Supergirl Ratings

Ratings: CBS' Supergirl Soars as Fall TV's Most Watched Series Debut

CBS’ Supergirl took flight on Monday with 13 million viewers and a 3.1 rating (per finals) leading out of The Big Bang Theory — thus revealing its secret identity as the fall’s No. 1 series debut in total audience while tying the launch of NBC’s Blindspot in the coveted 18-49 demo.

TVLine readers gave the well-reviewed superhero series an average grade of “B+.”

For reference, this fall’s other series debuts included:
Blindspot, NBC: 10.6 mil/3.1 (leading out of The Voice)
Life in Pieces, CBS: 11.3 mil/2.6 (leading out of Big Bang)
Rosewood, Fox: 7.5 mil/2.4 (leading into Empire premiere)
Heroes Reborn, NBC: 6.6 mil/2.1
Quantico, ABC: 7.9 mil/1.9
Limitless, CBS: 9.9 mil/1.9 (leading out of the NCISes)
Code Black, CBS: 8.6 mil/1.5
Blood & Oil, ABC: 6.4 mil/1.4
The Player, NBC: 4.9 mil/1.2
Minority Report, Fox: 3.1 mil/1.1

Opening the Eye’s night, Big Bang (16.3 mil/4.4) was up five tenths, while the supersized post-Supergirl Scorpion (9.6 mil/1.9) ticked up.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

ABC | Dancing With the Stars (11.9 mil/1.8) dipped a tenth. For those who will “wonder,” the Castle repeat did 4.5 mil/0.8.

NBC | The Voice (11.9 mil/3.1) ticked up, Blindspot (7.9 mil/2.1) was flat.

FOX | Gotham (4.3 mil/1.5) rose two tenths, Minority Report (1.9 mil/0.6) was flat.

THE CW | Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (670K/0.2) and Jane the Virgin (940K/0.3) each dipped a precious tenth.

1. Chris says:

Limitless wasn’t leading out of the voices

2. Lynne says:

I wonder if DWTS numbers might be a little skewed because here in AZ, our ABC opted to air the Cardinals game and DWTS was pushed to midnight.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Supergirl is without a doubt my favorite new show of the season. CBS deserves high expectations for the series.

4. Dean says:

Wow supergirl soared good thing its staying roughly the same time and not moving to a completely diffrent night after airing like Intelligence did.

5. Mr. Smith says:

Actually, it is an average grade of ‘A’ as of this morning.

6. Lysh says:

I haven’t seen it since it leaked, but I’m glad it did well. It’s a solid pilot! Hopefully just as good next week. And hopefully DC doesn’t cast the movie version of Supergirl on the same day.

7. Rob says:

Kids will enjoy this. Hated Ms Flockharts role

8. Bonnie W says:

I’m in the minority….thought it was awful and won’t watch again.

9. DavidJ says:

Cool to see. I’m sure it will drop a bit next week, but hopefully not too much. Although I still have no idea how many viewers CBS expects or requires for it to continue. 8-10 million? More?

10. KC says:

It was terrible – it will drop as the weeks go on.

11. DD says:

it was ok not great. It was a little silly almost like a Power Rangers show

12. ABG says:

OK. Time to cancel Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and put something else in front of JTV. I don’t want it to end this season :(

13. Susannah says:

Should fans be worried about Jane the Virgin’s status? I don’t know what I’d do without my weekly dose of Rogelio!

• ABG says:

I’m worried now. Anything below 0.4 is bad news. Maybe they’ll put Legends of Tomorrow on Monday? Not likely, I know.

• Travis says:

Jane is still likely safe. CW is run by both CBS and WB and JTV is, sad as this is, the highest-rated of the CBS productions. That and critical acclaim should save it.

• grass says:

Agreed. and anything that makes it to season 2 on The CW will get to season 4 for syndication money. And I’m sure CBS makes enough money selling these shows overseas to offset the low ratings.

• Ginger Snap says:

Nope. Remember, it’s about multi-platform viewing and The CW has a number of shows that succeed across all platforms. I’ve never caught Jane The Virgin on Monday nights, but I do catch it eventually with streaming services. And that’s the case with most of the shows that I watch on The CW. I catch the online.

14. zac says:

oh Jane. Last night’s episode was good. maybe some people checked out Supergirl

• herman1959 says:

Yup, I’ll bet the 8:30 start for Supergirl put a ding in a lot of ratings for 9 PM shows. Let’s see how things look next week when Supergirl starts at 8:00. Now I have to go to hulu to watch the Minority Report episode I missed.

• WingsStef says:

Yes. My husband and I watched Supergirl together at 8:30, so I ended up watching Jane the Virgin on Hulu this morning. I am looking forward to the show moving up to 8:00pm next week as I wish to watch both programs.

15. hokiepokster92 says:

I expected more. The pacing felt rushed. Maybe a result of trimming down the pilot to fit the 60 minute time slot? I’ll stick with it because Berlanti and Kreisberg have done well with Arrow and The Flash.

• Ann says:

Yes, it did feel rushed. I think it’s the product cramming a backstory with a present-day story and introduction of characters into a 60-minute time frame. There were a lot of reveals last night. I would say they should have saved some for episode 2, but I think the execs at CBS wanted to put a big bang in the first episode to captivate the viewers.

16. JR says:

Good for CBS and Supergirl. It must be a relief to the networks that a well reviewed, quality show can actually deliver good ratings. Hope it holds up without the Big Bang lead in. Matt, curious why you didn’t include Scream Queens in fall series debut rating list?

17. Iakovos says:

Am happy SUPERGIRL bowed with strong numbers. Fingers crossed the quality is maintained and we do not get too wonky with too many characters and guest stars and convoluted stories. This looks good!

18. curtlyon19 says:

really like it! not just her wide eyed wonder but the ‘comic book’ was actually funny

19. GJ says:

I thought Supergirl was ok. I’ll come back to watch it. However, can we mention Scorpian, that was an intense episode. They’ve had some great episode, but last night was really good. I think more people should watch.

20. DL says:

Melissa Benoist was quite good, but the pilot was campy as all get out. And the effects were abominable. Not even half as good as SHIELD’s in a regular episode. How does the #1 rated network put out something so terrible looking?

• Z says:

The effects are actually fairly good for a network TV show. Comparable to what is done on Arrow and Flash. SHIELD does not do elaborate effects of this level, the stuff they do is easier to create.

21. Ellinas1978 says:

Let’s see what happens next week where it’s not leading out of a top 5 show and it’s not the series premier.

22. Ellinas1978 says:

For perspective look at Life in Pieces number leading out of Big Bang too.

23. Boiler says:

I only hope Supergirl does well to help Scorpion. CW may as well shut down. Whoever running them has ruined it. Next Monday may be interesting without TBBT lead in

24. mtb says:

Liked it a lot. It does need some work in a couple areas but I’m sure it will get better and better after each episode. She’s adorable and will be just fine.

25. Jada says:

Awesome! I loved the ppilot so much! My favorite new show right here.

26. lame says:

As long as the writers keep it about Kara trying to.fit in while making it look light, bright and with a sense of humor, this is breaking the stoggy CBS mold.

27. Erika says:

Good ratings for Supergirl,but it will drop sharply next week.

28. chuckiechk says:

even if ratings were to fall, before cbs would cancel it, I think they would move it to the cw network

29. Robroy says:

This show is so bad it makes The Fantastic Four look like Citizen Kane. It sells to 13 year old girls. It was poorly reviewed. I think TVline has been bought off.

30. KayCeeCee says:

YAY Rosewood for having good numbers without having a big show as a lead-in.

31. kmw says:

That’s definitely a good start for Supergirl but it wont have TBBT in front of it next week so we will see how it does. Nice that Gotham went up a little bit and not surprised with Minority Report. Nothing much else a surprise.

32. Z says:

I’m surprised that Gotham’s ratings werent affected by Supergirl.. I thought the comic fans would split more.

33. She reminded me of Blake Lively.. Am I the only one? Also, am I the only one that chuckled a bit when Lexi Grey was almost in another plane crash? lol

34. WingsStef says:

Supergirl was pretty good (I voted a B). I am looking forward for more next week.

35. Lex says:

I’ve been thinking Berlanti was crazy to break up his DC show universe (it felt like CBS was a parent trying to show teenage CW that it was still hip and edgy), but CBS surprised me! It also felt good to see something with a female hero get so much attention… I may actually be feeling less bitter at having to wait so long for a Wonder Woman movie and never getting a Black Widow movie. Meanwhile, the preceding TBBT was especially misogynistic last night…

36. Lex says:

I was following the Twitter conversation about the show’s cheesiness – yeah, there was some camp, but I think it’s what you get on The Flash – no one totally forgets they’re in a comic book show, even at the most emotionally affecting moments. It’s something I’ve seen in Berlanti’s other DC shows (or at least have seen in Flash and season 4 of Arrow – I no longer want the while cast to get a court mandate sending them to see a mental health professional). There’s the playful humor that’s aware how ridiculous their world can be, but they’re having so much fun and playing it with such sincerity that the performances never treat the shows as camp.

Yeah, there was a cheese factor with Supergirl (the waitress at the diner was a little too on-the-nose), but I grew up with Buffy: there were times when the Watchers’ Council would show up and they might as well be carrying a sign that says “Hi! We Represent the Patriarchy!” If there’s some girl out there who does feel empowered watching Kara in spite of the cheese and Spice Girl-era “Girl Power!” message, then mission accomplished.

37. Sara says:

It’s so confusing to me; can someone clarify for me? Like, so she was 13, which I think they said was 24 years ago. She went to Earth when Kal El did, but she got trapped in this place that time did not pass. Eventually she made it out by the time Kal El became Superman. The movie came out on 2013, 2 years ago. But then when Supergirl comes on, it’s 2015 and 12 years have passed.

And this dude said the first thing Superman saved was a plane. Um…I think it was the entire city… I don’t remember a plane

38. dioxinblues says:

Melissa Benoist is perfect casting and it makes the show.

39. Laura Markl says:

Of course it did well. Anything superhero related does well on TV or at the box office. All you have to do is look how many years Smallville was in and now you have ARROW and THE FLASH that performs very well on The CW. I had no doubt that SUPERGIRL would perform well.

40. Idol Girl says:

I recorded Supergirl and watched it last night. Pretty good pilot. Definitely felt a little rushed, but I liked the lighter tone and sense of wonder that was missing from the Man of Steel movie. Like The Flash, I think it will get better as the show progresses. Special effects were really good, especially for a TV show.