Xena Warrior Princess

Lucy Lawless on Xena: Warrior Princess Reboot: 'I'd Love to See it Happen'

Lucy Lawless maintains that she has no involvement in the Xena: Warrior Princess reboot reportedly in the works at NBC — as she tweeted when the news first broke — but that doesn’t mean she’s opposed to the idea.

“If there’s anything current going on, we’re not involved — we being me, Rob [Tapert and] Sam [Raimi],” she told EW.com on Friday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “But [NBC] could be doing it without us; they have the right to, don’t they? … I’d love to see it happen and I know that NBC wants to do it, but they’re just trying to find a way and a time.”

But even if the project does come to fruition, and Lawless is involved, don’t expect to see her back in full Warrior Princess-mode.

“I really couldn’t live that life,” she told the site. “I look back, I’ve got all sort of wear and tear from that lifestyle. That’s just what happens to human bodies when they get used a certain way a lot. I actually couldn’t do it. I’m 47, but there’s somebody great out there.”

Well, now that Lawless has gotten the ball rolling, who do you think could handle slipping into the Warrior Princess’ iconic costume? Drop a comment with your top picks below.

1. Cate53 says:

It’ll probably be some young skinny sexy unknown but I’d love to see someone like Missy Peregrym or Adrienne Palicki if someone other than Lucy is going to play Xena. It needs to be someone who can be pretty dark and badass as well as tall and athletic. Also someone who has real acting chops and not just a pretty face!

2. Paula says:

Lucy said she would Love to do a movie but not a series. So bring the original cast back for a movie/movies and then let them turn the franchise over. If NBC does this any other way they will fail.

3. Murica! says:

I’d rather watch the old xena episode than see someone new pretending to be xena. Lucy Lawless is Xena!

4. christine says:

Adrienne Palicki

5. Mahdi says:

Angelina jolie

6. Sherifa says:

I think its about time for a xena movie or Mini series we want he and mostly the world needs a decent female action figure Lucy lawless is the best out here !!!! With Renee oOcconer !!!!

7. Dawn Fulton says:

I’m happy with my Xena on netflix but I’m an old fan of the show. I’d rather see a movie with the original cast than a “reboot”.

8. Demetrius says:

Phoebe Tonkin. I think she can pull it off physically. She’s got the body, the look and the acting chops.

9. BelleAmie47 says:

Who should play Xena? Only the one and only Xena, of course: Lucy Lawless. Renee O’Connor should play Gabrielle. I don’t even understand why there is discussion of “torch passing” or recasting for a reboot instead of a revival. A revival is what we want.

Sigourney Weaver is again playing Ripley. Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny are playing Scully and Mulder. Right now. Why in the world shouldn’t Lucy and Renee also play again the characters that THEY made iconic and unforgettable?

If it’s only because NBC does want a new series that will air for years, then since Lawless isn’t willing to tie herself down (which I understand–the woman has serious acting chops and serious range and she needs to be able to explore both to the fullest–and she never liked filming all those fight scenes, so why would she want to do them for another 5 years?), NBC first needs to make a revival starring Lawless and O’Connor, a la The X-Files only with more episodes(!), and then and only then go on to reboot the series with new characters and cast.

As to the form of such a reboot, Xena’s classical setting is an essential part of the concept. If NBC wants to make a show set in modern (or future) times, they should either come up with an original idea or buy the rights to yet another of the excess of teen dystopian novels flooding the market (since NBC is weirdly stuck on Hunger Games–which is like anti-matter to the matter that is Xena: Warrior Princess, a hopeful show that believes people can change themselves and the world).

I also think the idea of a “NEW warrior princess” who is not Xena but is somehow Xena’s heir is not workable. Rather than a job title, hereditary position, or even a role played by a chosen one (e.g., the slayer), “warrior princess,” like “destroyer of nations,” is Xena’s personal epithet (“a byname or a descriptive word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of a name and having entered common usage”). Xena earned her epithets with her skill in battle and her success at conquering while she was a warlord. They can’t be transferred or passed down.

10. Tom says:

I’m sorry but this is as stupid as when they talked about a Buffy movie without Joss Whedon or Sarah Michelle Gellar and the rest of the TV cast. No Lucy, No Renee, No Rob, No Xena.

11. Agent 86 says:

I think it’s possible for fans to see Lucy Lawless and Renee O’Connor reprise their original roles as Xena and Gabrielle and for NBC to relaunch a “rebooted” series with a Katniss-esque heroine. They should simply bring back the original Xena and Gabrielle for a TV movie or mini-series which gives Xena and Gabrielle the chance for one last adventure before riding off into the sunset together AND also introduces a new, protégé “Warrior Princess” for Xena and Gabrielle to train who can then headline the ongoing, spin-off series.

That seems like the best way to make everyone happy!

12. Viva says:

I say they check out the comic cons for someone. people there almost always do a fantastic job.

13. katelin says:

If you can’t do a series with the original cast, you have to do a revival movie then. We want and need to see Lucy and Renee again. If they don’t have involvement and the happy ending everyone feels was stolen from them, anything new would surely fail. Bring back the originals everyone knows and loves, even if its only long enough for Gabrielle and Xena to reunite and pass the tourch to the next generation.