Fall TV Preview
Blindspot Preview NBC

Fall TV First Impression: Blindspot

The broadcast networks have more than 20 shows debuting this fall, including a soaring Supergirl, reborn Heroes, reanimated Muppets and sexy Scream Queens. To help you prep, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

THE SHOW | NBC’s Blindspot (Mondays at 10/9c, premiering Sept. 21)

THE COMPETITION | ABC’s Castle and CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles

THE CAST | Jaimie Alexander (Thor), Sullivan Stapleton (Strike Back), Marianne Jean-Baptiste (Without a Trace), Rob Brown (Treme), Audrey Esparza (Black Box), Ashley Johnson (The Killing) and Ukweli Roach

THE SET-UP | A naked, extremely tattooed amnesiac (played by Alexander) emerges from a duffel bag in the middle of Times Square, sparking a mystery that promptly ensnares FBI Agent Kurt Weller (Stapleton), whose name is inked on the Jane Doe’s back.

RELATED Fall TV Grid 2015: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | Save for known properties such as Supergirl and Heroes Reborn, the Greg Berlanti-produced Blindspot is perhaps the fall TV season’s biggest fastball down the middle, coupling as it does two highly telegenic leads whose alter egos are fated for ‘shipping (Kurt + “Jane” = KAne?) with a noisy, quickly digestible premise. Having played a detached Asgardian in the Marvel-verse (as well as Kyle XY‘s very special Jessi), Alexander is a perfect fit as the astray and yet remarkably skilled Jane, Blindspot - Season Pilotwhile Stapleton strikes the right balance of authority and measured compassion. Among the supporting cast, Jean-Baptiste pops the most in the pilot, as Weller’s pragmatic FBI boss. (Hurray for a team leader who isn’t Wrong Every Step of the Way!)

Blindspot‘s Achilles heel, if there stands to be one, is in fact expressed aloud multiple times in the pilot: Why would someone cover this woman with clues to stoppable crimes, instead of just phoning in the tips? (Especially if, in success, some of her ink won’t be explored for seasons/years to come?) That’s obviously the grand mystery, and as such will be dragged out for a time. For now, the pilot offers at least a couple of hints at Jane’s unusual origin, as well as suggests that one character might not want every tattoo of hers to be looked into….

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Castle and NCIS: LA have 13 seasons between them, so there is certainly opportunity for a “new kid” to show up in the time slot and grab some eyeballs. And given its procedural-with-a-twist DNA, Blindspot is poised to be more Blacklist that State of Affairs.

Watch a trailer for Blindspot, then vote in our poll below.

1. James D says:

out of all the new pilots coming out this one has me most intrigued. a lot of that has to do with it’s cast. I think Sullivan is an underrated actor and Jaime is so talented and so gorgeous, I find the concept to be pretty interesting as well but as you pointed out Matt it seems like the concept over a period of time could be endanger of falling flat. it makes little sense and how does one play with the idea over what is hopefully many seasons to come. Still I can’t wait for it even though at least during the first couple of episodes it will be relegated to my DVR as Castle comes first for me (that could change however if Castle doesn’t bring it this season).

2. wrstlgirl says:

Sullivan Stapleton, that is all.

3. Ian says:

Yeah, Im looking forward to it. Jamie Alexander’s been a missed opportunity lead for awhile, Sullivan Stapleton is a commanding and sexy bit of rough, and it’s a sleek premise. All the makings of a great show. My only worry would be that the eventual answers will be a letdown, but hopefully they wont be. But Blindspot’s a definite must-see newbie for me, and I plan to give it the entire season.

• Simon says:

As long as they maintain an adequate level of mystery about it, it should be okay. The problem with shows that end up being all about mysteries and nothing else (Lost) it that they can’t but disappoint. Fringe, on the other hand, had a much more balanced approach to mystery: it never went in longer than a season and answers were usually pretty plausible

• Ian says:

I hate it when shows are written as they go. With show’s like this, they need to have it all already figured out and it be a breathtaking and satisfying answer behind the mystery and conclusion to the series. That way, they can neatly build toward it and peel back a layer every season that’ll have us all coming back. The world could always do with another smart edge-of-your-seat thriller, and I really want Blindspot to be what it needs to.

• Simon says:

To me it’s not so much a matter of making stuff up as you go along. If you tease some mystery in the pilot which you only solve in the seventh season finale (or something like that), the resolution is always going to disappoint.

• You just didn’t understand Lost, which was one of the top 20 shows of all time

4. Lizo says:

Prison Break meets Blacklist, led by Lady Sif. I’m totally down for it. Hopefully there’s some major conspiracy weaving going on that we can sink our teeth into

• ninamags says:

I thought about Prison Break as well when I saw the previews. I will definitely tune in.

• kajar says:

Actually, it reminds me more of the movie “Memento” than anything else. Of course, we knew right off the bat who the tattoo artist was but amnesia played a big part.

5. spindae2 says:

Really looking forward to this show, should be a really good one.

Btw Jurt sounds better than Kane. ^_^

6. Erika says:

One problem:I couldn’t watch a Blindspot trailer on Youtube because it says “The uploader has not made this video available in your country”.I live in Europe and I don’t live in the US.But the americans can legally watch American TV shows at Youtube trailers in US,but the rest of the world don’t have a right to watch American TV shows and even TV trailers at Youtube.(I watch the trailers outside of the US at Youtube are Supergirl,DC’s Legends of Tomorrow and Heroes Reborn)
    WTF AMERICA AND IT’S NOT FAIR!!!😠

• Angus says:

Move to Canada, we can watch anything, anytime, anywhere, even before the yanks. Example we get Blindspot tonight, the yanks get it tomorrow.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Why are you trying to hate on NBC? It’s not about the network people keep whining and complaining about, it’s all about the network shows.

7. Jared says:

The premise and trailer didnt really do much for me but I really do love Greg Berlantis CW series so that alone will atleast make me check out the pilot.

8. m3rcnate says:

Really looking forward to this (love the two leads) however from what I have read, it is a very generic pilot.

Whats funny is in a way, its Kyle XY all over again. She is a person who is found, with no memory, something weird about her body (tattoos/belly button), can speak multiple languages, can fight, is part of a big conspiracy.

My three biggest hopes are:
    1) The series isn’t generic. It isn’t “Blacklist” all over again but this time the “list” is on her body in tats.
    2) The series mystery of who she is, who tatted her, etc, has been thought out and written somewhere and is smart and entertaining. It can be done horrible, very averagely, or done really well.
    3) If Kurt and Jane are going to be romantic interests, make sure they have great on screen chemistry, and make sure TO TIME THINGS RIGHT. Don’t get them together in season 2 then have them break up and get back together 10 times until the final season, season 7 when the writers placate the fans and write them how we always wanted them to be.
    No, have some flirtiness, have chemistry and sparks, but know to not give in until season 4 if the show is a hit, then make sure to be VERY careful as to what you do with them while together. Cheating and tons of breaking up-getting back together can kill a coupling and a series.
    I doubt this show will realize it but it IS very possible to write a couple that are fun to watch, they have chemistry and that spark and playfulness while together. Its not like a rollercoster where you are either going up (chemistry, sexual tension, sleeping with each other) or down (breaking up, fighting, cheating, etc).

• ZhaneEndrick says:

My first thought actually went to John Doe on FOX, which was a few years before Kyle XY but had some similarities. And THAT show ended it’s only season on a massive game changing reveal that never got resolved. I’m hoping Blindspot has a better fate.

• Scarlett666 says:

Multi languages? Hm… Her Chinese was terrible in the pilot, could have worked a bit harder…

• m3rcnate says:

Well 1) its a pilot, we don’t know how much time she had to practice between seeing the script, getting a language coach and shooting the scenes in Chinese. Also having seen the pilot, she had to do a lot of training and practicing for her stunts/fighting, which takes up a lot of time too. I give her a break on that, especially because how many people will know it wasn’t good Chinese? Also, who says it was supposed to be perfect Chinese? We don’t know what the situation is.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

Blindspot is a must see and it should topped both veteran dramas in Castle (ABC) and NCIS: LA in the 10 p.m. Monday night time slot. Jaimie Alexander is one of the breakout stars this season and she’s best known as Siff in the Thor movies and the actress is at it again in another butt kicking role as Jane Doe. Her and Sullivan Stapleton’s Kurt Weller should make a perfect chemistry in the edge-of-your-seat action thriller and I can pictured Jane Doe as the female version of Jason Bourne. Blindspot should get a big boost for a Voice lead-in just like what Blacklist did.

10. Amy H says:

Will absolutely tune into this one. I’ve enjoyed watching Sullivan Stapleton in Strike Back, and I think he and Jaime Alexander will play well off each other.

11. DarkDefender says:

It looked intriguing at SDCC. I’ll be tuning in (DVR).. After I watch Castle live.

12. Candice says:

I loved the pilot. I can’t wait for the rest of the season.

13. sladewilson says:

Sullivan and Jamie – winner. Come on, Scott from Strike Back and the Lady Sif? This is going to be balls to the walls action.

14. paco says:

I’ll give it a few watches…see if they have any meat on the bones after the pilot airs

15. herman1959 says:

I will give it my standard 5 episode try-out for Marianne Jean-Baptiste and because I love what Greg B. has done with The Flash. BUT, if it turns to be another Blacklist-type stringalong, I’m out.

16. Erica says:

John Doe + Prison Break + Bourne Identity + Blacklist

17. Will says:

In it because of Sullivan Stapleton

18. Ally Oop says:

Im not sure this show is a keeper for me. I guess it depends on the more serial aspects whether I’ll keep watching. Ten years ago I would have definitely been into this but in today’s television age there’s so much TV to choose from that a show with a trailer that gets a B from me might get a pass. I’ve narrowed my list down to 11 new U.S./Canadian network shows to check out this fall and Blindspot gets my 11th spot after Quantico, Blood & Oil, The Romeo Section, This Life, Grandfathered, Code Black, Raised by Wolves, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, The Muppets and Supergirl.

19. Nick D says:

“Blind spot”
    My first impression of the shows trailer is that it could have a lot of potential. It does have originality going for it plus Jamie Alexander(leading lady) is hot! I will DVR it unless Monday night football is a blowout. Either way I will make an effort to watch

20. Ashley says:

So excited to have Jaimie on my TV regularly.

21. Anja says:

J-A-I-M-I-E

22. Babygate says:

I’m looking forward to this even though it feels kind of derivative of The Blacklist.

23. mike says:

John Doe Meets Prison Break. Bad enough they can’t come up with an original premise, but now they are combining them? Sheesh.

Still..it has the Lady Sif..so i’ll put it on my 2nd DVR and watch it after it hits a half dozen eps

24. Joe says:

Blindspot looks like an excellent show. Can’t wait…! Let’s see how well it does up against Monday Night Football.

25. Daniel says:

Looks like a fluffier version of the Black list with almost the same plot.

26. Kare Sand says:

Really? They don’t need to objectify a woman because they have turned her into an object that is delivered in a bag! Where’s the racist angle? Is there an equally offensive ethnic or religious angle? Did NBC try to be bigoted or do the writers just have a natural gift for it? Do the accountants decide what is worthy of being produced? Enough of the women haters. Do they fear women so much? Stupid, silly premise!

27. RD says:

Needs some more Ashley Johnson, justify her taking off to NY and missing Critical Role in LA!

28. Nicholas E. Yost says:

Jane Doe comes off pretty well for her situation. Unfortunately, hero Weller is a joke?
    I understand that the FBI does has a dress code, where he falls very short – looking like he’s been on a two week binge!! What’s with the beard? Good Grief, Charley Brown!! Trim it and shave the neck, so it looks like he is at least tempting some effort at grooming… and get him a damn tie.

29. Unique says:

I have watched both episodes stop far….I love this show….i cannot wait til next Monday….i have it as an alarm inn my phone every Monday! Creator, writters, directors, cast…..all A++ for me…not to mention Jane Doe/Taylor is beautiful with a aick body…who is her trainor….n leading FBI agent is something nice to look at during a well put together, great show….I c it being on a long while.

30. Gail Najda says:

I wish men would renew their relationship with the razor! Not too many men suit the unshaven look and Sullivan Stapleton is one of them.