Vampire Diaries Tyler Returning

Vampire Diaries EP on Tyler's Return: He's 'One of the Success Stories'

Show of hands: How many of you audibly gasped when Tyler Lockwood showed up — during a flashforward, no less — on Thursday’s Vampire Diaries?

Well, I can’t see your hands, but I’m going to assume there’s a lot of you — myself included.

“We wanted to remind the audience that Tyler’s still very much a part of [the show’s] universe,” executive producer Caroline Dries tells TVLine. “When you’re fortunate enough to leave Mystic Falls — and not because you died — we try to exploit and embrace that. Tyler got away, so to speak, and just seeing a little glimpse of him in the show told the audience, ‘Look, three years from now, the guy’s still alive. So there’s some hope.'”

But the question is: What (and who) has Michael Trevino‘s character been up to during that three-year interim? “What is he, working on Wall Street?” Dries proposed when asked about Mr. Lockwood’s power suit in the flashforward.

“Tyler is one of the success stories of Mystic Falls,” Dries concedes. “Him having been able to escape the supernatural politics of the town is what that [appearance] was all about. Also, him letting Stefan know that he’ll always be there as an extension of their group.”

And even though further details are being kept under wraps, Dries confirms, “We will see him again.”

OK, time to play the Wild Speculation Game: What do you think Tyler’s future holds? And could he be Caroline’s mystery fiancé? (I’m starting to get that feeling, myself, and I’m kind of OK with it. There are far worse options, if you think about it.)

Whatever you’re theorizing and/or feeling, drop it in a comment below.

1. Gilded Lady says:

I was thinking he was the fiancé and I’d be okay with it if he was! Either way, I’m glad he did well for himself, he deserved it!

• Jules says:

Agree, Agree, Agree!! I loved Forwood and what the writers did to them was terrible. They were such a cute couple and I only blame the writers for screwing it up like everything else they touch. Looking ‘forwood’ to more Tyler in any capacity and they better do right by his s/l this time.

2. Becca says:

I’m way more on board with Caroline ending up with Tyler than Stefan. Caroline and Tyler had a lot of give and take and really beautiful moments between them, and honestly they have so much more chemistry and organic history between them than the random Stefan/Caroline pairing that came out of nowhere. I miss Forwood, all things considered, so I’d love for those two to get a little revival, even if it’s not permanent.

• MK says:

Totally agree! I loved Tyler with Caroline, and hated how things ended between the two. I just don’t see the chemistry between Stefan and Caroline.

3. crystal says:

I can’t wait till we actually get to three years from now on this show I want Enzo to be Juleins son. Lily have a father and son both wanting her love, and if a cross over is possible this would be a great time since the blood line to the heritics could be one of the orignials. there could be both friend and foe

4. Veronica says:

Tyler is not the fiance and even if he is it doesnt matter. You can clearly see Caroline is still madly in love in Stefan and they are gonna find their way back to each other as it should be.

5. spindae2 says:

Think it would’ve been more effective if that FF would’ve been kept for the final scene. I was really glad to see him, but I really hope he isn’t the fiancee. I need someone more shocking.

6. Drow says:

I didnt get that Tyler is the fiance like at all and only confirmed hes not it. Borewood was just terrible so i dont think they’ll go there, i just don’t see Caroline getting again with that idiot. But whoever it is i don’t think it’s a threat because Stefan and Caroline are meant to be.

• Jules says:

Sterobore is heck of a lot more boring, at least they HAVE chemistry. I’m sorry but I wanted to like SC because their progression up until s6 was great but then when they kissed I didn’t see any spark and that sex scene was horrible. Tried again this season and there is just nothing about them that says romantic.

• Natalie says:

Forwood does have way more chemistry but unfortunately I don’t think he’s the fiance. I think whoever it is is just there as a prop for S/C getting back together….which I will never understand because S/C are the worst couple on tvd in terms of chemistry.

• myblog1014 says:

Damon has more chemistry with his bourbon than Caroline does with Stefan

• DB says:

LOL too true!! But by the latest Drieyed interview she’s pushing this dead ship till the end. She’s only for couples w/o chemistry once she see’s chemistry she yanks them apart.

• Lorna says:

Steroline is boring. Noo chemistry whatsoever romamtically or sexually. They gross me out.

7. Maryann says:

I certainly HOPE Tyler is the mysterious fiance. I have always thought those two belonged together.

• Ryan says:

Amen. When the show tanked them in such terrible fashion, that’s when I pretty much stopped watching regularly. They were the only couple when you really think about it that came together in a completely organic fashion (no obsession form the get go, random supernatural possession, and/or no creepy “you look like my ex and I’m immediately drawn to you”), and brought out the best in each other. I’d for one love to see them end up together.

8. tigersmurfette says:

didnt tylers ff take place in somewhere thats not dallas(?) where caroline is?? plus, considering the situation she was last in, wouldnt he be more worried about her lack of contact?? if he was the fiance he’d know he was unable to contact her to and thus would be way more interested in what stefan was saying.

9. Malachi says:

All of them should of left mystic falls seasons ago TBH. Tyler really should be the mystery fiancé cause Caroline is so random just no.

10. deerek says:

Caroline belongs with Klaus only. No Steroline

11. beverly says:

I love the fact of caroline getting married to tyler ,but im so mad that elena so called died.i feel so bad for damon,him and elena should have had a happy life together.

• wesley says:

Nope Damon is better off without whiny Elena. Both of their characters deteriorated as soon as they got together. Thanks to Nina we don’t have to watch that anymore and hopefully we get the real Damon back.

• Lorna says:

Seriously? Caroline is ten times whinier than Elena ever was. I loved Caroline until s4, then she became Stefans lap dog. Ugh.

12. whitney says:

i know the show got away from the books using very small snip-its of the book in the show and i mean very small but in the books tyler and caroline end up together with kids maybe them being together is the little snip-it the show will take from the books this time… a girl can hope anyway :)

13. Sapphire says:

I never got the feeling he was Caroline’s fiance. In fact he never once crossed my mind. Caroline moved on from him and I just can’t see it happening… I do hope she’s reporting news from New Orleans tho ;)

14. Lorna says:

Glad to see him. He was always underused. Loved him and Caroline together.

15. lara says:

I don’t think Tyler is her fiance. While he is obviously concerned for Caroline’s safety when he and Stefan talk, he does not seem personally invested in keeping her safe. I am staying hopeful that TVD stays true to Klause’s promise that he will be Caroline’s last love. If not Klause, then I can see Enzo growing close to her for an unexpected union between the two.

• Sapphire says:

My thoughts exactly. Klaus WILL be Caroline’s last love. But with all the fury behind Caroline towards Stefan, I don’t think shes finished with him yet either.

• JC says:

Klaus promise is meaningless. Let it go. Caroline never loved Klaus and she never will.

16. Kinsey says:

I love Steroline <3

17. Zee Racey says:

Can’t wait to see more Steroline soon, they’re my favorite couple on TVD!

18. Steroline Is Life !!! my ship is so endgame :)

19. Me says:

Look at these salty anti steroliners in the comments 😂😂 (they’re really bitter stelena and klaroline fans). This ship is the sweetest, healthiest relationship this show has ever had. The BEAUTIFUL thing is that there was literally an established dynamic between them in the PILOT ep of the show and the dynamic has progressed and transformed through the seasons.
    Stelena would NEVER make sense again with Elena breaking Stefan’s heart so brutally, he would have to have zero self respect to take her back. And don’t even get me started on the abusive toxic mess that is the klaroline relationship where klaus has not only succeeded at murdering her loved ones (Tyler’s mother and aunt Jenna) but inflicted gross abuse and attempted murder on Caroline MULTIPLE times in the series with his humanity on. The relationship which had awful development, beginning with him “suddenly” and “out of the blue” falling in love with her in 3×11 and she still hated him last in 4×16, to having sex in 5×11 (which was extremely out of character and which she REGRETTED doing).

• Marissa says:

I’m not a fan of either pair. I don’t like SC because they don’t have chemistry and they bore me to death. It doesn’t matter how well the story/development is written if people don’t feel or see anything between them. Paul and Candice do have a siblingesque quality they bring on screen while Kat and Ian have real sexual on screen chemistry. You can’t write chemistry. That’s my problem with them. I enjoyed SK and SR and was hoping they would just bring someone new on for Stefan. I would’ve loved if they would’ve brought Tyler on this season for Caroline because even if I’m not really a Caroline fan they had great chemistry. There’s really no romance this season if you’re not into them and I think that’s what is lacking plus of course the s/l aren’t as great as I hoped for either. Apparently I’m not the only one who thinks so, the ratings don’t lie.

• Lynn says:

LMAO I think we see who the “salty” fans are. Stay pressed, I can’t wait for Calaric and Stalarie to rise!

20. rose says:

tyler as the mystery fiance? love it! go3x! really love to see him back in tvd! caroline & tyler – much better!!! but caroline & stefan – ugh! no chemistry at all!

21. OMG I screamed his name when Tyler showed up. I’ve liked Tyler ever since his wolf transition. Sure he can be a jerk sometimes but he’s the product of his upbringing. i’m just glad that he had a good life away from the drama & death. It’s what his mom would have wanted.

22. RivoniaK says:

Yeah, bring back FORWOOD. They should be endgame :-)

23. Brad says:

In my opinion it’s great to have Michael Trevino back as Tyler Lockwood my question is his in a relationship with Steven r McQueen’s character Jeremy Gilbert as his lover

24. Bradley says:

I’m glad that Michael Trevino is making a comeback to the the vampire diaries and with Steven R McQueen and there in a relationship hope that’s true because they would make a perfect couple it’s about time they hook up