Supernatural Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Supernatural: Jeffrey Dean Morgan Wants to Return (But He Has a Special Jensen-Related Request)

Count Jeffrey Dean Morgan among those Supernatural fans anxious for a John Winchester resurrection.

The actor — who last appeared as Sam and Dean’s late pa nearly a decade ago — tells TVLine that he wants back in bad. “I would absolutely love to come back,” he says. “There’s no official talk that I know of, but I’m always in contact with Jared [Padalecki] and Jensen [Ackles] — they’re very good friends of mine.

“With me it’s always been about scheduling,” adds Morgan, who just booked a season-long stint on The Good Wife. “But hopefully we can find a little time and they’ll write something that I can do. It would be a great joy to go back and play with those guys.”

And Morgan only has one small request of The CW: he wants Ackles to helm his comeback episode. “I would love to have Jensen direct me, honestly.” he says. “I think that would be a very cool deal. That’s always what I’ve been pushing for.”

Creatively, there has never been a better time for Papa Winchester to resurfaceAt Comic-Con last weekend, executive producer Andrew Dabb hinted that Season 11 (bowing Oct. 7) will dredge up “some things” from Sam and Dean’s past that “we haven’t dealt with in a long time but will have some really interesting repercussions for both guys.”

Dabb later added that Morgan’s return was inevitable. “To me, it’s not if he comes back, it’s when. When’s the right time? When it’s going to be for maximum impact? What you don’t want to do is bring a character like that back and waste the opportunity.”

1. ninamags says:

Eh, I’ve always sort of disliked John Winchester. I never liked the way he treated the guys and how he brought them up. Yeah, yeah, circumstances being what they were and all. (Maybe I’ve read too much fan fiction to be objective in any way :P)

• mark wengler says:

John did not grow up a hunter. He became one after the death of his wife So he take on being a hunter came from other hunters. He thought by being hard on them would keep them alive.

• Connie says:

Okay, I need to point out if you watched all seasons you would know that John actually married into being a hunter from his wife, and that her family were the hunters and they stopped being hunters when they had Dean and Sammy then, she was killed and John began hunting again to find the demon that killed her…..

• Leah says:

True except for the fact that John never knew anything about hunting until after Mary died and never knew she was one so he didn’t return to hunting, he just started it.

• Carolyn Harris says:

I agree.

• Gerald says:

Agreed also. And not a fan of the actor either. But I could see an episode or near series finale where he is in heaven playing cards or something with Bobby. Just so they know he is okay.

• jblake39 says:

John’s the absent father, the role model, the authority to rebel against, the enigma they never understood. In the analogy to Michael/Lucifer, John assumes the role of God. Would be cool to see him actually play it now that the Darkness is back and they need some serious muscle to fight it.

• P_\ says:

As far as “things they haven’t dealt with in a long time”… I’m sort of hoping that refers to their half brother, who’ has been stuck in Hell with Micheal and Lucifer for a loooong time, especially in “Hell years”.

• rockerrick says:

You may be reacting to your own father issues.

• The Effect says:

If you’ve taken your definition of him from fanfiction, then yeah, you’ve probable read too much of it. The show, itself gives a regretful little about the character. We know he was neglectful to a degree that occasionally got pretty extreme, we know he could be embarrassing, and we know he pretty much dumped one son off on the other.

But technically, we’ve never seen anything to even suggest, let alone justify the extents gone to by some fanfiction writers… So that’s probably not a good means by which to go.

2. Ari says:

I would love nothing more than JDM returning for an episode or three this season. If this is the end of the show (contracts are up this season right?) then they have to have Papa Winchester come back. SPN, make it happen! Papa Winchester in it for one last hunt!

3. “What you don’t want to do is bring a character like that back and waste the opportunity” yeah, like a cameo at the end of an episode about a school play. We don’t want it to be lame like that :P

4. SnazzyO says:

Sigh. I’d love that too. But since Ackles just wrapped in his directing gig for S11, they’d either have to have him act as an AD for the scene or wait till season 12.

5. Joey says:

We all know that Bobby was the better father anyways.

• I’d like to see Bobby and John faceoff against each other in an argument over who was a better “father” to these boys! John pretty much abandoned them. If both men were about to drop off of a cliff, I wonder who the boys would choose to save?? Would they each make the same choice? Strangely, I think Dean would choose to save Bobby and Sam would choose to save John.

• Robby says:

actually Dean was at John’s beck and call. Sam left John. So it’s Dean saving dad, and Sam saving Bobby.

But to be clear, John Winchester dug his own grave.

• MJ says:

yes it always seemed like dean was at johns beck and call. but he’s older now, and hes grow and he and bobby had an even better relationship. he could really talk to bobby, about things he couldn’t with sam. when john was alive he worshiped him and did anything for the guy. but now that he’s dead, even in the newest of seasons, you can tell theres some resentment there. not that he wouldnt save him, but i definitely agree with the op. its all up to interpretation though

• Amanda says:

I remember an flashback episode where Bobby did give John hell over the phone because John wanted him to take the boys out to practice shooting, and instead he took them out to play catch. So, yeah a scene about that would be cool. I loved Lucifer, and Bobby. Also Gabriel. Bring me all back for a last hurrah at least before the show ends. This has been a favorite of mine since the beginning. Can’t wait till fall.

6. Drew says:

It would be interesting to see how they interacted with John at this point. They have dealt with their daddy issues a lot, but at the same time, neither of them has families of their own. That probably has something to do with him.
    At the same time, bringing back a dead character usually cheapens their death.

• alistaircrane says:

No it doesn’t. Considering killing off good characters is always a mistake, bringing them back is the best possible thing.

• kripke was short sighted, in how kill happy he was with the fantastic guest stars or re occurring characters that past through this series when he was in charge. Where he should’ve kept some of them alive for a future episode or season. He chose to kill them and then try to bring them back from the dead ,often in some lame way and they are now unusable to Carver.

7. Jen says:

If they bring him back, John and Sam NEED a resolution scene. The last thing they did was nearly fight and John sent Sam for coffee! Sam needs to hear from John that he is proud.

8. Kathy says:

I would love to see Jeffery Dean Morgan return to supernaturals. I don’t know why they killed him off the first place. I loved the 3 paired up . Please bring him back

• Penny Eaton says:

I think it was more about JDM’s availability than plot..He’s one of the busiest actors around, and right now he’s got recurring roles on two shows in the fall, Extant and the Good Wife.. so his availability now would be tough. If they do make it work, it will be a cameo.. some kind of heaven scene, or vision or something. Doubt there will be a full-on resurrection.. but I love JDM, so anything would be a bonus!

9. Veronica says:

This would be great ! Very awesome ! I love when these 3 get together to hunt, I hope he does come back :D

10. Mary says:

Would definitely watch if they brought him back

11. Tanya says:

Is love to see John Winchester return. Jeffrey dean Morgan is a wonderful actor!

12. aph1976 says:

I also Jeffrey Dean Morgan returns to Supernatural.The show could do a alternate reality/dream episode where John Winchester lived and maybe how he survived changed things for his sons.Plus seeing their father again even if it’s just in a dream could give Sam and Dean some sort of closure.

• HeroFanatic says:

No i think if they bring him back the Boys will have to face the DARKNESS (who will undoubtedly bring back old foes, hopefully some good ones like lillith, meg, ruby, azazel, angels, lucifer Dick Roman ect) and then John will come back from the Grave somehow as well maybe some other friends like.. ellen, bobby, ect and they will help the boys fight the Darkness or somehow save them from it…. i so hope they get a 12 and 13 Season i want this Show to continue forever…

13. James Newman says:

If it wasn’t for the training he gave Dean and Sam they would of died and all they saved would of died he loved his sons and died to save Dean went to hell to a n d don’t forget he was thanking that he was going to have to kill Sammy so all in all he was a. Great father who showed his boys there’s nothing more in portent than family and how to be strong and to hunt so yeah I would like to see him come back and I too thank Bobby was a good father figure to them to but it was John who made them what they are heroes and for that you all should thank him can’t wait for season 11 to start it’s the greatest show ever it got it all in a big way

• Hasmik says:

Look, both Sam and Dean have died numerous times already, so the point of John raising them in a way that has helped them stay alive is irrelavant, ok? I mean, John was a really good father and caring from my point of view, but the man was a mere human and did the best he could. That’s normal, that’s fine. What really matters is that he was a strong and influential character and his return would be really awesome (Dean’s choice word). I really would love that, especially because John sheding a few tears with a proud smile on his face when he says farewell to his boys for eternity… so not what I have in my mind for a closure. I need an actual conversation, I need Sam to say sorry for being a kid and John saying sorry for adding fuel to the fire. And I want Dean to say that despite how he sees things and despite whatever horrors and sh*** he went through, he doesn’t regret having John and Sam for his family. As always, he is the one all about his family. I NEED that, CW! I NEED it!!!

14. Robby says:

I’m not sure if John made it to Heaven after the demon gate in the second season finale. So let’s play it out both ways.
    If he is still in hell, he would be in the pit for 4800 years (since a month topside is equal to 10 years in hell). John is most certiantly demonized for sure. Dad gets Sam and Dean to play along with a plan to kill Crowley. They kill Crowley and then Daddy tries to kill the boys. And the guys get out of hell (via the hole to purgatory and then the vortex back to Maine). Now the boys know that they are going to have to kill their dad, the new king of hell.

If John is in heaven, John finds a way out of his heaven when he heard of Bobby’s punishment by Hanna when he helped Cas into heaven and take Meteron. John gathers Jo, Ellen, Rufus, Garth, Kevin and Charlie to mount a rescue mission. Knowing that all their souls might be destroyed.

• Carl says:

If I remember correctly John is on Earth after escaping hell when the gates were opened in I believe season 3. If you remember after the gates opened and all the demons came rushing out, Dean sees John as a spirit then John goes off to who knows where.

15. becky drysdale says:

I would love to see John, Sammy and dean come back with bobby and learn how they learned what they know and how they learned it and get how Sammy dislikes his dad so much, it would be exemlily intrestin

16. yolanda says:

I think it a good idea I hope it happen this season

17. I would love to see Jeffery come back. The Winchester boys need to see their dad! It would be awesome if Jensen directed! Get Bobby back and some of the gang would be together again! While your thinking about that lets bring Charlie back too, she was a great addition to the hunters, you go girl!

18. Tav Clegg says:

Would Love to see him ( John & Bobby ) ( Jim Beaver) come Back.

19. callie says:

Bring john Winchester back I would love to see him again he was a great actor and father to the boys ya he was hard on them but showed how much he did care a bought his boys

20. MARY H says:

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM AND JIM BEAVER COME BACK….KILLING THEM BOTH OFF WAS A MISTAKE!!!!

21. katey says:

I love supernatural that’s awesome and I look forward to watching it all the time I’m so glad that we’re at season 11 I was worried that it would end and I would love to see John Winchester come back I wanted that for a long time but could never figure out how but yes I think that would be awesome I love supernatural I love everybody in it and keep fighting love you guys you’re awesome

22. I absolutely without a doubt cannot wait for the new season!! Jeffrey Dean Morgan needs to come back for sure!! I LOVE YOUR IDEA OF JENSEN DIRECTING YOU!! #SUPERNATURALROCKS

23. Ayla says:

I’ve always hated lucifer for what he did to Sam but I’d like to see the other characters back and you guys should’ve added Joe Harvell everyone would love to see her back

24. Zaundra Goodgion says:

I have been waiting for this moment, forever!!! I am so hoping he comes back. It will be epic!!! Jensen for directing his comeback!!!

25. Linda says:

ANYTIME would b a good time for Jeffrey to return. The sooner the better. The boys need their da

26. sharon says:

I always loved John and bobby want to see both come back.

27. Cole Offutt says:

I think it’d be great if he comes back. There’s a lot they could do with just that alone. I’d like to see them bring back the kid anti Christ personally…. They could have a whole season on that I think. But as for bringing back John… That would be awesome. He could help the figure out what the darkness is and what it’s weakness is and since he’s been dead so long I’m sure he hasn’t just been kicked back drinking and having a good time. I’m sure he’s been doing his homework on everything, learning new things the boys hasn’t even heard of and prepping for them. Just my hopes and thoughts lol

28. A says:

have John and Mary reunite and go off to heaven together but first help the boys save their brother Adam from hell.

29. Ella says:

I cannot scream YES loud enough. It’s time.

30. Missy says:

I’ve always been a Papa Winchester apologist. Before he upturned his Sons lives and ruined them(LOLZ), his life was also torn apart. It’s easy to forget that a good part of what happened was due to Mary’s family ties. And I would love to see John learn about The Men Of Letters. John never knew why his father disappeared when he was a child. Plus, Jensen, Jared and Jeffery are fantastic in scenes together, it’s been a while but those scene where palpable :D

I would absolutely LOVE for Jeff to come back and it would be even more awesome to have Jensen direct such an episode(I love Jensen’s directing)

31. ComeOn says:

As much as I like JDM, I was hoping the something from the boys’ past would be poor Adam, their half brother trapped with Michael and Lucifer in Lucifer’s cage. I still can’t believe the show never attempt to get Adam back.

32. John did teach the boys how to survive and Sam and Dean are proving that they can survive together as one!

33. nolanola says:

Will someone PLEASE get to Adam’s story, 1 way or the other.

34. Rose says:

I think they need to bring back Charlie. When she first came back from Oz I thought we would finally have a strong female character in the show and she look like a force to be reckoned with. But once they merged the two Charlie’s together I feel that her character was too soft. I expected a new bad ass Charlie when came back from Oz. As well, her death seemed poorly thought out, she’s been with the Winchesters for years and she’s a hacker, she should have already known that they must have been tracking her credit card to figure out her every move across Europe

35. Chris Bowling says:

To see John Winchester come back has been somthing ive wanted to see since his spirit climbed out the hell gate at end of season 2 to help his boys take out the yellow eyed demon . . To many questions was left unanswered. What happend to him? When Sam and Dean was shot and killed in season 5 and went to heaven Ash, Ellen and Jo’s freind from roadhouse , said he had not seen him in heaven. Did he go back to hell? Was he reunited with Mary. So many questions and who better to answer then Jeffery Dean Morgan. It would be a treat to see him come back.

36. Bridget says:

I would love it if he came back… it would make me so happy to be watching it and see him show up!! Oooo that would be awesome. Be cool if adam came back too for a little bit. Didn’t kniw him much but he’s there brother so I’d love it. If they all together for the 1st time. ,John,sam,dean,adam, that would be a really good episode

37. Florence says:

It would be great to see papa Winchester back fight a good fight beside his sons maybe Dean will need help to save Sam life or Dean will end up in hell and Sam rings down to Hell to get his fathers help to rescue Dean and in that way the father escaprs

38. Lisa says:

I would love it! Love these three guys working together!

39. Emma Sproule says:

would love for him to come back for few episodes

40. Jamie says:

The Winchesters men needs to reunite… Also bring Bobby back too…

41. Diane Sandy says:

Please, please bring back Morgan.

42. dragons3 says:

YES!! And while we’re at it, could we get Jo and Ellen back for an episode or two? I don’ tcare how they do it, just do it!

43. sammy says:

I was very heartbroken when John died ey though it showed how much he loved his boys…. It would be awesome if JDM comes back to act. Jus live him he is a great actor 😍

44. Sammy.. says:

That would be nice. JDM is to die for. I wonder why they killed his character in the 1st place. And yes bring Bobby too. What a reunion! :×

45. BETH MALONEY says:

i would love to see him back that would be a great storyline.

46. Dawn says:

IAM SOO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS!!!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! IT’S SOO GOOD TO HEAR DAD COMING BACK!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

47. Mika says:

Eh. JDM is a fantastic actor but I’m not a fan of John – they’ve hinted over the years that he may have been a little abusive (from things Dean has said) and he’s been long dead, so… idk

48. Leslie Davis says:

Love me some JD Morgan. Really missed him all these years. Please please come back!!!

49. Dana says:

OMG!!!!!!!😍😍😍😎😎😎😍😍😍😎😍😎😍would love to see mr. Jeffrey Dean Morgan back on the show!!!! He is totally amaze ballz!!!!!😻😍😎🔮😍😍😎😎

50. Jeannette says:

I love the supernatural series, and have followed it from the beginning.
    And to see john winchester return,yahoo! To see all three of the drop dead fine winchester men together again, YES!!!!