Fall TV Preview
Bones Once Upon a Time

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once, Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Vampire Diaries, Arrow, S.H.I.E.L.D., The Flash and More

How bad is it for Bones‘ Booth? Will Once Upon a Time explain two vanishings? How will Arrow‘s Felicity react to a shocking return? Is Gotham expecting? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

I’m desperate for some Bones scoop! Plz, give us something! —Claudia
Booth’s disappearance takes a very bloody turn in Episode 2. Elsewhere, a handsome new man enters the Jeffersonian to assist Angela (which immediately puts Hodgins on high alert), while Cam and Arastoo make a big decision about their relationship.

Now that Once Upon a Time‘s Emma is the Dark Swan, can her heart be removed from her chest? –Mia Bennett
Good question – yet one that is not addressed in the Season 5 premiere, at least, seeing as she is busy doing the pumper-plucking :-O What’s more, she’s not the only one in  Sunday’s premiere aiming to take someone’s ticker!

Once Upon a Time‘s Zelena always has a trick up her sleeve. Do you think she will try to regain her powers? –Rasika
I do “think” that, yes. The question is, though: Is she clever enough to outwit those who prefer her to remain incapacitated? Bonus premiere scoop: Amy Manson and her hair are quite terrific as Merida (and Rumple has a great line about the Brave one’s accent); Emma/Hook fans better have their GIF-making machines at the ready; and the episode ends with a final twist I did not see coming.

So excited to hear that Mulan will be back on Once Upon a Time. Last we saw, Robin Hood asked her to join his band of Merry Men. Any chance we will see more of her relationship with Robin Hood? –Karola
The whereabouts of Mulan (played by Jamie Chung), as well as Meghan Ory’s Ruby/Red, will be accounted for when each character resurfaces after so much time off-screen. “We’re not planning to drop them back in the show with no explanation and just say, ‘Oh, they were over in the corner,'” says co-creator Adam Horowitz. “We do want to give a taste of where Mulan has been and what she’s been up to and what she’s been going through. The same with Red.”

When Empire first started, it touched on a lot of important issues in the black community. Now, as times are increasingly tense racially, socially and economically, how will the show be addressing issues in Season 2? —Jazmine
As you saw from the season opener’s “Gorilla suit” scene — and heard in Cookie’s incendiary “How much longer?” speech — Empire is not shying away from examining the topic of high incarceration rates for (and recent instances of excessive police force against) African-Americans. And it won’t be a one-time-only reference. The #BlackLivesMatter movement is “not a story arc for us, but thematically we touch on it throughout the season in different ways, because it touches the lives of these characters,” Chaiken tells us. Adds Strong: “As long as we keep our end of it truthful and honest to what’s happening in America today, we can’t go wrong.” Bonus scoop: Chaiken previously told us a character named Laura would be one “to keep an eye on” this season. Pressed for more details about the mystery woman (who’s played by Jamila and will first appear in Episode 4), here’s what she had to say: “I don’t know that I meant to call her a major character, but she’s a major talent. Certainly, she’s someone I wanted fans to be aware of because we’re excited about her music and her story — she plays an important relationship role [as] a love interest for Hakeem.”

Any word on if HBO will pick up Alan Ball’s Virtuoso pilot to series? –Nat
I checked on this for you on Thursday, and there is alas no word yet.

OK, I’m back on board with Gotham. Any scoop to share? –Craig
This Monday’s episode features a significant death, as well as an enormously entertaining dialogue between Lucius Fox (newly promoted series regular Chris Chalk) and Alfred, as the gents first meet and warily compare agendas with regard to Master Bruce. Also, if you were wondering if the real-life baby news for costars Ben McKenzie and Morena Baccarin will be mirrored on-screen, I am hearing that is not the plan.

Vampire Diaries‘ Steroline shippers need to know if Stefan and Caroline will be together in the future timeline. Thank you! –Mary
Things are quite dire in the Oct. 8 premiere’s flash forwards, so romance isn’t really the priority. That said, Caroline and Stefan share plenty of screentime — and a few awkward, loaded silences — back in present day Mystic Falls.

Any positive Vampire Diaries spoilers you can give us on future Bonnie/Damon scenes? –Renee
Would you consider Bonnie playing chaperon to the vampire and Alaric’s drunken European adventures “positive”? How about Damon calling her his best friend? (Somewhere, Alaric is crying into his booze.)

Did The Vampire Diaries cast young Giusepe? I saw this pic on Annie Wersching’s IG profile. The actor in the pic is John Charles Meyer, and he looks really a lot like Old Giusepe. –Marko
A show rep confirms that Meyer – whose recent TV credits include Hawaii Five-0 and Mom – will be playing the Salvatore boys’ dad in flashbacks, in Episode 7.

Have you seen The Flash premiere yet? If so, how is it?? –Janelle
I got around to it the other day, and by and large it is quite satisfying. You will (eventually) see exactly how the “singularity” was dealt with, and why that seeming victory has, sadly, splintered Team Flash in multiple directions. A highly entertaining bromance gets a big boost, one could argue that the foundation for Caitlin’s fated alter ego is laid, and there is a montage toward the end that is simply wonderful and loaded with heart. All that said, I’d be lying if I didn’t acknowledge a major “What the heck?” moment in the penultimate scene, a zag that actually had me yelling, “What the heck?” (or saltier words to that effect) at my laptop screen.

SVU, Chicago Med, Chicago P.D., Chicago Fire, crossovers… anything!?!? Please! –Kenny
Oliver Platt, who plays Chicago Med shrink Dr. Daniel Charles, will be keeping busy ahead of the spinoff’s launch — on both P.D. and Fire. For Lindsay’s rehabilitation on the former., “Voight has some really strict conditions she has to meet,” executive producer Matt Olmstead previews. “He wants her to meet with Dr. Charles, so she goes there and tries to work him and deflect — ‘Just tell my boss we met’ – but he’s a little smarter than that. She then comes back later and kind of opens up a bit to him. They talk about her dad a little.” Charles will also assist the Fire crew after “Brett and Chili go through a pretty heavy duty first call in the first episode” and the former develops a “fixation” about the well-being of a baby.

It was teased a little while ago that Hawaii Five-0 might do an episode where Steve and Danny go to New Jersey. Any updates on that? –Sarah
Nothing is firmed up just yet, but we’re maybe getting closer to Steve observing Danny in his natural habitat. “We’ve been holding that story in abeyance for so long,” showrunner Peter M.Lenkov admits. “I’m hoping to do it this year.”

Is there anyway possible you can get more info from any sources you have, or from [TNT president] Kevin Reilly himself, on the subject of Titans? –Jeff
Seeing how many got into a tizzy and feared the worst when TNT announced its fall/winter slate – and given that there has been no movement on the casting/production front – I asked around and have been assured that the DC Comics-based series is still in development.

Sleepy Hollow‘s Season 2 finale ended with Abbie and Crane in the past. Does Jenny wander roam a different period at any time? –Ramon
So far, there’s no indication that Jenny will travel through time like her sister did last season. But she will traverse a path we haven’t seen before: gainful, legitimate employment. Lyndie Greenwood fans will be happy to hear that the job Jenny has in the premiere is an easy way to keep her deeply enmeshed in the Witnesses’ mission throughout the season. P.S. Our Kim Roots says the premiere is a “solid restart” for the Fox drama and has the potential to bring back to the fold many viewers frustrated by Season 2’s trajectory.

If Sleepy Hollow‘s Crane just up and left Abbie without a word, and they’ve neither seen nor spoken to each other in nine months [at the point Season 3 opens], I imagine their reunion isn’t going to be lovey-dovey. Anything you can tell us? –Bella
It’s not “lovey-dovey,” but it’s also not as contentious as you might imagine — partly because of what’s happened for each of the Witnesses during their absence from each other, and partially because of the circumstances under which they reunite.

I’ll take anything you’ve got on the Secret Warriors in the upcoming season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. –Joseph
As you may be well aware, the comic books’ Secret Warriors story followed Nick Fury as he rounded up young people with powers and safeguarded them from corrupt elements within and outside of S.H.I.E.L.D. “And the person sort of in charge of training them, under him, is Daisy Johnson,” series EP Jeff Bell points out. On the ABC series, in lieu of Fury, “Coulson’s our director, and at the end of last season he tasked Daisy with trying to find Inhumans, or powered people, to put together a team to combat the rise of these other people out in the world. And that’s a process. As you can imagine, it’s one thing to find a person who has powers; it’s another to find a person who has those skills and wants to be with you. So, the idea of putting together a Secret Warrior team over the course of the season seems like a noble goal for S.H.I.E.L.D., as they battle Inhumans.”

I’m so excited for Season 4 of Arrow and Olicity. But I was wondering what we can expect from Felicity on her own? What kind of storyline will she have? –Natalie
As we previously reported, Felicity will be stepping up and facing challenges as Palmer Tech’s new CEO. Speaking of the company’s namesake, the discovery that presumed-dead Ray is actually alive is “a huge emotional reveal, especially for Felicity,” executive producer Wendy Mericle previews. But don’t worry, Olicity ‘shippers — “It’s more of an emotional reaction to the loss of a friend than any sort of romantic rival. She’s very happy with Oliver when we come back in Season 4, but [she and Ray] were friends and they left on good terms. It’s more just the relief of, ‘Oh my gosh, I thought you were gone and now you’re not. How exciting is that?'”

Any insight to the pic that Arrow‘s Stephen Amell posted with The Flash‘s Grant Gustin, in formal wear? Funeral? Wedding?! Something else entirely? –Hannah
Vlada Gelman and I were debating this over IM the other day. I put $20 on “funeral.”

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com(With reporting by Vlada Gelman, Kim Roots and Andy Swift)

1. Castle Fan says:

Nothing for Castle :(

• abz says:

Just watched Castle’s premiere today and I have to say, terrible episode. WAYYYYY TOO MUCH Ryan and Esposito. Ugh, why some viewers and the writers still find them interesting, I will probably never understand. And again one member of a couple is keeping secrets from the other. Lame. Beckett lying and keeping secrets from Castle is not interesting. This season is definitely not off to good start for me. It really shows that the supporting cast on this show CANNOT carry this show at all. I know Stana had movie commitments, but its pretty obvious her reduced presence in the episode and interactions with Castle impacted the episode. That premiere was a total snoozefest, I’m not surprised by the ratings drop. If this doesn’t improve soon, I’d be surprised if this wasn’t the last season.

2. Amy says:

Thanks for all the OUAT scoop Matt, I was so busy wondering about how a kiss with Henry (since TLK almost broke the curse before with Rumple and Belle) that I never even thought about her heart since it wasn’t removable before. I’m hearing great things about 501 and particularly Morrison’s performance. I’m looking forward to the season

• Vari says:

But i would assume Emma can take her own heart out. No one else can take her heart out.
      I hear all reports on how Jen Morrison is awesome, she’s been awesome always

3. Vari says:

Wow. Seems like something massive happens at the end with Emma and Hook. How do i proceed from here. Shall i be worried and nervous and intrigued. I look forward to what we will see from their dynamic and relationship now she is Dark One and he is fighting like hell to save her and get this dark curse out with all the Team.

4. Amanda says:

Excited about the OUAT, Gotham, Flash, and Empire scoop. Really was hoping the “Gotham” writers would write in Morena’s pregnancy as Jim’s daughter and future Batgirl should be born sometime soon. Bruce is about 14 to 15 years older than her and we already met Dick Grayson’s parents and they were already planning on starting a family. In some of the versions Jim’s daughter, not saying Barbara since that would be weird now if the baby is named that, is slightly older than Dick so if the pregnancy was written in it would work. Plus, would make Barbara really jealous and can totally see her trying to steal the baby thinking it’s “hers” since she usually is Batgirl’s mother.

• Drew says:

It would be weird to make Leslie Thompkins the mother of *the* Barbara Gordon. My current theory is that Barbara will get pregnant on the show and Jim will end up adopting the baby. I don’t see him naming his kid “Barbara” on his own, but it would make sense for Barbara to do it.

• noneramaistatamiaintenzioneguardarequestoschifo says:

R.I.P Arrow. I hope felicity will die a slow and painful death.
      Any news on some shows that not include atrocious romance/shippy crap?
      Tv is really dead.

• Lex says:

…You are aware that most scripted television requires characters to interact, don’t you? And that “shippy stuff” actually is a common interaction between human beings? There’s a scene in a Community episode where the characters recognize that as no one is related, they are all viable romantic partners for each other. Guess what? That’s true of every show, and Game of Thrones doesn’t even care to worry about the not-related part. If you want something other than “shippy stuff,” ask Matt yourself. And yes, *of course* TV is dead – though if it was, why would everyone be calling this “the Golden Age of TV”? TV is alive and thriving as content and distribution evolves with streaming services, Arrow’s set up to return to the creativity in storytelling of late season 1 and season 2 (because most people agree the show didn’t find itself until Oliver, Diggle and Felicity became a team, but I’m sure your mileage already varies on this), thirty years from now during the next live-action superhero adaptation cycle the character of Felicity Smoak will be as intrinsic to the Green Arrow story as Lois Lane is to Superman, and some people just can’t be pleased.

• kath says:

You will be sorry to hear then that all literature, going back to Shakespeare then the Greeks then oral history, is about shippy storylines.
        It took Odysseus 10 years but he got back to his Penelope in the end.

5. Bwhit says:

Based on the trailers that have been released for PD and Fire, it might be necessary for Halstead and Casey to schedule a session or two with Dr. Charles as well!

6. Liz1 says:

Thanks for the Felicity scoop! I had hoped it would be something that wasn’t related to Ray though. He stole enough of her storyline last season with all the propping she had to do for him. Fingers crossed for more. :)))

• Lex says:

I’m still waiting for the big Daddy Smoak reveal (unless I missed something?). Felicity and Daddy Smoak Laurel and Lance, Thea and Malcolm, even Diggle and Sara – this will be the season of Girls with Daddy Issues. Kinda nice to see the ladies dealing with this relationship for once, in a kind of disturbing and ominous way.

• Kai says:

No Ray’s duties of propping Felicity are coming to an end, he has a new show to run. Felicity will be sharing most of her screentime and being propped by Mr Terrific this season. But he is going to be gay, so you should be fine with him, right.

7. spindae2 says:

Thx Matt for checking up on my Q about that Annie pic. A flashback to young Giusepe should be fun.

Btw I’m betting 20$ it’s indeed an Arrow funeral as well, but wouldn’t be certain that it is a real one or decoy.

8. Luis says:

Still no word on the fates of Nora and Henry Allen?

9. Dee says:

Am I the only one kinda sorta NOT looking forward to a season so focused on the secret warriors?

10. Jack says:

If the writers put half as much effort in creating a better season of television than they do in trying to please Olicity fans, we might have the Arrow of S1 and S2 back that we all enjoyed. It’s a joke how much Wendy Mericle had to explain Felicity is “relieved” at someone she knows not being dead because of FRIENDSHIP not ROMANTIC feelings. What an absolute joke.

11. Alisha says:

Been hearing amazing things about the TVD S7 premiere.. Cant wait.. Bring on the Steroline & Bamon :)

12. Cecily says:

Wow was Ray being alive common knowledge for arrow fans? I feel like that’s a massive spoiler… Unless he was in the trailer and I missed him?

13. Annie says:

Glad TVline also remembers that Alaric and Damon were supposed to be best friends dammit

14. Drew says:

With Arrow, I’m curious to see how big a departure season 4 will be from season 3. If at all possible, I’d like to forget that season 3 happened and go on enjoying the show again.
    As for the pic of Stephen and Grant in formal clothes… Grant is wearing a blue tie and a polka-dotted pocket square, which seems a little cheerful for a funeral. That said, if it is a wedding and if it is the wedding the a lot of Arrow fans want… I don’t know that those Arrow fans should be celebrating. A happy mid-season wedding usually leads to someone holding someone else’s dead body while fires burn around them in the season finale.
    If it is a funeral, I vote for Captain Lance. Nothing against the actor, but the character was completely destroyed last season.

• Liz1 says:

It definitely won’t be a wedding. Amell said that picture was when they were filming game changing scenes and a wedding is hardly game changing. I vote funeral. I don’t know whose funeral but I definitely don’t think it’s a wedding. (Oh and I vote for Lance too. Season 3 destroyed his character and I have no wish to see how they try and rectify that.)

• tvjunkie says:

Does it matter? Nobody stays dead on this show except Mama and Papa Queen

• Lex says:

I hope I don’t have to start selling “If Felicity Dies We Riot” shirts on Etsy… of course, Oliver will be back in the limelight dabbling in politics, and Barry showing up to annoy him (in his wonderful, endearing way) during fundraiser or gala requiring suits and ties would be comic gold… are they wearing boutonnieres? The ones Diggle and Oliver had for Digg’s wedding made them look like each other’s prom dates.

• Kai says:

[With Arrow, I’m curious to see how big a departure season 4 will be from season 3. ]

Thats an easy deduction. From a semi Olicity show to a Full Olicity show.

• More likely, it’ll be like Season Two, but with the relationship confirmed. It seems like Anti-Olicity fans are more obsessed with how much time the ‘ship will take in the show than those rooting for it. Then you wonder why so many articles use it as a hook…

• ab1973 says:

Arrow S3 was an epic suckfest. Captain Lance is now an abusive cop and a grotesque hypocrite, so yes, please kill him off. I don’t worry about them killing off Felicity. She’s too popular (damage to her character in S3 notwithstanding). PLEASE let them stop writing Oliver as unbelievably, unbearably dumb.

• Nat says:

I don’t think they’ll kill Captain Lance. I think that would be too much for the Lance family after Sara, even if she is coming back. It goes in the face of the lighter season 4 they want. Plus if we were going to kill characters for being major hypocrites, to be fair, Oliver wouldn’t have lasted season 3. However, I agree about Oliver’s writing. I miss season 1 Oliver … minus the indiscriminate killing. He had more of a sense of humor and seemed more practical (but maybe that’s the twisted haze of nostalgia playing tricks on me).

15. GildedRose says:

Looking forward to Felicity on Arrow next year and hoping that she’s not sidelined off to prop yet another spinoff character(s). I really disliked her being taken away from Oliver, Diggle, and the team in Season 3. They need to balance that this year. The Oliver/Felicity stuff, however, is looking super promising. Can’t wait!

• Lex says:

Break up the band and you get no music (or a replacement singer like Sammy Hagar – judge that however you will). Even if Diggle and Oliver need to be locked in a room until they deal with their “issues,” Original Team Arrow in the lair together is always a good thing.

16. Jeff hunter says:

THANK YOU Matt for answering the TITANS question!jeff

17. Adelaide says:

STEFAN AND CAROLINE YAAAAAAAAAAAAY

18. M says:

Matt is the only entertainment reporter I trust to cover OUAT accurately. He’s unbiased, picks good fan questions that stick to canon, and doesn’t bring any fandom stuff into the article. Why can’t other reporters be this amazing?

19. Arvin says:

Oh no Ronnie is gonna die right?

20. kath says:

I’m so excited to see that Felicity will have her own storyline this season on Arrow and even more that it’s one that won’t involve her crying again.

I hope you’re wrong, Matt, and that Oliver and Barry in suits isn’t for a funeral, specifically for Ronnie’s funeral so soon after his wedding to Caitlin (and leading her to become Killer Snow). On the other hand, there’s hope for Snowbarry shippers.

I’m not sure I’m going to like DarkEmma on OUaT but I’ll give it a chance.

21. Lily says:

Fan: *asks about Mulan and Robin’s relationship*
    TV Line: *answers everything but what this fan asked*

Seriously, I’d have loved to know the answer to this question, it was such a good twist to see her join the Merry Men, so I’d have loved to see this explored when she comes back… but of course, we’re talking about OUAT so… Continuity is not their thing. *rolleyes*

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hi! Yes, the reader asked about Mulan/Robin, and (alas) the EPs are revealing nothing, yet, about Mulan’s return/where she has been. I “tried,” as they say.

22. Cory says:

So excited for Sleepy Hollow, it sounds like this season is gonna be great.

23. Grace says:

Thank you for the H50 scoop, Matt! I really hope we get to see Steve and Danno take a bromantic trip to New Jersey. That would definitely make for a fun episode.

24. lorna says:

Eww there are Steroline fans? No chemistry.

25. A fan of TV says:

re: Fear…pretty sure the combination of Maddie having very few actual fears (I bet we find out that Artie wasn’t the first person she’s ever killed, for one thing…the Dad who never came home, perhaps?) and the fact that the military swooping in has really sheltered this neighbourhood from the endemic nature of the virus. They think people are being bussed to Barstow, and don’t yet fully understand how the virus spreads…they have no concept at all of the hordes to come, having seen only random walkers. Besides, I took Maddie leaving through the fence more as an act of defiance against feeling caged in and controlled by the military, and since she has no concept of hordes and managed to kill one on her own, she’s probably totally naive to the upcoming dangers, and at this point has more fear of the soldiers than the dead. Will that plane we saw crashing bring about a horde of dead passengers? I kind of hope they revisit that, since it was a great visual but we didn’t see where it went down…

26. Charlotte says:

I was hoping for FitzSimmons scoop on SHIELD, But I guess I’ll take anything. Interesting tidbit about the Secret Warriors! The 29th can’t come fast enough!

27. Angela says:

Excellent news regarding the season premiere of “Sleepy Hollow”! That sounds promising :). And yay for Jenny having a guaranteed way to stick around and help Abbie and Ichabod. I also look forward to seeing how Ichabod and Abbie reunite-I’m glad to hear they’ll still be close overall at the end of the day.

28. gloria 098 says:

YES CAPTAIN SWAN!!! i honestly didn’t think there would be CS scenes in the premier given the circumstances fortunately I WAS WRONG :D !!!!

29. DatDude says:

Sounds like another downward slide for the show formerly known as “Arrow”

Thankfully, we still have The Flash

30. kmw says:

Thanks for the BONES scoop. Hodgins going to get jealous, Cam and Arastoo having problems and then poor Booth!!! Very interesting start to their season

31. Kelly says:

I am looking forward to Felicity and Diggle stories this year. Glad Red and Mulan are back on OUAT. I wish Neal was back. Don’t care about ships but loved him and his story with Rumple and Henry.

32. Guest says:

With once: thank you for the updates! Can’t wait to see dark swan!
    With sleepy hollow: I just caught back up on last season. Didn’t know Abbie and Icobod would ever separate for a few months even with the death of Katrina and all the hell that followed that finale! Super excited for this coming storyline though!
    With Tvd: yeah I don’t like Damon calling Bonnie with bff. That title should rest on Alaric alone lol and I still hate Stefan and Caroline pairing up :/ I’ll never get over how klaus and Caroline were perfect together with regards to chemistry:( I know klaroline has been long dead since they started the originals but dang it still hurts my heart lol

33. Tai says:

It’s so great to hear all the news about Mulan and Ruby! Fingers crossed that for the second half we’ll get more awesome characters like Sidney Glass, Ella, and Archie! (Shame we’ll never see Jefferson again lol.) I REALLY hope that Mulan’s adventures have to do with the characters from the movies. Maybe one of the princesses she protected? [;-)]. I get it that Mulan is an OUAT version rather than the cartoon or legend (I think she is?); but the cartoon has a lot of great characters that it would still be fun to see! Like her grandmother for example.