Fall TV Preview
Once Upon a Time Spoilers

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once, Castle, Arrow, NCIS: LA, S.H.I.E.L.D., H50, Shadowhunters and More

What’s up with Once Upon a Time‘s improbable alliance? Which Castle couple is butting heads? What happens when NCIS‘ DiNozzo does LA? Is hope lost for S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Skyeward? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Can you explain to me the new Once Upon a Time photo of Dark Swan being trained by Rumplestiltskin? How can that be, if he’s in a coma back in Storybrooke? – Vera
Upon being consumed by the Darkness in the May finale, Emma “did not travel time, but she did travel realms,” series co-creator Eddy Kitsis makes clear. “And why Rumple’s there will be immediately explained within the first act of the premiere (airing Sept. 27).”

Is the incredible resemblance between Once Upon a Time’s King Arthur (to be played by Liam Garrigan) and a certain one-handed pirate just happy coincidence? –Linda
With a chuckle, Eddy Kitsis affirms, “It is just a happy coincidence!”

Is there any Ryan/Esposito storyline coming up on Castle? I always love seeing more of Jon [Huertas] and Seamus [Dever]! —Marine
Co-showrunner Terence Paul Winter foresees “a very interesting story” ahead SEAMUS DEVER, STANA KATIC, JON HUERTASfor the boys, in the wake of their colleague’s job change. “After seeing Beckett ascend the ranks, they’re realizing maybe it’s time for them to start looking upwards in their own careers,” Winter says. “In doing so, they start to butt heads a bit, but in a fun way, because the dynamic between those two has always been ‘two brothers.'”

Anything Caskett-related to share for Castle? –Mandy
You’re gonna really like the exclusive photo I’ll be running as part of TVLine’s Fall Preview Spectacular.

Will we see more of Danny’s new son this season on Hawaii Five-0? –Sarah
“It’s definitely a story arc for the season (premiering Sept. 25),” says showrunner Peter M. Lenkov, who actually was thisclose to uncorking the twist a year earlier than he did, but instead decided to put some distance between (accurate) Internet speculation and the actual reveal. “There’s a nice little [storyline] of Danny having to take some time off to do that [bone marrow transplant],” all setting the stage for a Halloween episode where father and son trick-or-treat in the hospital halls. “As grumpy as he is,” Lenkov says, “with kids you see a whole different side of Danny.”

Got any scoop on Michael House RulesWeatherly’s NCIS: LA appearance you feel like sharing? –Michelle
NCIS: LA boss Shane Brennan says that Weatherly’s crossover visit fuels one of the spinoff’s “Top 5” episodes ever, triggered by “a classic DiNozzo moment in which he’s in Los Angeles to pick someone up from an airplane and, goodness me, they’re not there. He’s about to be in serious trouble with his superiors, so he needs the help of our team in L.A. to find the person he was supposed to pick up.” Sharing moments with Hetty, Deeks, Sam et al, Weatherly’s scenes are “amazing,” Eric Christian Olsen raves. “He’s such a gifted actor, so good with comedy and drama,” perhaps no more so than when paired with Deeks. “I am his spirit animal. He is my spirit animal,” Olsen declares. “One of us is one of us’ spirit animal.”

I am in desperate need of a scoop regarding the Mr. Robot finale (airing Wednesday)! Do you have anything? –Farley
Two characters who have not had a scene together will meet for the first time, while someone you may have thought you’d never see again will resurface (and in a most unexpected fashion).

We’ve been getting hints that Arrow‘s beloved Starling City is going to be Starling no more. Is this a nefarious plot by Damian Darhk? –Marika
Although renaming Oliver’s hometown is not Darhk’s handiwork, you can be sure that he will cast a long shadow — though never skulk in one – on the rebranded Star City. “He’s very different from our previous Big Bads in that he’s not hiding in the shadows,” showrunner Marc Guggenheim shares. “But at the same time, he doesn’t have a public persona.” That, however, won’t keep him from crashing VIP gatherings. In the Oct. 7 premiere, for example, “He shows up at a very public meeting that Lance is present at,” the EP previews. “If Darhk wants to show up somewhere, he’s certainly going to!”

I know they talked aboutBRETT DALTON, CHLOE BENNETAgents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Skye and Lincoln (blech!) at TCA, but Skyeward ‘shippers are still holding out hope that our ‘ship has a chance. Is it all in vain? –Lily
For one, Skye is now going by her birth name, Daisy — so that in and of itself spells trouble for the ‘shipper name. And beyond that, “Ward fell for Agent 33 last year, and after Daisy had put a couple bullets in him, it sure felt to me like he he’d moved on,” exec producer Jeff Bell notes. “Anything is possible,” he allows, but right now, at least, the new HYDRA head is “less interested in snuggling with Skye than in getting payback for what happened to Kara.”

Is Gibbs’ recovery going to make a difference in the future of NCIS, if he takes a back seat for the whole season? –Anita
Oh, I don’t recall anyone saying that Boss will ride shotgun for the whole season…? But yes, count on some differences in the big orange room. “We’re going to see some changes in Gibbs that are going to throw people a bit,” showrunner Gary Glasberg says. “[Mark] Harmon is doing some fantastic work right now in just subtle nuances. So, physically, you’re going to see changes. Emotionally, you’re going to see changes. At the end of the day, things that you wouldn’t normally associate with Leroy Jethro Gibbs are going to happen.”

I just read that Ripper Street has begun filming its fourth season in Ireland. I presume that Amazon is going to stream Season 4 in the UK first. However, will the U.S. eventually get access to Season 4, and if, so, when? –Andrea
BBC America is all set to air the fourth season Stateside, I can confirm.

How are things going with the Mortal Instruments TV series? Do you think it will be worth watching and when will it premiere? –Vivian
When I asked ABC Family president Tom Ascheim about the series — titled Shadowhunters – he had yet to screen a full episode, but said, “We’re excited by the dailies. McG directed the first one and it looks beautiful. It looks big.” Expected to debut in January, the TV take on the book series should satisfy fans. “When you’re adapting, you always have to find the balance of being loyal and giving them something new,” Ascheim said, “and I think we’ve found a good balance.”

Do you know if Emily Meade will be appearing on The Leftovers Season 2? –Martin
In a word, no. Seeing as Season 2 relocates the Garvey family from Mapleton, N.Y. to Jarden, Texas, HBO’s synopsis says, Jill will be “leaving behind the town she grew up in and the friends she made there, including her best friend Aimee (played by Meade), who will not be making the journey to Texas with the Garveys.”

Any more scoop on Wilson Bethel’s recurring gig on ABC’s Blood & Oil (premiering Sept. 27)? Or how many episodes he will be in? –Hannah
His episode count is TBD, but the Hart of Dixie fave is recurring as Finn, a handsome (twist!) chef from Chicago who came to North Dakota with dreams of opening a restaurant, but soon realized he was a better cook than he was a businessman. And although Finn’s charismatic smile proves alluring to some, behind it lies – dun-dun-dunnnnn! — a dark secret.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com!

1. Jackie says:

I figured the resemblance between Hook & Arthur was just a coincidence. But the fact that it sent so many fans into a tizzy of speculation just shows how desperate fans are for more of Hook’s backstory. Come on, show, stop saying “someday” and get on that!!

• Val says:

I mean yes the resemblance there but it was the fact that Hook was a lieutanant once, and where did his navy come from and who was the King that deceived him and his brother which led the death to his brother and him becoming a pirate. Its exciting to want to know this and imagine this. And also in a arc where the Dark One curse is the theme with Emma, and Hook is the one of the person who has a long history with it and now the woman he loves has become the dark one (again he loses his love to the dark one)

• Gerald says:

I find the casting director on this show is to blame. Sheriff Graham, Austin, Hook, Robin Hook now Arthur. They are all not that different in my opinion.

• Lily says:

I just find it funny that King Arthur shares more of a resemblance to Hook, than his own brother Liam did.

2. Brad says:

So should fans be worried about the caskett photo

3. Well, maybe like with the Witchblade does in the comics, the blade in Once Upon A Time retains an aspect of the essence of previous Dark Ones/bearers, and that’s who Emma interacts with.

4. Andrea says:

Looking forward to the Caskett picture!

5. Mandy says:

Guess I’ll have to wait for TVLine’s Fall Preview Spectacular, but then I get back to you, Matt and tell you, if I REALLY liked the photo ;)

6. Brad says:

Hope it’s not a different version off the photo hawley took

7. spindae2 says:

Thx for the scoop.

8. Lysh says:

I don’t understand why Emma is being trained. Rumple came from having no powers and suddenly he was confident and taking down his son’s bullies. I kinda don’t completely understand the Dark One tbh so I guess I’m looking forward to hopefully learning more about it.

• Ian says:

Emma would actually have to be in a parallel universe for Rumple to be there, not just another realm.

• tvjunkie says:

How do you know the different realms aren’t actually different universes? You can’t travel to a different realm by normal means. The same would be true of different universes.

• Ian says:

Because in this show Wonderland and Arendelle and Camelot are all different realms you cant travel too by normal means to each other because theyre in different worlds. But Emma is a parallel enchanted forest where another Rumple exists, not the same one they originally all came from because that Rumple’s in a coma.

9. Sarah says:

the only one I am interested in is Castle

10. abz says:

Meh, I really have no interest in seeing more Ryan and Esposito at all. I find them completely boring and annoying. Wish they got rid of them as well when they got rid of Gates. I really hope to see less of them in the new season. I’m already close to quitting Castle after that horrendous Castle terrorist storyline and the boring cases and the overall feeling of a lack of creativity on the show in general. Hoping these new showrunners can breathe some new life into the show.

11. Nya says:

Mr Robot: Maybe Shayla?

12. Lisa says:

That Agents of SHIELD scoop is the best news I’ve read for this season so far. Really glad the show is moving away from that.

13. thisismenow says:

Hope Castle is awesome this season!

14. Perhaps a picture of the ONE TIME Castle and Beckett might actually be in a scene together? Stressing the word the one time.

15. JImN says:

When it comes to Castle any story line that takes screen time away from Caskett is not good for the ratings. Why eat hamburger when you can eat steak?

16. Dean says:

I’m guessing Emma has some sort of psychic connection to the previous dark ones like in Avatar the last airbender. Really never got into LA hard to take it seriously when the team leader is Robin an his partner is a has been rapper but I’ll tune in for Weatherly’s ep and for real NCIS interested in seeing how Gibbs is affected considering his soft spot for kids and it was a kid who wounded him.

17. Stella says:

All I want to know from OUAT is whether they’re going to continue to ruin Regina for Hood’s benefit, or if she’ll get her personality and spine back this year?

18. Grace says:

Thank you for the H50 scoop, Matt! I wondered if we would get to see the bone marrow transplant. I also wonder if Steve will visit Danny in the hospital?

19. M. says:

I wonder if TPTB at Castle realize that there are viewers, who don’t care that the boys have their spot in the limelight from time to time (!), but REALLY want to see Caskett doing their thing (and this involves cracking cases as much as private things) at least once in EVERY episode!

The lack of these moments could have made some past-episodes at least a little better.

But that’s just my opinion.

• John NYC says:

And there are other viewers who like the secondary pairings so there’s balance to be made. Enough of the leads and then some of the surrounding cast to give them context.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

John just collected 225 TVLine Power User points! (No cash value)

• NDFan says:

Thank you John!

• Brad says:

Very few lol

• tv fan says:

hey i like the 2nd and 3rd (and so on) character, but I don’t want to see them take over the show. I want them all to work together……that’s why I watched the show in the first place, they need to be developed as well. I can’t say i love or hate them….cause I don’t know them. so it needs to be balanced. I just want to see the show to do well so I get to watch it. hope season 8 is a great one.

• Yet says:

Love Ryan and Espo so much. They are fun and Seamus and Jon are incredible!

• M. says:

I guess the important word is BALANCE. By now there has only ever been either or.
        If the new TPTB can handle the timing for primary and secondary characters storylines better then in the past I’ll be happy.

And just to be clear I NEVER wrote there shouldn’t be storylines about the boys at all, but IMO it’s important that there is at least a glimpse of Caskett-goodness in every episode.

• Kat says:

Agreed! I love Ryan and Esposito and what they bring to the show. I love Castle and Beckett too, but even main characters need secondary characters to back them up and provide an overall interesting show. The Caskett fans want nothing but Caskett, but imagine how monotonous the show would be if it were just 40 minutes of them two talking and kissing, etc etc. Without other interesting characters, interesting cases, and more at stake that show wouldn’t be worth watching. To me, anyway.

• lkh says:

I dunno M. Some of the best episodes have been focusing on the guys, what comes to mind is The Wild Rover with Ryan.
      It seems to me, and I don’t know if it applies to you, but I have gathered from comments over time that some folks would prefer that every other character always agree with Caskett, especially Castle, that they never are rude to Castle, that they always support him, etc. People aren’t all the same, they don’t have the same background, behavior, experiences, ethnicity, attitude, etc, etc. If there wasn’t this group, you would end up with the unreal (more unreal) exchange between just two characters. There might be other people present, but they really would be of little value and essentially add nothing to the story–life, even pretend life, does work that way and actually that is what would be boring. As much as you like Caskett and their interaction, it would diminish if there were no other interesting characters.

• lkh says:

oops M–didn’t see your latest post before I wrote this… :[

• S. says:

Yeah sometimes Espo is protective of Beckett or remembers that even Montgomery, his hero, let them down once so when Castle says something about his disappearance for instance, Espo’s reaction has background that’s totally justified. Watch for folks hating Espo at that point and saying that they don’t like how he’s being written all because it’s not in lock step with Rick. Drama requires conflict and when the boys argue with him or doubt him, it’s not poor writing or anybody being mean to Castle for the sake of it.

20. Michelle says:

Thanks for answering my Michael Weatherly, NCIS:LA question. Can’t wait to see DiNozzo interact with the LA gang, especially Hetty.

• John NYC says:

Given some of Gibbs’ backstory (his undercover work with Jenny..) and Hetty being, well, Hetty, I’d appreciate some reference to Gibbs and Hetty having a previous connection.

• Darlene says:

Thanks for asking the question, Michelle! I’m really looking forward to, “When Tony Meets Hetty.”

21. lqza says:

Stopped watching NCIS, very samey. And I cannot abide any more of loud mouth Tony!

• Sammi Lee says:

How odd. You have stopped watching and can’t “abide” loud mouth Tony. Yet, here you are complaining about a show and a character you aren’t watching–then, why are you here complaining?? Just to whine about a show you don’t watch???? Wow………

22. Allison says:

I hadn’t really planned on watching Blood & Oil but once I heard Wilson Bethel was cast I decided I’ll at least check it out. Since he was pretty recently cast I assume it will be a few episodes before his character makes an appearance?

23. Yet says:

Thank you Matt for Castle news! Love anything Castle related.

24. as524 says:

Michael Weatherly being on NCIS LA means I actually have to sit down & watch an ep….

Hope it’s as good as they are saying because LAshowrunner Brennan*never* did right by Weatherly or his character when he ran the mothership.

25. Sh*tting on another ship while asking the question, classy… but I shouldn’t be surprised with SW shippers. I just hope the writers won’t go there again (and I hope this answer was just baiting), I don’t want Skye/Daisy’s character development destroyed for this abusive ship AND this awful man, she deserves better, WAY Better!

26. Amanda says:

I had not heard about the Shadowhunters series. But now I am excited! I am actually one of the few that liked the movie based on the first book, and was hoping for more. Can’t wait. For any showrunners who read these blogs to keep track of feedback left by fans, I am in the 45-60 demographics, and I love fantasy\horror!

27. NDFan says:

I may be one of the few, but I like all the secondary characters on Castle. I’ve always enjoyed the interaction between Caskett and everyone else and they’ve been a part of it since the beginning. And to be honest, I’d be totally bored if the whole hour was just Castle and Beckett solving the same old cases and having cutesy and teasing moments… I’m actually looking forward to seeing what the season will bring…. I know I’m in the minority!

• tv fan says:

i with you i loved all the character, one of my fav was gates, i don’t think castle would be who he is with just one side. i would like to see all of them together.

28. Darlene says:

Love the NCIS news! I’m looking forward to the nuanced changes in the Gibbs character. So happy that the show continues to evolve – peeling back the layers on each character then unfolding new layers. Smart TV.
    Also looking forward to seeing ‘DiNozzo does LA’. I think it’ll be fun, and I like Eric’s comment about how good an actor Michael Weatherly is. It echoes what Mark Harmon has said about Michael’s thespian chops.

29. Andrea says:

Thanks for answering my question about Ripper Street, Matt.

30. kmk says:

So are Angela and Wellick going to meet? I just really hope Ollie won’t come back….

31. lkh says:

I think Ryan and Espo are very competitive–always have been part of their relationship. In addition, Ryan is expecting a new family member, so this along with his previous worry about money, will probably add to this competition for recognition and possibly a new ‘job’. I think in one episode he was actually a ‘rent a cop’–security?

32. Lisa says:

So still nothing about Hooks backstory this season?!I am loosing interest in this show,we know everything about Rumple and Regena!I want to see my favorite’s caracter story please!I love Hook,I am watching for Hook,he needs an interesting story arc

33. kath says:

Boo to Starling City being renamed to inferior name of Star City. Anyone want an example of fanservice, that’s it.

I am looking forward to the Esposito/Ryan storyline on Castle though.
    I’m still iffy about Emma going dark but I bet Jennifer Morrison is going to have fun with it.

34. ndixit says:

I’m really excited for Weatherly’s NCIS LA visit. But I’m a bit wary of Brennan talking about Tony have a “Dinozzo moment”, because I remember that under Brennan’s reign, a “Dinozzo moment” usually involved him looking like a buffoon. Still can’t wait. Tony and Deeks interacting should be a blast.

Other than that, I’m curious about the Castle pic. I hope the spoilers are holding out on us regarding storylines involving Castle and Beckett because we have got news on pretty much every character barring those two. However, unlike a lot of people on here, I actually encourage more storylines for the side characters. Castle is one of those shows where the side characters are really underdeveloped and the main characters are starting to have overdevelopment. Hence we have silly storylines like Castle’s disappearance, a prospective President being a secret drug kingpin, a marriage which slipped under the radar of the NYPD and the FBI and more etc…

• tyranthraxus says:

Interested to see how Gibbs is sidelined this year. I think his injury is gonna be life changing. Hes been shot, stabbed , clubbed before and keeps bouncing back but I think his body is finally saying ‘no.. thats enough’ . Hopefully this means Dinozzo can start to run more crime scenes and so on.

35. Cait says:

Mr. Robot:

Based off process of elimination and the fact Mr. Robot is apparently not real (I take nothing for granted), the two characters meeting for the first time probably have to be either Angela meeting someone from fsociety besides Darlene or Gideon meeting someone from fsociety, Darlene included. Unless you throw more minor characters like Ollie or Angela’s dad into the mix, in which case I have no idea.

The character reappearing would have to be Shayla, I think. Is there anyone else it could be?

36. Matt, I wish you’d answer AoS questions that are actually relevant instead of someone asking about an obviously dead ship just so the showrunners can bait them a little more with “Anything is possible.” There is no way in hell SkyeWard is gonna happen, ever. Why not give us something interesting, like info about whatever happened to Simmons, the Secret Warriors, new villain Lash, Coulson’s prosthetic hand, May’s debating whether or not to leave SHIELD, Bobbi dealing with her injuries, etc? I know I should appreciate any AoS scoop you guys dish out, but this one is just really pointless, don’t know why that person bothered to ask in the first place.

37. Annie says:

When does the TVLine Fall Preview Spectacular post?

38. jrex says:

I’m looking forward to the Shadowhunter series, but I do hope they avoid the creepy subplot of the Clary and Jace romance when they think they may be brother and sister.

39. marika says:

Thanks for answering my question, Matt & team!

40. daphne says:

who dies in ncis please can someone tell me

41. Marie Liller says:

We (our entire family) really hope they don’t do anything to change the NCIS program and cast. It is the only show worth watching and if roles are changed, especially Gibbs, the entire program will suck as well as losing its ratings. This is the only show we watch besides Wheel of Fortune and Family Feud!!!!

42. I’m trying to post something but it keeps getting cut off. Gonna have to post it in in paragraphs so I know what’s being rejected.

So, Once Upon A Time introduced the notion of Authors as this unbroken line of individuals who can chronicle and manipulate the lives of the fairy tale characters. One such Author was Walt Disney, whose death lead to the induction of the Author that followed, who turned out to have not-so-benevolent intentions for the inhabitants of fairytale land.

• My question would be, how does the show explain the brothers Grimm? Like, when they chronicled these lives, for instance, their version was more gruesome.

• Clearly, the way these characters conduct themselves and their existences as a whole don’t align with the way the Grimm told their stories, rather they are a perfect reflection of Disney’s version of their stories.

This would mean that, much as the Author that followed Disney, Disney too altered the characters’ lives to make them more wholesome and family friendly, but in truth their lives as they are now (“Disneyfied”) are no truer than the lives they had in the alternate world Disney’s replacement created at the end of the season.

43. John NYC says:

Indeed. Sounds like they’re loosening Mark Harmons leash to allow his very under appreciated acting skills more room to roam.

44. too2atenine@gmail.com says:

H50 is fantastic!!! They just get better and better and better. They should have a better time frame, especially on TNT. Love their action crime dramas!! If they don’t pull a full 25 episode season, millions will be disappointed and hurt!!!! Everyone’s rooting and begging for season 7 & 8!!! CBS, don’t let your millions of fans down!! As well, as NCIS Los Angeles!!

45. NCIS would benefit immeasurably by Michael Weatherly’s departure and Cote de Pablo’s return.