Post Mortems
The Flash Season 2 Spoilers Wells Earth 2

Flash EPs on Two Big Returns, Zoom Threat, Firestorm's Future and More

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Tuesday’s episode of The Flash

It’s a big, big world on The Flash. So big in fact that Tuesday’s episode of the CW series introduces another Earth, where Wells still exists as S.T.A.R. Labs’ founder, Jay Garrick (AKA the Crimson Comet) races through the streets and the speed demon Zoom is out to get him.

Now on Earth 1, Jay warns Barry of the threat from Zoom and the many breaches between worlds that the singularity created. Needless to say, the scarlet speedster’s team has a full plate of worry.

“It’s very bad,” previews Todd Helbing, who co-wrote the episode with his brother Aaron. “There are 52 breaches and Zoom can come through any of them with whoever he wants, so they have to figure out quickly how to manage the biggest threat to them.”

Below, the two writers/producers discuss Wells’ “resurrection,” Jay’s flirtatious relationship with Caitlin, Firestorm’s fate and the surprise arrival of Iris’ mom.

The Flash Season 2 SpoilersWELLS 2 | Viewers haven’t seen the last of the doc in his new surroundings. “Since we introduce Earth 2, there’s always a possibility we’ll go there,” Aaron Helbing reveals. “Not necessarily early on, but you’ll see more of it, yes.” Finding a way to bring back star Tom Cavanagh despite his character’s death last season was an easy decision for the producers. “If it were up to me, I’d have Tom Cavanagh in every show,” Todd Helbing says. “He’s amazing. It’s such a unique opportunity to have a character that everybody fell in love with and everybody hated at the same time and try to reinvent him in a different way. That was always the plan. It was just a challenge to figure out how to do that and have it be satisfactory.”

ZOOM INTO YOUR NIGHTMARES | The new Big Bad will prove to be a much more menacing foe than the Reverse Flash, who “had to hone Barry to get what he wanted,” Todd Helbing describes. “Zoom is just like your worst nightmare. He’s going to come in and if he doesn’t get these [villains] to do what he wants, he’s going eventually show up and try to take [Barry] down himself. He’s the scariest speedster on the planet.” To put it bluntly, “Wells had a bit of a conscience now and then when it came to Barry. Zoom wants to kill Barry,” Aaron Helbing explains. So why doesn’t he just travel through the breach and do it himself? “There is a reason, but you’ll learn that down the line,” is all Todd Helbing will say.

The Flash Season 2 SpoilersA NEW ROMANCE? | If you noticed a spark between Jay and the widowed Caitlin – and it was pretty hard not to – you were right to pick up on a “connection” between the two scientists, his portrayer Teddy Sears says. There’s “almost an instant comfort level. That wonderful thing you don’t get with too many people in life, these two experience. They’re going to explore that a little bit.” Adds Todd Helbing: “There’s something that he is struggling with that you’ll start to learn in the next couple of episodes. That’s partly where Caitlin comes into play, to help him with something.”

FIRESTORM 2.0 | Given Dr. Martin Stein’s collapse at the end of this Tuesday’s installment, it’s obvious “with what happened to Ronnie, he’s missing a side of him that he’s had for quite a while now, and that’s going to start to sneak up on him,” Tood Helbing teases. But while the team searches for a new Firestorm match for the doctor, could Robbie Amell’s Ronnie return in another world? “We’re in the Flash-verse, so anything is possible,” Todd Helbing says. “There’s Earth 2, there’s multiverse. There’s always the possibility for Ronnie to come back.”

The Flash Season 2 SpoilersTHE FAMILY WEST | Wells wasn’t the only character to make a surprise appearance in this week’s episode. Iris’ MIA mama Francine also returned “to see her daughter and reestablish this family that she once had,” Todd Helbing previews. But why she’s reaching out now is a mystery that will be revealed in time, and when it is, it will cause some upheaval for her daughter. “Iris, obviously, has this conception about her mother and her being away from her her whole life,” the EP describes, adding that new truths “will turn [Iris’] world upside down.”

SPIVOT TWIST TO WESTALLEN | While the titular speedster hit it off with science-geek cop Patty Spivot, “Iris is always Barry’s lightning rod – best friend, first love of his life,” Todd Helbing points out. “But she just lost Eddie, so as she is dealing with this and Barry and Iris are slipping back into that friendship mold, it leaves an opportunity to explore a relationship with Patty. We’ll see how that develops. But Iris and Barry are childhood friends and loves and that’s always going to be there for both of them.”

Flash fans, what did you think of the multiverse-tastic episode? Sound off below!

1. StephonJS says:

I like the nod to the NEw 52

• DD says:

I don’t I hate the new 52, I want the pre-52 Superboy and wally west back, I liked him better than Barry

• psicomenace says:

I love the old Wally but am ok with Barry as main Flash, if Wally comes back he obviously should be the main Flash, besides DC is already doing something with the Titans Hunt mini giving their pre-New52 memories back to people like Dick Grayson, Donna Troy.
        BTW I’m totally agree about Superboy, I miss Conner.

• Brian Bauer says:

I loved the nod to Flash issue #123.

2. chuckiechk says:

thought tonights episode was really good and I enjoy the interaction between Jay and Barry

3. Robby says:

If replacing Ronnie in the TV universe goes as well as replacing Ronnie with Jason Reuch in the comics, there going to be some serious backstepping soon.

4. Drew says:

This was a solid episode. I like the multiverse angle. It feels a little Fringe-y, the way they’re using it. That is a good thing.
    Patty’s intro was a little weak. She came across as someone who was too gung-ho and naive, which wouldn’t make anyone want to hire her. But she has time to grow.
    Jay is pretty cool and I like how they’re using him.
    Not a fan of replacing Ronnie. I hope he comes back by the end of the season.
    I hope that the Wally they use is from another Universe. Maybe he can be an alternate version of Iris or her brother from another world. But with the introduction of Iris’ mother, it seems likely that he is from this universe. And he probably needs help, either in terms of health or he is getting into trouble.
    Either way, I’m not sure that season 2 is the right time to bring him in. Since Wells pushed up the timeframe here, Wally should be a little kid at this point.

5. JJ says:

Is the Earth 2 Wells that world’s actual Wells? If yes, he’s not necessarily a bad guy, right?

• Maryann says:

They didn’t say, but that is what I assumed — that this time we get the real Wells and a good guy. So does Barry Allen exist on Earth 2 and what is he like?

6. donnamama says:

No mention of Cisco and his new abilities from the recapper. Otherwise great episode lots going on.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Barry Allen and Patty Spivot should make a great chemistry this season.

• psicomenace says:

They should be endgame, even in the comics, I just can’t understand why they made them break up at the end of the last long arc.

8. Sheldon W. says:

Loved the TV take on Jay’s costume. The rest was pretty cool, too!

9. Lori says:

Good episode tonight, Jay is hot.

10. SayNay says:

This felt more like a premiere than last week’s episode. I’m excited for the two worlds arc.

11. Joey Padron says:

New episode was good. Good to see Jay in his speedster suit. He did good in episode. Cisco isn’t liking his new meta human powers. Hope Dr.Stein will be okay. Surprised Iris’s mom show up at the end. It will be interesting how Wells will be in Earth 2.

12. Kate says:

I liked Patty particularly when she revealed her motive for wanting to join the task force. I look forward to seeing more of her.

13. Matty Si says:

So I’m guessing then that Killer Frost the Caitlin Snow from Earth 2?

14. Anonymous says:

One thing I do NOT get is Cisco not wanting to tell people about what he sees. However, they ALREADY know that he can see erased timelines. True that seeing things that have just happened is a little different.. but still confusing?

15. Dj says:

I thought the 52 thing was clever, liked Joe’s new partner and I wouldn’t mind it if she was Barry’s new love interest. I also like the Arrow reference which showed that the two shows happening around the same time. Overall good episode

16. DMK says:

I understand the reasoning but I must admit, I’m a bit disappointed that Jay’s speed is gone.

Loved the TV version of Jay’s costume. Especially the helmet. Loved the “Don’t tell me you found it.”

I like Patty. Here’s hoping they use her well, and develop her appropriately.

I *really* don’t like scaredy-cat Cisco. Doesn’t work for me *at all*. The Cisco Ramon I got to know last season would’ve been all over getting powers. Not sure where this guy came from.

17. Gerri says:

So I have been assuming all along that Ronnie was sucked into an alternate Universe (Earth 2) but this description makes it sound like if Ronnie comes back it will be the Earth 2 version of him. Not the original Ronnie.
    I like the idea that Killer Frost is Kaitlin from earth 2.
    Dr Wells is Zoom from Earth 2? He is a speedster in both universes?
    I like Jay
    But I really like Dr. Stein. Such a valuable resource for Barry’s Team. Love Victor Garber. If/When Legends of Tomorrow fails I hope he comes back to Flash.

18. Ram510 says:

Ibdidnt realized Robbie Amell wasn’t on tap for more episodes, that’s awful! It’s nice they left it open for him to return but he should be a main character on The Flash or LoT. This kinda makes me hope that X-Files fails

19. Nancy Brown says:

I love “Flash” would die if it were ever cancelled. So many different plots going on at the same time. I too would like to see Dr. Wells in more episodes. He’s attractive, mysterious and one doesn’t quite know whether to not to trust him. Time for Barry to see his alter ego. Would love to slowly see all of the characters as they are from earth 2. BTW love these spoilers they keep up my interest.

20. Malcolm Stewart says: