Celebrity Apprentice: Donald Trump Will 'Absolutely Not' Ever Return as Host, NBC Boss Makes Clear

NBC is putting a pin in Celebrity Apprentice.

On the heels of the network’s decision to fire Donald Trump as host, Peacock president Robert Greenblatt announced Thursday that the reality franchise would be sitting out the coming season. “But it will be back for the 2016-17 season with a new host,” the exec told reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills, adding that some of the new host rumors making the rounds “are simply not true.”

As for Trump’s future status as host of the competition series, Greenblatt flatly said the polarizing politico would “absolutely not” ever reclaim his chair.

That said, Greenblatt didn’t rule out a non-Apprentice NBC-Trump collaboration at some point in the future, especially given his current bid for the White House. “I don’t think somebody who is running for president, and might possibly be the next leader of the free world, would be completely banned from any activities at NBC,” he conceded. “But we’ll have to see how this plays out. I honestly don’t know. At the moment, we’re sort of separated.”

NBC parted ways with Trump in late June in the wake of comments he made about illegal immigrants from Mexico. “At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values,” the network said in a statement at the time. “Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump.”

1. Drew says:

Bah. If it meant higher ratings and more money, they would take him back in a heartbeat.

• Sam says:

That’s exactly what it would mean if they took him back now. So that logic doesn’t really hold up.

• Ryan says:

It would be a short term spike, but the bad press would hurt them more in the long run.

• Drew says:

Not really. I don’t like Trump, but he is no worse than any other reality show sensationalist. None of the bad headlines lately have really damaged him, especially since so many of those headlines were based on distortions of what he actually said.
          At this point, there is no long term win for this show. A shot term ratings spike means that they get a little more life out of a quickly dying brand. Without that spike, it will end much sooner.

• David4 says:

I read it as the same. It was pretty much “If we can figure the legal stuff out we would love to have him back! Just look at what he did during the ‘debate’ to get those ratings in! He’s crazy, but crazy pays the bills!”

2. Steven says:

Like Donald will ever make it to the White House.

• Drew says:

Because a self involved man whose entire campaign revolves around media hype and his own ego would never get elected?
      I agree that he won’t get elected, but I never underestimate the ability of the people to disappoint me. Obama won twice after all.

3. Marla says:

I am betting it’s Piers Morgan. I loathe this guy more than Donald Trump.

4. Ginger Snap says:

You know, this show isn’t that important. We’re not talking about the Pope or the Queen of England.
    Get over yourself, Celebrity Apprentice.

5. steven says:

Just cancel it already!

6. Bill says:

Without a Trump its pointless

7. I only watched the Apprentice for Trump anyways..I doubt I am the only one that feels the same way. I see the Apprentice on its last season without Trump..so see ya

8. NBC you make me sick just because he made a comment about them that dose not give you a reason to fire Trump you made a very very big mistake he is number one on that show and you do this to him

9. Linda Kinsey says:

I commend NBC for taking a stand and their appreciation of and commitment to diversity. Donald Trump is wrong for America on so many levels. We must continue to forge ahead with progress towards a world where the color of our skin does not define our levels of success. We must celebrate the uniqueness and contribution of every human being.