Grey's Anatomy Recap

Grey's Anatomy Season 12 Premiere Recap: 'Everything Has Changed'

After Derek’s death, Calzona’s breakup and the demise of April and Jackson’s newborn — if not also their relationship — who wasn’t relieved when Shonda Rhimes said that the 12th season of Grey’s Anatomy would have a lighter tone than the 11th? But would she make good on her promise? That was the question as we went into the Kevin McKidd-directed premiere. And the answer? Read on, and then we’ll discuss.

FULL HOUSE | As “Sledgehammer” began, Mer voiceover’d that, just when things start to feel familiar, you realize that “everything has changed” — and that fast, we found out how right she was. At least as far as her home life went. Amelia was taking the titular tool to the wall of the house they now shared with Maggie. (Apparently, tequila had okayed the demolition job, not Mer. Been there!)

WELL, BULLY FOR YOU | The episode’s main medical plot involved two teenage lesbians rushed to the ER after being hit by a train. Aliyah and I “just wanted to be together, dead or alive,” Jessica revealed to Callie. Unsatisfied by that explanation – “alive” being the better option and all – Callie pressed for more information, and the girl admitted that her parents were sending her to a conversion camp. (Once we met them, hardly a shock.) Callie tried to hold her tongue around them but found that she just couldn’t. Those camps “are tantamount to child abuse,” she asserted. When that did no good, Callie called Child Protective Services, prompting Jessica’s mother to go on such a tear that Maggie – once a victim of bullying herself – lost it and slugged her. Later, the girls’ fathers bonded, and Jessica’s dad found the balls to stand up to his wife.

PUT UP YOUR DOCS | Meanwhile, the race for the chief of surgery position heated up, with Bailey inviting herself along on the tour of Grey Sloan that Catherine’s candidate, Tracy McConnell (Joey Lauren Adams), had arranged for Richard to give her. (Even though, as he pointed out, Bailey already knew where everything was.) Catherine argued that Richard and the hospital “need someone who will surprise us.” And boom! Tracy did just that, chiming in while Mer, Owen and Amelia operated on Aliyah to make a suggestion that saved her life — and inadvertently took the wind out of Bailey’s sails in the process. However, after a pep talk from Ben, she remembered that she was a force to be reckoned with, and made a presentation to the board — in the OR, no less! — that won over even Catherine. Hail to the chief!

HOME IS WHERE THE HEARTACHE IS | Considering the ultimatum that Jackson gave April before she shipped out, he wasn’t exactly hanging “Welcome Home” signs in anticipation of her return. But that didn’t stop everyone else from asking about the return party he wasn’t throwing her. Finally, as the hour drew to a close, April discovered Jackson crashing in an on-call room and told him she really wanted them to talk, stat. Clearly, she hadn’t given up on their marriage, right?

ON HER TAB | In other developments, Arizona found herself in need of a roommate. How about Stephanie? “Me live with you?” Edwards laughed. “God, no.” She didn’t even think that April would be interested. But why? Under duress, Stephanie confessed that Arizona was such a legend to the interns and residents that there were a million crazy stories going around about her. Finally, Andrew — ostracized by his fellow interns since his “memorable” start at Grey Sloan — asked if he could move in.

IN CLOSING | At the end of the episode, Alex opened up to Jo about his past as a bullied fat kid, Owen planted a kiss on Amelia, and Maggie interrupted said kiss to force Amelia and Mer to work through their s— (which seemed pretty easy, all things considered).

OK, opinion time! Jessica and Aliyah’s story notwithstanding, did Shonda lighten up enough for you? Grade the episode below and then hit the comments!

1. Butter says:

Didn’t watch

• Pamela says:

Same here. Tired of characters I like being killed off, just read the recaps now.

• Jake says:

So why comment ?

• Butter says:

Because I found myself being in a position to comment first but I had nothing to say because I couldn’t watch it.. Still grieving you know…

• Luli says:

Well your loss because it was a great episode.

I loved the Amelia/Meredith/Maggie dynamic, their scenes were hilarious. Callie rocked the episode. Arizona and Stephanie were hilarious. Not liking the idea of Arizona living with Deluca or the Japril thing, but everything else was great. The patients storyline was a powerful one, and I for one can’t wait for more episodes of this show!

Amazing kickoff to the new season.

• Marcie says:

It wasn’t that great. Just glad Bailey got her wish.

• The Sheppard Kids says:

Have we all forgotten about meredith’s THREE kids..?! Not once in the entire episode were they even mentioned. Amelia took a sledgehammer to the wall and I was half expecting Meredith to flip about waking the kids up but NOOOOO. Maybe Shonda decided to remove 3 more fan-favorites from the series…

• dlh says:

Smart move. worst show ever

2. Sarah says:

The weird music covers were sooooo distracting, I had a hard time paying attention in those scenes. I’ve always loved the music on Grey’s Anatomy, but the choices for this one were just bizarre.

• Kellie says:

Agreed! It was as if they picked any song on the pop music charts top 10 list.

• Emily says:

Agreed! The music was all sorts of wonky tonight with bad covers. Me no likey!

• abz says:

I came here to comment the exact same thing. They were so distracting throughout, particularly the Rihanna “Rude Boy” cover at the beginning. It was such a strange song choice. Totally took me out of the show.

• trainwreck says:

though using Miley’s Wrecking Ball in an episode named SledgeHammer.. So Meta!

• rowan77 says:

That’s not meta. That’s using the music to support the theme. Meta is self-referential, or referring to the conventions of your own genre.

• trainwreck says:

erm.. i was referring that in the actual video for Wrecking ball, Miley Cyrus licks a sledgehammer – which happens to be the name of this episode. Nothing to do with whether song was relevant to the scene/theme or not. No Sh## Sherlock!

• Marcie says:

Too true. I found “Wrecking Ball” too on the point for the girls hit by a train.

• mary says:

It’s interesting reading comments from one board, then going to another board & finding the exact opposite opinions. I usually have the volume low, so the music is never distracting.

• So true. Not only were the song choices themselves clunky and awkward but the covers were limp to the point of sleepy. ‘Fancy’ for the sisterly sledgehammering scene, just no. I’m old enough to wish that if they were going to be so unsubtle with the soundtrack they could have gone all out and included Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer, but I will simply be grateful that such a great and classic song was no subjected to the cover-versioning of doom.

3. Al says:

I really loved this epsiode
    So refreshed

4. Alisha says:

I absolutely love April & Jackson together & just really REALLY need them to NOT break up for good.. I get that its a drama & dramas love angst & yada yada yada.. But just for once can people on this show fight for marriage & actually survive it?

5. This is it.. says:

This show is a disaster…

• Jake says:

Gotta disagree , I thought this was really nice and fresh

• Benjamin says:

+1 It was all soo forced and PC.

• fiberlicious says:

That song – and Miley Cyrus – makes my skin crawl.

• Jamie says:

What was “PC” about this episode? That homophobes are assholes? That bullies need to be put in their place? I found it quite refreshing.

• Benjamin says:

The results of the plot are absurdly PC. No lawsuit for the punch ’cause the homophobes are wrong? (seriously… that kind of people NEVER let go that kind of offense and parenthood interference)… A convenient/sudden pro gay “change of heart”?… The homophobic wifezilla surrender that easily to her whipped husband?… meh… that’s BS.

I don’t have problems with the PC message.. just with the flat execution. This is a soup!… so what about some real drama? (GA haves done better.. so i expect more in a season premiere than just a flat PC related episode).

• Jamie says:

It was clearly established early in the episode that the wife was the only real homophobe and the husband was just going along with it because she was such a bully. In one of their first scenes, the wife was yelling at the husband for telling their daughter about the mom’s plan to have her sent to the de-gaying camp, and you only hear the husband speak when he’s talking about how much he loves his kid or asking questions for his wife.

It seems like he didn’t have a change of heart at all – he just finally stood up to the bully like Maggie did. And you don’t really see the mom have a change of heart either – in her last scene, she just seemed genuinely shocked that her husband fought back and threatened to run off with the kid.

Now the no lawsuit for the punch does seem a little odd, but again, the lady seemed so thrown by her husband calling her a bully and threatening her, that it isn’t that crazy.

• dlh says:

Not homophoic but these themes are so over played everywhere. Boring.

• Karen says:

Yes, I think so to! Here’s the problem I have with Shonda Rhimes! Sometimes parts of the storylines are just stupid! So, the first scene, why would Meredith, a doctor with 3 kid, share a house with roomies? Really? My favorite stupid scene. The doctors, who all have different specialties, suddenly have the knowledge to perform a face transplant! Does anyone remember that episode? Shonda, seriously, you need to get with the program (no pun intended)!

• fiberlicious says:

I found Aliyah’s father’s support of his daughter being a lesbian 100% ridiculous.

• the girl says:

I didn’t expect him to be so immediately supportive, but given that she could have died… I could see why that might affect his perspective.

• Mary says:

See I disagree, there are some parents who love and support their children no matter what. Some don’t care, few but some.

• tvjunkie says:

Considering father was from a Muslim country or at least that was implied, it really did seem completely unrealistic.

• A. says:

And yet, he’s a father who lost his wife and nearly lost his daughter, and has struggled to raise his family in the West. These are all factors that could make that very realistic. Trauma and loss absolutely change people, including those one assumes to be of other faiths.

• trainwreck says:

You would be surprised to know that quite a lot of Muslims are OK with their loved ones being LGBT. Not the majority opinion but it exists. And I also with the comment above that the extreme circumstances might have caused the change of heart

• mary says:

Why? Are you just going by stereotype, that every single person of that nationality will be the same. Some people actually do care more about their child’s happiness above all else.

• the girl says:

Amelia and Maggie are not “roommates” in that sense. They’re her sisters and she just lost her husband (Amelia’s brother). I think that her and Amelia are still grieving and as much as they are annoying each other, they equally need each other. And I’m sure Meredith can use the help with the kids.

• Felicia says:

In answer to your question, why would Meredith, a doctor with 3 children live with roomies….clearly you’ve never been a widow or a single parent….the fact is she isn’t living with just anyone she’s living with her sisters and it’s not easy raising children alone under the best of circumstances much less after losing your husband and working a high stress job. I would imagine it’s comforting for her to have them there and to have their help with the children.

• Yes! And Arizona needs a roommate? Stupid.

• mary says:

She has a mortgage to pay & medical school bills probably. Not all doctors are wealthy. Especially Arizona who does a lot of pro bono.

• abz says:

Not to mention she has a kid with Callie and wouldn’t undertaking a new specialty and doing her fellowship with Hermann also push her into further debt

• Pedro says:

She’s also a multi-millionaire that co-owns the hospital.

Very few surgeons couldn’t afford an apartment.

• mary says:

Well they are her sisters. And as was explained last season, she doesn’t want to be alone, yet she wanted to be back to a familiar setting.

• dlh says:

Agreed, end it alfready

• dlh says:

At total disaster. Not sure why I wasted an hour. Won’t happen again

6. Nathan says:

People just really need to stop being so negative about this show. I actually really enjoyed the premiere. They’re taking a lighter tone this season, so give this new season a shot before shooting it down. Otherwise, don’t watch.

7. shaw says:

People are horrible in this world if you didn’t watch it why come in here and comment you TROLLS need to get a life. That was a really good episode. And the crazy thing is it was about Bully and look what’s going on in here. Pathetic,no life having people…

• OhPlease says:

People saying negative things about the show may or may not be trolling, but it’s certainly not bullying. Bullying is when someone is a superior position uses either their influence or strength to intimidate someone in a weaker position. GA is in a much stronger position than fans who have been let down by the show. Criticism does not equal bullying.

• shaw says:

Negative criticism constantly is a form of bullying.

• Katie says:

LOL Uh, no, it’s not. Or else everyone on the planet would be guilty of being a bully. Grow up.

• Hill_billy-bob! says:

It’s a public forum for people to offer their opinion, sometimes opinions are positive and sometimes they are negative. Stop being so sensitive. You are what is wrong with the world these days. (That is being a bully)

• Butter says:

Bullying is what Shonda does to fans

• That’s rude. People are allowed to have opinions. I have watched every episode of this show and I am hoping that it turns around and becomes good again. GA is one of my overall favorite shows. But it needs to get rid of some of the silly stuff. The characters are now generic. You are right – the bully storyline was good. The house, Arizona’s roommate search, even Bailey’s run for chief were all done already in some way. We aren’t all ‘bullies’. We just want to save our show.

• mary says:

Ok after 12 seasons what exactly do you want? People complain when new characters are added. People complain when characters die or go away. Most shows that reach this amounts of seasons do tend to repeat in some way.

8. Kim says:

Why do they all need roommates so badly? These people are doctors. They make a decent living. Are they all just afraid to live alone?

• Martoukian says:

I would generally agree with you on that point, but they did at least make a nod toward answering that question in this case.

• mary says:

No, doctors have medical school to pay back & it takes awhile. A good friend of mine is still paying for it 10yrs later. Yes, she makes good money, but it goes to paying the bills back. As for Arizona, she has a mortgage & she does pro bono. Meredith’s situation was explained in the finale.

9. Jordan says:

Anyone else distracted that Tracy McConnell is also the mother on HIMYM?

10. Some chick says:

Shonda always promises a happier and lighter season. Then kills whoever has pissed her off the most in the season.

11. Dil says:

I really enjoyed it. Fresh and cheeky and light!
    Kind of an homage to the first couple seasons!

12. Concerned says:

Whats with everyone needing roomates? Its weird

13. S says:

Tracy McConnell is the name of the Mother from HIMYM…another parallel universe where she didn’t get her happy ending!

14. Tony says:

More “Shonda kills off too many characters” complaints when she hasn’t killed off that many main characters in comparison to how long the show has been on

15. rebecca says:

I enjoyed it. I am looking forward to Meredith without Derek.

16. Sarah says:

Where were Meredith’s kids?

17. abz says:

I didn’t hate it but it felt very preachy. All the personal sob stories felt inorganically told. That and the bizarre song cover choices made it feel like I was watching an episode of Glee.

18. abz says:

I like the fact that Deluca will be Arizona’s roommate. I know she’s his superior but I hope they become friends and he’s an intern that I wouldn’t mind seeing more. I want Arizona to have another friend. I loved watching her friendship develop with Hermann but clearly that’s over. Ever since Callie and Arizona broke up, I find myself like Arizona more and more. With each episode, it confirms to me that the best decision Shonda made for those two characters was breaking them up permanently.

19. abz says:

Ugh I know I commented this already, but the cover songs were SOOOOOOOO annoying!! They MUST stop!

20. L says:

Cannot understand a word that Joey Lauren Adams is saying. It really detracts from the show and the storyline. She speaks garble! Not enjoyable.

21. N says:

Turned it off

22. Paloma says:

I don’t want Amelia and Owen to be together. I see zero chemistry there. Otherwise excellent show.

• Emmy says:

Oh totally – At least Owen (can’t remember actor’s name) has enough chops to seem interested but Amelia’s acting choices make it seem like she thinks she was cast as “bratty teen know-it-all” on a totally different show. Growing Pains? Anyway, her plotlines are just so unconvincing!

23. Ulrich says:

That black girl does not look biracial, and it is annoying she was cast in that role. Yes, there are darker, ethnic looking biracials….hell, most still appear “black” to me, but she looks full blooded east African, and is darker and many Africans have better features than her. Then again, Marley, Frederick Douglas and Lenny Kravitz look black too and not “mixed”, so maybe that is where producers were going???

24. Bigdede says:

Meredith kids must be some hard sleepers for them not to wake up after Meredith and co was putting holes in walls.First, too many women. Second why do the bad guys on Grey’s have to be such evil mustache twirling villains? Why can’t we ever have a conflicted parent? This episode would have been better if the “evil” mom was conflicted about her daughter being gay and we wanted to send her to the camp because she felt she had no other choice. Then they were talking about bullies yet Maggie, a supposedly educated woman, punches a patient’s mom in the face and everyone high fives her? That was so immature. I work in a hospital and for some reason that really pissed me off. I’ve had to deal with patients calling me all kinds of names like colored, the n-word etc yet as an adult I’ve never felt compelled to want to hit them. Then Callie telling that patient she likes men and women. Nothing wrong with that but that girl was a patient!!! Be professional and call the psych doctor. And I’m suppose to believe Arizona is broke? Whatever. There’s no purpose for Owen to be around anymore. He’s no longer COS and him and Amelia sucks. Bye Owen. Bring on a new guy. May I suggest Rick Hearst. I really hope we get the old Bailey back. After she gave birth to Tuck, her character completely changed. Next week looks promising. Thank goodness they didn’t hire that one doctor. I have never liked that actress voice. Let her stay in the 90’s.

• fiberlicious says:

“his episode would have been better if the “evil” mom was conflicted about her daughter being gay and we wanted to send her to the camp because she felt she had no other choice.”

It would have been less uncomfortable for YOU. The answer to your question is that a ridiculous percentage of the population still thinks that sexual orientation is a choice and that it’s possible to pray the gay away. I commend Shonda for calling this bigotry what it is.

• fiberlicious says:

Replying to my own comment to add:

Call the psych doctor????? This is not a psych issue! There is NOTHING psychologically wrong with those girls!!!!

Shame on you.

• Rebecca says:

No, I have to agree on the psych consult- not that they should have been called in to counsel the girl on her sexuality but because she attempted suicide. I get that it was a character moment for Callie- relating to this girl because it reminded her of her own pain of coming out with her parents- but seriously, as an orthopedic surgeon, providing suicide counseling is not exactly in her realm of expertise. Alas, it’s TV and TV doesn’t work like real life. (Case in point: Maggie punches a patient in front of multiple witnesses and isn’t reprimanded in any way shape or form!)

• Bigdede says:

The girls tried to kill themselves moron so a available psych doctor should have been called. You think they were standing in front of that train for fun?

• Bigdede says:

Why would it be less comfortable for me? I don’t recall ever meeting you for you to tell me what I would find comfortable. For the sake of drama I would’ve liked seeing the mother more conflicted. This show is a drama right?

• mary says:

People, not all doctors are filthy rich!!! Do you have idea how much medical school costs? It takes years to pay them off. Plus it was mentioned Arizona’s pro bono work means she doesn’t exactly get paid for those operations.

• Bigdede says:

Arizona has been in charge of peds for years. The hospital pays for the pro bono work. She gets paid a salary. Arizona isn’t a new doctor with student loans. Also she paid off her student loans. She mentioned that when she first started. I understand Grey’s want to integrate the new interns but they should go about it another way.

• + multi million dollar compensation settlement from the plane crash of multiple deaths and drama. Honestly, just have her say she doesn’t like living alone rather than implying medical specialists who head up their departments can’t cover their rent. Beyond absurd.

• Amy says:

Meredith was the voice of calm and didn’t high five Maggie. She said, “there is a right way and a wrong way to conduct ourselves.” The lack of professionalism on Grey’s has always been an issue. Sometimes the writers go into seriously bad reality TV and the punch was a case in point.

25. Mike Henigan says:

Loved the episode, and OMG that punch, I laughed!

26. EM says:

Enjoyed the lighter tone especially with Mer, Amy and Maggie. An episode about bullying and a doctor punches a parent of a patient? Am I the only one that feels Bailey doesn’t deserve being chief? I didn’t care for her competition but wish they had brought in someone else to mix things up more.

27. Pam says:

Did anyone else notice that Deluca bears a remarkable resemblance to Mark Sloane?

• Oh my god YES!
      I was scrolling down all the comments to see if anyone had noticed that. Finally found someone who did!
      Yes! He does resemble Mark and I must confess…it was a bit distracting.

28. Sophia says:

I missed Derek. The episode was nice and all but still I kept thinking he was going to show up. The very first scene when they were opening the fridge doors…and McDreamy’s pics on the door…my heart just stopped for a moment. I don’t know if anyone noticed that …but it was such a beautiful moment for me

29. Erin B says:

Maybe since McDreamy was in DC so much last season I got used to him not being in many scenes because I did not miss him. It didn’t really feel like a season premiere though. That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy it, but it was more like a throwaway episode to me.

30. Larc says:

Sorry, but I thought the new season kickoff was a little weak. Meredith’s new living situation seems forced. And where were her kids? Unless I somehow missed it, no sign or even mention of them at all.

• the girl says:

There were toys and children’s things strewn around the house during the opening scenes. There was at least an acknowledgement that they exist, even though we didn’t see any of them.

• Amy says:

The actress who plays Zola was booked for two episodes coming up. We rarely see Tuck or Sophia. I don’t need to see the kids in every episode.

31. Yoko says:

Satisfying beginning to the season. If you don’t watch the show…move on trolls and post somewhere else. No one cares if you are “OVER” Grey’s.

32. Kristi says:

Why did the woman attack Maggie not Callie ? It was Callie who confronted her about the camp and called the child protective services, yet she walked straight past her to Maggie. Maggie didn’t have anything to do with the mother or did i miss something?

• Lily says:

Because earlier she didn’t think Maggie was a doctor, and because she perceived Maggie as the weakest, therefore easiest to bully? That’s my guess.

33. Allison says:

The only thing I didn’t like is that Bailey is now Chief. I don’t get it. Bailey is ill tempered and loud and rude 95% of the time. I like the other candidate better. However, Bailey did make a valid point in her speech and that was that the other lady would soon grow tired of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital and would then move on to the next challenge. Yes, I get that Bailey loves that hospital and the people there, but she is no chief. Sorry. Just my opinion. The one good thing about Bailey being chief is that hilarity is sure to ensue!

34. Allie says:

I liked the episode overall. I thought they missed an opportunity to have a minor plot line between Arizona and the Katherine’s candidate for chief… I mean she didn’t have to be from Hopkins. The show really does feel fresh, even with a heavy medical case.

35. Alia says:

No Derek, No Grey’s. Who is going to die this season?, Alex, Jackson or April (ohhh! wait Shonda just killed their baby), Richard, maybe Owen, Amelia, Callie, Arizona?????, nobody is safe.

• Mary says:

Funny I thought it was called Grey’s because of Mer not Derek. I guess you don’t need to waste your time commenting because you obviously won’t be watching.

36. Bark Star says:

“This place is the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs” … brilliant ! The only thing more enjoyable than the episode are the people who complain about a character being killed. Go watch Sesame Street.

37. Jessica says:

2 words “Girl Power”….What a great episode and I love that women are now running that hospital. I like seeing Mer from underneath Derek’s shadow…..Feels lighter with the women dominating the show…and Bailey getting chief…icing on the cake…

38. Drew says:

That whole episode was like a sledgehammer. No nuance. No reality. The villain of the piece was ugly and hateful and the heroes were nothing but awesome. It was stupid.
    First of all, why have a Muslim father to one of those girls if you’re not going to explore that culture?
    Why make the mother a evil, rather than have a genuinely conflicted character?
    The answer is simple. It is because the writers wanted to punch a homophobe, so they created their version of one. It was juvenile, the way they handled it. It was wish fulfillment, not good writing.
    I’m not even saying that they should portray their characters as less hateful toward this woman, but exploring the idea that people can genuinely have different beliefs for all kinds of reasons… That is the meat of writing. That is drama. Only hacks avoid that.

• mary says:

They only have 45 minutes is why. How much of the culture do you want them to explore? Unless you wanted this situation to last longer than 1 episode, there’s only so much they can write in. And conflicted? Some people tend to be 1 way or the other about this subject. I think the conflict came with the father/husband. Which was nice since that actor usually plays the jerk/creep.

• Drew says:

It was just poorly handled. The writers closed their eyes and imagined what a homophobe should look and sound like, and they came up with an entitled, rich, white, blond Christian. That’s subtle. And they completely avoided going there with the Muslim because they didn’t want to offend Muslims. Weird, right?
        If a story can’t be done properly, don’t do it. The way it was handled here was stupid, and having fully grown-@$$ doctors high-fiving each other because one of them punched a homophobe made them all look insane.
        If they didn’t have time to do this exact story, they should have dropped the Muslim characters, because they were red flashing lights of plotholes. Then they could have cut the stupid wall thing… Maybe cut some of the poorly written bully monologues. The roommate search could be put off for a while too.
        There was plenty of time to do it right. They didn’t want to.

39. I can’t stand Amelia. I have to fast forward every scene she is in. She has got to be the most annoying character on TV. The whole riff with Meredith was tedious and old. Didn’t we see that stuff with George and Izzie? Same with Arizona. Her character just fills time with no purpose. GA desperately needs some new writers and some new relationships. I miss Meredith/Derek and Christina/Burke. They had chemistry. I miss the old Bailey. The one with the snappy comebacks.

• mary says:

Wait, wait, wait. You want some new relationships, yet you miss the old ones? And it looks like they might return the Nazi to Bailey next week. That’s why they made her chief.

• she says:

I miss the old Grey’s. I don’t root for any of the current relationships, the only one I really care about broke up (Calzona). I want Christina Yang back!!

40. sandy bailey says:

most of the show is not true to the medical profession – no one talks like that -such disrespect- and the smack face – would have been an assault charge and lost job for sure – so much teenage yakkity yak – these people are professionals -do the profession proud – I was disgusted with the whole show – grey’s has slipped into not worth watching territory -too bad once was the best – scandal has taken that position now

• mary says:

People use to complain about Chicago Hope & ER. Thing is I never considered this to be so much a medical show as a show about the LIVES of interns/doctors. In other words less medical jargon than on primarily medical shows. So how real it is according to the profession…it’s never been there.

41. Betty says:

I loved the show but do not enjoy loud music I much prefer hearing what they are saying,just my two cents worth. lol

42. Mal says:

So tired of people not being allowed to have morales anymore tired of every show I like completely turning to the gay community bring back good wholesome family shows

• abz says:

Yes, because allowing certain people to see characters more like themselves in a medium dominated by heterosexuality is such a terrible thing, right? Grow up! Seems like you’re the only one lacking morals here. The episode was far from well written or well done for my tastes, but it did bring to light some very important issues that many people still face today–being bullied for various reasons, and yes among those reasons included being bullied for one’s sexuality.
      And shows are finally devoting more meaningful time to gay characters and their stories and making them more three dimensional and different, rather than just as side characters or full-blown stereotypes. Either accept that television is becoming more diverse and is progressing in a world still full of hate or go watch reruns of Sesame Street. And since when has Grey’s Anatomy ever been a wholesome family show?

• Drew says:

You say that diversity is a good thing, but there was no diversity here. Everyone was the same, believed the same, and acted the same. The one person who was different was a completely mental evil person that everyone else could bully without feeling bad. Stereotypes are bad? Then why isn’t everyone upset that this episode was all about reinforcing stereotypes?

• abz says:

I’m confused. Did you want to see them portray someone who has a different opinion (i.e. negative) on the topic of homosexuality and have them actually be respected for it? Did you expect to see one of the doctors disagreeing with the others and actually supporting that mother’s decision to send her daughter away to the camp? That probably wouldn’t happen. These people are medical professionals who see and treat patients from all walks of life. They have LGBT friends (i.e., Callie, Arizona). Most of them are practically family and have worked together for years and support each other. They are probably fully aware of the dangers of those conversion therapy camps. Of course they’d be against that mother. They were definitely unprofessional in their dealings with the mother, but that’s a different debate, in which I think most would agree that they handled it very poorly and in real life Maggie would probably have lost her job or be put on suspension.
          Maybe they should have shown another side to the situation like with the widower father. Part of me did find his immediate acceptance a bit unrealistic given the culture/background they implied he was from, but then again he lost his wife and his daughter had almost died, and maybe they wanted to portray how parental love and acceptance should be unconditional and that’s why they chose that route. In the end though, the episode overall was pretty weak and poorly written to me even though the underlying intentions seemed good. Besides, this is basically a primetime soap by Shonda Rhimes (who is very pro-LGBT) so of course they went with an extreme version of someone against homosexuality. It’s not really shocking, everything is extreme on this show.

• Drew says:

They don’t have to agree with or support the camps. But most people, even when their religious beliefs don’t allow homosexuality, aren’t angry balls of hatred. The woman barely cared that he daughter almost died. She was a completely cartoonish representation of someone whose religion would conflict with homosexuality. Part of writing is being able to represent a viewpoint that you don’t necessarily agree with and to make those characters read as human despite their beliefs.
            The writers went out of their way not to offend Muslims, yet felt no desire to spare Christians.

43. Sassy says:

I found the episode disappointing in that there was no reference to Meredith’s being a single mother, the presence of her three children, or a reference to Derek. Perhaps a passing photo in the bedroom? Mention of picking up the kids at day care? Instead the writers give the new-everything is different – Meredith references to her old ways of drinking too much tequila and allowing her roomies to tear down a wall. Are we in a college dorm? Meredith’s intern class might have tried doing this 11 years ago, but recently widowed Meredith?
    And as far as Ellen Pompeo’s wanting to be alone on the poster, why? For 11 seasons she had the luxury and good fortune of being part of one of the best relationships on television! Why is she so quick to toss that fortuitous memory overboard from the ferry boat? Patrick Dempsey was a gentleman and said it was magic working with her. Ellen seems a bit callous. I just hope her story lines are stronger than last night’s and more in line with what she represents…a working mother of three kids. Ditch the tequila, Dr. Grey. Even Dr. Bailey mentions her son every once in awhile and we are reminded that she is a woman, a mother, AND a doctor.

• EM says:

There were multiple references to Derek. They just didn’t smack you over the head like the majority of the episode. When Mer leaves her room the spinal drawing he drew is propped up against the wall. Her tirade was about him. “I’m used to living with someone that knows me and won’t change the channel during the commercial. Someone who knows not to punch a hole in my living room wall. I can’t find my own clothes in my own house.” Multiple pics of him on the fridge and she’s wearing his ferry boat scrub cap. No one’s kids show up in every episode or are even talked about in every episode. She dodged a hallway full of toys to get downstairs and it sounded like Amy was doing all the laundry and dishes to help out the single mom.

44. Pat says:

I thought it was pretty good but one thing bothered me. WHERE THE HECK WERE THE KIDS, MEREDITH????

45. Mary says:

One of the worst premiere’s ever for this show. You want to have a show on social issues, throw them in mid season. We get the whole religious/gay weird parenting thing w/bad acting by the guest stars, or just really bizarre writing? Or both? Plus, the bullying topic all in one show. I”m not against any of them being points of focus for a show, but it just didn’t ring premiere material, and was very oddly done. We all know the doctors love to play therapists, but it just went way out there this time, almost jumped the shark. I get Grey’s has never exactly been close to reality but a doctor punches a patients mother & it’s not even taken seriously? I don’t care what kind of a terrible person she is, it just all seemed strange. It felt like a bad lifetime movie. Really disappointed. I guess my favorite part was Baily being chosen as chief, although that too felt a little strange. Everyone knows shes bad ass, but she gives one speech & everyone acts like it’s the first time they realize who she is. Whole episode felt very off to me. I had high hopes for this season, but this was a shadow of the show it used to be.

46. Mary says:

Also, normally I feel like I’m watching a show about the characters..but the patients stories help push along whatever is going on with them at the time. I just felt like I was watching a show about the patients. Yea, this was just a VERY bizarre premiere from everything to the writing, the acting in some cases to the music. I have no idea what happened here, but I seriously hope it gets better. It was a mess.

47. Melissa says:

Not sure how I feel about the episode but I loved the directorial work. That every scene was shot from the perspective of the character or characters who were its emotional centre was really interesting. I particularly liked how Miranda got smaller and smaller in the shots as the tour of the hospital with her rival went along. I think perspective as a theme also explains the music choices that were made. Wrecking Ball and Rude Boy were contemporary to the young girls and so supported their story.

48. Amy B says:

One, where were the kids? You’d think the sledgehammer would be load enough to wake them up, or cause one to cry.
    Two, anyone notice that Jackson was still wearing his ring? Perhaps a sign there’s some hope. How long would she have been gone now?

49. dlh says:

What a waste of time. Boring. Boring.. Just cancel it already.

50. 75012 says:

Honestly I am a bit disappointed, I’m a huge Grey’s Anatomy fan, I’ve been watching the show since day one…but I felt this premiere lacked in something…I don’t know, and I’m not thinking about McDreamy’s void, but I feel like most of the characters are…out of characters!! The part I enjoyed the most was Bailey’s speech, that was the best part…and it felt like old days Bailey and I’m pretty curious about her being chief finally. I liked also when Callie talked to the mother, even if it was out of line, generally I really liked Callie in this episode. I’m open to a lighter tone this season, but I didn’t feel like this really happened. I’m curious also about Japril. I love Grey’s Anatomy, I’m attached to the characters and I want to see how they are going to evolve but I was expecting something more for a premiere.