Scandal Season 5 Spoilers

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Supernatural, Good Wife, Shameless, iZombie, Scandal, Supergirl and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Do you have any scoop or casting news on Brooklyn Nine-Nine? I can hardly wait to find out who the new captain will be. —Addie
Ausiello: Prepare not to be disappointed. “Everyone is going to be really happy with who the new captain is,” assures exec producer Mike Schur. “And the way that the [Sept. 27 Season 3 premiere] is conceived, that is far from the final surprise. It takes a lot of fun story twists and turns, in very rapid succession, once the new captain is announced. It’s going to be a really funny and good episode.”

Question: I would love some scoop on Supernatural. —Frances
Ausiello: Later in the season, a two-part “bottle” episode will find Sam and Dean “in the same location, building off the same case,” shares EP Andrew Dabb, adding that the arc will “create a little bit of serialization we don’t do a lot of.”

Episode 407Question: My wife and I just finished binge-watching all five seasons of Shameless. What a fantastic show, but now we are going through some serious withdrawal. Any inside info on Season 6? —Chris
Ausiello: The Showtime drama comedy will introduce Sammi’s (Emily Bergl) never-before-seen mom, Queen — AKA the “earthy, sensual, flouncy, flamboyant and joyous” woman Frank (William H. Macy) had a one-night stand with decades ago. Casting is underway for a “zaftig” actress in her 50s who is comfortable with nudity and sexual situations and doesn’t mind being called zaftig.

Question: Bridget Regan tweeted a photo of her on the Good Wife set — any intel on her character? —Samantha
Ausiello: The Jane the Virgin villainess guest-stars in the Season 7 premiere as Madeline Smulders, a plaintiff in an estate case. I’m guessing she’s a client of Alicia’s, based on the below photo, which Julianna Margulies posted on Facebook (that’s Regan sitting in Alicia’s new office).

CKEI6yyWcAA_NsQ

Question: I recently read that the new Twin Peaks has been increased to 18 episodes now —how true is this? —Nathan
Ausiello: It’s a fluid situation (isn’t it always with David Lynch?), but I’m hearing the same number being batted around. Although a source cautions that “it may be 18 total hours” as opposed to 18 episodes (meaning a few of the installments could be super-sized).

Question: Do you have any scoop regarding Liv’s love life on iZombie? —Muriel
Ausiello: If you’re carrying a torch for Liv and Major, you should probably toss it in the nearest wastebasket. “They have no chance,” exec producer Rob Thomas declared at Comic-Con. Was he being facetious? All is revealed in the video below! BONUS SCOOP: iZombie is casting Blaine’s polished, articulate, sardonic, wealthy and, most importantly, disapproving father Angus. Expect a very strained family reunion.

Question: Any scoop yet on what’s in store for Supergirl? —Stefanie
ReactronAusiello: A whole world of hurt around Episode 3. That’s when infamous DC villain Reactron is poised to take aim at Kara. The nuclear-powered, exoskeletal chest-plated madman has a long-held grudge against Superman, but, for some reason, it’s his cousin he’s striking out against (possibly because she has her own TV series and Superman doesn’t). Fun bonus fact, free of charge: In the Superman: New Krypton comic, Reactron is responsible for the deaths of Kara’s parents.

Question: Does Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s casting on The Good Wife make him unavailable for a third season of Extant? He’s been a great addition to the show. —Josh
Ausiello: You’re assuming there will be a third season of Extant. (Have you seen those ratings?) If by some miracle the show does live beyond Season 2, the chances are good that Morgan will be involved. “They have approached and wouid like me to come back,” Morgan tells me. “And I would be hard-pressed to not go back and work with Halle [Berry] again.”

Question: Huge fan of Bates Motel — any scoop? —Sal
Ausiello: Word around the ice machine is that there will not be a time jump between the Season 3 finale and the Season 4 premiere, which I’m fairly certain would be a first for the show.

EvanresizedpromopicQuestion: Anything on Beauty and the Beast Season 4? —Maria
Ausiello: Max Brown — AKA Cat’s morgue crush Evan Marks — is returning for an episode. Which is notable mostly because the character is, you know, dead.

Question: Any more new faces coming to The Originals in Season 3? –Jess
Ausiello:
How about two more faces, Jess? The show is currently casting for Van, a male witch in his early 20s, who reluctantly becomes involved in New Orleans’ supernatural politics when a loved one is murdered. Then there’s Tristan, a vampire who shares a “long and complicated history” with the Mikaelsons. Tristan is loyal to a fault and ruthless against his enemies; as for whom he takes to bed, let’s just say he might not discriminate.

This AAnd That…
♦ Did I already mention that a pivotal CSI character is getting killed off in the upcoming two-hour finale? (Technically, he/she will already be dead when the episode begins.)
Scandal scoop: I’m hearing OPA’s first Season 5 client will be British royalty.
Virginia’s demon spawn of a teenage daughter is taking all the joy out of Masters of Sex.
Robert Patrick confirmed to me at Comic-Con that Agent Doggett will not turn up in Fox’s forthcoming X-Files revival. I’m going to assume the same is true for Annabeth Gish’s Reyes.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman, Rebecca Iannucci, Kim Roots and Andy Swift)

1. Columbus says:

I hope that the pivotal CSI character who is already dead is Finn.

• Dean says:

well since Elizabeth Shue wasn’t slated to come back for the tv movie that seems like it. Or it could be Nick since George Eads isn’t returning either.

• Dude says:

Since they had to do a last minute rewrite due to George Eads decision, I’d say no unless that rewrite was changing the whole script.

• Tim says:

I think it has to be someone big in order to get the other characters to come back. Doc Robbins would get Grissom and Catherine to come back to help the case or whatever.

• shutuprob says:

Brass seems to me to be the most likely choice, given that show’s format requires the victim to be portrayed in flashbacks. The victim would have to be someone important enough to the team and/or to Grissom to be able to get Grissom back. In that context, while I wouldn’t discount Lady Heather being the victim, I think the most likely range of possibilities would be a member of the team who worked with Grissom or someone else close to the team that Grissom would be close to. Eads declining to come back rules out Stokes and I think that the showrunners want to keep Catherine around — and Sara as well. And they already went to that story well with Ecklie’s daughter. With Warrick long dead, that leaves Greg and Brass. I’m going with Brass because his overall story arc has been so tragic to begin with.

• thisismenow says:

Gil is the only one who makes sense with Lady Heather being involved in it. Why include her in the series finale? She wasn’t that important of a character in the franchise and her biggest ties are to Gil.

2. JDH says:

Supergirl is Superman’s cousin, not sister 😊

3. Concerned says:

I hope we at least get an update on dogget then

4. Dres says:

Damn Shonda moves fast lol how will Olivia get the Queen out of this Nazi scandal? :D

• Will says:

zing! I was planning to no longer watch Scandal after the atrocious 4th season, but the opener makes it sound like they are getting back to doing actual cases! Call me intrigued if they are, I mean… that’s what made me enjoy the show in the first place (Seasons 1-2! The best!).

5. 1) It’s spelled “saftig” and you have a word for it: juicy.
    2) Kara (Supergirl) is Kal’s (Clark/Superman) cousin, not his sister.

6. Al says:

Now that B613 is dead I wonder what new conspiracy Scandal will have

• David4 says:

Home fully something better and not as drawn out. Scandal is best when it’s fast pace and shocking. Not eye rolling as season four was.

7. Brian says:

I’m not feeling Virginia’s teenage daughter on Masters Of Sex either.

8. Katrin says:

So ‘Tristan’ is going to bed Josh then on THE ORIGINALS?

9. AddieM says:

Thank You for answering my Brooklyn 99 Question..super stoked :-)
    “Everyone is going to be really happy with who the new captain is,”…Now I’m more curious than ever…I cannot see the precinct being happy with a Captain who is not Holt.. who could that be. Can’t wait

• rarefied says:

I think that comment means the viewers will be happy about who he is, not necessarily the characters. I’ve seen a lot of speculation/hoping that it might be Nick Offerman, for example.

10. Ian says:

Can Max Brown go back to Sleepy Hollow, please? I need Orion back to help drown out this ‘sexy Betsy Ross’ travesty.

11. AddieM says:

“Virginia’s demon spawn of a teenage daughter is taking all the joy out of Masters of Sex”…you can say that again, she’s a nightmare..

12. Sheldon W. says:

For your consideration for TV Shows That Imploded In Season 2: Roswell. Jason Katims created a version of the high school is hell trope using aliens instead of demons and vampires and built up a show with some compelling characters who came together in a fun and unique way and then, when they had enough problems with practically everything in the world outside their group, in Season Two he deconstructed every good thing he’d done in season one and turned a great show into a quivering mass of protoplasm that never quite recovered – despite Ron Moore’s epic effort to save the show in season three.

No. I’m not bitter. Why do you ask?

• Steven says:

I respectfully disagree. I loved the second season, maybe even more than the first. I was one of the few people who liked Tess, until she became homicidal. The second season had more of a Buffy feel, which is probably why I prefer it. Season 3 is where Roswell completely imploded. The episode with Michael and the Snapple is something I’m still trying to erase from my memory.

• shutuprob says:

I hadn’t seen Roswell until I caught it on a basic cable channel a couple of years after it was cancelled, within a year or three after Grey’s Anatomy started. My reaction to it was that it imploded in season 3, what, with Katherine Heigl being expected to act for both her and the complete non-entity Adam Rodriguez (who to this day is a complete non-entity) in a way that kind of previewed Kristen Stewart being expected to act for both her and Jacob Lautner in hte Twilight movies — as well as the scuttling of Emily DeRavin’s character. The retooling of the show at the top of season 3 trashed both of the previous two seasons. They completely lost the tracks of both Izzie’s story and Michael’s story and they barely* got Liz and Max back on track toward the end of that third season, but geez, compared to both of the first two seasons, it’s a long, tone-deaf slog that IMO is best thought of as really bad Roswell fanfic. (I know, I know, “really bad fanfic” is a somewhat redundant term, but still . . .) And while I would *like* to say that the show never recovered from killing off Colin Hanks’s Alex, IMO, the real problem is that Ron Moore not only didn’t save the show, he torpedoed it the same Scrubs: Med School torpedoed Scrubs — by sucking all the life out of it. It boggles my mind that the same guy went on to create the masterpiece reboot of Battlestar Galactica.

• JC1 says:

I would also say that season three was where Roswell imploded. I think I might agree that season two isn’t as strong as season one in some ways but until it started going off the rails (killing Alex, making Tess pregnant, making Tess evil) I still enjoyed it. Three, though. No.

13. Erin says:

Here are my suggestions for Sammy’s mom on Shameless Valerie Bertinelli, Fran Drescher and Jennifer Coolidge.

14. cyn says:

I must be a moron, but that Supernatural answer totally confused me. Haha

• Jeff says:

Don’t worry, you’re not. That didn’t make much sense to me. A bottle episode is when the pretty much shoot the whole episode on one set/in one room. TVLine is saying they’re doing that with Supernatural ad it will be a … two-parter?

And the actual quote of “in the same location, building off the same case” doesn’t make any sense at all. Isn’t that… every episode? Haha.

I love the mention of serialization though. The show needs much much much more of that.

• Maire says:

I could be wrong but I remember reading in a recent interview with TVLine that Jeremy Carver and Jensen Ackles mentioned they would be doing an episode entitled Baby that would solely take place in the Impala with I presume just Dean and Sam. That sounds like a classic bottleneck episode to me. I have to admit this intrigues me.

15. nicki says:

Ugh why is Sammi still around on Shameless. I thought after Ian and trying to kill Mickey she would be gone. I really don’t care about seeing her mom, wtf?

16. “Did I already mention that a pivotal CSI character is getting killed off in the upcoming two-hour finale? (Technically, he/she will already be dead when the episode begins.)”
    I am thinking it’s Finn (Elizabeth Shue). I mean at the conclusion of the finale she was in a coma and had been for awhile (something like a month or three months, something long term). It makes sense that the death is her.

• shutuprob says:

While I think Finn is a good guess for this very reason, since Shue isn’t coming back, it seems weird to me that they would kill Finn off in-between episodes like this rather than have killed her off at the end of the season finale. Shue clearly hadn’t wanted to quit the show had it not been cancelled or they would have killed Finn off then. On the other hand, Finn being dead *would* account for a story in which, say, Lady Heather was the victim. I can’t imagine that Grissom would come back for anything less than the death of someone on or close to him or the incarnation of the team that he lead, and Lady Heather definitely falls into that circle of closeness. However, she very well could simply be a consultant on the case. Or even a suspect. So my first choice is that Brass is the death and thus, the case victim, with Lady Heather being a close second choice. And we can’t discount the possibility that both of our theories are true — that Finn has died as the movie opens *and* that Brass is the death and case that brings Grissom back.

17. kmw says:

CSI will be one of the ones who isn’t coming back and as far as Doggett goes I didn’t expect him or Reyes back and I doubt they even bring them up

18. GraceM says:

Probably Elizabeth Shue’s character, Finn, since she’s already in a coma.

19. Dear AA- Annabeth Gish is listed on IMDB for the new XF revival- is that incorrect -can you confirm she won’t be in it?
    Hugs and Thanks
    kelly

20. Kristina says:

I really only checked out iZombie because David Anders was in it, but was really pleasantly surprised. And seeing them all together just reinforces there’s something special going on there. So excited for season 2!

21. Angela says:

If that’s true about the lack of a time jump for “Bates Motel”, that makes me happy, given how last season ended. I much prefer to just pick up right where they left off and see where things go from there!

22. Stephen S. says:

Very disappointed to hear that Agent Doggett/Robert Patrick won’t be back for the X-Files revival. He was a great character and I would have love to see him come back. :(

23. Jared says:

So happy Max Brown is returning to BATB. He was great in S1 and was killed off way too soon.

24. Mara says:

I’m a little worried that Michael seems to be de-aging.

Does he have the Benjamin Button disease? Because he looks like he’s sixteen.

(I mean this in the nicest possible way, I swear.)

25. tigersmurfette says:

sebastian roche as blaine’s father?

26. Blurgh says:

Darn. He didn’t answer my question about Rizzoli and Isles. I need to know if I should quit watching or if things are going to get interesting again. Right now, it’s more light comedy with boring murders than a riveting drama.

27. Lindsey says:

I wish there was a way we could get Lowell back on iZombie. I know Bradley James has a new show, but I wish they didn’t have to kill Lowell, even if it was a beautiful death.

28. Glad Max Brown is back to #BATB but If Evan is alive, putting him to pair with Heather (she had a crush on him), but please NOT ANOTHER love triangle with VinCat, it would be horrible. That almost ruining BATB S2 and made many fans give up

29. jh says:

After making me email you from Twitter you STILL didn’t answer about Jeffrey Dean Morgan and his likelihood of being on Supernatural again this season since he’s been cast in The Good Wife. (I know, you’re busy and get a bazillion questions, I’m just playing the entitled card – but I REALLY would love to see him back on Supernatural.)

30. Hmm…Reactron has always been a Supergirl villain. He has little relation to Superman at all. He first appeared in 70s Supergirl comics, reappeared about 6 years ago when Kara returned post-crisis. So the idea that Supergirl is ‘second best’ when he is one of the few villains that is actually hers traditionally is not good. What’s next, Satan girl is Superman’s jilted ex girlfriend?

31. What!?! I loved Dogget.