Chelsea Handler Unapologetic About Burning E! Bridge on Way to Netflix

Chelsea Handler has no regrets about the negative tone she struck on her way out the door at E! last summer.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour about her upcoming four-part Netflix documentary series, Chelsea Does, and subsequent untitled talk show, Handler remained unapologetic about the shots she took at her now-former network as Chelsea Lately was ending its seven-year run.

“I was just talking honestly about how I felt, which I’ve always been prone to do and I always will do,” she said. “That’s the good thing about me. I’m always telling the truth.”

Handler added that she is enjoying her pop culture sabbatical (her Netflix talk show isn’t scheduled to bow until 2016). “If you want to exist in this business — and I do — the healthiest thing to do is take a break from it,” she said. “You get out of that headspace, and then you can come back to it with a different perspective.”

She’s still keeping an eye on current events though, and admitted that one hot-button issue in particular would’ve received a lot of play on Chelsea Lately.  “Obviously Rachel Dolezal from the NAACP was a very joyful story for me to watch,” she said. “It was beyond ridiculous, and the commentary on it was beyond ridiculous.”

1. nate says:

Can’t wait

2. Abe Froman says:

Totally classless and just not funny. This woman needs to go away longer.

3. Cory says:

I miss her E! show though, it was great to have both her and The Soup to make fun of the very network they were on (and the only two things I watched on the network).

4. Ron says:

I don’t care what anyone says, I love Chelsea and am anxiously awaiting both her Netflix docu-series and talk show. I just wish she were on a show now so I could hear her go off on the likes of Donald Trump and Mike Huckabee, to name a few.

5. Will says:

Liked Chelsea Lately, strongly disliked her Uganda Be Kidding Me stand-up on Netflix. It just felt extremely mean spirited; as if she wasn’t engaged and could not be bothered. It wasn’t fun, in the vein of how her show was.

6. Jen says:

Slice it any way you want, she’s ungrateful. She started Chelsea Lately in 2007 and towards the end 2011, she signed a 2-year, $25 million dollar deal. It signed her on through 2014. She had been doing her show for 4 years at that point and knew exactly what her show was, what the network wanted from her, what the network wanted her show to be, and how the network operated as a whole. When her deal ended in 2012, she could have walked away, but she didn’t. She decided to stay with the network for another 2 years. And guess what she did throughout those 2 years, especially towards the end of her run? Bashed the network and took jabs at them every chance she got. It’s just so funny how she hated being at the network and doing her show, but she had no problem whatsoever collecting those checks for that sweet little $25 million dollar TV deal. This whole situation just goes to show how tactless and classless she truly is. I used to be a fan, but she just continues to become more unlikable every time she opens her mouth.

7. Valerie Tower says:

Love Chelsea! Can’t wait for her new show. No apology needed.