Fall TV Preview
Agents of SHIELD Season 3

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Elizabeth Henstridge Teases Jemma's Season 3 Fate: 'I Didn't Think They'd Go That Far!'

If Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fans can tough it out until the Season 3 premiere (airing Sept. 29), they won’t have to wait much longer to get the 411 on Jemma Simmons, who in the sophomore finale’s bonus scene was tragically sucked into the mysterious Kree monolith.

“Were going to find out what happened to Simmons pretty quickly,” Elizabeth Henstridge told TVLine on Tuesday night at ABC’s Television Critics Association press tour party in Beverly Hills. “She’s definitely changed by the experience, and what’s happened to her is going to impact the season — kind of as a theme or something like that.”

Henstridge is of course mum on what exactly transpired when Jemma met Kree stone, but says that at the time she filmed the shocking scene, she could not have guessed the eventual outcome, to play out in Season 3. “I didn’t think that they’d go that far with it, honestly,” she shared. “I thought, ‘Shes probably just inside the rock. Stuck.’ But all my ideas are quite boring. [The writers’] imaginations are much better than mine.”

In TVLine’s “What Happens Next?” poll, 34 percent speculated that Simmons was “spat back out” by the stone shortly thereafter, but as a “decidedly different” person — which of course would be a “worst nightmare” scenario for the alien-averse bio-chemist. “It will be interesting to see if her views on Inhumans have changed at all,” Henstridge allows, “and how that alters her relationships with the other people.”

Whatever the case, the actress asserts: “It’s going to be a really great thing for me to sink my teeth into!”

Want more scoop on S.H.I.E.L.D., or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Video: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Cast Talks Mad Max ‘Crossover,’ Time Jump, Simmons’ Whereabouts

1. Amber says:

As long as her and Fitz go on that date, I’ll be happy! The writers have done enough terrible things to Fitzsimmons already, they really deserve a break.

2. James D says:

I’m so stoked for this season. We get to see what happens to Jemma play out and we get Secret Warriors led by a Badass Daisy. Can’t wait.

3. Mary says:

I hope they’re not going to make it a habit to separate Simmons from the rest of the Shield team every season, but it’s twice now that they’ve done that to her. Last season, she started off undercover with Hydra. The third season she’s off inside (on the Kree home world maybe??) that thing.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Simmons has always been my fave since Day 1 but I really hope that she will get out from the dreaded rock creature when the new season begins.

5. I Am Curious, Inhuman.

• ClifT says:

That’s what I’m thinking. She either had the basic bloodline for it already and didn’t know it or the Kree “what ever it is” transforms her into something that before she would’ve feared if it were someone else like Skye.

• Delirious says:

IIRC, didn’t the Kree stone react only to Inhumans? Then again, why didn’t it react earlier, when Fitz was there as well?

Alternatively, could it be the Kree stone that empowers humans to go against Inhumans? And I’m not implying “OMG Captain Marvel!”, because it was already announced that she’d be Carol Danvers in the MCU, but it could go that way…

6. safistikaytdlayd says:

I too, hope they don’t keep Fitz and Simmons apart. I hope this change doesn’t cause her to feel differently about Fitz because I’m still waiting for their date!!! I can’t wait for season 3!!! I love this show!!!

7. Tom says:

I’m beginning to fear that this may be another situation similar to Amy Acker on Angel when she started playing that Blue-haired character I can’t stand that shares its name with an ancient Roman province in the Balkans.

• Carla Krae says:

The ancient god Illyria.

• FromTheAshes says:

Whereas I thought Illyria was an awesome transformation; giving Amy Acker an entirely new character to portray, and hardly seeing a shred of Fred in her. I heard that if the show had continued, they actually intended to “bring Fred back” in a way that would have perpetuated Amy playing both roles in one. I haven’t read all of the comic books, but I know they have already shed a lot more light on Illyria in the post-series continuations. And for purists, it actually counts, as Joss Whedon produces them as additional “Seasons” in comic book form.

8. Joey Padron says:

hope Simmons will be out of rock soon and hope not to be away from the team if the alien rock takes to another world. excited for season 3!

9. Don D says:

I was hoping that they would kill her and Fitz off. This show was unwatchable when it was the original group. They brought in the new bunch of tough characters just to try and jazz things up. My kids and I barely made it through the season — it sat in the DVR for months! Its no Arrow or Flash.

• corey allen says:

you and your kids can go run in frobt of a truck loser

• FromTheAshes says:

Characters don’t need to be killed off to make a show more interesting. If Simmons comes back transformed, she could become a dynamically different character. And already in season 2, she & Fitz had a lot more to offer than they did in the first. I really felt for Fitz, and his newfound disability, which he struggled with. But I was among the viewership that thought they were setting him up with Mack. I was actually surprised they went back to a Fitz-Simmons romance by the finale…

• Temperance says:

I’ve enjoyed the show all along, and I’m pretty picky.

10. BrianR says:

If she’s blue that would be cool then she and Daisy can hook up.

11. Carlie says:

I’m hoping this isn’t another Illyria storyline.

12. Roger says:

If the words ”Why can’t I stay?” leave her lips, then Joss will have demolished me all over again.

13. I’m gonna laugh my ass off if she turns into an inhuman. Especially with how obsessed she became with destroying them all or controlling them. Her character changed into something ugly & I cheered when she got sucked into the monolith. I’ve disliked her since I found out she abandoned Fitz after his accident. That was beyond scummy to me. And then her going behind her bosses backs to shoot Grant when he was technically on their side at the moment. She was out of control. I’m gonna be disappointed if the whole season only focuses on her. =(

14. Jimmy says:

From what Elizabeth says it sounds like another story arc, and really I’m kind of getting tired of that, with all the different side plots. I’d prefer the team just stay together and the show move on. They already did Hydra, and now we’re on Inhumans. So I think we have enough story arcs. Just get on with the mission. But Inhumans is cool and I want to see them pursue that, with Daisy and the team.

• Betsy Baker says:

There are certain timelines they have to follow in order to be inline with the movies coming out. Daisy HAD to be in place in order for the Inhuman movie to start being planned. Whatever is happening with Simmons, I guarantee it’s part of the bigger cinematic picture.

15. So much to look forward to this coming season! Seems like they have a lot to pack in this season, to, and hoping it plays into Civil War some (but not too much…). Much to look forward to in the Marvel tv universe this year.

16. Rachel G says:

I’m thinking what if she is sent to Thanos? They said it’s hard to shoot and a lot of CGI. That would explain that stuff. No matter what, I am excited for the new season!

17. Rami says:

What if… after being pulled into the stone, Simmons doesnt come out on a different location, but instead gets trapped in the Nexus between dimensions? [at least for a few episodes] Hints for Dr. Strange’s set up.

18. I believe that: if you think about it, there have been many people around the artifact in the hull of the ship, even when it destabilized and reformed. there have been many single individuals in the room when it deformed and reformed. but the first time Gemma is in the room, it destabilizes like it always has done. but this time its different. it not only destabilizes, it opens the door (which takes intelligence) and spewed out and grabbed her and drew her in and reformed around her. I honestly believe with all my heart, that this artifact is actually One of THE first crystal that was deposited on earth, or dare I say THE FIRST one. and she is being transformed into an angel of enlightenment, with the nickname “Nightingale” to appease her medical upbringing.

19. I believe that: if you think about it, there have been many people around the artifact in the hull of the ship, even when it destabilized and reformed. there have been many single individuals in the room when it deformed and reformed. but the first time Gemma is in the room, it destabilizes like it always has done. but this time its different. it not only destabilizes, it opens the door (which takes intelligence) and spewed out and grabbed her and drew her in and reformed around her. I honestly believe with all my heart, that this artifact is actually One of THE first crystal that was deposited on earth, or dare I say THE FIRST one. and she is being transformed into an angel of enlightenment, with the nickname “Nightingale” to appease her medical upbringing.

20. Red says:

I did not appreciate the end of season 2. Mainly because Agent Fitz finally had the guts to ask Simmons on a date, but screw his feelings, again.

21. Fitz says: