UnREAL Stars Talk Puzzling Finale Moment, What It Means for Season 2

If you’re still wondering exactly what Rachel meant by that very odd declaration of love in UnREAL‘s Season 1 finale, congratulations: Series stars Shiri Appleby and Constance Zimmer say that’s exactly what the Lifetime drama was going for.

Fans of the reality-show-skewering series will remember that Appleby’s Rachel told her mentor/tormentor Quinn how deeply she cared for her in the season-ender, but the look on Rachel’s face — and the fact that she’d just learned Quinn had sabotaged her — were at odds with her warm words.

“I felt like she was saying, ‘I love you, but you’re killing me on the inside,’ ‘I love you and I’m going to get back at you,’ and ‘I love you, you’re the only person I really have in this world,'” Appleby told TVLine at Saturday’s Creative Arts Emmy Awards.

And that ambiguity wasn’t lost on Quinn, Zimmer noted.

“It definitely has this something’s-not-right feeling, which is a great way to end the season,” said the actress, “to see how she’s going to take that and use it against me or for herself.”

She added: “Ultimately, the people were really into the relationship of Quinn and Rachel. That was the best way to end it — to show that you can be 100 percent in love with someone, but know that they could possibly be pretty bad for you. We just have to figure out what that is for both of us.”

RELATED UnREAL Finale: EP Marti Noxon Talks Rachel’s ‘Walter White’ Moment, ‘Complicated’ Future With Quinn

As for Season 2 scoop, “The only thing I know is that we’re going back to work in March, and the writers start writing in November,” Appleby said. (With reporting by Rebecca Iannucci)

1. Tea says:

Oh good, so Constance Zimmer’s recurring role on SHIELD should be done by the time filming starts. Safe to assume it’s coming back in June?

2. tvwatcher says:

I can’t wait for season 2. Hopefully the show is just as good as the 1st. I fear it won’t due to new cast members and the sophomore slump. I hope I am proven wrong. Shiri gave an Emmy worthy performance. She also landed another role on the new CBS show Code Black. She also has a movie called The Deviks Candy premiering at the TIFF and a short film in the can as well. On top of all that she’s pregnant with her 2nd child. When does she find time to sleep? She’s as busy as ever. Hopefully (fingers crossed) she can get rewarded with an Emmy for her brilliant performance as Rachel Goldberg on UnREAL.

3. Jared says:

I’m assuming that since production doesn’t start until March on the new season, that gives the actors opportunities to appear on other series. Either way I can’t wait for S2. UnReal was such a pleasant surprise. I didn’t expect it to be as good as it was.

4. K says:

Unreal was the best show of 2015. Did it qualify for this years Emmys? Or next years? Either way, Constance and Shiri definitely deserve nominations, they were absolutely amazing.

5. shutuprob says:

I didn’t wonder about that scene at all — it illustrates their destructive, co-dependent relationship perfectly. What I was wondering about was the scene where Jeremy goes to Rachel’s mother’s house. That was the WTF?! moment of the episode.

6. Steve Hannah says:

Too bad they can’t follow the Bachelor again so more people can see just how phony
    that show is. Especially the host!!

7. Heather says:

I feel like it’s been so long since unreal was on. I think this show is awesome. Can’t wait til this show comes back.

8. Emily O'linger says:

When will Unreal season two premiere???