Scream Queens Killer

Scream Queens Check-In: Give Us Answers or Give Us Deaths

It’s time to take stock, Scream Queens faithful: We’re seven weeks into Ryan Murphy’s slasher comedy, yet we’re no closer to unmasking the killer(s) than we were when poor Deaf Taylor Swift got her head mowed off in the pilot.

Sure, we know that Gigi is calling the shots in this operation, thanks largely to last night’s phone call in which she literally said, “We are murderers, hell-bent on revenge. I told you this. That is our brand.” But beyond that, do we really know… anything?

Season 1, Episode 5 ("Pumpkin Patch")Outside of Pete and Grace’s consistently earnest-yet-fruitless commitment to cracking this case, most episodes merely consist of in-fighting amongst the Chanels, a game of Who — or What — Is Getting It From Chad and, if we’re lucky, the death of a relatively unimportant side character. (To be fair, though, those Chanel fights are golden and I’m totally ‘shipping Chad with that goat.)

Another thing: While I’ve enjoyed the bloodshed thus far, where are all the meaningful murders? I initially assumed that one of the reasons for having such an enormous cast was to make it easier to pick each character off one by one, but with the grand total of dead series regulars remaining at zero, I’m starting to question my theory. The most pivotal character killed thus far, outside of special ghost star Ariana Grande, has been Sam, more commonly known as “Predatory Lez,” who sort of almost shared a romantic something with Chanel No. 3 — but then didn’t.

So here’s my humble plea, Scream Queens: Give us clues, or give us kills. Both would be preferable, but at this point — with only five episodes left in the season — I’d settle for just one.

What’s your take on the state of Scream Queens? Are you loving it without question, or are there a few tweaks you’d make to optimize your enjoyment? Whatever you’re thinking, drop it in a comment below.

1. jmble says:

Don’t we know that Boone is somehow involved too? We haven’t actually seen him in action with the killing, but we do know that he faked his own death by the Red Devil.

• Andy Swift says:

We do, but that just adds another bullet point of frustration to my list: Why drop that in the premiere, then go weeks without ever showing him?

• Christine says:

Because Nick Jonas is super busy and only a guest star but he’ll be back next week with that epically horrible beard so yay!
        We also know that the baby was a girl so that’s at least one more clue. I agree that we should be getting more clues but I’m excited to see how fast it starts moving now that we’re approaching the end :)

• RyanC says:

I have to disagree with the notion that we don’t have really much of anything to go on. From the pieces we’ve gradually been given I feel like I’ve been able to put the plot together quite well. We know about gigi being the mastermind, and Boone is one of the Red Devils. Gigi was annoyed at the Red Devil that kidnapped and romanced Zayday, saying he had to die, which strongly indicates Earl Grey was the one that took her. We know the baby was a girl (Nothing concrete to go on, but I’m looking at you, Chanel No. 5!). Given Gigi has wormed her way into Grace’s dad’s life, I’m also assuming they’re both central to her revenge plot, which makes me suspect Grace’s mother was the head of KKT when the baby was born.
        I do agree though it’s semi-frustrating that nobody major has died so far, but I’m enjoying the cast too much to lose any of them!

• analog says:

SPOILER

I saw a photo with Nick Jonas’s character having the fork stab wound. So it seems he was the one who kidnapped Zayday.

• GraeLeigh says:

The thing is: was the baby really a girl? Juste because that (insane) girl said so doesn’t mean it’s not a false direction

• Marco says:

Maybe because he’s not a regular on this but on Kingdom?

2. Guy says:

It’s a pretty terrible show and I’m unsure why I’m still even watching. Maybe it’s because I always like the concept of a horror TV show, especially a slasher whodunnit,. And also because Niecy Nash is a bit of a saving grace in this mess (the fact that she wasn’t in last night’s episode made it harder to watch). Otherwise, Scream Queens is failing hard. It’s not that funny, it’s not scary or creepy, and it’s definitely not smart. It’s just silly and dumb and over-the-top. The acting is mostly bad. The writing is sloppy. No one of importance has been killed yet, which like you pointed out should have been happening, what with such a large cast (that’s the whole point). Maybe I’d at least get a thrill out of watching some of these actors get killed in fun ways. But the show can’t even provide that.

3. Guy says:

Also, can they put Hester back in the neckbrace and turn her back into the interesting character she was in the first couple episodes instead of the typical slutty, backstabbing sorority girl character she has become since?

4. Spence says:

I thought this season had 15 episodes? But yes I agree with everything in this article. It’s enjoyable to watch but the second the episode is over, I’ve forgotten I’ve even watched it at all.

5. Diz says:

All I know is that it’s a horrible show that’s not scary or funny and should be canned.

6. Adam says:

I’m watching this show like a trainwreck I can’t tear my eyes from. I can’t quit it and I can’t give a good reason why, because there’s nothing really positive to say. It’s just frustratingly inconsistent and absurd which is no good for a mystery show where some logic is expected, it’s all *too* absurd and illogical to really be funny, and trying too hard to be funny to ever be scary or emotional since I don’t care about any of the characters. I’ll hate-watch it to the end but I’m hoping it gets canceled to free me from watching.

• Louie says:

“hate-watch”
      That’s the perfect way to sum up what the majority of this show’s watchers are doing. I don’t like it but I’m going to suffer through it til the end.

7. JR says:

It’s pretty obvious (from ratings and even this posting) that Scream Queens is not generating general market interest or even targeted fan-based passion. I’m sure it’s disappointing to Fox, but the show is an expensive disappointment. It probably should be cancelled. Wonder if they will given their infatuation with Ryan Murphy?

8. I honestly think Zanday is one of the Red Devils now that we know Gigi is calling the shots and Zanday wants to climb the ladder.

9. Annie says:

So you’re saying a Ryan Murphy show isn’t making sense and letting viewers down?! What? That’s such a totally unexpected thing from him!

10. Captspark says:

Have you guys seen it back to back high!? Its amazing and twisted! 👍🏽👌🏽👏🏽😜

11. Dude says:

I don’t mind that there hasn’t been a lot of kills or answers because that’s not what the show is. No one cares who the killer is, no one cares why. Neither is answer is going to be satisfying. This show is just about girls wearing amazing clothes, being ridiculous and bitching at each other.

• Marco says:

The problem is that it fails at even that. Not to mention it’s a plot we’ve seen way too many times before, and it makes the show nothing more than a collection of gif-able quotes.

12. Eric7740 says:

I only get 5 more episodes???!!! Where’s my 22 episode season???!!!
    I need more Chad and more Denise!!! Give them a spin off!!!

13. baddog says:

Completely disagree Andy – I absolutely LOVE this show, I laugh out loud every week (really missed it last week)/. I think the writing and biting commentary is brilliant – my god who else could get away with talking about spitroasting on primetime! An armless guy trying to climb a ladder? Hester’s necrophilish love? Goat boy? I like that its the secondarys going like Roger and Dodger gone and love that Chanel 2 & 5 are getting killer scenes….don’t change THING!

14. Tom says:

Is Lea Michelle’s character dead yet?

15. Guest says:

I think we have been given clues and now that there are just a few episodes left it should probably pick up the pace even more.
    re: what they could do to make it more enjoyable, I would like more hester, chad and denise hemphill and less chanel, grace and pete.

16. Jon says:

This has been a complete disappointment. Pretty much just hate watching the show now. Knowing Ryan Murphy and AHS, he won’t go on a killing spree until the last few episodes.

17. GraeLeigh says:

Totally agree on everything. I review the show every week for our website and it’s getting harder every week to watch it, this week was just awful.

Only good thing is Jamie Lee Curtis who could do so much more if given a decent scenario.

Totally disappointed. Only keep watching because I want to see who the killers are and why, see if any of my theory is right :p

18. robandco says:

At least Scream Queens has a clear plot. I don’t mind waiting for answers because at least I can identify the story clearly (unlike AHS this season, or last…).
    With so few episodes left, regular heads will start rolling soon. It’s going to be fun.

19. LilAngel says:

I love the show: Hester and Chanel (n°1) are the best characters. The killer identities are not my priority tbh because I guess each character is a murderer even if not one of the red devils (Chanel has killed mrs Bean, dean Munsch her ex and so on). If they want to kill main cast, they could get rid of Grace and Pete, those are really pointless

20. alisyakinaya says:

Actually, they did give us a clue in the last episode. The old woman who stayed in the asylum for 30 years said she paints EVERYBODY. Guess what? One of the Kappa students in 1995 got admitted to a mental asylum according to Pete.

• Shannon says:

Thank you! I knew that had to mean something.

• Teresa says:

And in the previews for the next episode I believe that Grace and Pete are holding a painting of Gigi made by the old woman. So maybe they’ll realize that Gigi has some connection with the murders.

21. Jpitao says:

Since that episode (can’t remember which exactly) where Chanel 1 screams and everyone comes running to her room to see the bloody writing “all sluts must die” made me think she is the killer. I mean kinda coincidental that she was all alone right before it happened (she coulda done it then screamed). And just before Boone fake dies, he asks her to join KKT and she thinks it’s a great idea to help her with “the gays” of news world tho her minions are against it. And the previous leader before her dies of acid spray, which she was meant to put on. Also, a dream is a dream. She coulda known of the plot to kill her from all the cameras she has installed throughout the KKT house (I mean she has one installed in Chanel 5’s room). Oh… And has anyone else noticed how Chanel no. 5 was in room with red devil twice but not killed? Like when one of the twins gets nail-gunned to death, why didn’t the gun get pointed to her next? Perhaps she was indeed the baby??

22. Blythe says:

God this show is f–king hilarious! I love the dark humor and over-the-top ridiculousness of the characters and story line. Such a shame, it’s not the huge hit it was anticipated to be. However, I think it’s destined to be a cult classic! I hope it gets a season 2!

23. queers says:

Man boobs (or boy boobs) are properly known as a condition called gynecomastia.
    Most men who are suffering from gynecomastia are in great confusion and dilemma that they often wonder what they will become when they walk
    around with those women-like breasts. Did fertility
    Doc use own sperm to inseminate women.