s always been his plan to answer that question in Season 2. “Not having written the episodes yet, I can’t promise it, but that’s obviously a huge deal that Frank is carrying this secret,” Nowalk says. “And everything that’s happened in that house since we met these people is because of Frank’s lie. We would be really bad writers if we didn’t touch upon that ever again.”

Question: Will we find out what happened to Grimm‘s Diana? —Ronda
Ausiello: The hunt for Diana “does continue,” Claire Coffee says with a laugh, though she confesses, “It’s not as active as it was.” The birth of Adalind and Nick’s son, Kelly, naturally brings up the fact that Ad “would really like to find out what’s happening to that first child,” Coffee adds. But “there is so much other drama unfolding that even the hunt for Diana is on the back burner.”

Question: Do you have something about SVU or Benson? —Felicia
Ausiello: Nothing on SVU, but here’s a Benson tidbit: I’m hearing he will be positively exasperated by what that pompous Clayton Endicott III does in next week’s episode of the ABC comedy.

Question: Whatever happened to Abby’s brother on NCIS? He was in a couple of episodes and then disappeared! –Susan
Ausiello: “There’s more Abby backstory coming after the holidays,” show boss Gary Glasberg said when we hand-delivered your question, “but I’m still in process of figuring that out.”

Question: Loving the new “ambiguous characters” on The Originals, Tristan and Lucien. Any scoop on them, or anything TO related? —Addie
Ausiello: He’s not one of the characters you mentioned, Addie, but I’d say Jason Dohring’s Will Kinney remains at least somewhat “ambiguous,” and it sounds like his storyline’s about to get a lot more interesting — especially once he starts “making connections” and getting deeper into the Big Easy’s supernatural community. “He just winds up in a real bad place, like, real bad,” the actor says, referring to one particularly nasty scene with a certain bloodsucker. “We were exhausted after shooting. Compulsions and violence, [it was] gruesome.”

Ask AusielloQuestion: Please tell me there is hope still for Abby and David on Scandal! —Jenn
Ausiello: Joshua Malina (aka David) has a gut feeling that “there’s more to David and Abby’s story ahead of us,” he tells me. “My suspicion is I feel like there’s still more to their story. They don’t have full closure. And I think he’s probably carrying a torch for her on some level.” Malina, however, quickly cautions, “I don’t really know, though. It’s pure conjecture.”

Question: Joel David Moore left Bones to play almost an identical character on Forever. With Forever now cancelled, is he headed back to Bones? –Dean
Ausiello: Slight problem: “I think he’s also doing Avatar 2 through 10 right now,” executive producer Michael Peterson says of Moore’s big-screen commitments. That said, schedule one day permitting, “I would love to get him back.”

Question: I am dying to find out more about Sam’s visions this season on Supernatural. What can you tell us about that? —Elena M.
Ausiello: Sam will be “exploring” his visions and “trying to figure out who’s talking to him and what they mean,” star Jensen Ackles previews. “So he takes it upon himself to go there without Dean, and it leaves me in the dust. Then, of course, Dean has to follow, [which leads to] some interesting alliances.”

Question: Anything you can share on Bloodline Season 2? —Christopher
Ausiello: How ’bout a spoiler wrapped in a casting scoop? Scrubs vet Ken Jenkins is joining the cast in the recurring role of Roy Gilbert, an old acquaintance of the Rayburn family and a prominent businessman with strong political ties in the Keys. Now here comes the spoiler: Kyle Chandler’s John seeks Roy’s support as he… runs for Sheriff of Monroe County. Hope voters don’t find out that pesky murder he committed!

Question: A Bates Motel Season 5 scoop, perhaps? —Amelia
Ausiello: At the risk of antagonizing “Nomero” fans, I think Norma may be getting a new love interest. The show is casting the recurring role of Gregg Edwards, a fortysomething doctor at Pineview Mental Institution who is “compassionate, grounded and empathetic, and walks a fine line between professional curiosity and personal investment in his patients’ lives.” Read between the lines, people!

Question: Any Vampire Diaries scoop? —Candice
Ausiello: In tonight’s episode, “Stefan learns a bombshell from his past as we start to understand even further the depths of Valerie’s resentment, and it will cause a problem in the Stefan/Caroline relationship,” executive producer Caroline Dries previews. Bonus Scoop: “A fun bickerfest between Bonnie and Enzo will end in a major surprise for the audience,” the EP teases.

This AAnd That…
♦ Heads-up to acting coaches and teachers everywhere: DVR this coming Sunday’s Leftovers. There’s an extended scene between Carrie Coon and Regina King that you will definitely want to show your students.
♦ Blind Item update. One of you correctly guessed the identity of the co-lead getting (possibly-permanently) killed off. Congrats to TVLine reader [REDACTED]!

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Kim Roots, Michael Slezak and Vlada Gelman)

1. Forget “who’s in the grave?” The question should be “why can’t they use the Lazarus Pit to revive this dead person as they did with the other two they brought back to life?” At this point death in the Arrow/Flashverse should be a revolving door (cue Kid Eternity).

2. BrightLight says:

That Benson answer made me laugh so hard and made me realize how much I love/miss that show. Kudos, Aus!

3. Kari Hardy says:

Your ‘Benson’ response is very confusing as it’s not referencing Benson on SVU – Who are you talking about??

4. “At the risk of antagonizing “Nomero” fans” If Bates Motel builds to anything like what Psycho IV did, with Norman poisoning Norma and her lover, Romero fans might prefer them not being a couple…

• Marco says:

That scene is also mentioned in the original Psycho…

• Angela says:

Hmmmm. Good point. Much as I love Norma and Romero together, I have worried about how Norman might react to their relationship, so…
      Still, though, aw at that news all the same. But considering where this person works, and considering Norma’s desperate attempts to try and get Norman some help last season, I’m guessing this means that storyline will come up again and this new guy will be involved with that somehow? And that might help make Norma like him even more?

• JM says:

Okay, so I was just going to post a ‘Boooooo!’ post about the new love interest for Norma, since Romero is so damned HOT, until I read your post, Michael. Still, can we at least have a fantasy episode to satisfy us fans???!!

5. Z says:

Hope Bonnie and Enzo dont wind up hooking up… would not like that pairing

6. Smoak Arrow says:

Arrow is not allowed to kill Felicity Smoak or John Diggle. I’d be upset if they chose to kill Quentin Lance or Thea Queen at this point too. Clearly Oliver is in no danger, so not even bothering to include him on the No Kill list.

• Z says:

Quentin seems the most expendable at this point

• Curly Girly says:

Or Thea. Oliver was VERY visibly upset at the grave. Don’t know if he would feel that bad about Quentin.

• Azerty says:

In my opinion he was not upset enough to be Thea. Remember when Tommy and Moira died, he was a wreck and fled the city. But the producers said they didn’t know who is on the grave when they shot the scene so we should’nt make theories based on Oliver’s reaction. but I really hope that is a lie because starting such impactful storyline without fully knowing how it will end up is very risky and leads to plotholes and out of character behaviour. Still think it’s Lance though: he was upset but not a wreck and it seems in last week episode he had some daddy issues (when he said he wanted Lance to see him as the man he really is) so I would say the reaction matches the loss.

• amb1973 says:

It’s totally Quentin, and totally agree, he was not “VERY” visibly upset. He shed like one tear. When Tommy died and Thea nearly died he was bawling.

Also agree re the daddy issues, which somehow have been making everyone forget that Quentin led a manhunt for Oliver SIX MONTHS AGO, and lorded Roy’s death over both Oliver and Thea. The show is so totally bizarre sometimes.

• Azerty says:

Your comment made me wonder if Lance knows that Roy is not dead? I don’t think so! And yep, Lance went from the guy obsessed with respecting the law to the guy working with the big bad in only 6 months. It is not really consistent.

• Gaia says:

I think he would, and it would be fueled by the fact that he would feel responsible since he asked Quentin to be the “man on the inside” with Darhk.

• lilys says:

I don’t think it’s Quentin, they wouldn’t need to prepare us that way so well in advance : the death would be better brought up as a surprise. Well that’s only my take on it.

And I believe Laurel to be the most expendable one.

7. CS says:

Congrats to TVLine reader [REDACTED]!

Ah,so close from finding out.

8. aph1976 says:

On NCIS, i’m wondering if Abby tries to find out more about her biological parents and maybe they are not all good things she finds out.

9. Anna says:

It just better not be Felicity or Diggle in the grave. I think is Captain Lance. And yes Nyssa destroyed the pit because they resurrected Sara. She was totally again it. She said she would not wish that on her enemies much less her beloved Sara.

10. Win says:

Oh, wow – on Empire, is Anika pregnant and checking on Laura?

11. Lillian says:

I had to look for the “Benson answer” referenced by BrightLight. Loved it! Well played.

12. Azerty says:

The tricky thing is that we are not sure the blind item concerns Arrow so I assume that it’s not because some characters (Diggle or Lance) are not on the list that they are safe. Anyway my guess is Hook from Once and they are all going to hell to bring him back. However I hope it is NOT Daryl (TWD), Annalise (HTGAWM) or Felicity, that would make a real difference for me. And I am still on Lance for Arrow.

Anyway I am also glad that on How to get away with murder they will go back to the Lila Delgard mystery., I can’t wait for the gang to discover that Frank killed her.

13. sg says:

I’m happy to find I wasn’t the only one who after seeing the cast thought Supergirl needed to do a musical episode. Though I would actually love to see them go one step further and have it be during a cross over episode with The Flash.

14. Kenny says:

Calling it right now: Anika is going to be pregnant with Hakeem’s baby.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Yaaaasssss! That’s what I’m thinking too when I saw that question…..it’s pretty obvious @ this point. Anyways I’m still waiting for an answer about Frank/Sam on HTGAWM but I guess it’s going to happen!!!!!!!!!!

15. Colleen says:

Thank you for the Benson joke. I burst out laughing at my desk. My co-workers didn’t get it.

16. Liz says:

well now I really want there to be a Supergirl musical episode – and I don’t even watch the show!

17. The blind item has to be Stefan on TVD. He has that mark on him from the Phoenix stone in the flash-forwards, which means he’ll have to be resurrected with it sometime before the flash-forwards happen 3/4 of the way through the season.

18. flutiefan says:

ok the Benson reference positively killed me!!!

19. Spence says:

I’m getting more and more worried about HTGAWM… Does this Nowalk guy know anything that he’s writing about?? Do they have anything concrete planned at all, or are they going to wing everything for the rest of the season?

• Matt C. says:

I trust him. He said the same stuff about season 1, not knowing who killed Sam or who killed Lila until the story played out, and I think those reveals turned out amazing. I’m looking forward to what he comes up with for this season’s big reveal(s).

• Angela says:

Same here :). I’d wondered what exactly Frank’s motive was for killing Lila (aside from his typical shadiness possibly explaining it all), so I’m very glad to hear we’ll touch on that in more detail.

• Vampie says:

I agree I always wonder why Frank killed Lila, what was his motive as we never knew why. We only knew under Sam orders Frank killed Lila. Glad they are going to address that

20. pem says:

Looking forward to the Arrow death NOT being Felicity or Diggle.

21. rcb918 says:

Of course, Bates Motel is only going into Season 4…

22. Reba42 says:

Based off of the comments for the Blind Item thread, reading comments where only 1 person theorized 1 person, and no repeats, Coulson, Morgan, Gibbs, Sam or Dean, Reid and Harvey Bullock.
    Discuss.

• Kurt says:

Still think it’s Coulson.
      Daisy for director, but (if indeed is him) he’ll definitely come back ’cause marvel

• Angela says:

I’m still doubting it’ll be Morgan or Reid, since that cast is more of an ensemble and since I think the episode Gubler directs could deal more with that sort of a threat since he’ll be directing an episode where someone leaves, and since he’s not directing any of the episodes leading up to or including the fall finale thus far, well…
      I do know that people have theorized that the “grandma’s pearls” line is either referring to an older character or a show on CBS, though, since that’s always seen as the “network for old people”, so…maybe Gibbs? I seriously doubt that “death” would stick, of course, but he is more of a prominent lead on that show, so… I dunno. Could be off with that, but it’s a theory.
      If this does indeed refer to someone that was only guessed once, however, I will at least breathe a massive sigh of relief at the fact that that would mean it would NOT be Ichabod or Abbie dying, since many people guessed them :p.

• Tammy Madden says:

I suggested Morgan on that thread too; so he was mentioned at least twice by two different people; maybe three times of I remember right.

• murley says:

I thought I saw Lucious, Elijah and Fitz only once as well.

• Reba42 says:

I saw Fitz and Lucious twice, because they were listed in comments. I didn’t see Elijah, but I only listed original postings, not those further theorized by the comments.

• Lola says:

I saw Leo Fitz (from SHIELD) once but Fitz from Scandal multiple times. I think he may have been talking about the publicized theories, so out of those the ones who, in the comments, had been theorized once (or very, very few times at least) as far as I can tell are The Blacklist’s Liz, SHIELD’s Ward, Chicago Fire’s Severide, Lady Gaga in AHS, Gotham’s Bullock, and Criminal Mind’s Derek (list could be incomplete or inaccurate, feel free to tell me if so!)

• Bwhit says:

He linked the article where they compiled a bunch of fan theories in the photo gallery. Perhaps the answer is in there. I guessed Elijah but didn’t see if he was mentioned in the original article comments because there were over 600 lol. Maybe this clue will knock out the most commented answers like Laurel, someone from Castle and people from Once Upon a Time. This will just be a special kind of torture until all the fall finales are over.

• Laney says:

But since the “one person guessed it” referred back to 30 possibles article was the one person someone who was quoted in the 30 possibles gallery or from comment section?

23. Yoki says:

Anika will be pregnant.

24. Don’t touch Felicity Smoak, stay away from John Diggle & leave Thea Queen alone… PLEASE.

25. Gabriella says:

For Law and Order SVU it should be she not he for Benson.

• Angela says:

They weren’t referring to that particular Benson with that comment. It was a joke about a character on a show named “Benson”.

• Kate says:

Benson was a popular half hour comedy on ABC in the 1980’s that starred Robert Guillaume as a butler named Benson who began working for a widowed governor played by James Noble. If I remember correctly, there was a German maid, a few aides, and a young girl named Katie (played by Tracey Gold’s sister, Missy.)

• Luis says:

Benson was originally a character on the 1970s ABC Comedy “Soap.” Guilliaume was so popular in the role that ABC spun him off into his own series that ran for seven seasons. I loved Guillaume in the role and loved the show so much. I miss Robert Guilliaume so much

26. Mia says:

As long as they don’t touch Felicity smoak or John diggle i’m good! I hope it’s laurel though as she doesn’t bring anything new to the show nor does she have any particular set of skills, but i don’t think the producers are brave enough to do it!

27. Compeer says:

Couple of things;
    1) kara’s getting another potential love interest in supergirl? In addition to the two besties she has now? Not sure how i feel anout that.
    2) i haven’t watched bones in several years, until the sleepy hollow crossover episode, but fisher was always one if my least favorite squinterns. I didn’t even know he was gone!

28. Adelin says:

Bonnie and Enzo, okay.. that’ll work for her stress relief. Get in, Bonnie! The fun bicker sounds like her and Damons usual lead, but it’ll be a blast to see Damon reaction.

29. Stacy says:

Ugh, no more flash forwards. One is enough to give us high anxiety! The stupid flash forwards are ruining the vampire diaries for me.

30. Robby says:

When was SVU a ABC comdey?

31. Heather says:

Please be Felicity in the grave on Arrow so I can enjoy the show again.

• Josh says:

Felicity makes the show enjoyable for me. Her Oliver Thea and Diggle. Of course I don’t bash her for stupid crap that other characters do as well. Felicity dies the show is too depressing.

• datdudemurphy says:

Agreed. So much agreed.
      Her character is so grating.

• Chris Ingram says:

Actually I’m hoping it’s Laurel in the grave. When are they going to let that one go? If they aren’t going to kill her off at least recast an actress who can act like she isn’t made of cardboard!

• Mia says:

I know! Laurel lance is honestly the worst thing on arrow and the writers keep on ruining her character even more! Besides, i don’t know how they cast katie cassidy for the role in the first place; she has zero chemistry with stephen amell.

32. As long as Arrow doesn’t touch Felicity Smoak and John Diggle, I’m good. They are at the very top of my Do Not Kill List. I’m a little worried for Quentin and I would really appreciate it if he doesn’t get killed either (I love Paul Blackthorne and this show needs a “more adult” presence). I enjoy him working with the team and his teamup with Diggle last night was pretty cool. Don’t kill Thea either. She’s grown on me ;)

33. The most important thing about the grave is that Felicity or Diggle not be in it. There are other characters I’d miss, like Quentin or Thea or Nyssa, but I just need it to not be an OTA member.

34. Blurgh says:

Wow. My comment didn’t post before. I’m going to try again before I accuse TVLine of censoring free speech.
    Rae wrote in asking about ‘Supergirl,’ and received such a rude answer. I wish both the writers and the commenters could be a little more civil.

• CMG says:

Don’t take things so seriously. That’s just Michael’s sense of humor. Stick around long enough and you’ll pick up on it.

He obviously liked the question enough to use it in the article… but the way he “answered” it is just his way of saying that the answer is self-evident. (In this case, “not remotely likely” is probably the real answer to the question.)

35. prish says:

Oh, wow! That’s right, Nick’s mother was taking care of the daughter to keep her from being used and trained by evil forces. I can’t believe I forgot about her, and that is a HUGE question, is the kid safe?

36. Safistikaytdlayd says:

Love the reference to “Benson”!!! Robert Guillaume was great in that role!!! Regarding who is in the grave, I think its Lance. When Oliver asked him to stay undercover to see what Damien in up to, I think that pretty much sealed his fate. I could be wrong but…

37. A Supergirl musical episode would be right on par with Batman & Robin. Good grief. Did Man of Steel really traumatize people that much that that’s where they want superhero adaptations to regress to? If they did such an episode, the supporters are very likely to applaud it.

38. So… was the one correct person the only one to get it right, then? That might narrow it down…

39. Luis says:

I missed the “Benson” shout-out the first time I read the piece. Thanks, Michael. I loved that show!

40. Evan says:

Hoping it’s Laurel in the grave. Take away the Black Canary persona and she is literally pointless and brings nothing to the table. As BC she’s is terribly embarrassing. But as long as it’s not Diggle or Felicity (Oliver is a given) I’m good.

41. Dana says:

Fun Fact: Kyle Chandler and Ken Jenkins co-starred together on the ABC family drama “Homefront” in the early 1990s…Wow, so Bloodline S1 had Landry Clarke’s dad from Friday Night Lights and now this! Keeping it in the TV family…