Teen Wolf's Ryan Kelley Talks Parrish's Big Reveal, That 'Disgusting' Lydia Kiss

Ryan Kelley has some very good news for Teen Wolf fans: the cat — or whatever Parrish turns out to be — is almost out of the bag.

“You will get many of the answers you’ve been waiting for [before Season 5A ends],” Kelley tells TVLine, including the truth about Parrish’s supernatural side. (Kelley famously turned down executive producer Jeff Davis’ offer to find out what Parrish is last season, but now that the reveal has been scripted, he no longer has that luxury.)

Read on for more hints about Parrish’s true nature, the inside story on last week’s Lydia-Parrish love scene and whether or not Kelley believes his character can be trusted moving forward.

TVLINE | Take me back to the moment you found out what Parrish is. What was your reaction?
I think Jeff just randomly walked up to me while I was passing time by myself on set. He just hit me with it, then walked away like nothing happened.

TVLINE | Was it at least a creature you’d heard of?
Yes, but I’m a big nerd, so there are a lot of things I’d been speculating about, which I don’t think people would have known. I love everything supernatural, Greek mythology, all that. I had a pretty good handful of things I thought Parrish was, so it didn’t shock me.

Teen Wolf ParrishTVLINE | We mostly see Parrish naked, covered in stuff, carrying bodies to the Nemeton. How long does it take you to get ready for those scenes?
It took forever in Season 4, like two-and-a-half hours, because they had a different way of doing it. This season, they got it down to like an hour; the special effects guys on this show are amazing. … There’s still the awkward part where I’m in a flesh-colored Speedo and they’re putting black stuff all over my butt. Plus, it takes about an hour to take it off after everyone else wraps. I made the mistake of going home without taking it off on set — they have special solution for that — and even after showering, I still had stuff on me for weeks. Someone was like, “What’s that black stuff behind your ear?” I was like, “Oh my God, I swear I’m clean.”

TVLINE | How was your first big Teen Wolf make-out scene?
[Laughs] I don’t know if that counts as the first. Like his kiss with Lydia in Episode 1, this was a figment of Parrish’s imagination, or the Doctors toying with him. Holland Roden is an amazing actress, and I knew her before Teen Wolf, so it’s funny that we’re now pretending to be romantic.

TVLINE | It definitely wasn’t a traditional encounter. How long did it take to film with all that makeup for Lydia?
As horrible as it looked on TV, it was a hundred times worse actually filming it. We had to do multiple takes from multiple angles of her basically sucking my face off. You see it really quickly on camera, but it took forever, and it was not that much fun. She was covered in slime and blood and it was disgusting. Holland’s a trooper for getting in that makeup for that one scene.

Teen Wolf ParrishTVLINE | Beyond their physical encounters, Parrish and Lydia have a strong connection, which only seems to be getting stronger. Can you explain it?
Parrish is a little bit older than Lydia, but she’s also wise beyond her years. She’s extremely intelligent, and I think her character is more mature than most girls her age, which helps his connection with her. It’s not for sure that they’re going to be romantic, but he’s been having these hallucinations, which I don’t find to be strange at all — she’s a beautiful girl and he’s a male. A huge part of their connection is also that Lydia is trying to help Parrish figure out what he is, so he’s very vulnerable. Is he dangerous? Is he not? What makes him tick? It’s the same thing Lydia went through when she found out she’s a banshee, so she’s helping him baby-step his way through this.

TVLINE | At this point, would you label Parrish a good guy? A villain? Somewhere in between?
He’s kind of in limbo right now. You see him carrying these bodies and you’re not sure if he’s working with the Doctors or not. We’ve been getting more questions about Parrish, rather than answers. So I honestly don’t know, but I think he’s good. He works in the sheriff’s department and he was in the military, but this supernatural twist — him not knowing what he is — might change that. Anything’s possible on Teen Wolf.

TVLINE | Would you want to have Parrish turn out to be the next big threat?
I’m OK with him being evil, as long as I live. I just don’t want to get killed off.

Teen Wolf fans, what do you think Parrish is? Are you hoping for more interactions between him and Lydia? Drop a comment with your thoughts below. (Also, note: Kelley will be live-tweeting Monday’s episode through GoGoGab, using the hashtag #RyanGab.)

1. Sam says:

I stopped watching after season 3, and this is exactly the reason. Davis can’t reveal something in a few episodes when a few seasons will work. Want to see Lydia figure her shizz out? Wait five seasons. Want to see Styles get a girlfriend? Wait three and a half seasons.

By the time Davis figures it out, it’s hard to care anymore. He’s the MTV Ryan Murphy.

• Patience. There’s nothing wrong with slow burning narratives.

• Tai says:

Especially when they have a satisfying payoff. I’m dying to know what Parrish is but I’m enjoying the buildup. It’s fun speculating and guessing. Then again I also loved the buildup for Lydia too. It was interesting watching her figure out who and what she was and how she could factor into the pack. The first five minutes of the season premiere proved to me at least that it was worth the slow burn.

• Eva says:

Well written slow burning narratives? I’m all for that. Narratives, where you can actually see the creator use any available plot device, whether it makes sense or not, just to make sure he has enough filling to push the reveal as far as possible? No, thanks. Teen Wolf was great entertainment for the first two seasons, but the moment Davis believed himself to be the second coming (and you could clearly see it mirrored in his work), it became unbearable to me.

2. Ian says:

This show has gotten way too random. There have been much stronger seasons and story arcs. I really like Ryan, but its obvious theyre just treading water with this Lydia relationship, and he hasnt had much purpose as a character.

3. I really like Parrish so I hope he doesn’t turn out to be evil and more like being used for some purpose because of what he is. I also hope he doesn’t actually end up with Lydia since it’s about time for Stydia already.

4. Ash says:

Ahhh I’m dying to know what the beautiful deputy Parrish is!! So many theories…top 3 are: 1) dragon-I don’t know why but I’ve been stuck on that idea since he walked into the sheriff station naked last season; 2) hellhound-never even thought of this until someone else mentioned it and it does make sense with the wild hunt statement and caring for the dead, or 3) nephlium-half angel half human also makes sense with heavenly fire and the burning bush stuff from the bible. I adore him and Lydia. I will always want Stiles and Lydia together the most but if it’s never going to happen then I am 100% okay with Parrish and her :) I really don’t believe he’s evil or will become evil people just don’t need to get in his way when he’s trying to cremate a dead supernatural creature lol

5. deputywifey says:

Yes,i love Ryan, i love Parrish so I really hope that he won’t turn out to be evil. But if he even will be the next bad boy in Teen Wolf I’m okay with that – as Ryan said – as long as Parrish is alive I’ll still love him. Also I ship Marrish since episode 4×03 so it’s a long time and I really really hope he and Lydia will end up together bc I’m really sick when ppl only talking about Stydia *yuuuck*.

• Radha says:

Well I’m sick of people encouraging a relationship between a grown man and a teenage girl, but to each his own. Yep, Lydia is 18 and apparently now fair game like she’s ripe fruit for the picking. How come TV shows don’t portray some teens like actual teens and not the adults playing them is another story. When I was 18 I would never have thought of dating a man in his twenties, even if I was considered legal.

• Meadz says:

I don’t see whats wrong with it..? That’s the thing, why should age matter really? Age is just an easier representation of maturity, but for some people maturity comes sooner rather then later, in this case Lydia, so i say why not!.. Parrish is absolutely perfect for Lydia tbh <3

6. shaun says:

Hmm,he mentioned Greek stories,so he could be a Dyad or a Phoenix?

• Emmanuel says:

Dryad would be strange since they are forest-bound nymphs(and all are women) and he’s clearly is fire oriented. If they did twist things up and made him a male nymph, I believe there is and underworld/world of the dead type of nymph.
      Pheonix is my guess. The pheonix, as a symbol of rebirth, so death and birth, could be though as a keeper of balance, hence why he instinctively take the dead chimeras and burns them to ashes. And why we saw so much dead bodies when we saw him burn the dead. It could be the “aberations” his prior incanations destroyed.

• Cathy says:

I’ve been thinking Phoenix as well!!!!!

• Ilana says:

I was thinking a Jinn also…. even though its islamic…. or a salamander. phoenix is a good one. but who knows he could be a demon….. not all demons are bad….

• Paula says:

In Wolf Watch, JD said they take a lot of their stories from Greek mythology and now RK is saying the same thing. So I think that’s a big clue along with, what is super strong, resistant to fire, and can be controlled by others? I think another big clue is how young he looks.

7. Jaye RM says:

Judging by tonight’s episode title, “Ouroboros”, I’m guessing that Parrish is a dragon.

• ScottJ says:

Ryan’s comment about the reveal would seem to suggest its something rather obscure. Dragon wouldn’t be obscure. Even a phoenix wouldn’t be obscure – and Davis already stated on Wolf Watch last year that Parish is not a phoenix. I’ve trawled round various mythologies on and off, and don’t really have a theory though. There’s a lot of fire demon type things (ifrits / efreets and others) but none seem to fit very well.

8. Jessie says:

Honestly I don’t see any other connection but supernatural for lydia and parrish. They just made their scenes “romantic”, which was cringe-worthy for me to watch. So, I really hope their relationship stays platonic as in friends and nothing more..

9. Maryann says:

I just want Parrish to end up on the side of the good guys.

10. teen wolf fan says:

115 i think stands for the highway kira will use in 2days episode 2 get 2 the airport.

11. teen wolf fan says:

115 is the highway kira will use 2 leave beacon hills

12. TeenWolfLover223 says:

I think he’s a salamder

13. Jim says:

Ryan Kelley from MEAN CREEK?!?!

That was a great film. I didn’t know he still acted, and was on Teen Wolf.

14. Mono Poly says:

“he’s been having these hallucinations, which I don’t find to be strange at all — she’s a beautiful girl and he’s a male” Yes, an officer of the law should openly perv on a barely legal teenager. Parrish may not be creepy, but Ryan Kelley is.

• Paula says:

So a man is not supposed to be attracted to a woman? “Legal teenager” still equals an adult. Lydia said herself she wasn’t gonna date teenage boys anymore, probably because they are too immature for her. So her and Parrish make a perfect fit!

• diana says:

what kind of man would go for a girl that’s still in high school? fine, be attracted to her, that can’t be helped, but quit romanticizing a high school student whom has less experience in the world. This guy has finished college, went to war & came back. Lydia still hasn’t finished high school & her “maturity” still doesn’t change the whole power imbalance. Only paedo’s go for people with less power than them because they know they can be manipulative and controlling. Otherwise, why couldn’t he go for someone that’s at least not in high school? I mean, he’s goodlooking enough, he shouldn’t have any problem? it’s sickening.

15. Ilana says:

So my list has:
    Salamander, Demon, Ifrit, Lampad, Spheryi, Phoenix, Incubus, and Jinn.
    I think he might be a Jinn. Phoenix, Demon, or Salamander but i pull more to Jinn or Salamander.

16. Ilana says:

My list consist of:
    Salamander, Demon, Ifrit, Lampad, Spheryi, phoenix, Incubus, and Jinn

I think he is a Jinn or Salamander buy could be a phoenix or a demon.

17. mareike says:

i dont think that parrish is turning evil maybe he isnt as friendly as he is in human form but he still knows the diffrent between good or evil,and i would be happy to see him get togehter with lydia because they are cute together!!!

18. Mckenzie Hellum says:

I love Jordan and hope he doesn’t turn evil, he and Lydia are perfect for each other and have a strong connection it’s nice seeing a twist in relationships we have had straight and gay relationships along with the same age. There is nothing wrong with a 18 year old dating a 24 year old there are a lot relationships like that and it is legal. I think that stydia won’t work if Lydia ends up with Stiles it will make things awkward between Stiles and Malia and Lydia and Malia and it wouldn’t be fair to Malia because she deserves Stiles heart. A relationship doesn’t work when the girl is ignoring the guy and dating other guys then when that guy gets a girlfriend she starts having feelings for him and if Lydia truely had feeling for Stiles she would’ve told him because she knows he likes her and did they ever talk about the kiss after it happened ? No. We don’t need a cliché couple