Fall TV Preview
Quantico Ratings Premiere

Fall TV First Impression: Quantico

The broadcast networks have more than 20 shows debuting this fall, including a soaring Supergirl, reborn Heroes, reanimated Muppets and sexy Scream Queens. To help you prep, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

THE SHOW | ABC’s Quantico (Sundays at 10/9c, premiering Sept. 27)

THE COMPETITION | NBC’s Sunday Night Football, CBS‘ CSI: Cyber, Showtime’s The Affair and AMC’s Talking Dead

THE CAST | Priyanka Chopra (Mary Kom), Jake McLaughlin (Believe), Josh Hopkins (Cougar Town), Aunjanue Ellis (The Mentalist), Yasmine Al Massri (Crossbones), Johanna Braddy (UnREAL), Tate Ellington (The Mindy Project) and Graham Rogers (Revolution).

THE SET-UP | The FBI’s Quantico training base welcomes a diverse new group of recruits — one of whom will one day be suspected of masterminding the biggest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.

RELATED Fall TV Grid 2015: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | One site out there dubbed this show “Grey’s Academy”; I will do that Shondafication one better by going with “How to Get Away With Treason,” because in addition to focusing on a new class of attractive, romantically eligible trainees, there is a (twirling cheerleader-free) flash-forward element that fuels the dark mystery of who among them will eventually abet in the unthinkable.

The pilot features a shteamy cold open as two characters impulsively hook up, seemingly unaware of their shared destination. From there, an early training exercise affords the recruits (as well as us) a chance to spot the skeletons hiding in assorted closets, as well as get the romantic waters churning. But what made me decide, “I’m on board!” was a closing salvo of twist after twist after twist, including one bananapants reveal that had colleague Vlada Gelman (who didn’t like the pilot as much as I did) and I IMing each other, “What was with that?!”
Quantico_Cast
At first blush, the roster of recruits — led by Chopra and featuring familiar faces such as Greek grad-turned-UnREAL scene stealer Braddy — seems solid, though it is not without its weak links. Meanwhile among the Quantico brass, Dougray Scott came off as miscast when I watched the pilot; sure ’nuff, Hopkins has since replaced him as the FBI’s staff counselor.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Originally slated for Tuesdays, Quantico has been moved to Sunday’s closer spot, where it will mostly vie with NBC football and CBS’ oft-delayed drama lineup. If the cast gains a following and the OMG! twists hold up, the most salient issue may be what sort of lead-in fellow freshman Blood & Oil provides.

RELATED Read First Impressions for CBS’ Supergirl, NBC’s Blindspot

Watch a trailer for Quantico, then vote in our poll below.

1. It’s sounds interesting, but I’m waiting until I can see it to decide if it is.

• bobbie says:

While it may seem interesting, I refuse to watch a show where they won’t even consult with an expert. Come on, everyone knows that the female recruits are now required to wear shirts that are cut down to their navels, ala J Lo’s MTV outfit.

On a serious note, why the cleavage? She’s pretty, you can let her rock all the push up bras you want later, but come on that scene is idiotic.

• bobbie says:

^it’s

Hey Tvline, it’s 2015, why can’t we edit stupid typos and like comments? Though don’t fall for the livefyre trap, they suck beyond belief.

2. m3rcnate says:

And you just turned me off to watching it. Not because you are wrong, but because its easy to believe that you are right. Hate Shonda shows (typical, salacious, all about love triangles and melodrama etc) but was looking forward to a FBI show with a good mystery and a Indian female lead….but nope. If its Grey’s Anatomy but at the FBI, pass!

• stefany says:

Completely agree with you.

• Lyn says:

Ditto. Shonda shows are unwatchable for anyone with taste and/or intelligence. If this is just another evening soap, I’ll pass.

• m3rcnate says:

Exactly. With soaps dying out during the day, soaps have moved into prime-time but are wrapped in a drama’s clothing. It is show well, acted normally (not over acted like daytime soaps) and calmed a bit down, but still when you look at the content its melodrama, love triangles, sleeping with her boyfriends brother, scandal, salacious character arcs, bad character development, etc. They are low class and i will most definitely pass.

• gcw07 says:

Got to agree. I was looking forward to this show from the preview, but if it is basically just another Shonda show, I’ll pass.

• hannah says:

I hate , hate , hate Shonda shows . They all lack good story lines and try to make you not notice it by hitting you over the head with diverse casting and a “look how progressive we are”- attitude .

3. John Davis says:

This show would be perfect on thursday nights, replacing HTGAWM. I’m not talking about quality here, I’m talking about ratings. It would be a explosion after Scandal.

4. star says:

Will definitely watch it. This along with blindspot and limitless are my most anticipated new shows.

5. liame says:

I’m in, especially after the Shondra reference. “YES”!

6. DatDude says:

i was curious about it until the Shonda comments….no interest in any of that.
    I’ll be skipping this now.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Quantico is a must see. It would have been great in the 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot (ABC’s graveyard shift for years) but now it’s on Sundays @ 10 should keep the edge-of-your-seat suspense and plot twist right until the very end. This series is like a mix of Homeland with some Shonda reference in between.

8. ndixit says:

I read that the script for the pilot got great reviews. So its definitely high on my interest level among new shows. Plus, PC is really hot!

9. Amit says:

My girl Priyanka is in it. I can’t not watch it.

• Kevan says:

Yeah, she’s not just pretty, she can act too. Hope it’s a success for her sake. America needs to see more of India’s talent so they can associate it with more than some image of a fluff romantic comedy or item songs.

10. Erika says:

I am not happy because once again I couldn’t watch this trailer on this site due to I don’t live in the US,Im live in Europe btw.NOT FAIR.And watching “illegally” on internet outside of the US is on the rise.

11. Babygate says:

I’m cautiously optimistic but this cast is so good looking that it feels like a CW show that may not be ready for prime time yet.

• jbj says:

Umm, most of the CW’s shows are better than your average network shows (at least in the 1h category). Plus, they give early renewals to shows.

12. Sam Sam says:

I will definitely watch this show.
    Pryanka is gorgeous . Can’t wait. FBI DRAMA, HE’LL YA!

13. Sam Sam says:

Absolutely a go!! Great cast. Female lead. Looking foward to watching

14. Lizo says:

I probably wasn’t going to check it out, but you seem pretty positive about it, so I’ll watch an episode or two. If for no other reason than to find out what the heck that twist is lol

15. Josh Emerson says:

I got to see the full pilot on ABC’s Summer Block Party tour in Detroit. I loved it. I think the comparisons to How To Get Away With Murder are very accurate. That’s the show that it reminded me of, except on a bigger scale since we’re talking about a terrorist attack rather than a murder. It was great. I really liked the cast as well. The lead actress was fantastic.

16. Nitemar says:

I will definitely try it.

17. zac says:

I actually like all of ABC’s new shows. Well based from the trailers… they look good to me.

18. Margo says:

I really like that they cast Priyanka chopra for the lead in this….she has a HUGE following as being one of the top Bollywood actresses and its great once again to see not only a female lead but a cast of diversity!

19. Jane says:

So yet another law enforcement related show where the main actress looks like she should be working the streets not protecting them. This is why I could never watch CSI, Marg Helgenberger with her low cut tops looked ridiculous. Please button up a couple of those buttons so she looks like the right kind of professional.

20. Jared Letos says:

Priyanka Chopra is an Indian film actress and singer, and the winner of the Miss World pageant of 2000.

21. Dennis says:

If it’s anything like HTGAWM, my fav show from last season, then I’m in!!! Love Grey’s. Yay can’t wait!

22. mari johnson says:

Some of these shows we will record for two or three weeks before watching to see how the reviews and ratings are. Especially when a show is on NBC! ABC we might watch after 2 recorded episodes.

23. lemonlime623 says:

Two words for this…Priyanka.Chopra. One of the few reasons I watch Bollywood is because she’s the one who seems to take on the meaty roles, not just the heroine/damsel role. I DIG her, and I hope Hollywood does too.

24. Ally Oop says:

This show does remind me of Rookie Blue and Grey’s Anatomy (two shows I love) but hopefully it’s better than How to Get Away with Murder and Scandal which I found awful (and yes, I gave each of those shows a chance by sitting through the full first seasons of both). I am really excited for Quantico, best-looking new fall show bar none.

25. crappola515 says:

Looks interesting but I seriously hope it’s not going to be one of those shows that drags some big mystery from one season to the next. That gets old quick.

26. mc says:

This better be sexy and explosive as how Revenge was/tried to be for 3 years on the Sunday/10PM time slot. I’m looking forward to finding out.

27. Christy says:

I saw the pilot of this show at the CMA Music Festival, and it is really great. Very edge of your seat stuff. I am curious if they can keep the momentum going throughout, but the pilot was terrific. The leads are really dynamic. In particular, the central female character. I would highly recommend

28. arif says:

Will this series show in the UK? e.g. Sky Atlantic?

29. farhi says:

i can’t wait for pc’s Quantico

30. farhi says:

i can’t wait for pc’s Quantico,I want it to be blockbuster than every tv show Insha Allah

31. farhia says:

insha Allah you will rock pc,you are our queen

32. Iman says:

Please find outfits that properly fit your actors body types. Thank you

33. Michelle says:

Seriously tried to give this a go. But does the lead actress always have to look made up? i know that’s how they think we need to be roped in by sex sex sex But I need plot& character development . Not a pretty face with every hair in place. It’s a semi action drama not an episode of the Kardashians.

34. Lo says:

Watched first few episodes, boring dont like Chopra…