Comic-Con

The Flash Adds Teddy Sears as Jay Garrick, Casts Barry's Love Interest

Barry Allen, meet your predecessor.

Masters of Sex alum Teddy Sears has joined Season 2 of The Flash as Jay Garrick, the first DC Comics character to take on the title of the scarlet speedster, it was announced at the show’s Comic-Con panel on Saturday.

Jay is described as a mysterious figure who arrives in Central City to warn Barry and the S.T.A.R. Labs team of an impending danger that he alone cannot hope to stop. His iconic helmet was spotted coming out of the worm hole in the Season 1 finale.

Additionally, Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, One Tree Hill) has been cast as Barry’s love interest, Patty Spivot. As previously reported, Patty is a police officer and science enthusiast — think “Think ‘Felicity Smoak’ from Arrow,” the casting call read — who partners with Det. Joe West. She is obsessed with metahumans, but has no idea that her new crush is the fastest man alive.

“Having Jay Garrick come onto the show was one of our earliest ideas,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said in a statement. “It is so exciting, as we rush into Season 2, that we finally get to bring the Crimson Comet to life. We couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to play the original Flash than Teddy.”

“We were huge fans of The Messengers and are excited to have Shantel join us to help complicate Barry Allen’s love life in season two,” Kreisberg continued.

Thoughts on these castings? Sound off below!

1. paco says:

This Flash news sounds promising…

2. nate says:

Cool. I like Shantel

3. Nancy Jenkins Chandler says:

I am just kinda worried………….want to see more of John Wesley Shipp……..Sort of thought he would turn out to be the real Jay Garrick………Will Henry have more of a impact on Barry’s life?? So hope so. Want to see more of John/Henry………..

4. Mary says:

This a great news for a OTH fan!!! Shantel is amazing, plus she is a geek of comic books!!!

5. julia says:

Loved Teddy Sears in MoS, I’m sure he’s going to be amazing in TF. I’ve not seen anything with Shantel but I say bring it on..I am ready for an amazing season 2.

• theschnauzers says:

I’ve been a fan of Teddy since his Torchwood days. Which means yet another Whoverse alumni comes to the DCTV-Arrow/Flash/Legends universe.

6. Elle says:

I read the title too fast: ‘The Flash Adds Teddy Sears as Jay Garrick, Barry’s Love Interest’…lol

• liame says:

I think it was written that way on purpose. I wish they would stop with all the gay innuendo’s, it’s not cute or funny. A lot of new shows have people commenting and speculating if a character will turn out gay. Being gay is not a guessing game, it seems a little disrespectful IMO. You can keep your lighten up and it’s not that serious opinions to yourself, until you walk in someone else’s shoes, don’t assume to know how they feel.

7. Nichole says:

Have not seen One Tree Hill, but have seen The Messengers and Gang Related, and was not impressed by Shantel VanSanten, not a fan sorry. Really enjoy The Flash, but that’s one piece of casting that could ruin the show for me :( Fingers crossed that it’s not a long term roll as the future shows Iris and Barry at some point married!

8. abz says:

Great casting. Don’t know much about the character, but he’s great. I hope he still appears on Masters of Sex this season. And I hope The Flash can keep up the quality of that great first season.

9. Jared says:

Love Shantel and Teddy! Perfect casting choices CW!

10. Joey Padron says:

great casting news! happy Teddy and Shantel will be on the show in new season!

11. Anne says:

She seems too old for Barry. But I guess that’s rude.