Big Bang Theory Finale Recap: Are Sheldon and Amy About to [Spoiler]?

Will Sheldon and Amy say “I do” before Leonard and Penny?

Thursday’s Big Bang Theory finale pondered that very question with a gasp-worthy cliffhanger that left the longtime couple dancing around a potential breakup at the end of a disconcerting Skype call, followed by Sheldon pulling out an engagement ring! Meanwhile, the happiest day of Leonard and Penny’s life was interrupted by an unexpected confession.

Despite his admiration for The Flash, a superhero known for supersonic speed, Sheldon has never been in any rush to advance his relationship with Amy beyond the occasional kiss and the exchange of “I love you”s. (And speaking of The Flash, he’s still unsure if The CW’s fresh take will amount to a worthwhile viewing experience.) In “The Commitment Determination,” their future as a twosome looked bleak as Amy’s patience finally plateaued after years of waiting for something more.

On the Leonard and Penny front, the time finally came for them to start making some real decisions in regards to their upcoming wedding. After Sheldon called them out for going a year without making arrangements, the on-again/off-again couple decided there was nothing stopping them from marrying tonight. Upon their drive to Nevada, the duo grew unsure of an elopement, and Leonard grew weary of a secret he has kept from Penny: While off on his North Sea expedition, he engaged in a drunken make-out sesh with a random co-worker. Penny wasn’t happy about it, but it wasn’t enough to call off the wedding, which never actually took place before the episode came to a close.

As Sheldon and Amy and Leonard and Penny pondered their futures, Raj contemplated ending things with Emily, fearful of her twisted side. And though he intended on breaking things off upon their sexy-time trip to a graveyard, he instead told her he loved her out of fear of being alone. Meanwhile, love wasn’t in the air for Stuart, whom Howard and Bernadette have grown tired of as an inadvertently acquired roommate. Unfortunately, the couple were forced to put the kibosh on kicking him out when the perpetual sad-sack got a call from his dad wishing him a happy birthday. (Tough break!)

What did you think of The Big Bang Theory finale? And which couple will be first to get hitched? Hit the comments to share your hypothesis, then grade the episode in our poll!

1. Patrick says:

That was a sudden turn for Shel. Not sure I believe it, but whatevs. No way the wedding takes place. There is too much humor in the huge wedding episode they can use as next year’s 2 part season finale.

2. Omg. I didn’t see that coming at all. Poor Sheldon

3. TV Gord says:

I love this show, but that could NOT have been more boring!

4. Larry says:

That was the worst episode of Big Bang Theory I have ever seen. Why would they do that to Leonard and Penny? Leonard would have never cheated on her.

• Badpenny says:

It is difficult to say never. When Priya was in India Leonard almost had a thing with the comic girl with all the piercings.
      Either way I did not find it to be a very interesting episode, but the show had its renewal a long time ago so it does not need a big finale for next Season.

• S says:

I don’t have as hard of time believing it. Leonard is an insecure guy.

• kdjsl says:

Leonard lacks real character and integrity. He’s all about what he can get away with when no one’s looking. The four nerds represent imature jerks who are motivated by instant gratification. Penny represent ADHD skanks who are externally gratified. A typical Chuck Lorre ploy is to end the show as it began: with everyone going their separate ways. Or, better yet, kill everyone off.

5. BarryFlash says:

I did NOT like tonight’s season finale. I thought Leonard’s confession of kissing another woman was out of character. Even drunk, I don’t think he would do that while being with Penny.

• Patrick says:

Agreed, it was completely out of character and out of left field. I was really surprised.

• Katie says:

Really??? He’s cheated before. It’s not totally out of character, sorry.

• Dele says:

I totally agree and I think Leonard isn’t the nice guy he mostly seems to be! I think he would take any woman, just a bit like Raj – just not to be alone and if he really loved her, he would have told her after it happened and not now when they’re getting serious and he’s feeling miserable! I actually really hope they’re done now and Sheldon and Amy will be okay again because THEY really fit together!

• A3rynSun76 says:

I kinda thought something had happened 2 years ago, but when nothing came up I figured it was in my head. Although Leonard is loyal, he’s also a complete idiot about women. If he was drunk and partying and some girl started kissing him, I’d bet it’d take a little bit of time before he registered that he was cheating.
      That being said, everything was a little off in tonight’s episode. Amy not letting Sheldon say his piece first was weird. Also I hate how they rarely interact as a group. They separate out the storylines too much.

• Mykenzi says:

But that is what makes it interesting. You have no idea it is going to happen. It is a shock. However to me it is not that surprising because for one, he cheated on Priya, and second in the episode when Penny and Sheldon call Leonard, he seems to be having quite a fun, drunk time and seemed to not care too much about Penny’s absence.

6. Bradster says:

I hate that it was the finale

7. Maybe the reason that Sheldon doesn’t want to hop in the sack with Amy is because how he was raised. His mother is a VERY Christian woman and Sheldon loves her. He would not want to do anything to disappoint her, including having sex before marriage.

• Badpenny says:

No, that has never been the stated reason. Sheldon did not even like being touched at the beginning of the series. It has always been due to his only social/intellectual issues.

• Chris says:

It’s never been said outright, but I could buy it as a subconscious reason. His upbringing could also be an underlying cause for his social issues.

• Nan says:

Hardly, remember he spied his mother getting it on with a man when he and Howard went to Texas. He also heard her tell Penny that when she was young a boy could have her for a bottle of strawberry wine. He’s asexual. it happens.

• Jennifer says:

I believe he also called his mother out on that and basically called her a hypocrite. I’m with Michael & Chris on this. Could be a factor.

I liked the finale. It teared up when Sheldon pulled out the ring.

• Tommy says:

Don’t leave out the influence of his Memaw.

8. katedfw says:

Let’s just hope the wedding weekend doesn’t take up an entire season only to have them divorce in the first 10 minutes of the finale! :-)

9. Chris says:

As someone who watched Smallville, I’m kinda surprised they made more fun of the fact that they waited 10 years to see him fly and not the glaring fact that you never actually see Clark Kent in costume (CGI doesn’t count). I know there was rights issues, but I always thought that was a bigger problem then the flying thing.

10. Robin says:

I LOVED it! Love both couples! Penny & Leonard should be married and Sheldon and Amy should be engaged!! It is time both couples take their next BIG steps.

11. James D says:

that was a pretty crappy episode. it wasn’t the funniest season but it had it’s moments. to end it like that was just weird, Am I the only one who thinks that? what was the deal with Penny and Leonerd. Writers staff either have them together or not all this pseudo-drama is redundant and not entertaining. I did feel bad for Sheldon he’s matured a lot over the past few season that ending was very depressing. step up your game writers I’d hate for this show to start tanking.

12. phnr says:

On top of all the rest, why was it:
    – did they abandon the wedding plans they had made just minutes before?
    – did they not think about any of their family in their rush to Las Vegas (and after Leonard’s mom had tried to make things better between them)?
    – that they didn’t invite any of their friends to the quicky wedding?

• John NYC says:

The lack of inviting the gang was a huge puzzler for me. Okay so it set up the opening for their conversation in the car that otherwise wouldn’t have happened but such a huge break from doing everything with that group? Too odd.

13. laurelnev says:

Amy’s going to call Penny, and next season will start w/ L&P turning around to go support A&S. Shamy will get back together when Amy learns about the ring. Calling it now. :)

• Amanda says:

I think you’re right. I also think Leonard and Penny won’t ever get married. I liked them in the beginning together but now it’s just like meh. They’re probably better off as basically best friends (next to Sheldon lol).

14. Kelly says:

What a boring & lame finale! First of all, Penny & Leonard have been boring since their anti-climatic engagement. Nothing interesting has happened between them since. Now this terribly boring, said wedding in Vegas? Ugh. And this random confession of Leonard making out with another girl? Huh?

Meanwhile. we all know Sheldon & Amy will be fine & they’ll probably be back together by the first episode of next season. It was all so, so, so boring.

15. Rachel says:

I wish I could tell Sheldon that, yes you should watch the flash!

• TJ Quick says:

Hahaha my thoughts exactly while watching!

• Azerty says:

It’s funny because Sheldon often wears Flash T-shirts while in the Flash Cisco wears BBT T-shirts (I spotted a “that’s my spot” T-shirt and a rock paper scissors lizard Spock t-shirt.

16. Al says:

If you think that the show has a couple years left under contract. It would be hard for me to see the dynamic of Sheldon living with Leonard ending so my guess is Leonard and Penny will stay together but not marry yet or take a little break of sorts. I think Amy and Sheldon will get engaged but the engagement will last for season and part of ten. Sooner or later Stuart will get the boot somehow I would imagine before causing to much trouble with Howard and B and I think Raj may stay with Emily…not exactly sure why but there is something there even with her strange side. But then again what do I know :-)

17. StillHope says:

I couldn’t believe just left it at that…I was kinda disappointed but hopefully next season its gets better..i had a lot of mixed feelings towards this season there were some episodes that were laugh out loud funny and some that didn’t even insight any laughter and fell flat…but I’m like Sheldon I stick it out for any series I watch till the end.

18. summer says:

Very disappointing finale. boring storylines, boring characters…etc. The writers have been at this too long. they have run out of good storylines. This show should have ended 2 years ago.

19. summer says:

very disappointing finale. boring! this show should have ended two years ago. no storylines left that are interesting

20. sonja says:

I’m not sure how I feel about the episode. Sheldon looked so sad. I don’t like when my favorite comedy is depressing.

21. Holly says:

I’m praying that Sheldon fights for Amy and that the season 9 premiere ends with them getting engaged!

22. Shelnard says:

Don’t cancel FOREVER! Please, someone (TNT, TBS, Netflix, etc…) pick up the second season! :D

23. Faye says:

I hope it takes a battle for Sheldon to win Amy back, not a tiara like gesture again with a ring instead.
    The best episodes recently have been tender moments between those two. Sheldon has grown so much over the years….them smooching at the beginning of tonight’s show?..I never imagined he could get to that point from when we first met him.
    The ones dedicated to Mrs Walowitz were great too.
    But the writing for othet characters..especially Leonard and Penny has been really boring/lazy. Surely, there could be interesting things happening with them.
    In general, I still look forward to the show but I am not laughing as much as I did in the past.

24. kim says:

Tbbt got really boring when Leonard and penny got engaged, they got even more boring when penny cut off her damn hair, also I’ve been noticing that penny is a faker, especially when it comes to Amy. Tbbt got bored really fast, it used to be funny until Leonard and penny got engaged and penny cut her hair. WORST finale ever. On the other hand I’d rather see amy with Leonard rather than penny, who is apparently now even more self centered than ever.

• Nan says:

Is it a psychological slip that you repeatedly capitalize Leonard but not Penny? It’s just a show, seems there’s something deeper going on.

25. Pat says:

I love the BBT but unfortunately, I have to agree with some of the other commenters on here who were not thrilled by this episode. I feel like this has to be one of their worst season finale shows. Will Leonard and Penny get married in Vegas? My answer is no. I think they eventually will marry but in a wedding with her Dad walking her down the aisle. Not to many laughs to be found in this episode and that was quite disappointing.

26. Mary says:

The ending was a shock and sad/sweet and extremely well done.

However, the rest of the episode sucked. Sorry it was boring. I didn’t laugh, cry or really care. I also just don’t buy Leonard and penny any more they did the Ross and Rachel thing and broke them up and got them together to many times that it doesn’t feel real it feels like they just don’t know what to do with the characters.

27. S says:

So this is 2 girlfriends Leonard has cheated on….hmmm. The Sheldon part at the end made me gasp…that was the only part of the show that did.

28. Jeff says:

I had two big issues with the episode: 1) before Penny and Leonard get married, they need to show these twos actually happy with each other. All interactions b/w these two end with an argument. let them act like they actually like each other first. 2) Would Sheldon really have waited this long to watch The Flash show? Of course not. Hed be there first episode. Not believable at all.

29. Phoenixfox says:

I was disappointed in Penny wanting to get married in Vegas… Did she forget that her first marriage happened in Vegas? You’d think she’d want to do something different the second time around.

30. Emma says:

I agree it was a little boring ,and it wasn’t out of left field completely. I just think it was out of character for Leonard to cheat on Penny. I for one have always thought that he was more in love with her than she was with him. That’s why

31. brandydanforth81 says:

Not that great if an episode-Raj shoukdve broken up with up with Emily,Howard& Bernadette shoukdve kicked Staurt out.Shocked at Sheldon getting Amy a ring& Leonard cheated on Penny,?Lenny won’t get married for a while.

32. Valerie Tower says:

I love the BBT, but this whole season has been off. The most memorable ep was last week’s with their mothers.

33. Eurydice says:

I thought the show was kind of interesting – not a barrel of laughs, but there were some insights. The thing with Leonard and Penny is that they’re pretty much already married. And if they’re happy with where they are and how their lives are progressing, there’s no reason why they need that piece of paper at all.

34. Christian says:

Suffering through the lame efforts of the BBT writers to carry on through this last season, I have finally decided to shelve this show for good. The running gags are tired, the characters have hit a wall, the scenarios hang out like wet clothes on a clothesline that never dry. Raj’s father was at the table for Thanksgiving – but didn’t contribute a thing to the show. Howard has a long-lost brother – but it didn’t contribute a thing to the show. The breaking point was last week’s episode in which Christine Baranski and Laurie Metcalf were treated like nostalgic props. I don’t blame the actors at all – they do their job well. The writers, however, have absolutely no idea what to do with this show anymore. It was bound to happen. I’m just sorry it has happened so heavy and awkwardly.

35. idahoguy101 says:

I hope that next season is the last. Wrap it up. This cow has been milked dry.

36. steph says:

Who can possibly believe that Leonard cheated on Penny? I thought that the finale was great, minus that stupid aspect. I thought it was super random and just… not believable. But I did love the Amy/Sheldon cliffhanger.

• nova says:

the first 3 seasons were great after that its been all downhill first Leonard is a short fat ugly man who could not even talk to to girls but somehow has changed into a super chick magnet really? all the guys penny has been in bed with i can see her jumping in bed with Leonard cause she will with just about anyone but marry him? and why would he want to marry her knowing how many guys she has bed hopped with? funny all the casuel sex going on in that show and noone get any vd? be more like real life is after he had sex with penny he caught something from her and shelton is telling him that he told him so that would be really funny

37. Courtney says:

Omg I really want Sheldon and Amy to get back together so he can propose I was so sad to hear she broke up with him 😞😞 but hopefully they will work things out!!!

38. Sidra says:

i actually loved the episode! seems to be an unpopular opinion though. Sheldon has come so far, and the show was kinda getting boring when none of the plot lines were advancing. It seems like the appropriate time for sheldon and amy to accelerate a bit. As well, Sheldon without emotions was becoming a bit unrealistic.

39. garry bunn says:

I think the episodes are still going strong. It’s great that Leonard and penny are finally getting married. I hope to see Sheldon and Amy get back together and tie the knot.

40. MB says:

…just wondering if ANYONE on show knew of Sheldons plan to give Amy a ring ? … Cmon !
    I can see him doing this ..
    New season .. Penny’s mistrust of Leonard is getting way too old ..

41. MB says:

Did Sheldon show anyone the ring ?
    Penny’s mistrust of Leonard is getting old !