Twin Peaks Recast

Twin Peaks Recasts Major Role for Revival (and It's a Total Bummer)

This is a damn fine disappointment.

When Twin Peaks resurfaces on Showtime in Summer 2017, there will be a new sheriff in town.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Michael Ontkean has opted not to reprise his beloved role of Sheriff Harry S. Truman in the upcoming limited-run revival. Rumor has it that veteran actor Robert Forster (Heroes, Karen Sisco) has stepped in to replace Ontkean as the town’s top lawman, although it’s unclear if he will be playing Truman or a new sheriff.

Regarding Ontkean’s decision not to return, a source close to the actor says, “Michael is fully retired from show business, Forsterand has been for many years.”

Although Ontkean’s absence will come as a blow to diehard Twin Peaks fans, Forster is something of a felicitous replacement. Twin Peaks legend has it that David Lynch originally eyed Forster for the role of Sheriff Truman during Twin Peaks‘ inaugural ABC run. (Lynch would go on to hire Forster as a cop in 2001’s Mulholland Drive.)

Forster is the latest Twin Peaks neophyte to board the Showtime continuation, joining The Killing‘s Peter Sarsgaard, Prison Break‘s Robert Knepper, Brothers & Sisters’ Balthazar Getty and Big Love‘s Amanda Seyfried. To date, the only piece of casting Showtime has officially confirmed is Kyle MacLachlan, who will reprise his role as Agent Dale Cooper.

Lynch and fellow co-creator Mark Frost have penned all episodes of the present-day revival — which is rumored to total more than a dozen episodes — with Lynch directing every installment. Filming is currently underway in Washington state.

A Showtime rep declined to comment for this story.

1. KC says:

Damn! I was looking forward to seeing him again.

2. alistaircrane says:

Speaking of recasts, are we getting Lara Flynn Boyle or Moira Kelly as Donna?

• Tim says:

I read a whole new Donna. I think it’s only fair that they’d give it to Moira though—unless they came up with an idea to have Donna survive some horrible accident that disfigured her, then I’d ask Lara back.

• Timmah says:

I couldn’t care less about Donna, she was a dud character anyway. I want to see Audrey (Sherilyn Fenn) again!

• Tony Lang says:

You made milk come out of my nose

• Phlerg says:

A whole new actress to play Donna a 3rd time?? Damn! I loved Lara as Donna, but her face……..although totally Lynchian in its disfiguredness, does not suit Donna, and I though Moira looked a little too exotic to be playing Donna, who was pale with freckles in the series…..but I’d rather have Moira back than have a new actress on board.

• alistaircrane says:

So it’s all about the look and not the acting?? I thought Moira gave a much better performance in a 2 hour movie than LFB did in the entire 2-season run.

3. Heathers says:

Ontkean had a very small non speaking role in The Descendants which starred George Clooney, a few years ago. He played a cousin or something like that.

• Perk says:

He did have a speaking role in The Descendants. Just very little screen time. He talked to Clooney for a few minutes and then he was at the scene with all the family.

4. Andrew says:

“Rumor has it that veteran actor Robert Forster (Heroes, Karen Sisco) has stepped in to replace Ontkean as the town’s top lawman, although it’s unclear if he will be playing Truman or a new sheriff.”

Uh, if you don’t yet know whether or not the Truman role has been recast, why would you use, without any qualifying, the word “Recast” in the headline?

5. daviddavid says:

That’s a real shame; he was FNATATSIC! Harry Truman for sure!

6. Theresa says:

Very disappointed. Sherilynn Fenn and Michael Ontkean are my favorites from the show.

7. Bob Backus says:

I’m guessing only 1 original is back, it just seems to be more “others” cast than anyone from the show. Is there any real reason to keep it quiet?

8. I like Forster and it was silly to expect that EVERYONE was coming back.

9. Pufnstuf says:

If they don’t cast the original actors and bring back original characters along with some newbies, this revival is doomed as much as the new Dallas was. Fans want to see their favorites back, not just one original and all new characters. Why don’t studios/producers get that?

10. Not a total bummer. In fact, not a bummer at all. Robert Forster is a wonderful actor, as his performances in Jackie Brown, Diamond Men and Medium Cool will attest. We’ll miss Michael Ontkean, but Forster has formidable chops and gravitas, and will be a fine addition/substitute.

• MelindaB says:

Exactly. It’s a bummer that Ontkean won’t be back, but I loved Forster in the sadly short-lived Karen Sisco, as well as anything else I’ve seen him in.

11. KenL says:

I’m totally bummed about this, and yet, at the same time, Forester is a great actor and will be a great addition.

12. Sheldon W. says:

Forster is awesome so this is okay by me.

13. Carol says:

Better check IMDB cuz it shows he’s filming:
    Michael Ontkean
    Twin Peaks (TV Series) (filming)
    Sheriff Harry S. Truman
    – Episode #1.1 … Sheriff Harry S. Truman

• Jack McKinney says:

Guessing that was wishful thinking on someone’s part. I would imagine that the entire original cast was initially added to the list and they’re being removed one by one as folks confirm/deny their involvement.

14. Jack McKinney says:

Definitely a bummer but it’s hard to be disappointed about getting Forster involved. He elevates everything he appears in. That said, I was really excited to see Ontkean and Mclachlan together again. They had such an easy chemistry and I was excited at the prospect of seeing that friendship continue onscreen (and it wasn’t too much of a stretch to imagine Harry and the bookhouse boys leading the charge to rescue “good” Cooper from the lodge…hard to see a new sheriff with no shared history having the same loyalty to Coop).

15. Rod says:

I’m late to the party here, but what a shame! The scene where Truman is despondant over Josie Packard’s death still brings a tear to my eye. Ontkean nailed that scene.