Fall TV Preview
Sleepy Hollow Headless Horseman Season 3

Sleepy Hollow Season 3: Hasta la Vista, Headless!

Sleepy Hollow‘s Headless Horseman has ridden off into the sunset — at least for the foreseeable future.

New showrunner Clifton Campbell says that the Fox series’ original villain, as well as his alter ego Abraham van Brunt, won’t be seen in the upcoming third season, TVGuide.com reports.

RELATED Sleepy Hollow Exclusive: Shannyn Sossamon Joins Season 3 Cast as ‘Mysterious’ New Series Regular

However, “We have a new framework and a new set of rules for the mythology,” Campbell tells the site, previewing a “more personal threat” to Witnesses Abbie and Ichabod.

He also confirmed Michael Ausiello’s scoop that Zach Appelman will return as Joe Corbin, who, along with Jenny, will “fill out the gang in a much more interesting, emotional way.”

RELATED Blind Item Revealed: Sleepy Hollow/Bones Crossover Eyed for Spring

Neil Jackson, who played Ichabod’s best friend-turned-Hessian superbeast Abraham, recurred in Season 2. His character was last seen when Katrina asked Ichabod and Abbie not to destroy him while she researched how to restore his humanity.

Sleepyheads, does this development bode well or ill for Season 3? Sound off in the comments!

1. No loss considering how badly his character was butchered in S2.

They basically neutered the Headless Horseman in order to make him jealous and lovelorn over Katrina.

• FH14 says:

Pretty much. Hopefully after gaining some distance from S2, the headless version can return in season 4 with some retooling.

• yeah. if they’re gonna bring him back, let him be death incarnate on a fire-breathing steed with a blazing battle axe and a wicked anger-management issue. otherwise, let him go…

2. m3rcnate says:

Just another example of a show that was in dire need from the get-go of having everything written out (or at least in the head of the show-runner & creator).

Also, per usual, the show feels tight and good at 13 episodes the first season, it gets ordered to 18 the next and it feels loose, it has filler, story-lines and character development get a little wonky. The show drifts away from what we loved in S1. :/ catch a hit Hollywood, TV shows thrive at 13 episodes a season. Very few can thrive at 16-22 episodes, and only can when the show-runner & writers have a clear vision and plan for the show (POI, SOA, etc).

Here’s hoping the new show-runner and back to the drawing board attempt to reboot the show works.

3. libkat says:

I will miss the hulking menace of early S1 Headless. I will not miss the whiny b*tch-baby he became once they started in on his obsession with Katrina.

• MelindaB says:

Agreed. Season 2 was a horrible misstep, and I hope that they can get back to the jaw-dropping, make-you-jump moments of season 1. I didn’t mind Hurley…but I won’t miss him. I will miss Irving, though, especially if Captain Whatsername is sticking around.

4. Angela says:

I’m cool with expanding the amount and types of supernatural threats Ichabod and Abbie have to deal with, and I also agree that Headless was at his best as the menacing villain he was when he was first introduced.
    Still, though, he and Ichabod do have a history they still haven’t fully dealt with, and I don’t want that to be completely set aside. And Sleepy Hollow without a Headless Horseman just seems odd. I’m curious how they’ll explain his absence, and what he’s apparently off doing now. Hopefully, if and when the show does kinda sort itself out, they will be able to bring him back, if only for a guest spot or something, and finish out or expand on his story.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Sleepy Hollow move to Thursdays @ 9 is going to be very tough even if people are going to watch it online or On Demand to catch up the day after it airs. Can’t wait to see Nikki Reed in the upcoming season.

6. AW says:

I’m open to the next direction of Sleepy Hollow Season 3 as long as it’s better than Season 2, but I’m sure the headless horseman will return at the right time right place – maybe in Season 4.

• hatterasman says:

There will not be a season 4 unless the series gets better. Season 1 was excellent. It has gone downhill from there. The headless horseman needs to be brought back the way he was in Season 1… terrifying.

7. Drew says:

I’m not sure that a new framework will make sense. The Witnesses are meant to prevent an apocalypse that seems to have been thwarted. I’m curious to see where the show goes now. Last season fell apart. Too many episodes and a story that wasn’t very tight. The stand alone episodes could be pretty bad.

8. Ron says:

I’m happy to say #byefelicia to season 2 Headless. But I will miss season 1 Headless. I’ll always love this show, if anything because of how much I loved season 1 and how much I love Abbie & Ichabod / Nicole & Tom. But this show had a major sophomore slump–like, this show’s picture should be next to the definition of sophomore slump. By distancing itself from season 2, I’m really holding out hope for a strong season 3. I just hope it doesn’t stray too far from what made season 1 great.

9. Jooshua says:

Season 3 hasn’t started.. and I still miss Orlando Jones.

10. Brittney says:

NO! I loved Abraham. Well guess I’m done with Sleepy Hollow. I was hoping he would come back. I would’ve even settled for some flashback scenes.

11. Nick Ernst says:

This show could have been great, but crappy character development and a story that had no idea where it wanted to go really ruined it. There is no continuity whatsoever between the seasons either..the whole thing is ridiculous.

Captain Irving was probably the best character, and he’s just not on the show at all now. :/

12. Dwane Warner says:

I lost interest in the show not having the horseman running around creating a mess of things,bring him back….