Big Bang Theory Premiere Recap: Makin' Up Is Hard to Do

At the close of The Big Bang Theory‘s Season 9 premiere, Leonard and Penny, as well as Sheldon and Amy, were on uncertain terms.

In “The Matrimonial Momentum,” Leonard and Penny’s wedded bliss was quickly halted once Penny learned her husband worked alongside the woman with whom he once “cheated.” Meanwhile, Amy officially called it quits with Shelly after one too many insensitive comments, forcing him to phone his devout Christian mother (returning guest star Laurie Metcalf) and ask that she remove Amy from her prayers!

Let’s break down the big moments from Monday’s opener:

After a call with Leonard confirming the uncertain status of his relationship with Amy, Sheldon wandered over to his maybe-girlfriend’s apartment, having already given her 11 hours — or the equivalent of The Lord of the Rings trilogy — to think about the questions she posed during their season-ending Skype chat. And though he wasn’t invited to attend Leonard and Penny’s streaming nuptials at Howard and Bernadette’s, he tagged along anyway, alledging that he and Amy would make the experience awkward one way or another regardless of where they stand. Unfortunately, it didn’t take long for the supposed genius to wreck things once and for all, telling the woman he loves to “think faster” about their relationship, as “those eggs she’s toting have a sell-by date.” It wasn’t only the final nail in the Shamy coffin (for now), but it was the interruption that plagued the entire gang to miss Leonard and Penny’s “I Do’s.”

Back in Las Vegas, things couldn’t have gotten any worse following Penny’s Toy Story vows. After carrying the new Mrs. Hofstadter over the threshold of their hotel room — BTW, we’re never learning Penny’s maiden name, right? — their second kiss as newlyweds was interrupted by Penny’s thoughts about that other woman, Mandy Chow. Leonard certainly didn’t help matters by revealing he still worked with her at CalTech, a fact he conveniently left out when he made his confession on their way to elope. As a result, the two returned to Pasadena, where Leonard spent his wedding night with Sheldon. Meanwhile, Sheldon and Penny might not be on speaking terms now that he’s learned that Penny spoke to Amy before their breakup, never alerting Sheldon that his girlfriend was having doubts.

Though tonight’s premiere had a slightly more melodramatic vibe than we’re used to from Big Bang, we can’t help but wonder what it’ll be like to watch Sheldon explore the complexities of his first breakup, especially after our very own Michael Ausiello’s Emmy chat with Mayim Bialik. The same can’t be said for Leonard and Penny’s ongoing strife. Those two need to get their subatomic particles together ASAP so the writers can spend more time dedicated to the peculiar pair of Raj and Emily; the new couple’s season-ending “I love you” was not addressed at any point in tonight’s half-hour.

But enough about what we thought: What did you think of tonight’s relationship-heavy premiere? Grade the episode in our poll, then sound off with a comment below!

1. Sandy says:

I was expecting this to be much
    Better so disappointed in the wedding

• Stacie says:

My only hope is that they do another wedding, with their friends in actual attendance. And they show them kiss and exchange rings. After 9 years this was incredibly disappointing. I know there was a lot going on with Sheldon, and I know they threw in the subplot of Leonard kissing someone else, but this was like being half pregnant. Either get married for real and give the fans something we have waited for, or don’t get married, work through your issues then get married at a later date. This way it had them get married, but have issues. No fan of BBT wants that, even if we wanted Penny and Leonard to get married. Big Bang Theory hasn’t been laugh out loud funny in years, but as a loyal viewer I will stick by it because of it’s heart, this episode showed no heart. I hope I am not seeing a How I Met Your Mother redux. Many many years, and ultimately dissapointed in the end. Hopefully the show rebounds next week.

• M.J. Mac says:

I’m afraid the lazy writing may have caused Big Bang to Jump the Shark!

2. Mike Q says:

The only reason to watch this show any more is Howard and Bernadette. The two of them are brilliant. Everyone else, not so much.

Next season really needs to be the end.

3. James D says:

up until the last five minutes or so I thought it was the funniest episode i’ve seen in a long time. last season had it’s moments but as a whole i thought it was one of the weaker seasons. I hope the Penny and Leonard strife is wrapped up quickly it’s been long enough with those two either have them together or not but the constant back and forth is boring and old. I also hope they have a legit wedding before the end of the show preferably this season. Glad Amy finally dropped the hammer on Sheldon should be very funny to see him navigate the fallout.

• Mario D. says:

Agree wholeheartedly. After 9 yrs and incessant hype and promos for the season premiere, they could have done a better job with the wedding Hopefully, the writers will rectify this latest disagreement as it is getting a little boring to watch. A formal wedding would certainly appease most fans and let this couple move on with lives. I am sure there are alot of comedic adventures within the marriage especially with Sheldon still in the picture

4. Rosemary says:

I was really disappointed in tonight’s show. It was boring. And 80% of the 30 minutes were commercials…sad face.

• abz says:

I’m finding most CBS comedies have become like that. Particularly Chuck Lorre shows. Running time is like around 17-18 minutes for all his show (TBBT, Mom, and Mike & Molly). They waste like 2 minutes each episode recapping the previous week’s episode and the rest commercials.

• It was kind of a slap in the face tonight. Nothing really happened. I can’t believe they wasted a Laurie Metcalf cameo on this.

• abz says:

I know! You don’t bring on Laurie Metcalf’s character for just a cameo. She should always get a full episode.
          The wedding was so lame. I’ve always enjoyed Penny, but she never looks like she’s truly happy with Leonard. Leonard is head over heels for her, but every time I see Penny with him, I think she genuinely cares for him, but feels as if she’s settling and giving up. If they’re trying to sell the two of them as a couple, either they’re not doing a great job with the writing or Kaley Cuoco is not doing a good job at expressing genuine interest in her relationship with Leonard

• Nicole says:

Well, no offense to her fans but I think it’s because she’s not a very good actress. I’m sure some think she is but she does nothing for me in anything I’ve seen her in.

• M.J. Mac says:

So true. Penny and Leonard don’t seem in love at all! Jealousy isn’t love! There’s no kindness or sweetness between them. They need to show a sweet side to this couple. Fighting with each other gets old and tiring! Can’t these writers think of funny life experiences that don’t include fighting?

• Ari says:

I really liked the Metcalf cameo. Laurie Metcalf is such a comedic talent but I loved that she didn’t really crack many jokes. It was just a sweet moment between mother and son. If this was the only time they ever had her on then I’d be pretty upset. Over the years they’ve been able to work with her schedule to incorporate her character consistently so I’m sure she’ll get a bigger arc in an episode later in the season.

• Christian says:

They’ve screwed up Metcalf’s appearances in the last couple of years … her much-anticipated show with Christine Baranski last year was poorly done. The writers just seem to have lost a grasp of their characters. They finally brought Raj’s father onto the show to interact with the other characters and gave him one or two flimsy lines while he sat in the background of a very disappointing Thanksgiving episode.

• Stacy says:

Also, it was a terrible recap. It gave almost no understanding of why Sheldon and Amy broke up.

• I totally agree with you.

• Wendy says:

I agree. Big show, but my attention was focused on fast forwarding through endless commercials. There was never a big enough chunk of show to settle into. If there’s going to be so many commercials at least group them together more, not every few minutes. I feel for the writers, it’s almost impossible to hold attention writing for 4-5 min. Time spans.

5. Brian Barnes says:

Total fail. They spent all this time building the characters relationships and trashed the whole thing in 10 minutes ( that’s minus the endless commercials and promotions for other CBS shows). The actors didn’t even look like they were buying into the shift. Bad dialogue. Stuart has had his run and needs to go. Nothing funny about his character anymore. Just annoying.

6. That may have been the worst wedding in tv history.

There are tv weddings where the couple doesn’t get married that were better than this.

7. Lauren says:

Boo! I don’t want to see them get married if they’re going to fight the whole time. They better not drag out this conflict.

8. Larry says:

Sheldon’s actions were way out of character even for him. The stess between Penny and Leonard was anticlimatic and depressing

• abz says:

Agreed. The whole time I was thinking that Sheldon’s behaviour was way too progressive for the character. It was just very strange and out of character

• Sheldon hates change. Him having a negative reaction to change is perfectly in character. The only difference from season 1 is the reaction is more emotional than logical, which is called character growth.

• abz says:

Yes, I understand that, but it just felt strange because Sheldon’s growth has been snail-like over the past 8 seasons. To all of a sudden make him so emotional in one episode felt a bit out of character. This just felt like it was way more progressive than where his character would actually be at the moment. Like the fact that he was the one who kept pushing the issue of the breakup every other minute and the way he was saying how Amy cut him deep and all that. I don’t know it just felt a little odd. Sheldon would definitely be affected by idea of Amy being out of his life, and it would continue to bother him, but I don’t think his character is at the point where he would be so active and his reactions would be so emotional to the extent that they were in this episode.

9. Bob says:

I can’t believe they made such a terrible wedding. 9 years and we get the equivalent of a McDonald’s worthy episode. Why ruin a show?

10. Stacy says:

I was bored and underwhelmed. Granted, it’s the first ep of the season and I understand they’re setting up plotlines. I think the most “ugh” part for me was none of the friends paying attention to the wedding. Really, Bernadette wouldn’t have started barking orders to stand down for 5 minutes? Who goes through with a wedding when one fiance can’t even smile at the other?

And could Kunal’s Raj have been used any less in an episode??

• I think Stuart had more lines than Raj.

• abz says:

They really should get rid of Stuart. He’s good in small doses, but the constant woe is me jokes will get old.

• Stacy says:

Agreed. I like Stuart, but not at the expense of Raj.

• Lyn says:

Yeah. Stuart is Eyore and Raj is Tigger. I wish Emily had been there. I’m also sick of Amy being all about herself { “I can’t catch the bouquet from here” }. Just as she was about being Bernadette’s maid of honor. Could they have Amy run off with Stuart? That would work for me.

• AngieD says:

UMM.. Bernadette wasn’t barking orders during the vows, she left to console Amy. Sheldon’s the one who initiated the distracting drama by demanding a status from Amy.

• Stacy says:

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying I could envision Bernadette barking orders at Sheldon and the group to pipe down and save their arguments for 5-10 minutes as their friends got married. And I meant that imaginary action as a positive thing! :)

11. BarryFlash says:

I didn’t like the season 8 finale and didn’t like the season 9 premiere. The whole “Leonard kissing another woman” was a bad idea by the writers.

• It’s a total “let’s insert fake drama” storyline. Sadly typical of a sitcom in its ninth season, and I hoped for better from this show. No idiot, much less a genius like Leonard, would bring up a two-year-old complete non-issue on the way to his wedding.

• Stacy says:

Yep. Exactly. And if he was going to bring it up, wouldn’t it be during some argument where Leonard wants to prove to Penny that she’s not the only gorgeous girl that wants him? Or mention that this other girl is also incredibly intelligent? Yeah. Not buying it.

• Colette says:

I totally agree with all. I mean, Leonard is supposed to love Penny more than anything in the world. But this thing of him kissing another woman is actually a little bit confusing and it makes me wonder: “Does he really love Penny?” And I hate to think that because before I would say: “Of course he does”, but now I’m not sure anymore. Besides, it was completly out of nowhere! Didn’t make sense at all. And not believable for the kind of character Leonard is…

12. Chris says:

The Sheldon-Amy relationship is frustrating. I don’t know why she’s been putting up with him for so many years when he is so self-absorbed and behaves in such an erratic manner. It’s hard to believe that someone as intelligent as Amy would stay with se

• tyranthraxus says:

Remember she had found nobody else in the entire time she had been on that matchmaking website. Nobody. So her getting Sheldon was like the lottery for her. To be honest, Sheldon before Amy was a lot better than Sheldon WITH Amy. Amy is a great character but Im just not sure on this show. We went from an ensemble of 5 to a cast of 7 + Stuart.

• Mo says:

Amy was on the online dating site because of a deal with her mother though, not because she wanted to find a boyfriend. The problem is that they changed her from a female Sheldon, where their relationship worked in their own quirky way, into a regular girl who wants romance and stuff and so they are forcing Sheldon to conform to that idea of romance. That’s when it all went to hell. Nothing wrong with growing them or even getting them to fall for each other, but they could have done it in a more original way that this. They still have some moments because the actors are talented and the writers can pull off some very funny and touching moments, but for the most part they’ve turned them into just another sitcom cliche. Now even more so with this breakup. They’re going to turn into the new Ross/Rachel, Leonard/Penny on/off/on-again cliche. It’s a shame, they could have been something different.

• tyranthraxus says:

I actually like the Raj/Emily Dynamic more. You kinda feel that in the last couple of years of the show we are gonna see Howard/Bernadette start a family, Sheldon trying to stay the same but the show not letting him and Im not sure how Penny/Leonard go.

Raj.. well Raj is strange case. Im finding it harder and harder to find much of anything he did at all in Season 8.. hell even season 7 was light. Its almost like they dont know what to do with him.

My Theory with Chuck Lorre shows is that the first 4-5 years of shows he makes are the best. Hes got ideas, the characters arnt entirely settled.

However after that time we know who the characters are and the show has to inject mystery by using 3rd parties which can get frustrating. Its the settling of the characters which is the issue.

• Christian says:

They lost direction of Raj when they veered off from the gay angle. I know they were going for the running metrosexual gag, but it actually made a lot of sense; Stuart has been the only one Raj had true chemistry with. And it has been kind of homophobic that they portray these comic book guys as inherently straight; lots of comic book fans are gay. But I find Chuck Lorre’s sitcoms very homophobic – they all use the gay issue as just a tired joke.

13. Sandy says:

I am just sad. I did not watch last season. I saw a comercial for this season premier and thought I would give it a go. The wedding was awful. Unless Penny ends up 3 months pregnant I don’t understand why she married him . She looked so bored. The Sheldon /Amy breakup plot might work if the writers watch some episodes from the first four seasons and find that magic again. The show seems tired and it makes me sad.

• Penny gave up a long time ago. This is just her continuing to settle for what is safe and comfortable.

• tyranthraxus says:

I still think they lost Penny a bit after she ‘slept’ with Raj. For me thats when the show kinda went off a little. I actually think that pairing could of been a lot of fun, I would of actually moved Leonard onto Amy and keep Sheldon single. Its his default, its what he should be. They forced a relationship of sorts onto the character and it just didnt work.

14. Anonymous says:

Very disappointing. The writers are trying to make TBBT into too much of a soap opera. Give us more comedy, please!

• Christian says:

I agree … too soapy like what FRIENDS became. Watching the earlier seasons, you see a brilliant show about character studies. Now it’s just Days of our Lives. Is the fanbase of BBT predominantly female? After being continually disappointed by that awful last season, I gave the show a try again and have been disappointed by what I’ve seen. Probably just going to shelve the show.

15. abz says:

I still enjoy the show from time to time, but this was a disappointment. The show really has turned into a bunch of endless relationship drama. It’s becoming like Friends and the Ross/Rachel drama was probably the worst part of the show for me. This whole thing with Leonard kissing that woman and having it drive a wedge was so stupid and unnecessary. And the wedding was lame too. I don’t mind the romantic relationships on the show as they can be very funny and entertaining, but I feel like its just become all of what the show is about. I want it to be balanced out with the magic of the early seasons. They should probably just drop the Theory and just call the show The Big Bang.

• Colette says:

I agree with you. Before, they would talk about things like comic books, games, science. Now it’s all about relationships, and I can wach any other sitcom to see relationships..

16. TaMara says:

That was really a solid “D” season opener. Are the actors bored or what? The writers weren’t even really trying. I love Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, but she was un-watchable. She looked bored with every scene.

17. My four takes from this episode:

1) It was a very depressing episode where their overuse of the laugh signal to the audience was definitely uncalled for. If they wanted to make a serious episode, that’s their right, but don’t try to do up the comedic relief every two lines, it wasn’t working.

2) Stuart’s character has taken a turn for the worse, in this episode, he was a total creeper, not the innocent, though depressed goofball we’re used to. He was one of my favorites for his short stints and has one of those characters that makes you want more but when you get more, it’s worse (like Night at the Roxbury!).

3) Where was Emily?

4) What was up with Penny’s hair?! It was short (and completely different from the car ride to Vegas) and when she got back to her apartment less than a day later, while talking to Sheldon over her hot-upset-beverage, her hair was a different color and it was very obviously long, though in a bun.

• K. B says:

I couldn’t keep my eyes off of Penny’s hair. That was a wig. I could even see the bobby pins!! It was a total distraction.

18. Cobra says:

Sheldon’s quirks used to be interesting and funny. Tonight they were just annoying.

• Cobra, Sheldon’s quirks stopped being funny and just started being beyond annoying to me about three or four seasons ago, which is sad considering the fact that Sheldon was one of the things that got me hooked on the show when I started watching The Big Bang Theory way back during season 2. Now Sheldon is my least favorite thing about the show. That being said, I thought that that season premiere was incredibly disappointing in a lot of ways. I gave it a C.

19. Bella says:

This would have been a disappointing regular episode let alone the season premier. Stuart’s creepiness, the letdown of the wedding and the fight afterward. The whole thing sucked. The only two times I thought yay were the wedding vows and Mary Cooper.

20. Mr. Tran K says:

I give it a C but the Sheldon/Amy story line was a disappointment from beginning to end and I’m not happy how the season started. Season 9 is about to go from bad to worse.

21. Ron says:

Really disappointing ! Nine years of struggle for this wedding ?we all specially the characters deserves better ,bad writing and direction all across this episode.anyone of the fans would have written it better.

22. Jerry Smith says:

I liked the show when it was a comedy but now they’re trying too hard to make the characters grow. A serious episode once or twice a season is enough. I remember when I was a kid and they did this to shows like Cheers with the whole Sam and Diane thing. The only really funny bits in the last season or so was in the Sheldon and Amy relationship and now they’ve ended that.

23. JB Smooove says:

HIMYM all over again. writers have lost all creativity.

24. Red Snapper says:

I thought it was just okay. I wasn’t upset by the wedding like others, some people just want something simple. Their wedding seemed to fit them. What bothered me was the introduction of this girl Leonard made out with. I knew how this was going to play out after last season ended. I figured they’d get married and then Penny would have some issues with it. They’ve played the back and forth with them so much that I’m not all that interested in their relationship anymore. I hope this story line doesn’t go on for too long. Also, I’m a little heartbroken for Sheldon. I’m more invested in his and Amy’s relationship. I’m curious to see the reactions of the group when they find out he got her a ring

• abz says:

I don’t think the issue was so much the simplicity of the wedding as it was the overall negative energy and feel of it. Like you said, the stupid plot about the girl Leonard kissed was just annoying and unnecessary. Plus, I don’t know if Kaley Cuoco is just bored and phoning it in, but sometimes it feels to me like there is no more life in the Penny character which kinda sucks because Penny is one of my favourites.
      I think if they wanted to do a simple wedding that’s fine, but they shouldn’t have done this Leonard kissing another girl storyline and at least made it another Vegas roadtrip with everyone being able to attend.

• tyranthraxus says:

After 8 seasons youd probably feel bored and phone it in occasionally too.

• abz says:

Okay but when you’re making a million dollars an episode and basically like 24million a year for a full season, phoning it in is unacceptable. Plus it’s kind of disrespectful to viewers who watched the show and in doing so allowed it to stay so successful which led to their incredibly high pay raises.

• Phoning it in the first episode back after a 4 month vacation is unacceptable. They looked a lot more genuine in their social media pics when they shot this episode.

• Red Snapper says:

I get what you mean about the negative feeling of the wedding. I guess I’m just sick of all the subplots to mess up their relationship that to me there’s been a general negative feeling surrounding them that it just sort of seems normal. They used to be my favorites, I really rooted for them but I can’t really seem to care much anymore. I agree that she does seem to be phoning it in a lot lately. I really hope that they do something to make me feel for these two characters and their relationship again.

• Stacy says:

I agree, it had nothing to do with small and simple and everything to do with the bad vibes. Penny could barely look at Leonard, let alone smile. Even the idea of getting married seemed fear based.

• Kobus Scheepers says:

I agree with the decline in acting quality, but not just from Cuoco. I had just finished re-watching seasons 1-4 before having watched some season 9 episode and found myself constantly irritated by Jim Parsons. His body language has changed dramatically, especiallyin terms of the use of his hands. He seems to be flailing about constantly. It just doesn’t seem as controlled and thoughtful as in earlier seasons. The writing is terrible too.

25. Such a disappointing episode! The wedding was a joke! Penny being upset about Leonard kissing Mandy and ruining their wedding night was pathetic (Penny it was just a kiss!! And he kissed Mandy when he was drunk and far away from you! If Leonard can love you in spite of your sordid past why can’t you get over a simple kiss?) Amy and Sheldon need to sit down together and talk through their issues, not just whine at each other and walk out. This show is suppose to be a comedy. I didn’t find anything to laugh about watching this episode. I seriously hope that the writers and producers get their act together.

• Hege says:

The difference between Penny and Leonard is that Penny didn’t cheat on Leonard. Leonard cheated on Penny when he kissed that girl. Big difference! I would be upset if my husband kissed another woman after we became a couple. What happened before that is of no interest to me.

26. Omar Gobby says:

This episode was a bit more “busy” than most BBT episodes, but what I take away from it most is the delightful turn in Stuart’s character development. He was especially creepy and needy this episode, and I think that he will be a bigger player this season. I also was disappointed that Raj and Emily got no mention. Maybe the constraints of a 30 minute epsiodr prevented that. We shall see…

27. Kim R says:

I, too, came away disappointed. I think they tried to fit too much into one episode. The Amy/Sheldon break up was one thing and sort of took over the episode, which would be fine except that Leonard and Penny were getting married. From the very first episode, Leonard has carried Penny in his heart and I felt kind of ripped off that this was what we got, as fans. AND it was bad enough that the group wasn’t together but they couldn’t even keep it together to WATCH it so we didn’t get that sweet feeling of friendship either. I am a fan of the show and truly like all of the characters but this episode let me down.

28. Jimmy says:

What a terrible episode. Easily one of the most unfunny episodes of BBT I’ve ever watched.

29. Lee says:

I have never missed an episode from show one. If this is an example of what’s to come this year, I won’t be following it. It was dull, boring, and very poorly written.

30. Ro says:

I’m glad Shamy’s relationship is at a turning point but you need to find a new girlfriend for Raj. Emily doesn’t vibe with the group. Lucy might be good for Stuart.

31. mansambambam says:

I liked the rubbish wedding and the shamey stuff.
    I did not like that we got more stuart than raj.

32. StephieR says:

Like everyone else – I was hoping for so much more – especially since last season’s closer left me in tears over Sheldon. The endless commercials aside (felt like the show was only 5 minutes long), what caught me – and what shocked me when it didn’t catch Super Smart Amy’s attention – was Sheldon’s words “those eggs she toting have a sell-by date”. The real Amy would have instantly caught the reference to babies and the fact that that meant Sheldon was finally thinking of the future and babies in that future. Funny line, but with these two and their matter of fact straight-forward talking/thinking brains – another line would have been better used here if the show is going to explore how Sheldon deals with a breakup.

33. Ellinas1978 says:

This comedy has turned into a mildly funny soap opera. Friends did that better.

34. Hege says:

For the first time ever I was disappointed of the show. I know Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting isn’t the best actress but I still really like her. But for the last 2-3 seasons her acting has become poorer. In the episode when Penny and Leonard got engaged she was awful. She seems like she is phoning it in. It’s like she doesn’t care about her character anymore. Harsh words I know but something is off. The only funny thing in this episode was Stuart. Sheldon just doesn’t understand anything.
    I know Keith Carradine (Pennys Dad) will be on the show in of of the upcoming episodes. I hope we will have a real wedding then.

• Wendy says:

Something is up with her acting, I like her & her character but found myself paying more attention to her new eyelashes & gray hair. Also, when he was carrying her she had an expression on her that was what you’d see in rehearsal. Like ‘ok, now I’m being happy going over the threshold. . .’, very disconcerting.

35. Frank says:

Very disappointed we love the show but this one was very boring you know you could have done a better job

36. Here’s how to fix the “drama”show the big bang theory. Next episode Raj and Stuart have an accident in his car and both die, then the others realize there are more important things in life than whining, they get together, get married, end of show.

37. Zoe says:

…I’m so glad I stopped watching this show.

I was setting up the TV in my dorm room during TBBT’s timeslot, and I caught maybe a minute or two when Penny and Leonard were walking into the apartment complex. The way they were fighting made me think they hadn’t tied the knot after all. And the way the recap makes it sound, they really shouldn’t have- and this is coming from someone that used to ship Leonard and Penny. Honestly, it seems so out-of-character for Penny to go ahead and marry a guy she’s mad at. Also, why are they still living in separate apartments?

It just seems like the characters are being used for a soapy plotline to drag out a show that stopped being funny or representational of the geek community seasons and seasons ago. What a waste of time.

38. AngieD says:

Hopefully, these couples won’t remain broken for too long, but it does give room for different angles. Penny was once jealous when Sheldon’s assistant Alex had interested in Leonard. It was the 1st time she realized that he was attractive to others. However, I don’t think they totally explored that option due to Leonard’s devotion to Penny. This allows Penny to really be jealous of someone who is Leonard’s peer and knowing that Leonard has kissed the girl before (while he had no intentions with Alex.) Don’t want it to drag on all season, of course.

As for Shamy, Sheldon does love Amy, but he’s assumed that he doesn’t have to change at all. Amy’s breaking up with him will lead him to perhaps pursue her instead of just assuming that he can do whatever he wants. It’s part of growing up and being in a more balanced relationship. Again, just don’t drag it out all season.

39. j Sturm says:

I am sick of the on again off again stuff with Leonard and Penny. Why cant a show just have the main two characters as a strong relationship and find the drama in other areas?

40. robandco says:

It was just ok. The hype for P & L wedding was so high. It’s just a huge letdown.
    With this kind of shows, they’d better wrap those terrible storylines quick because 10 episodes of that might not respond well with the viewers.

41. m3rcnate says:

Shockingly bad. For a premier it was insanely depressing…a hyped up wedding that ended up being a lame elope in Vegas that ended even worse with them mad at each other? Add to that Sheldon and Amy breaking up and them fighting all episode….wtf was this? lol. Wasn’t this show supposed to be a comedy? Who starts a season premier of a comedy so depressingly?

42. Jules says:

Does anyone know how the writers or producers are reacting to the disappointment of the fans? Do they even care?

43. M.J. Mac says:

Huge fan of Big Bang, but was so disappointed with this episode. The writing felt lazy. We expected so much more for this couple after all these years! It was just recycled, old jokes and stale insults.

44. SayMagnaFeek says:

It was absolutely horrible. A terrible wedding and a crappy episode. Leonard and Penny (and the fans who have followed them for so many years) deserved much better. In interviews, the producer was glowing about this episode, saying how happy they were with it. Just goes to show how freakin’ out of touch they are. In Season 8, Leonard and Penny were completely sidelined. And now Season 9 opens with this crap. Unbelievable. A complete and total bitch slap to Lenny fans everywhere.

45. RZ says:

Biggest problem with the episode is that it was not funny. Usually there are a lot of laughs but there were only a couple during this episode.

46. fedfan81 says:

Pretty sure that NOT showing the wedding was TBBT jumping the shark. They should be ending it while they are ahead not running it into the ground.
    The show has gotten away from everything that made it different anyways. I liked it for the nerd culture aspect. They never even mention any of that anymore. Its basically just a same old same old couples comedy. To bad because I used to really love it but I can feel it slipping away.

47. Steve says:

Is their anyone who is as bored with this as I am?

48. I was so disappointed in this episode! After ALL da years of Leonard and Penny off/on, back an forth…to see how THOUGHTLESS they writers would treat their JOKE of a wedding! (NOT FUNNY) Extremely senseless! And Shelton is NOW just plain UNLIKABLE NOW!

49. Trevor says:

So let me get this straight. In the finale they show that Raj wants to break up with Emily and Leonard cheated on Penny and yet the two that break up are Sheldon and Amy in the end? The two that didn’t really have that solid reason to break up in the first place? Wow. What a message. Go through with a lameass disappointing wedding for your main couple and destroy the other for no good reason. Last year they were the only funny and heartwarming part of the show. I’m not going to bother watching this this year unless they fix this mess and go back to being a comedy.

• whistleblower says:

Yeah, I see everyone disappointed about the wedding but I was also disappointed with the Shamy breakup. I mean, 5 years of buildup to then just break them up? What’s the point? Didn’t they do this with Leonard and Penny already? Couldn’t they work things out without breaking up? Amy has become so normal, it’s really disappointing, she used be the one who got him better than anyone and now she’s never happy with him. Sheldon was kind of too rude in the episode but I feel bad for him. He did grow a lot through the years and it seems it was all for nothing. Very depressing episode.

50. Tony says:

This show is not living up to its potential. Because of lazy writing, last season was the worst. By the end of it, it was showing in the actors’ performances. The premiere episode of a brand new season doesn’t indicate that things are going to get better. They should just go all out for the best this season and just end it. At this rate, it will overstay its welcome and be nothing but a sad parody of itself if it goers on for two or three more seasons.