Post Mortems
The Fosters Callie Brandon Sex

Fosters' David Lambert on a Moment of Desire for 'Brallie,' Finale Fallout

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Monday’s episode of The Fosters.

The Fosters steamed up TV screens on Monday night as foster siblings Brandon and Callie surrendered to the long-simmering sexual tension between them.

But with Callie’s adoption possibly not playing out in the way that she expected, the couple will have to “come back to reality” in next week’s summer finale, star David Lambert tells TVLine.

Below, the actor also explains what drove Brandon and Callie to finally give in to their lusty urges and previews the complicated repercussions of the desire-fueled moment.

TVLINE | Talk to me a little bit about Brandon’s mindset during the episode. What is he feeling toward Callie?
This episode is, obviously, a pretty monumental one. There’s definitely a turnaround that is made here, in mentality, between the two. It’s the result of that just-under-the-surface tension that was always there. They had things going on in both of their lives they happened to distract themselves with. They went down their own paths for a while. These moments, in this episode in particular, are them coming back and genuinely connecting. It could almost be chalked up to a genuine slip-up out of pure desire and emotion between the two.

Brandon, specifically, has a lot on his plate, as well, with the competition… It’s been very tough and very stressful. He’s lost sleep over Idyllwild. He’s worked very hard to produce something that he’s proud of and that’s he satisfied with. Brandon is probably, for lack of a better word, a little strung out at this point. There’s a lot going on for him. There’s bound to be some sort of reaction to what’s going on. Brandon and Callie alone in a cabin, it’s just not a good idea. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Just last week, he was telling the case worker that he loves Callie as a sister. Was he denying his real feelings? Was he trying to protect Callie?
It was a mixture of things. It was definitely him trying to protect her. That’s first and foremost. I don’t know if, in the moment, he felt like he was lying. It might have been more so him almost trying to convince himself. Saying that aloud, maybe he felt like that would make it real. They are 16, and these more serious love matters can be confusing. It’s one of those things where Brandon is constantly trying to navigate the truth there. What is real? And what is maybe from the past? How does he really feel about Callie? He gets caught up, and he gets confused. It’s a hard situation for him.

TVLINE | Something clearly changed for Brandon between that moment on the couch and the end of the episode. What do you think was the straw that broke his resolve?
I think it just culminated. That situation’s too hard. They were left alone for just a little too long. They’re in this other environment outside of the house, so it doesn’t feel wrong there. It was the perfect conditions for something like this to go down. It was the rare case where he did give in. He tried not to. He tried to leave it alone… It was definitely both of them trying to fight off this desire. Like I said, Brandon and Callie in a cabin is a recipe for something to happen.

TVLINE | And it created quite a steamy scene for ABC Family.
[Laughs] Yeah. [Co-creator] Peter [Paige] and [director] Joanna [Johnson] really wanted that scene to be full of desire. Even for me, I was actually surprised the network and the show was going to these lengths. But I think it’ll be an effective scene.

TVLINE | What does the aftermath look like for them in the summer finale?
That’s the ominous cloud hanging over them. They stop for a second and think, and suddenly they realize the repercussions that could take place here. They just chose to ignore everything and just go through with this. So it’s going to be definitely a sense of everything coming back and slapping them in the face.

The other point to make is: They were under the impression that there was no hope for Callie. That is sort of their reasoning. It might not be the greatest reasoning. But they were so tired of that reason, that when that reason was not there anymore, they almost got too excited about it and jumped the gun a little bit and went for it… Things may not pan out the way that they had predicted. So now they’re going to come back to reality. Now they have this sort of regret that they have to share. That’s question: What do they do with that little secret now?

TVLINE | For the sake of the adoption, do they have to keep this quiet from the family?
Possibly. It’s one of those things where Callie assumes a little too much. It’s a matter of whether or not [the adoption] actually plays out like that. If Callie isn’t getting adopted, then I guess they have nothing to worry about. There is a complication in the last episode, for sure.

1. Mike R. says:

I threw up

• Josh says:

Same here. Not only does Callie consider Lena/Stef her mothers, but they strongly consider Callie to be their daughter.

• Benington says:

Why! they are not related. They were both put into a forced situation to act as brother and sister and when their was/is an undeniable attraction and I believe they are in love. (whatever that means as a teenager. I think the real problem is that they are being forced to deny their feelings and live under the same roof as “brother and Sister”. Did they really think their feelings were just going to disappear!!! I think Callie should move in with her dad, Lena and Stef and the other kids with always be family and she can date Brandon. Aside from this situation, I do agree that Callie constantly makes bad decisions but her feelings are not wrong. THEY ARE NOT RELATED!!!

• Mike R. says:

Stop. They may not be blood related, but would you be ok with Brandon and Mariana hooking up because they’re technically not related. If yes, fun ship your gross incest ship at your pleasure. Callie may not legally be his brother but she calls his moms mom, and his sibling brother and sister. She may not be adopted but she is family. So Brallie will always make me sick to the stomach. They’re chemistry is subjective but honestly I’ve never seen it… The show would be improve so much if they would just drop Brallie for good.

• Benington says:

Just because I do not agree with you, you have to accuse me of advocating incest. It is pretty apparent that your parents must have been brother and sister because they gave birth to an idiot like you!!! The situation is totally different between Callie and Mariana. The Mom’s were not even going to originally adopt Callie when their feelings started to developed and they did not grow up together. So not the same.

• Mike R. says:

It’s not, Callie’s brother is Brandon’s brother so they are family, and for all extents purposes Brandon is her brother. The fact that so much time has past since Stef and Lena doubting their adoption makes my points even more true, and only increases the grossness of that scene.

And really telling me I’m rude for acting like you advocate incest and then you insinuating I’m a product of incest. Do you have zero class…

• Tess says:

No horse in this race but the pearl clutching is quite silly considering the fact that there were romantic sparks between Callie and Brandon almost from the very beginning. How anyone could even see them as true siblings with totally platonic sibling-like feelings for each other after having had a romantic relationship (no matter how short it was) is mystifying to me. It was obvious they were being set up to be the show’s on and off, ‘will they/won’t they’ couple. As it stands they did not grow up together, they are not related and Callie isn’t (and likely won’t be) adopted. Just because some people chose to willfully ignore the more complicated layers of Braille’s relationship because it offended their sensibilities doesn’t mean the writers of the show did.

• Mike R. says:

Yes it was obvious from the beginning and I hated them from the beginning. The show has always been best when they were just siblings.

It is a shame the show core story about Callie being adopted won’t ever happen because some dumb ship. The only complicated aspects of their relationship as how it is the reason Callie won’t ever have a family with Jude and the Foster and I hate that

• Julia says:

I freaking loved this episode. It’s weird to see people hating on Brandon because the tension of this show lies on his shoulders. What happens when you fall in love with someone but you can’t love them? From season 1, it has been Brandon’s struggle to fight his feelings just so that Callie can be happy. That he loves her so much that he has to shove his feelings down so she can have what she always wanted and needed. A family…which horribly enough just so happens to be his family. The real crux of this show the question for Brandon, can you love someone so much that it can overcome the fact that you’re in love with them.

Truthfully, after their first kiss, his moms should have instantly known that this was not an appropriate place for adoption. As sweet and loving as this family is, they are not the only family there. Shockingly, we find out Callie has a loving father and family who actively pursue a relationship with her. For those who rail against Brallie happening, really the truth is, the losing fight was the adoption into a family where everyone already knew you had a relationship with someone in that family. That needs to go away.

• Holly says:

So, agree. From day one I have hated the whole “Braillee” story line.

• Jessica M. says:

Preach!! I completely agree with what you’ve said and I felt the same way about the situation

• Jose says:

they didn’t grow up together, don’t share blood and haven’t lived in the same house for some time ……

• Chester says:

The incest taboo stems from the need to avoid having biological brothers and sisters produce offspring, and it has a biological basis. By that, I mean that is cross cultural and programmed into us.

Although programmed into us, it arises when people grow up together from a young age.

Neither of these circumstances, the biological basis or the shared childhood, apply here.

Social Services would have these stipulation to prevent abuse and other complications.

• H James says:

Really predictable. Did anyone really think Brandon would not win his musical competition?

Now he’s fresh from sleeping with his Dad’s girlfriend and going for Callie. Frankly, it’s getting hard to care. These two characters have broken every rule, every trust placed in them and they seem to just get away with it. Some of the best TV writing in history IMHO is the Jonnor storyline which has simply disappeared.

Jesus is gone and the issues facing Marianna are just glossed over. Frankly, I am tired of Callie and Brandon/AJ/Robert/Rita and her position as a new Nancy Drew. It’s getting stale.

• Jamie says:

Same here. I know they did this so the tweens would get all excited about their favorite couple, but they have been sharing parents and siblings for a while now. I don’t know why Callie always screws herself over because of a cute boy batting his eyelashes at her.

2. LK says:

Cant believe they went there… the actors arent playing the chemistry well enough that this is believable… Callie should be too smart for this… And I dont get why she hasnt just been staying with her dad the past few episodes instead of the group home?

• Sam says:

I thought the same thing at first about her Dad, but Callie is a foster kid which means she has to stay with someone who is a certified foster parent. I think thats why she hasnt been with her Dad.

• kn1231 says:

Social services could easily go to court and get a supervision order for Callie’s father, and most likely would so they wouldn’t directly have to care for her. But that would never happen because that would be too realistic.

3. Tee says:

Callie and Brandon were left alone too long???!!! Um, a few episodes they were alone driving to freaking San Diego!

I wish the show never had them hook up. Once they kissed, that ended the adoption possibilities right there. As viewers, we can never accept a situation where Callie and Brandon are siblings. Ever.

4. Nicole says:

It is frustrating to watch Callie never make a good decision for herself or anyone in her life. It’s like she’s adverse to having good things happen to her. Also who keeps leaving them alone!

• Tee says:

I thought there would be some true self-reflection after last week when Jude asked Callie, “Why do you keep doing this?” after he discovered that Callie kissed AJ (and in the past had a relationship with another foster brother that resulted in rape). Previous seasons made it seem like it was her goal to be adopted alongside Jude, but once the reveal that Robert was her father, it seemed like a different show. And I’m so over the “coincidence” with ABC Family’s shows…AJ’s brother involved with the season-opening car accident on “The Fosters,” and then Brenna going to a public school that now educates the boy she donated bone marrow to on “Chasing Life?!” Geez, it’s almost like the total population of San Diego and Boston is 10. Hell, I live in a much smaller town and I rarely even see the same homeless person around the area!

• Jamie says:

Honestly, I don’t understand why she loves screwing herself over so much. It’s so frustrating to watch.

5. Bwhit says:

I’m wondering what will happen should Robert find out. I would think he wouldn’t be okay with the adoption. I may be in the minority but I think Callie should live with her father and this pretty much cements it in my eyes. Plus, really Stef and Lena? You thought having Callie and Marina staying up there was the way to go? It’s like they practically gave them permission lol.

• LK says:

I agree she should be with her father… He’s a good guy.. and the fact that shes now in a group home instead of with him is unbelievable.

6. Lucy says:

I for one loved it! I do agree that Callie keeps on making dumb decisions but to be fair she didn’t have any good role models growing up. I think she is doing her best right now and her and Brandon have such good attraction between them, I just love their story, it is modern and confused, I just love it. I can’t wait to see how they handle it next week. But I really enjoyed how they showed the whole thinking about it then going to her bedroom thing, thank you! worth the wait.

• Jean says:

Love this and feel the same way!! Great show and I love their chemistry. Brandon and Callie are meant to be together and she can still call them Mom when they marry.. LOL

• LK says:

Chemistry? Brandon has been portrayed as a spoiled brat for the most part on the show… part of that might be cause the actor really is not very good at expressing emotions other than petulance… but there is no chemistry between them.

• Tee says:

I feel like those who are throwing the term “chemistry” around are probably teens/early-twenties who just think David Lambert is cute. As someone who is nearing 40, I can absolutely say there is no “chemistry” between the actors or their characters. It’s lust. Big difference. And “chemistry” needn’t be defined solely as sexual, FYI. And really, there are more than enough characters on this show to create drama for, without having to constantly return to the Callie-Brandon thing every season. I would have much rather watched season dealing with everyone in the house adjusting to an infant (RIP Frankie) than this same-old teen romance BS.

• BTW says:

Girl in her early-twenties here that completely agrees. They are two lusty teenagers that keep making stupid decisions that have very real ramifications. Lots of people have this “chemistry” that people keep claiming Callie and Brandon have, but it doesn’t mean they should throw common sense out the window. It’s always depressing to watch people wreck their lives because of a temporary warm feeling they might get.

7. Tiffany says:

I hated it. Thought they were done with this Callie and Bradon mess. But it ok because I give up on Callie getting adopted long time ago.

• emily says:

they were never done with brallie. anyone with eyes could see that. brallie is such a popular ship. they would be idiots to give up on them.

8. Jose says:

LOOOOOOVED BRALLIE FINALLY SEALING THE DEAL!!!!

BTW they didn’t grow up together so they don’t feel the bond of siblings… they don’t share blood and they love in different houses…. GO FOR IT BRALLIE!!!!!

9. Lauren says:

It’s been obvious since ep 1 that at some point these two would have sex and that would derail her placement with the Fosters. So people that are surprised refused to see what the show practically telegraphed with laser beams from day 1. Because of David and Maia’s chemistry, that wait killed me. But damn that scene was worth it. I hope the show finally picks a lane and has them a couple dealing with the fallout with his family next season. Not a teen but a sucker for tortured teen couples and they are the epitome.

• Kani Kelly says:

I am with you Lauren,just hope not another break up and regrets on their part.Sick of one and off relationship either go with it or end for good.

• Sheila says:

Agreed. Scene was great. Chemistry was there. David plays Brandon’s intensity really well. Loved it. Can’t wait to see the fallout. Callie should live with her dad. I disagree with the “pearl clutchers” on this one.

10. adam says:

I don’t care what happens anymore, if Callie gets adopted or ends up with Brandon. I just want Callie to get a break, to have something go easy for her just once, without lifelong consequences. Seriously, why does everything always have to go so badly for her, every time she makes a bad decision it has to have major consequences that never really go away. Unlike almost everyone else on the show who’s bad decisions seem to have shorter consequences. Brandon sells fake ids and bribed Anna. His consequence is getting attacked and losing his ability to play music, accept he can still play music and he gets himself kicked out of the camp and gets right back in, breaks the rules in tonight’s episode and wins. Mariana was a drug dealer, didn’t notice any major consequences for that, Jude broke into a house and Connor got shot, yet apparently everything was fine and their were no major consequences. Yet every time Callie makes a bad decision she gets a major consequence, going to juvie twice, getting sent to a group home, getting removed from the fosters house more than once. Now even though she wanted to be part of a family more than anything and deserves it after everything she went through being locked in rooms and raped, she’s going to lose all of that because she slept with Brandon. Also, I’m sure Brandon’s consequences will be minimal at best, if their even are any. Just wish things would go easy for Callie after everything she’s been through just once.

11. cyclone says:

From the beginning the pairing of Brandon and Callie was a mistake but for some reason TPTB want it to work. Aside from the tweens that watch that would swoon over anything, no one is for Brandon and Callie. And it was terribly inappropriate how far they took it.

12. Columbus says:

Terrible move for the show. Callie self-sabotages once again and blows her chance to be adopted by her forever family – the one which adopted her beloved brother. Completely changes the direction of the show in a very poor way. What happens when their teenage True Love falls apart?

13. CJ says:

Just let her get adopted already..I am not rooting for a Callie/Brandon romance

• Tee says:

Yes! It’s called “The Fosters,” not freaking “The Fosters (plus the one girl who can’t be a Foster because she keeps kissing all her brothers)”

14. Amanda says:

I knew this would happen with Brandon and Callie since I started watching the series. It was obvious just from the writing and when you compare “The Fosters” to every other teen drama that’s been around. They are the main teen couple just like the Dawson, Joey, Pacey triangle from “Dawson’s Creek”, Buffy and Angel originally in “BTVS”, the original couples in “BH90210”, Ryan and Marissa from “The OC”, and many more. It was going to happen since the pilot. I really liked the way it was done and I’m happy with it. I agree that Callie really should be living with her dad. I’m hoping she does move in with him, which she should have already and not been with Rita or the group home. I never thought the Fosters would actually adopt her and if/when Brandon and Callie come clean about them being together it’ll be much better that way. They can actually date each other and not have to worry about it, but Callie will still always be considered a part of the family even if her relationship with Brandon lasts or not.

• Tee says:

As much as I like Kerr Smith and think he’s an okay actor and would be a good dad, I’d only accept him as a part of the show and place for her to live if Sophia and her mom moved away, which couldn’t happen, because Robert is a nice guy and wouldn’t just abandon Sophia.

15. brandydanforth81 says:

I’m trn-I Lfe Brallie as a romantic couple but I also want Callie happy,to have a good home& good family,to be adopted.Its been obvious that Brallie is the endgame couple( other than Stef & Lena)& that Callie’s adoption will be delayed til the series finale so Brallie can happen

16. No Brallie says:

Even putting aside the family dynamic and the fact that Brandon and Callie should not be together because of their familial status, the two are just so wrong for one another. They constantly make terrible decisions and throw away each other’s lives for one another – which the show clearly wants us to think is romantic, but is actuality just making both characters respectively less likable.

I swear, some episodes it seems like Callie has grown so much as a character since the first episode. And then others, she just reverts to self-sabatage.

I sincerely hope that by the end of this season, Callie is decisively adopted or not adopted. This “will she, won’t she” that the show has been playing is getting very old.

17. Emma says:

Callie needs a family way more than she needs a stupid boyfriend!!

18. I love the show but every year the writers aren’t fair with callie her life is so much drama

19. Tee says:

So I guess the writers all have Blackberries or androids or something, because you can trim voice memos on an iPhone. If all they needed to do was have Carmen say she lied about Rita, why not just trim the memo so the whole Callie-Brandon restraining order violation thing was never recorded?

20. Vat Shea says:

I don’t think that they actually did it. It was just fantasy. They went to separate rooms wishing they had done it..

21. Amanda says:

I think the adoption by Steph and Lena was too ambitious and it still is.. The scene was beautiful and complicated. They are both 17 nearly adults so this was bound to happen. They are not brother and sister. They do not see eachother as brother and sister. I honestly believe Callie would be best living with her dad and going to visit the family and Jude.

• Felicia says:

I agree, honestly I think that once the Fosters realized that Brandon and Callie had romantic feelings for each other, adopting Callie should have been off the table. Lena/Stef should have realized that they weren’t dealing with robots and that they were not going to just reprogram those teenagers and make them stop having feelings for one another in an instance. Callie should have been placed with her father.

22. Haley says:

I bet next season it starts with Callie being pregnant.

23. Trinity says:

I absolutely LOVE Brallie!!! Other people may think that they are a cliche teen couple, My friends and I have never tired of watching their obvious chemistry. And as I am hoping for a happy ending for them to end up together, but I do agree Callie needs a family. But I think Stef and Lena, the rest of the family and even Robert will always be there for her as her family no matter the legal standings. I think Callie and Brandon are not related, and didn’t even really grow up together, so my vote is for them to end up together!

24. Innan Gomez says:

I would not care if you had sex with Brandon
    I just welcome you with open arms
    And never mentioned it
    Just keep it the low Brandon and callie
    Plz

25. Amanda says:

I love Brandon and Callie together, that is the best part of the show. I would like to see them be together. It is so annoying to see them admit their feelings time after time and then ignore them and move on. Callie should be pregnant so they cant ignore their feelings anymore.

26. Jackie bonds says:

They should have callie become pregnant wuth brandons child would be very intersting