Comic-Con

Castle's Nathan Fillion Talks Season 8 Rick & Kate: 'Things Have to Change'

If you’re a Castle fan concerned about what designs the series’ new showrunners may have on your beloved newlyweds, Nathan Fillion would like to share some reassuring words.

“Don’t be worried,” he said with a smile while stopping by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite at the Hard Rock Hotel.

RELATED ABC Sets Fall Premiere Dates for Scandal, Grey’s, Once and 21 Others, Names Forever‘s Replacement

Fillion and his Firefly co-star Alan Tudyk were there to talk about their latest project, Con Man — a separate post on that project will be up later — but the actor took a moment to answer Michael Ausiello’s queries about what the Castle‘s regime change might mean for Rick and Kate.

RELATED Ask Ausiello: Castle Scoop!

“In order for a show to continue and to move forward, things have to change,” he said. “And things have changed, every year, for these two.”

Fillion also fielded questions about new castmate Toks Olagundoye (The Neighbors) and whether a Season 9 would have him feeling fine. Press PLAY on the video above to hear what he has to say.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

I’m fine on whether Castle will end after eight or go beyond a Season 9.

2. Jake says:

Hopefully we’ll see Castle out about with other ladies. I feel like he’s bored to death right now, he needs a change. I think time apart for Castle and Beckett would be beneficial because they’re getting awfully boring together the last couple of seasons. I think even Nathan is bored, so give him new characters to play with this season.

• Alexia says:

Yeah, he should be cheating on his third wife, that would made him such a great and likeable character …

• Disappointed says:

Don’t you think the writers, under Marlowe’s direction, had something to do with that? Most of the Caskett scenes in S6 consisted of tedious wedding planning discussions that went nowhere. Hopefully the new showrunners can rekindle the chemistry that set the show alight in the earlier seasons.

• CastleBuzz says:

Why do so many posters find the wedding planning scenes in season 6 tedious? I’ve seen that complaint on other boards and don’t understand it. I found them to be charming and delightful, and I’m not really a wedding person. Is the complaint based on the scenes themselves or on the fact that there was no wedding?

• Lizo says:

I agree! I found the wedding stuff rather adorable (and I’m not a wedding person). I want to see them do the “boring” domestic stuff.

• abz says:

I think TV weddings can really just suck sometimes. They’re so over-the-top and lame. I don’t understand why they can’t ever just go as planned for once. Almost every show always has to have one of their characters ordained at the last minute. Wedding planning ends up being for nothing because some lame thing like a car crash and kidnappy or some other stupid delaying tactic to create some unnecessary drama.

• CastleBuzz says:

Agree somewhat, but that doesn’t make the wedding planning scenes themselves tedious.

• Disappointed says:

Well as someone who has been through it, why did Beckett want Castle to look at venues in 6×07, and Castle was going to book one in 6×14, but they didn’t actually discuss the size of the guest list until 6×19. Totally nonsensical chronology which acted as an annoying distraction for me, particularly when you remember that Castle had already been through the process twice before so you’d expect him to have some idea.

• CastleBuzz says:

Agree. The order wasn’t logical but again the individual scenes were cute. With Castle I try not to let logic and sensible timing distract from my overall enjoyment! :)

• Alexia says:

I found the endless wedding talks boring and I hated that the writers used them to not have to come up with any other storylines for Castle and Beckett all season.
          One episode it was the honeymoon then the flowers then the venue then the guests etc … Everything about it was superficial when I was expecting some real development in their relationship. And the worst was that at the end we had the ridiculous season final with Beckett already married, no wedding and a lame cliffhanger, and that the actual wedding happened in 3 minutes, without anyone and an awful background that made them look like dead people in heaven.

• CastleBuzz says:

OK, but to me that’s what happily engaged people do…plan their wedding without a lot of other angst. That was their relationship development — finding out what each liked, compromising, dealing with in-laws-to-be. Ah, well, to each their own.

• T says:

The show is extremely shallow in how it deals with the character’s personal life. The endless wedding talk was a waste because it filled time that could have been spent in having Castle and Beckett actually have an adult conversation about their relationship. Why are they together; when did Castle actually buy the engagement ring (on the way to the swings?); why did Beckett really need to go to the FBI; can’t we ever actually see them go out to eat? They were making wedding plans when they had no discussion as to what type of wedding they really wanted, or even why they wanted to get married. The only tiny bit of useful wedding conversation they had was when Beckett told Castle about missing her mother when she tried on the (ugly) wedding dress. The lack of an actual wedding (and the poor excuse for one in season 7) is an entirely separate bit of disappointment.

• CastleBuzz says:

It really is to each, their own. I would find the characters talking about when Rick bought the ring or why they are together at that point in their story or harking back to her FBI stint a waste of time.

• Matt says:

i had no probably with the wedding stuff but I agree with the out to eat etc

• prish says:

The fact that few of the characters went to the wedding made it a very limp, wobbly arc.

• ursula wood says:

I thought season 6 was fantastic…except for the season finale. I thought season 7 was pretty good as well.

• LL624 says:

I absolutely loved season 6. With the exception of the finale, it was one of my favorite seasons. All the wedding planning was so cute! Giddy Kate was adorable.

• CastleBuzz says:

Awww, Nathan’s bored so make his character a cheater??? What are you, Jake, a troll?

• B says:

They were ‘boring’ bc NF and SK cannot get along and it effects the show and the situations the writers can put them in. This whole debacle is the result of unprofessional behavior on the part of the stars. Both of them.

• CastleBuzz says:

You do know that that’s just rumor, right? And that if it were true and both NF and SK brought it to the set to the point that it affected the show, they’d be giving themselves black eyes in the business. No one would work with either one of them.

• Data1001 says:

It’s blatantly obvious that Nathan doesn’t like Stana. He is constantly interacting with castmates Jon Huertas, Molly Quinn, and Seamus Dever, but never once have I seen any tweets between the two of them, nor even a mention of her from him. She also doesn’t seem to interact with Nathan, so of course it’s impossible to know what it all stems from and whose problem it was initially. Nathan seems like a man with a *very* healthy ego, but then I could also see Stana might possibly be a bit of a diva. All speculation, of course, without knowing the real truth — but the fact that they never have any sort of interaction on social media makes it quite obvious there’s some major tension there.

I wish that wasn’t the case, as I really enjoy their interplay on Castle. In spite of (or perhaps because of) the antagonism, they have great chemistry. It seems to me that Stana provides most of that, but it would fall flat if Nathan didn’t give her something to work with from an acting standpoint. So, while I applaud their professionalism, a part of me also somewhat mourns the apparent fact that there may be real-life animosity seething beneath the surface.

• CastleBuzz says:

I don’t know what, if anything, is going on between the two leads, but it’s not true that Stana doesn’t mention Nathan on social media and in interviews. As Just One Thing pointed out below, in the past season alone she’s praised the opportunity for him to have a Castle-centric arc in Season 7, encouraged fans to vote for him for the PCAs, wished him a happy birthday with a personal message, and included him in her season-ending Instagram thanks and good-byes. Nathan, on the other hand, doesn’t mention her name even when interviewed and asked about the cast. Just yesterday at SDCC, he and Alan Tudyk did a bit of a comedy routine to open one of their panels that even put her character down. In it, Alan came out alone, pretending to be Nathan, and started talking about playing Castle. After an initial joke about how unique it is for an actor to play a castle (yes, the building), Alan as Nathan mentioned he had a “beautiful assistant” on the show and then bellowed “Beckett” as if to call her on from backstage. Don’t know about you, but this 60+ woman who worked in several male-dominated fields did not appreciate the so-called humor.

• fei says:

After reading the comments seems like you’re everywhere here questioning everything Fillion does, says or is. Yet apparently you closely monitor his twitter, his interviews and even watch his Comicon panels. Are you masochistic or just gathering material to bring up in TVline comment sections?

• CastleBuzz says:

fei: If I’m going to comment about a topic, I prefer knowing what I’m talking about. The process is called research, the end product, knowledge.

• Harvey says:

lol! And rather than not commenting about it, you do research and just had to comment? lol

• CastleBuzz says:

Harvey, why bother being here if you’re not going to comment?

• fei says:

It’s just that when I dislike something or someone, I try not to come into contact with it/them. Certainly not “research” the reasons to dislike it/them more. That’s what looked odd to me. Don’t you think that your initial dislike plays into conclusions you make from your research? If I don’t like someone I’ll read all sorts of nastiness into their every sneeze and fart. Are you sure it’s not what’s happening in your case? Just find all this conspiracy made out from a misspelling of character names and Comicon jokes a little out there. For me it’s just characters on a TV show, not holy cows or gods that can’t bear to be joked about.

• Cassie says:

@Castlebuzz, which panel was this?

Cassie: it was the intro to Nathan’s Nerd HQ panels. You can see the clip at

• CastleBuzz says:

fei: I am a scientist by training and a journalist by experience. I think I know how to be impartial when I do research. The truth is I never heard of either Nathan or Stana before Castle, and I became intrigued by both of their characters immediately in episode 1 and came to like both actors as I began to see them in interviews. As the seasons went by, I became less “in-like” with Nathan’s jokey, silly side, which I believe began to be accentuated in Rick Castle onscreen to the detriment of the character. I’m naturally curious, so I keep checking out, researching if you will, the only means I have of knowing more about these people, ie., interviews, appearances, tweets, etc.

• Cassie says:

Thanks, Castlebuzz. That intro was so unfunny.

• fei says:

@Castlebuzz

Except you don’t sound impartial. I noticed you because I read all the comments and saw your name replying to every comment that had a potential to be spinned into something bad about Fillion. From your comments it doesn’t sound like you see anything good or deserving in him. It would have sounded more impartial if your comments were more varied, if you said that you liked this but disliked that and so on. This is what jumped out at me as odd.

You seem to monitor all his activities very closely but draw only one sort of conclusions. And based on what? To tell the truth I don’t see misspelling Kate Beckett’s name, or not tweeting his co-star, or his friend making a harmless playful joke about Castle at SDCC as grounds for seeing the man in such an all around negative light. There are actual real crimes, betrayals, sleazy acts of all kinds that celebrities or average people do, and then I understand some thinking that they are horrible people through and through (even though no one is horrible in every way). But the stuff you choose strikes me as inconsequential, and definitely not deserving of stalking the celebrity in question to find even more annoying stuff. What you come up with seems to me at worst like something that could bug me. But then I would try to avoid knowing more about that annoying person. We all have actors, musicians or TV personalities like that, that bug us for no real reason. But then, why the research? I would just not be interested to do it for someone who annoys me. Honestly, this kind of behavior seems unstable to me IMHO. Someone who seems to really dislike the celebrity (how it looks like from all your comments here) but at the same time closely follows his social media activity, appearances and such. At best it’s unhealthy. At worst…

• CastleBuzz says:

Oh, please, fei, tell me what I am at my worst….I’m dying to know!
            Seriously, if you take the totality of my comments about Nathan, they hardly add up to what you conclude. Most of the time, I’m just reacting to and commenting on something someone else has brought up. People present Nathan Fillion as this super-polite, perfectly wonderful, funny-as-hell, leading-man type. Some of his fans even refer to him as their Patron Saint. I like to bring another perspective. The worst I’ve said here is that I’ve seen him be impolite at times and too concerned with being funny all of the time. For me, much of Nathan’s type of humor is juvenile, especially from a 44-year-old man. That wouldn’t concern me if I didn’t see evidence of it onscreen in Castle episodes. I also don’t like when he belittles Castle or uses the show for a throw-away joke.
            If I really didn’t like Fillion, I couldn’t tolerate watching Castle, but I do, live, on DVR, DVD, and TNT. When Fillion brings his best stuff, he’s good, very, very good. But when he doesn’t, when he falls into the trap of making exaggerated faces (drama and comedy) or when he’s apparently too bored to try (often when he’s not the center of the scene), he can be bad. I give him kudos for the charities he supports. He seems a very nice, kind, generous person.

• KCC says:

Your powers of deducing the relationship between two individuals just via social media is astounding. Everyone uses social media differently and have different opinions on how they like or dislike being a part of it. It could be that Stana requested, for whatever her private reasons are, Nathan not mention her in any of his public statements and he’s respecting those wishes. Perhaps they interact in a non-public way. They could be having personal conversions, emails, letters, phone calls, etc of which the public is not aware. Or they might simply have a working relationship, no drama or animosity, just go in, do the work and go home and get on with their private lives. Not everyone feels the need to have everything displayed to the public. Making assumptions about two individual’s relationship and spreading those assumptions because of what you deem as “blatantly obvious” when in fact you have zero personal knowledge of their relationship is the very definition of gossip.

• Cassie says:

LOL, Stana requesting Nathan to ignore her as if she didn’t exist is the most ridiculous theory I’ve ever read.

• KCC says:

I’m not suggesting she’d ask him to ignore her, just to not use social media to communicate with or about her. People exist outside of social media and some even prefer it that way.

• Just one thing says:

Considering how much she has referenced Fillion and others on social media, I suspect that wasn’t the case.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

C’mon, JOT, put on your tinfoil hat!

• Cassie says:

Exactly what you said JOT, it just boggles my mind how people make up stuff to defend the indefensible.

• lkh says:

Putting on a tin foil hat–is that currently (no pun intended) a good thing or a bad thing?

• fei says:

@ikh

I’m guessing the amount of conspiracy theorizing going on here makes Matt afraid for the state of our brains. Can’t disagree. When the lack of tweeting to a co-star is seriously seen as something “indefensible” and used to build all kinds of far-fetched theories it’s time to use good ol’ Philip J. Fry’s head gear.

• Just one thing says:

Matt, clearly my #Castle5eva tinfoil hat is reserved solely for other agendas. 😈😆

• lkh says:

fel–originally, the tin foil hat was supposed to protect your brain–then the rumor was with the hat your brain was more susceptible. All I need to know is whether I should get the Reynolds wrap out of the drawer or not when I’m reading TVLine :)

• KCC says:

Everyone is exactly right, I’m making up the notion that Katic asked Fillion not to reference her on social media. But it’s no more made up the all the rumors that they cannot stand each other. Everyone has their fantasies. Until one or both of them decide to tell the world of the true nature of their relationship and explain the reasoning behind what they tweet/don’t tweet everything is conjecture and rumor. I was only trying (and failing) to point out the “blatantly obvious that Nathan doesn’t like Stana” comment that Data1001 made is ridiculous. The reasons for people’s actions are not always as obvious as people might think, especially if you do not know the people personally.

• cece says:

100% agree with you private life not everyone wants a REALITY SHOW !!!!

• Her Pegship says:

Ms Katic seems like a reserved person who stays out of the public eye, and Mr Fillion seems quite comfortable in the public eye, so it makes sense that they don’t appear together much off-set. Just because their relationship, professional or social, doesn’t resemble one person’s definition thereof doesn’t mean there’s some kind of animosity between them.

Enjoy the show and the characters, and for goodness’ sake assume good faith on the part of the players.

• Pat says:

Jake, if Fillion is bored, then he should not have signed for s8, so the fact that he did shows he’s fine. In fact I believe it’s Katic who was bored as she did hint at that in an interview and was considering leaving if there’s nothing more for Beckett. She wanted to end on a high. Her negotiations took way longer for this sole purpose too I believe. She prob wanted decent progression for her character. And I respect that. And that is how a professional does it, you’re bored you move on. Not expect your character to turn into cheater and change the entire dynamics. So stop making up stories about fillion being bored, all you’re doing is making him look like a much lesser person. Btw who’s that guy next to him, he looks a bit odd.

• John NYC says:

“Fillion and his Firefly co-star Alan Tudyk were there to talk about their latest project, Con Man”

You stopped reading too soon.

3. c-mo says:

Sorry Nathan, still worried…

• rowan77 says:

Don’t worry

• c-mo says:

I’m trying not to and I know it’s a bit ridiculous to get this stressed about FICTIONAL CHARACTERS but I feel like they’re my friends, they come into my home every week to entertain me and I let them. Sheesh, I need to get a life. :-)

• rowan77 says:

I think they appreciate that they’ve touched fans this deeply. It’s not that common for a show that’s mystery wrapped in light comedy like this to gain a fan base this passionate.

4. c-mo says:

Reeeeeeeally looking forward to the ConMan post!

• rowan77 says:

After seeing the awesome trailer, me too!!

Dumb and dumber

• CastleBuzz says:

Oops, that sound as though I’m referring to the posters. Sorry if anyone took it that way. I was referring to the interview and the trailer. Not a fan of Con Man.

• lauren says:

Now it becomes clear. You’re a fan of the fictional make believe man named “Rick Castle” and not a fan at all of actual person NF. Noted!

• CastleBuzz says:

Lauren, you’re jumping to a conclusion that’s not supported by what I wrote. Let me be precise for you. IMO the bit of interview shown above with Alan “acting” as a worried Castle fan and Nathan trying to placate him is “dumb.” Everything I’ve seen about Con Man, including the original stuff on Indiegogo and the latest trailer, is “dumber.” I have said nothing here about my like or dislike of NF. As far as Rick Castle, the fictional character, I run hot and cold according to whether he’s being a buffoon or a witty quipster, a man who ogles strippers or one who appreciates his wife, a bumbler or a suave gent. One never knows week to week what the writers will write him as or how Nathan will play a scene.

• rowan77 says:

????

5. prish says:

The husband says, “Forget the reality. Keep them married. I like the relationship of them married better than not married.”

6. Karen MT says:

Those two crack me up. Can’t wait to see the Con Man interview.

7. SO says:

Sort of sounds like Nathan’s game for more seasons.
    He says “Don’t worry” & does Nathan lie?

8. nb says:

Sooo looking forward to Con man! That trailer really fired me up for more, can’t wait till September.

9. Grace says:

Nathan Fillion couldn’t care less what fans of Castle want to see on the show. He’s proved he doesn’t care about fans or the show a billion times. He’s just stoked he’s finally getting his way – Castle and Beckett are breaking up and Castle will have love interests that Fillion can actually stand. Congrats Bro! Season 8 and you finally got your way! Enjoy being a sellout dirtbag!

• nb says:

Wow, enjoy slamming celebs on the internet for the things you know nothing about.

• SO says:

nb, there’s always some that bash celebrities. Name calling, etc. for what ever reasons maybe their own insecurities. It’s a tv show, for heavens sake!
        His personal quote on Twitter.
        “It costs nothing to say something kind, even less to shut up altogether”

• Carol says:

Is it that you cannot comprehend a simple fact that the ACTORS are not in control of the storyline? The writers are. It’s not that hard to understand. All you have ended up doing is come off as a rude and bitter person who has a giant chip on your shoulder. Grow up, please.

• rowan77 says:

WOW! It sound more like the show isn’t going in the direction YOU want, so you think he doesn’t care about the fans. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about Nathan Fillion knows he goes out of his way to give a great fan experience. That said, it is not the job of Nathan or the showrunners to take artistic direction from the fanbase. It is their show and they decide the stories they want to tell and why. For some reason some fans think they have power over their show beyond watching or not watching. You don’t. Now stop complaining about a storyline that you know nothing about. It’s silly.

• lkh says:

yeah, and his charge for a photo or a autograph are a little steep, but doable for some fans.

• rowan77 says:

I’m not an autograph hound so I don’t think about those things. How much could he possibly charge for just an autograph?

• lkh says:

Well, it varies a bit. Many times at the comic cons around the country. Autographs from about $60 to $80 or thereabouts. Photo ops start at about $80 and go up. I’ve seen the photo op charge much higher. Not implying he’s the only one that does this.

• rowan77 says:

Ouch. I guess people pay it, though, so it’s what the market can bear.

• B says:

Amen, sister.

• Are you kidding me.... says:

Seriously? Forget your meds this morning? Bitter, jealousy b*tch, party of one….

10. A says:

Who is the guy with him ?

• Cassie says:

Nathan Fillion

• c-mo says:

The three people in the interview were Michael Ausiello, Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk.

• CastleBuzz says:

The interviewer was Michael Ausiello? My confidence in his reports just dropped through the floor. Very amateurish in questions and approach.

• Just one thing says:

The guy has worked at TVGuide, EW and is the head of this very reputable TV news site, which has access to all the main showrunners across the board.
          I’m no Aus-hole, but I recognize credibility and experience when I see it.

Language JOT!!

• CastleBuzz says:

Jot, just saying his interview style is very amateurish. I worked as a reporter for a couple of decades for a major international news magazine and wouldn’t have gotten anywhere with that level of skill. I understand the entertainment business is different — there the interviewees are falling all over each other to get coverage — but still there should be a modicum of professionalism involved on the journalist’s part.

• lauren says:

You must be new here LMAO. Ausello’s style is what sets him apart from the other stiff boards who do these things. He and NF go back a long way which this video makes 1) obvious and 2) endearing.

• c-mo says:

@lkh, that’s what his fans are called, Aus-holes

c-mo–just kiddin’ w/ JOT Not to worry

• CastleBuzz says:

Lauren — that was “endearing?” Now you’ve got me laughing…Nathan fanatics are in a class of their own.

• John NYC says:

You needed to keep reading:
      “Fillion and his Firefly co-star Alan Tudyk were there to talk about their latest project, Con Man…”

11. Andrea says:

Thank you posting this! Nathan and Alan should do interviews together all the time!

• CastleBuzz says:

Just not about Castle, thank you.

• Ellen says:

This may be hard for you to understand but he was there to talk about and promote ConMan but was gracious enough to answer a couple Castle questions. I get it, you’re not a fan. You’re probably one of those who complains if he doesn’t answer questions about the show too.

• CastleBuzz says:

Read the rest of my posts and you’ll see why I did not like this bit of interview. If NF was being “gracious enough” to answer some Castle questions, he could have done it without the comedic interventions of AT … and I use the term comedic very loosely. In other words, he could have been “gracious enough” to take his Castle fans seriously. Equally acceptable would have been for him to simply say “I’m here for Con Man.”

• Harvey says:

lol! You actually think that would have been equally acceptable or acceptable at all? He was there with a friend for something else, but he also talked about Castle but he couldn’t just have told his friend to shut up or something!

12. Ro says:

Man, I miss Firefly. Looking forward to seeing more about this new project.

13. Skeeter says:

very few fave shows to watch any more … just hope they continue Castle for another season. I read that Stana wants some better scripting, so she could be out … I hope not. Although I do think Nathan could carry the show with new twists in the plots. I still like all the cast, the detectives, the captain (who should get more scenes) and Castle’s family for added interest. I really do not want a divorce this early in the marriage … they are perfect together.

• thisismenow says:

You can’t blame her on the scripts. There were some pointless and really, really bad episodes last season. If she is concerned with the quality of the show, that is refreshing. It forces the writers to step up their game.

• lkh says:

btw, the captain is gone.

• PacIslRocks says:

Stana signed her Season 8 contract a while back. Without her, I believe that the show would lose more viewers then it has. I for one would leave as I watch the show for her more than Fillion. He is too silly at times with his face and body! As for Castle being married, I wish he would decide if he is into being married to drop dead gorgeous Kate or more into watching pole dancers spread their legs for him or strippers wiggling their butts at him. Then again, I wish Kate would just slap him on back of his head like Gibbs on NCIS. But, keep them married. And I wish a director would get him to take his hands out of his pockets while delivering his lines. Sheesh! But I digress. Sir Capt. Gates character has been dropped by the new Showrunners much to Penny’s dismay. I will miss Penny and how she as Capt.Gates made Castle earn her respect. Back to Stana, as part of her contract, Stana will be a Castle Producer as well. I am happy for her as apparently she wants to grow as an actress and beyond! And, no, she’s not a Diva. I met her a couple of times and she was very nice to me and the other fans which btw is all I hear and read about her. I am looking forward to the changes in the show and the new characters!

14. CastleBuzz says:

Would have been nice if either the interviewer or especially Nathan had bothered to learn Toks Olagundoye’s last name and how to pronounce it. He had to have expected to be asked about her this weekend.

• Georgia madman says:

Who cares….other than you?

• c-mo says:

Not necessarily, NF and AT were talking to Ausiello for Con Man and not Castle. MA only asked NF at the end of their CM interview if NF would indulge him a couple of questions about Castle. Filming hasn’t started yet so he hasn’t had a chance to meet her and more importantly, he doesn’t have any say over casting. And as he says in the CM trailer, not all famous people know each other.

• CastleBuzz says:

First, I said it would have been nice, not necessary. Second, it would hardly be unexpected for Nathan to get queries about Castle this weekend, including the new cast member, and he could have been prepared. Would have been polite. Third, I looked up her name in less than a minute as soon as she was announced. Toks deals with it first thing in her website bio and includes how to pronounce it — exactly as I thought since most translated African names are phonetic. As for Ausiello not knowing it, very unprofessional.

• lkh says:

ya know, probably would have been a good idea but I know for me, some names are just not my gift. A little space here might be nice. Also, I’m not always a 100% fan of NF, but one thing I do know, he’s VERY polite. I’ve seen him in informal interviews–it is very clear that this is part of him being Canadian, he has said on numerous occasions that his parents had certain expectations in this regard. What we know about Canadians–they’re polite, they have health care and don’t kill each other.

I disagree.

• lkh says:

just in general?, about the world?, about NF?, about Canadians?, about …

• CastleBuzz says:

lkh: “just in general?, about the world?, about NF?, about Canadians?, about …
            Did you mean to say you disagree or that you’re disagreeable? You got a little edge today…”

Sorry, I hated that interview and Nathan’s “don’t worry” silliness with Alan. Took it as a dismissal of Castle and its fans. So, yeah, I guess I got a bit edgy and disagreeable. My apologies to one and all. And thanks for making me laugh with your post.

I actually wrote a three graph response to you but it was rejected by the board’s mod. Nothing too nasty in it, just that I: 1) have seen N be less than polite on panels (talking over others to make jokes); 2) have experienced rudeness from Canadians and extreme politeness and helpfulness from Americans (including New Yorkers) so I don’t agree with sweeping statements by nationality; 3) don’t agree national “free” health insurance/care is a good thing; and 4) believe Canada’s low homicide rate has more to do with its low population density (comparable to a number of US states with similarly low density).

• lkh says:

CastleBuzz On’td aysay anythingway adbay aboutway Athannay illionfay–ouyay illway ebay oasttay!

• CastleBuzz says:

ikh: “CastleBuzz–I too wrote, which has to be, the greatest response to you ever! Unfortunately, it’s been eaten by something…Basically a great thesis on the whys of the tension of the show-I must have clearly have gotten it right, because it’s been redacted.”

Damn, I would have liked to have read that. I enjoy your posts and sense of humor, even if I don’t always agree.

ikh: “However, in summary I’m not totally opposed to what you say about the behavior amongst the cast, one in particular, but I do think you’re, obviously, incorrect about Canada and Canadians. Hopefully, this will not be struck by a missile.”

Thankfully, not struck. I was just pointing out that I don’t like stereotypes by nationality. Canada is a beautiful country and the Canadians I’ve met have been mostly delightful people. But I can say that about many other countries as well, including all over the US. I take people one by one as individuals.

• CastleBuzz says:

Sorry. That should be lkh (not ikh).

• lkh says:

CasttleBuzz–you not only take people one by one, you also take things very seriously. Stay calm. Forget the interview experience-it made you unhappy. I don’t make hasty or sweeping generalizations in real life. We could do some rates by stratified areas of these countries, by any other variables that may be interesting, including an individuals available space, access to many other potential attributable variables, age, gender, SES, race, religion and blah, blah and yada, yada, and come up with some really boring stuff, which in the long run can only be generalizations or else nothing would ever get decided or done–OR–we could just have some fun. I gotta do that stuff all the time. Here, it’s just Castle.
            ps I said NF has a ‘big brother’ ‘king’ type of complex–said with more subtlety than this–hope this busts through. shhhhhh lkh

• CastleBuzz says:

lkh, my secret is that I can be serious and calm at the same time. One part, personality, one part, occupational hazard. And I love that “boring stuff” you say you do while enjoying your sense of humor about it. BTW you might be on to something with your “big brother, king complex” although I might call it I’m-number-1-on-the-call-sheet complex in honor of something he said on a blooper reel.

• lkh says:

CastleBuzz–I’ll try this again–see what happens. But it’s time to go to bed.

Here’s what I think about what’s going on set. I’m not being overcritical of NF. Please censors. Anyway, he was the first to be cast and probably the most well known and most experienced of the cast. SK wasn’t(nor the rest of the cast) and for the first season or so, he was very helpful and she’s mentioned this many times. He, I think likes that position over the group. I think it’s probably difficult to give up–it’s attention and to a lesser extent power. She may have outgrown this and would like the working relationship to be different. Perhaps this is hard to give up and he has a teasing personality and may be one way to keep his position. So we hear about her mis ques, nasal speech sometimes, spells her character incorrectly, etc. At least he doesn’t slap her (in jest) like he does the others. This smacks of male ego to me. Artists love attention and have good size egos. People grow and change–when others don’t accept that and the relationship doesn’t change with it–tension happens. He does like to tease and tell jokes. My understanding is that he is the best guest at a party. These can be very typical relationships people experience at work, but I believe sides may have been taken. Wouldn’t care except it appears to be influencing/impacting the show. I don’t know, this is just guessing. But I have seen him treat strangers and interviews with respect and politeness. I think some of what we see is him being himself with coworkers which you might be deciding is impolite behavior, I think more likely an effort to maintain his status as the guy who will help and the guy, at least in the cast, who will train the others and the guy who knows best and can tease and get away with it. When I’ve watched the back scenes from the show, it seems to me that some of this could be happening. It might be a power struggle at a certain level. Even so this might be true, I still believe on the whole they’re both good people. This of course is mere SPECULATION–I have no inside information, just been paying some attention. On occasion, this may have gotten out of control and impacted the work. Me GUESSING, SPECULATION, I DUNNO

It sorta reminds me of raising a kid–they learn stuff, make up their minds, leave and stop listening to what we say–that’s hard to let go of.

I’m tired, hope this makes a modicum of sense, off to bed.

• lkh says:

human stuff going on here.

• CastleBuzz says:

Wow, lkh, it’s like we could be twins! :) My thoughts exactly on this situation, again all just speculation on my part too. I actually found the bloopers, especially the slapping one, from the past couple of seasons very telling. Best guest at the party, funniest kid in the class, but not really knowing when to stop and not always able to take what he dishes out.

• Ellen says:

Wow you are really desperate for something to complain about. That’s the best you can come up with? He never said her name nor did he indicate whether he knew how to pronounce it or not. Maybe we should poll the rest of the cast and see if all the others learned how to say it.

• CastleBuzz says:

If any of the rest of the cast were expecting to answers questions in a public forum this weekend, I would have expected the same of them.

15. Luc says:

What i really want was…
    … the rest of the interview! :D

16. Matt says:

I wouldn’t what it to over stat it’s welcome but if fans don’t like the changes then the show will prob end this season

17. Mike Q says:

I wonder if Katic insisted on a breakup to sign on to season 8 and that was the holdup in negotiations. Either way, I want nothing to do with this “new direction.” Last season was the perfect close for these characters for me.

• Just one thing says:

I’m curious how fans could come to the conclusion that Katic would at all behind a hypothetical Caskett break-up.
      She was a consistent champion for the couple for many seasons, and it’s her portrayal of Beckett over the past couple seasons that have primarily sold the romantic side of the relationship.
      She isn’t shy about recognizing or publicly addressing her co-star — whether it’s about Castle’s “progression” throughout Season Seven in an interview; encouraging fans to vote for him in the PCAs; or wishing him happy birthday on Twitter.
      She doesn’t purposely misspell the name of her co-star’s character. And she doesn’t reserve the only times to quasi-reference her co-star on social media for awkward or negative comments.
      I understand that not all viewers may be aware of all that, though. You have to REALLY be paying attention sometimes to see it.

uh oh. Into the fray…

• Harvey says:

lol! Better learn to take a joke bro, I mean you seriously hated the ”misspelling”, then don’t see tweets anymore, simple.

• CastleBuzz says:

How was that a “joke?” Please explain for those of us who are humor impaired.

• Harvey says:

He tweets like this! Always, in some funny or strange or nerdy way. If you actually have that of a big problem with it then you have a problem with most of his tweets, and then you really don’t need to see them. :)

• Harvey says:

And BTW, Mike Q didn’t say it was Beckett being bored on-screen, it was Stana as she signed too late and all, now that means that she might want something new or different, not necessarily that Mike Q is saying she looks bored on screen.

• Just one thing says:

If one really wanted to read into the Hilarious Misspelling Joke, one might consider how often “Beckett” has unexpectedly trended in the States during key episodes of the show since Season Five. “Beckett” even trended during major story arcs focusing on other characters, and when other hashtags were being promoted – again, unexpectedly.
          One might surmise that if someone, with many (many) fans were to tweet “Beckett,” it might be retweeted many (many) times, thus making it likely to unexpectedly trend again.
          So, one might guess that the misspelling of an oft-trended character would make it less likely to trend.
          If one were to really look at it closely. Maybe. Perhaps.

• Harvey says:

Actually, that would be looking way too closely! I mean seriously, what’s up with you guys today, it’s like trying to complain about something in someway. I mean seriously, you just thought all of that to prove he misspelled for some Grand Plan and strategy when it was just a simple tweet, I didn’t say it was hilarious, lol, I said it was said in a funny way a joking way, you are just making a big deal out of nothing. I mean how sensitive are you really?

• Just one thing says:

I’m very sensitive, Harvey. Very sensitive.

• Harvey says:

Yeah, I felt that, sorry about it. Stay happy, stay blessed. :)

Ditto, buddy.

• CastleBuzz says:

Thank you, JOT. You hit all the points I was going to, but so much better than I would have. If – IF – there is any real tension between them, the “evidence,” such as it is, certainly doesn’t support it being her fault.

• Carly says:

Never gave it any thought but yeah I get your point. One does go all out to make it known they don’t like the other, whilst one is carefree, encouraging, happy go lucky and not phased in any way. She treats him like any other friend. But if Stana did request to not work with him, it’s probably because the situation has become uncomfortable. I mean if it’s true, then imagine your co star taking jabs at you, even in the pettiest way of not spelling the name right etc. Nathan is not a stupid guy so it’s done on purpose for sure. So maybe she doesn’t want to be subjected to that anymore. Maybe they’re happier acting apart and that’s why the new ppl to be with each. But this is normal in the entertainment industry. One minute they’re besties, next they hate each other…lol. The thing is I don’t believe Nathan doesn’t get along with her but what seems childish of him is why he tries so hard to show he hates her. I mean she’s married! She’s been with her current hubby for like 8 years! So what’s his issue? Actors drama I guess. Hollywood drama.

• Just one thing says:

Yeah, at this point I’m beyond caring what happened. I just don’t understand how it’s been allowed by the network to degrade the quality of the show for so long.
          Bizarre creative choices aside… There was a time a few years ago when you couldn’t PAY the media to cover Castle BTS, and over two years they became the center of far too much vaguely negative attention.
          Very unfortunate given the show’s reputation among guest stars and crew.
          And likely preventable.

• Emmakingg says:

Well, I see it. And as much as try to like the guy, it just really gets under my skin the blatant disregard and disrespect he has for his co star. No ones asking them to be bff’s, but his tactics towards her have been, well, tacky…

• LL624 says:

Lol. *applause* Favorite comment. So true.

• John NYC says:

I bet she wanted a bigger trailer, with an Infiniti pool.

Or.

Not.

18. B says:

Things do not have to change. This whole stupid storyline is a result of the tension between NF and SK and it is ridiculous.

• Matthew says:

If there is tension it’s only on Nathan’s side. Stana seems fine:) always so happy and easy going., happily married finally to her 9 year boyfriend. Well whatever their supposed issues are they are actors just do the job. And personally I think if the tension was that bad, Stana would have just left. She was ready to anyway. So ignore all those tension rumours, it’s bts which doesn’t concern us. And if the changes are terrible we just stop watching. If they break up im out because it won’t be entertaining for me. Don’t stress out. It’s just a show.

Well said.

• whoa nellie says:

I am willing to admit that nobody, ie. fans, knows what the situation is BTS. It took awhile for me to admit that something is amiss with these two. Not knowing details I can’t assign blame, or even if blame is to be assigned to either NF or SK.
        But I can say that when I first noticed that something had changed between the two I really thought that it seemed that Stana continued to try and when Nathan was not in his world of being goofy he seemed to be just going through the motions.
        Then I sensed that Stana gave up and that her usually up to par acting continued only when the scenes did not involve Nathan being a part of the scene. During those scenes with NF SK looked either puzzled or in a state of just wondering WT***
        Something was wrong, something probably is still wrong between them so I don’t think improved scripts and Caskett will solve it.
        My solution would be to separate the two in the best way possible, while giving the fans interesting episodes.
        If NF wants goofy then give him goofy but please only in small doses and mask that with well written dramatic episodes for Stana with a bit of her sharp wit thrown in. She handles that so good with the eyes and facial expressions. She’s up to the challenge.
        I certainly can survive without what the awkward Casket has become. It’s gone, over and the show runners should not force it on them or the fans.
        If you fail in the separation, then end the show and stop insulting everyone with the chaos the show became in S7.
        I agree that NF looks a little old and out of shape, but if he allowed hints of gray in his hair and/or facial hair he would look more like a well respected best selling writer and father to a young adult. It would give the message of aging gracefully.and the weight gain would fit in.

• lkh says:

Whoa Nellie!!! great name and great post. I tried to say this stuff, but you’re much nicer than I. Thank you.

• CastleBuzz says:

Ditto what lkh wrote. Nicely put.

• nb says:

To tell the truth I can’t stand Castle’s overdramatic episodes, they’re very trite and grating, to me. No one I know who watches Castle enjoys them, so it’s a little weird to see them treated here with such respect. Actually when we used to watch Castle with the group of friends we always joked about the poor actress who has to endure this bombastic crap and present the most trite version of badass there is. I mean Beckett. Mostly all the drama was about her as I remember. We used to point out overused acting and story tropes and laugh. Good times.

I dropped Castle in season 5 I think. The humor got stale and the drama completely unbelievable. But it sounds strange to me how everyone seems to want to lay that at the actors feet. As if the goofy side is totally Fillion’s blame and the drama is something sophisticated and done exclusively for Stana Katic because she is a real expert in sophisticated acting. I’m talking after reading all the comments here. To each their own, but sounds very strange to me. Also all this digging into tweets, that a character’s name was misspelled to not let it trend on twitter…. You’re going deep guys. I know that most fandoms are like that, but wanted to remind you that if you look into something with negative bias then you’re gonna find lots of proof. It’s a known fact.

I had no clue that Fillion has such a negative rep with Castle fans that some of you just go around interpreting every little thing he does in a negative way. Like one commenter here, just goes through the comments to dump on everything from Con man to his manners, acting, moral and so on. Very unusual for me because the circle I come from has nothing but great things to say about Nathan Fillion. Like a modern day saint heh. Many of my buddies or friends of friends met him, some of them several times, two of them worked with him. And from all of them, from their experience and impressions emerged a rep that is very far from what you guys here believe. I don’t know how true is that, maybe both sides have some truth in them. But what I know is, with all this information, I absolutely can’t see how Nathan Fillion can be this scheming, greedy, jealous, unprofessional, petty, egotistical little monster that some here want to see. Just no way. It would’ve come out one way or another, except in the TVline comments I mean. I don’t know about his relationship with his Castle costar, heard no rumors. So it’s probably not as bad as you think, it would’ve come out too, through crew, guests and so on. One of my friends I mentioned worked on the Castle set and says it’s totally amazing, including both leads. His scenes were with Nathan so he mostly talked about him, but he didn’t notice any tension at all. But even if they have a problem between them, I can’t see it out of the gate as only his fault by default. Like I said everything I know about him contradicts this diva-like image, someone who creates problems just because he can, as some here believe. This I can outright say is not true at all.

• Cassie says:

You dropped Castle in season 5 and you’re still here? Man, talk about attachment issues.

• CastleBuzz says:

What a perfect example of what Nathan fans do all the time — take some minor criticisms of their “saint” and claim the “critics” are calling him a “scheming, greedy, jealous, unprofessional, petty, egotistical little monster.” Whoa…get some perspective. First step in the program: NF is not a saint. No one is.

• lkh says:

If you’re referring to my post, clearly I didn’t do a good job in transmitting the tone or intent of what I said. I think I said many times that I thought he was a good person and really not impolite, as is she a good person. I have also heard that the set is an unusually nice situation in which to work. What I was trying to impart was a possible working dynamic that might make it stressful and trying to speculate why that dynamic exists. As I said, that’s human stuff going on. It doesn’t mean they hate each other, it doesn’t mean he’s evil, doesn’t mean he has bad intent, etc. I think these issues arise when we spend so much time with others, and they do spend an extraordinary amount of time together. Does he probably like to tease? yup. Would you put up with it 12 hrs a day, 4-5 days a week for months-I dunno. Do I think he’s doing this with malice-dunno, but probably not. Do I think there’s some truth in why it’s happening-yup. Do I consider this a serious personality flaw? nope, but probably annoying. Is he scheming-doubt it;is he greedy, don’t think so; is he jealous, jealous might be a strong word, slightly challenged more like it; unprofessional–on some scale if it’s impacting the show; petty-probably not; egotistical–probably, don’t you need to be at least to some extent in that profession, could you survive without it; a little monster, nope, he’s really a big guy, not little(I’m kidding here-he’s not a monster, big or little). Is this all there is to him, nope. Have you enjoyed the company of everyone you’ve ever worked with? If no, was that person evil? Would you liked to be teased and laughed at 12 hrs a day for 6 days a week–this might be an exaggeration, but for me, a little bit of that goes a long way. I’m not sure this is “bad”, I think it is what happens between people, and may account for some of what we see/feel about the change in comfort between them. If someone I work with tells me I have OCD and stop bothering them about neatness, I don’t consider this to be a huge personality flaw, just that this is a part of me that they note is at times a little annoying. Am I silly when I should be serious? frequently. Is that evil?- probably, :]. And this doesn’t rule out things I might do well or make me a monster. (well, I might be a monster about crooked paintings on the walls!). You’re right, between people things/relationships are rarely one sided. Each person brings something to the table. I know and have observed less about her because she has designed her life that way. I do know that she’s extraordinarily shy–does she over react to his teasing? how the hell would I know? Is that even true? how the hell would I know?
            The only reason I’m spending anytime on this topic, is that it might be impacting the show. Other than that, such matters would not be part of my thinking.

• CastleBuzz says:

Excellent, lkh. What you wrote about certain behaviors being annoying after a while is what I meant by what I posted above: “Best guest at the party, funniest kid in the class, but not really knowing when to stop and not always able to take what he dishes out.” It’s the constant need to be funny that I see in Nathan that annoys me, as for example in this interview. It’s what I also don’t like in the character Castle. I don’t know if Nathan brings that element to Rick or if the show runners and writers do because they see it in Nathan, but sometimes enough is enough. Still, as lkh says, the only reason for discussing this is that it might be impacting the show.

• LL624 says:

The dramatic scenes, and Stana’s portrayal of them, make up my favorite episodes of the entire series so it’s a little weird to me for them not to be respected. Strange…

• LL624 says:

I don’t want them separated, but I agree with most of this. Nathan’s good for the goofy, Stana’s great for the drama and wit. Play to their strengths.

19. m3rcnate says:

All it takes for Castle and Beckett to be exciting and fun and sexy and funny is for the writers to write better dialog.
    You don’t need to break them up or have one cheat or anything like that to make the couple interesting for us viewers/fans, no, just WRITE BETTER DIALOG PLEASE.

• lkh says:

That’s throw in a better story–just for giggles.

• Matthew says:

Totally agree with you. There’s very few ppl on this thread that is mature and makes sense and you are one of them.

Just write better. We don’t need new actors, nothing against the 2 new ppl but honestly I don’t care for the additions. The main cast is enough. Give them good plots and cases, grow caskett realistically, stop the OTT CIA,, Al Qaeda nonsense…because it’s so believable that a goofy writer was the way to stop Al Qaeda??! Stop the silly arcs. Cases and caskett is all this show needs. It’s what got them 12 million viewers right? So why change that.

• CastleBuzz says:

I am so hoping that Stana’s “nail biter” reference and the so-called Caskett break-up, if there is one, has to do with cleaning up the mess that was Rick’s disappearance and the subsequent “resolution” in Sleeper. Clean it up, make it make sense, give us some reasonable answers to the kidnapping, the dengue fever antibodies, the gunshot wound, the two-month period, and wrap it up forever, never to be revisited unless it makes sense to character-wise. Then move on to COTWs that a NYPD homicide squad would face.

• PacIslRocks says:

You left out the scene where Castle drops $10Grand in a dumpster. What was that about? Was it explained and I missed it? Same with the camp scene that Kate and Javi found near a river. Did I miss the explanation for that scene, too. I agree that Castle’s disappearance then reappearance episodes need some cleaning up.

20. Momo says:

I personally hope for facial hair in the next season, it’s a good look for him.

• lkh says:

whoa! good for you! remember when the rescued him from that boat–egads the had a shadow. yes, he also had that shadow in the first season.

• Linda says:

I think this is really to each their own. I think he looks terrible, unrecognizable and old. A five o’clock shadow is ok but this full on thing is not good. He looks so old to me.

• Just one thing says:

I think different facial hair styles are pretty good on him. It’s not an easy look to pull off, but would be nice to see on the show sometimes.

21. Will still watch the show….. Season 8, but when Stana is gone, then I am too !!!

22. Regina says:

For those laying blame for problems at the feet of one of the show’s actors, remember things are not always as they seem. Any perceived tensions may have a foundation from a source that you don’t expect. That same actor you choose to blame has many years in
    the industry with a stellar reputation for being professional, appreciative of his cast & crew and a delight to work with. When you hear the same comments from so many sources, there is usually some truth in there. Therefore it’s more likely to be emminating from a different source entirely.

Okay. Maybe.
      I think the time came a long time ago to stop trying to determine the WHY/HOW, because it’s truly pointless. Whatever it is, it’s done.
      As a viewer, I’d just like to think there’ll be a time when I can watch and follow the show without this looming shadow of meh.
      If better, stronger storytelling will allow me as a viewer to fully immerse myself in a Castle episode without constantly being thrown out of a scene by either poor continuity, bad characterization or awkward chemistry, then great. But I’m not going to hold my breath on that. I do look forward to some great writing, though.
      Absolutely willing to give Season Eight Eight a chance, but I’m also prepared for a lot of the same from before. And I’m sure it’ll all be Andrew Marlowe’s fault, too…

• CastleBuzz says:

That’s true about that actor’s reputation as it is true about the actress’s. So who? what? is the different source? Where is this emanation coming from? It’s quite evident on screen that Nathan doesn’t have the ease around Stana in scenes as he once had. He’s stiff, a bit aloof, standoffish, especially when they’re alone. She seems the same to me. That’s really all we have to go on.

• Kelly says:

I agree. Stana and Nathan always have people singing them praises. Any guest star on the show will say how wonderful and kind both are:) there’s just no way that they can be so kind to others but not each other. I’ve always felt this whole tension thing is completely made up for drama. Remember the interview Tamala jones gave in early s5…it was a podcast so I’m sure you can google it. Someone asked her about the rumored tension, she laughed and said that was absolutely ridiculous. She said that when they heard abt it, she was angry with fans and wanted to set them straight but Stana told her to leave it be. Let fans think what they want. Do go and google it, you should find that interview. She said they adore each other, there aren’t divas on set or any drama. If anything, they avoid each other because of crazy fans. I remember once Penny posted a pic of herself hugging Stanas husband Kris on the s4 wrap party…oh my god the drama that followed! Some were soooo mean to him, calling him ugly, fat, apparently unlike Nathan. Wth! It got so bad that Marta Avery, the editor them tweeted and threatened to stop posting any castle stuff if fans didn’t stop. Stana is now married to Kris and I’m sure Nathan has some girlfriends hanging around😜…so I don’t blame them for avoiding each other because of crazy fans.

• Kelly says:

Someone unlikely would be someone who has nothing to do with the show. But who? o yeah it’s probably another source but castle buzz is right as well. Nathan does tend to act awkwardly, whereas Stana has much more easiness to her. Maybe it’s just their personalities, I don’t know. But Nathan definitely needs to relax a little. He will do a much better acting job if he did.

• Linda says:

Good post Kelly. I remember that photo of Kris and Penny. Poor guy got awful hate. Yeah to an extent Marta made that threat. But Stana as usual took it in stride and dealt with it with grace and dignity. Very happy for her now that she and Kris are married:)

And yes, Fillion needs to relax more. He looks tense for no reason, like he’s scared to touch Stana. She ain’t that fragile dude.

• Charlie says:

I’ll keep it simple boys and girls. Who cares if Nathan doesn’t like Stana or vice versa. All he’s got to do is NOT show it on tv. Nobody cares if they kill each other once my screen fades to black, but on screen he had better start doing a better job. Petty jabs and games don’t work for me. Also, just because every star that’s worked with them says they’re great, doesn’t mean they are. Let’s not forget, this is holly jungle, everyone is pretty much fake in liking others just to be popular or get other ” famous” friends! Esp up and coming actors. Raving abt how great the leads are get them in good books of fans and the actors yes. Now I’m not saying Nathan and Stana are actually mean ppl, just that they are certainly not saints( someone actually said Nathan is!) lol that is outrageous. They are generally good ppl but with flaws. They aren’t perfect so enough with the oh everyone says Nathan is great so he must be! Who is this everyone? Actors? Obsessed fans? Fans who met him for 10 seconds? Fans at cons? Hey I can be very nice too for a few hours with fans if I’m being paid loads. And being nice to other actors gets my name around. So wake up guys, it’s all business. it’s their job to you know act! And since when does any guest star tweet oh it was horrible working with them? Ppl generally don’t tweet the negatives only positives, again to gain fan base. If an actor says Nathan is so nice, next thing he’s got 1000 new followers. Same for Stana. Don’t be so gullible. It’s ok to like actors but please don’t call them saints and gods etc. they are flawed and they mess up like every one of us. So yeah just because ” everyone” says Nathan is so nice or Stana is so polite doesn’t mean they don’t have moments of craziness. Keep that in mind. Nobody especially a fan will ever know what the star is like. And this is a quote from Stana. And she’s on the dot! Only their families will know them. I mean did you ever think Cosby would turn out to be what he is? Or that priest family. It happens everyday. You think you know someone then bam there are hidden monsters. So let’s forget the drama between them bc really we will never know. Make peace with that and just hope s8 has better caskett interaction.

23. CarlaUK says:

Agree there needs to be change in the working dynamic. That is what I am hoping for in Season 8. I doubt very much that the relationship between Castle and Beckett will be threatened too much. That would mean a certain death knell for the show.

24. N says:

Glad Castle is back!

25. Rose says:

I think Castle gets better and better And it worked out great after they got married which sometimes it dozen`t

26. lame says:

Let’s see, the writers got bashed for storylines that have yet to be seen, NF and SK got bashed for their failure get along supposedly, the entire S 8 is being trashed for the direction it may take.Austell is being bashed for his lack of professionalism. I’m glad you people like the series, I hate to think of the vitriol I’d read if you hated the show. Ha

• CastleBuzz says:

It’s the fault of a long hiatus….or #Marlowe. Take your pick. Just joking, people.

• Waste of time........ says:

Best comment ever. The comment section used to have some interesting viewpoints–after reading these, the key word is “used to”. Now, I remember why I started skipping the postings after the article………

27. smartysenior says:

They change these shows right out of existence and then wonder why the fans left them. Ever heard of Law & Order? Just stick to the format – lighthearted cop stories with a bit of humor and the characters we love to invite into our homes weekly – and the fans will stay loyal. It boggles the mind that they’ll have a winning format with good ratings and all they can think of is to change it!!! Just idiocy. I stopped watching the show when they did that dark Kate’s Mom thing and almost left at his kidnappy deal except they got off it pretty fast. And last year’s idea of him being a PI was a rating loser also. “Things have to change” is a terrible attitude for him to have, terrible.

28. Mary says:

One thing I’d like to see this season, is instead of promoting Kate to precinct Capt., the NYPD keeps assigning “guest star” type captains, only to have something happen to each one which forces them out of the job. One could be injured (hilariously) on duty, one could be arrested, or even end up being the murderer in an ep, stuff like that. Kind of put a “Spinal Tap” spin on that story line. I hope they don’t have Kate actually running for Senate. I felt that twist at the end of this year was weird. She has NO legislative experience at all. If that plot line becomes a thing, I hope it’s simply something that is being orchestrated by Brakken behind the scenes, and not based on any sincere desire by the NYPD to actually take her out of the field and onto a campaign trail.

• lkh says:

Interesting idea about the captain position–as long as it doesn’t get too silly. I, too, hope she doesn’t run. But in real life do any of them know what they’re doing? :] Hopefully, Bracken can’t orchestrate anything anymore. Hope he’s totally gone.

• John NYC says:

It would have been a New York State Senate seat, a bit above something totally local but not by all that much. State legislatures get filled from a wide variety of backgrounds.

29. Tom-VA49 says:

Although there are a large number of Rick and Kate stories left to tell, I think the focus has to shift to Kate. Her life has gone through the most changes and we’re curious about how she deals with them. I’d like to see an episode with Kate, Martha, and Alexis together. I’d also like to see how Kate copes with her father-in-law’s profession. Let’s not forget that Kate is now a Castle too.

If Nathan wants shorter work weeks, he’s going to have to share the spotlight.

30. As long as “Caskett” stay together, and they don’t kill one of them off I’m okay with whatever happens. I think they are running out of ideas, but I have to admit that the “PI” thing threw me for a loop. It’s funny how much I think I want it to change, until Castle is banned from the precinct. Guess if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

31. lame says:

Personally I like chang,e, the draw was the sassy exchanges between Rick and Kate. As long as that’s maintained and the Castle family unit evolves with Alexis choosing a totally unexpected vocation, it really wouldn’t matter what Kate does.

• lame says:

Stop and think the show can easily continue without Esposito ,Ryan and Lanie. It might not be the same but Casket and the family is all that’s needed.

• abz says:

I agree. I actually wish the show would get rid of Ryan, Esposito, and Lanie. I find them to be annoying, uninteresting, and I don’t think they add anything to the show anymore. Ryan is annoying and nosy. Espo’s a douche most of the time. Lanie’s role can be played by anyone basically. And the whole she’s Beckett’s best friend thing makes me roll my eyes. Based on what? They barely talk or hangout. Kate didn’t even have her at her wedding. The supporting cast that the show currently has are not the best to be honest. They also cannot carry episodes on their own. I find the Ryan or Espo-centric episodes to be mostly tedious to watch. I wish they’d replace them with some fresh characters, but I know that wont happen. Hopefully these new additions this season will be interesting characters and good for the show. They need to add some more interesting characters for the leads to interact with and they need to plan them out and write them well because they completely failed with that Tory character.

32. Bill says:

I would like to see Hayley as the new villain since one of the main ones (3xk) is dead. I’d also like to see caskett have a baby

33. Lorna says:

I hope the change that Nathan Fillon is referring to is not going to involve a separation or estrangement between the newlyweds. I hope it’s going to be all positive on their relationship, their love stronger than ever. I would love it if Castle will continue on to Season 9 and beyond!

34. Will lainie be back in season8

• CastleBuzz says:

Yes. As far as we know, all the regulars are back except for Captain Gates (Penny Johnson Jerald)…at least for now.

35. whoa nellie says:

lkh says:
    July 10, 2015 at 11:22 PM
    The above post from lkh is so on target and assessed from an outside viewer.
    In my opinion lkh has a finger on what has been my assessment of the situation between NF and SK.
    Except I would also add another determining factor that I have peeped regarding the motivation of NF. I have a sense that he tends to objectify women and the friction continues and elevates because SK is not a woman to be put a in neatly wrapped box. She seems to continue to explore and grow and evolve.
    Stana is an individual. So NF, I say give up. Take her as she is.

• CastleBuzz says:

Intriguing, whoa nellie. I’ve felt that vibe from him as well. Good add to lkh’s hypothesis.

• whoa nellie says:

Another thing that lkh mentioned that caught my attention…(is he jealous, jealous might be a strong word, slightly challenged more like it).
        I too think jealous is a strong word and I too would say challenged. But again I would take that a step further and include threatened.
        Let’s walk around in his moccasins. You are hired on a show called Castle, you play Castle. Do you assume you are the star of that show named for your character? Yes, you probably do think that and you believe that the show will be centered around you.

But along comes this beautiful co-star and in your mind, a supporting star. In your mind, a rookie. Not only is she the idea of what people define as having the looks of a Hollywood star she is also talented. She most often is noted for that acting talent not to mention she is also noticed for that beauty. Soon the show is focused more on that talented beauty and you start to feel as an ‘also ran’. Some even refer to the show as ‘The Beckett Show’.
        You don’t factor in that she works hard because all you see is that she stole your thunder. Your thunder is muted by this lady and who do you resent? Who do you feel threatened by. Answer, the person standing next to you everyday, She stole your thunder, your moment to shine. But your ego was already there and she just exacerbated the situation, unintentionally. She just wanted to act.
        Your need for extra attention was already there and that need became grew because you had to share that attention and in some situations, you found that you were required to yield to the attention she was getting.
        You must now share the Castle fandom. So to elevate yourself and stroke that need for attention, you to continue to present yourself to the Cons when it is so obvious that the past due date has come and gone. Nevertheless you don’t have to share at the Cons.

So I will not berate him for some of his actions but rather I will try to understand them.
        Because, truth be told, I like The Beckett Show so much more. And truth be told, I think he would get on my nerves.
        When Stana quit, I understood.

• LL624 says:

Haha. Nope, I was wrong. This is my favorite comment. Still the same person, though.

• CastleBuzz says:

Whoa Nellie said: “Yes CastleBuzz, But remember that we continue to be on the outside looking in and can’t know for sure.”
          Agree, which is why I used the terms “vibe” and “hypothesis,” as well as “if” when talking about the supposed tension between SK and NF. We’re all just speculating with very little factual evidence.
          As for the rest of your post, it’s a synopsis of the classic “A Star Is Born,” any of the versions Hollywood has produced over the years, the story of the newcomer taking the spotlight from the established star. It’s “All About Eve” with Bette Davis. It’s Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd in “Moonlighting.” IMO there might be a teeny, tiny bit of it between Nathan and Stana, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near the level you describe.

• TVHead says:

Here it is months later as I reread these comments.Oh the future is for many a sad one.And I believe your theory to be true.I have believed it so for a while now, but the future it does open our eyes…

• giggle says:

So the agreement in the comments to this article is basically that two costars on a show MUST hate each other if they have no Twitter interaction. And if they do hate each other it MUST be because of Nathan Fillion being a jealous misogynistic egomaniac while Stana Katic just wants to act and forget all this Hollywood crap.

That’s totally objective LOL.

I’m not such a great specialist in all things Fillion like some people here who even watch his appearances at Comic Con to pick up on what else is wrong with him LOL. But even I know that he has longstanding friendships with lots of women that you wouldn’t call weak or subservient. Like Felicia Day or Gina Torres and many others. If he was such a male chauvinist who couldn’t stand a woman on an equal footing with him I think it would have come out earlier in the game. But he has a great reputation among his peers as far as I know. Both men and women.

So if they have problems between them I would be more inclined to think it’s something more complicated and adult. And not one-sided, where one of them is a little flower and another one a gremlin. It’s very unbelievable and childish to think so.

• Just one thing says:

I don’t think Fillion is sexist. But I don’t think he’s The Saint of Sci-Fi, either. I also don’t think Katic is an innocent, pure little lamb. I think they’re both incredibly smart and well-liked individuals.
        At the end of the day, like EVERY other show out there, we only have their public and social media interactions to go by when making our assessments.
        When one or both stars of a show appear to be avoiding interaction, viewers are going to eventually notice. The fact that the press, who apparently for years have been told joint interviews aren’t gonna happen, has let it slide is nice, and I’m sure appreciated.
        But fans of the show don’t have to abide by that professional courtesy, and are allowed to note when it’s impacting the show.

• CastleBuzz says:

Excellent point, JOT. We’ve seen something change between these two actors onscreen and off, in interviews, promotional shoots, social media. It was particularly glaring because it happened just when the two characters they portray were actually getting closer and closer together. It’s only natural for viewers to wonder why and what happened.
          Giggle, once again an apparent fan of Nathan’s has escalated relatively minor criticisms and speculations to claims of “hatred” and “egomania.” I don’t see anything in the posts you’re referring to that implies, never mind states, anything close to that.

• giggle says:

You say “fan of Nathan’s” like it’s something despicable and not to be trusted and not to be expected when commenting on an article about Castle. Freely admitting that I like Nathan, I also admit that my knowledge of his activities clearly falls behind yours. I barely read tweets of people I follow and don’t count how many times Nathan Fillion mentions his fellow Castle actors, I’m also not up to date with his convention panels and can’t link to prove my points, like you do. So my opinion is probably more from the outside, but I don’t know why based on it and the fact that I like Nathan my opinion should be dismissed as you just did. I thought you implied that I’m some obsessive admirer who can’t see things rationally, but the same can be said about you. When I read Castle articles on this site I usually notice your name in the comments and mostly you comment on various flaws of Nathan Fillion. I even learned your name by now because your main theme is so consistent. So who is more obsessive or irrational can be questioned.

And can’t agree on the minor criticisms part. I was talking more about some comments here in general, but even if we take just woahNellie here to whose comment I was replying, we learn that Nathan Fillion is basically a sexist pig whose “past due date has come and gone” and who can’t stand his co-lead because she is more talented and gets more attention, and also because she’s a woman who “just wants to act”. I see nothing minor in this.

• CastleBuzz says:

Giggle: Not at all dismissing your opinions just commenting on your exaggeration of the criticisms posted here to the level that some of us are calling Nathan a “jealous misogynistic egomaniac.” It’s very similar to what nb did above. I called you an “apparent fan of Nathan.” Note the use of “apparent.” I should have probably used the word “fanatic” rather than fan. It seems to me Nathan fanatics have no problem with criticizing the show, the showrunners, the writers, and all cast members aside from Nathan on this forum and elsewhere, but rise up in arms whenever the slightest negative is mentioned about him, claiming the criticism is far more than what was originally meant. I think everyone here who has commented on the supposed “tension” between the two leads, including myself and whoa Nellie, has made it clear that they are speculating.

• Harvey says:

LOL! People here turned a simple ‘Beckette’ into some plan of his, and are even ‘speculating’ that he doesn’t like that a woman is ahead or something, and based on so, way too little, evidence, saying something like that is just great dislike for him! Seriously, those criticism seem minor to you? Most ‘fanatics’ are really just trying to show that nobody really knows anything while most of you are trying to make something out nothing that Nathan does.

• Harvey says:

• giggle says:

@CastleBuzz

Like I already said I don’t see stating that someone is a has been who is jealous of his co-star because she is more talented, gets more attention and is a woman as a “slightly negative mention”. But maybe in your world and Woah Nellie’s world it’s just a harmless speculation you like to indulge in during your spare time. Nice form lumping everyone who disagrees with you as fanatics who supposedly criticize everyone who is not Nathan Fillion. You know nothing about me to claim that I do this sort of thing, but I take it as again, you speculating on your porch in your rocking chair. Apparently any slander and trolling is a “speculation” in your eyes, harmless fun.

• CastleBuzz says:

Giggle & Harvey: some practice in reading comprehension might be in order.

• Harvey says:

lol! You are write, it’s in order, you should do it. :)

• CastleBuzz says:

I already do it well enough to know you mean “right,” not “write.”

36. lame says:

Some of you people have to stop reading The Inquirer, there are much better periodicals on the newstands.

• giggle says:

You don’t say. For the last year or more every TVline article about Castle turns into this. With the same poster names I might add. I even learned their names because of it, you can count on them to bring quality us vs. them conspiracy entertainment.

37. lkh says:

YIKES! Now I’ve got a following! Y’all know you’re following someone who rides around in a clown car, yes?
    I would like out of this club. Can I have a do over? :[

• Just one thing says:

Lol Nothing wrong with having people agree with you. It’s not blind faith after all. ;-)

• lkh says:

Unfortunately JOT, I don’t know if I agree with them. huh… :)

• CastleBuzz says:

LOL Do-overs are definitely allowed and easy to accomplish here. Just say something contrary to what you’ve been saying and all your current followers will dump you. Of course, you do risk getting new followers from the Other Side [scary music plays]. Uh oh…

38. Maureen says:

I am willing to give the new Castle show runners the benefit of the doubt. The episodes they have written over the years were generally very well executed. It would be TV series suicide to break up the couple whose signature line has been “Always”. I could see some possible PTSD issues emerging as part of an arc, but never leading to a total break-up of the Caskett romance. Winters & Hawley have some work to do on making course corrections. For the life of me, I will never understand how Marlowe & Wife destroyed 6 years of storyline in what they did to both the Kate & Rick characters in the aborted wedding episode. It still annoys me a year later. The resolution as to the why & how of the groom’s kidnapping was just ridiculous. Castle Fan Fic writers had much better ideas. Now that Stana is married, perhaps she is interested in raising a family. She is 37 years old now and devoted the last eight years to the show,. Perhaps that may have factored into her decision as to whether or not to renew her contract a few months ago. She has been making back to back movies during the hiatus. Surely that was something she needed to factor into her decision. Fortunately, the new show runners have allowed her to keep her commitment to the Sister Cities movie that she has been filming this week. Quite frankly, it was Nathan that I didn’t expect to renew the contract. He has complained about how tired he is from the schedule of filming Castle and how he would like to do other roles. He had some walk-outs during Season 6, but apparently things have been resolved to his liking. Sadly, I do agree there has been some serious strain between the two lead actors. The body language between the two over the years, particularly at the Paley Center events, speak volumes. They physically sit on opposite ends of the panel and are never photographed standing next to one another, even at the cast & crew photo taken at the end of Season 7. Perhaps a conflict-resolution expert should be brought to the set to work with them. The personal strain has shown up on camera, particularly towards the ends of the last three seasons. I do believe there was some better chemistry this past year. Hopefully, that will continue in Season 8. I wish them, and the entire cast and crew, a great year. Still rooting for Caskett!

39. Alan says:

Does anyone know if Bravo or any other network is bringing back ” The Actors Studio?” If not why not?

40. aj says:

I’m looking forward to the new season.

41. Regina says:

After reading many of these comments, it is painfully obvious that two people can look at the same footage and see/feel two different things. I am a 50 year old, married with kids, professional woman. I am a Castle, Firefly & Fillion fan. I found the Con Man trailers hilarious (but I also attend cons). Evidently by some posts I shouldn’t see the humor in them based on who I am. As a Castle fan from the beginning, I guess I was supposed to be offended by the opening of NFs panel. Once again, betraying my fandom evidently, I found it funny & cute. If you listened to the end of NFs last panel he described himself then (and always does) as imperfect, can be moody, and as a real person–a big reason I am a fan. People will see, hear and interpret what they want based on their likes and biases, no matter how much research one does. (You can always find what you need to defend ones take on things). I choose instead to enjoy what I like and not make judgements or jump to conclusions on things I don’t.

• giggle says:

Apparently if you don’t engage in “mild criticisms” about Fillion being sexist and consumed with jealousy towards Stana Katic who is so above him in all respects, you’re a fanatic. I’m afraid liking Con man trailer only clinches that.

• CastleBuzz says:

There’s nothing “painful” about two people looking at the same thing and seeing/feeling two different things. It’s what makes the world interesting. Everyone here is entitled to their own view and to express that view. When you do, you’re not “betraying” the fandom if it differs from others. No one is “supposed to be offended” by something someone else is, just as no one has to like what someone else does. We all enjoy what we like, that’s a given, but some of us choose to judge and comment upon what we don’t like or are curious about as well. That’s what gives rise to conversation, discussion, debate.
      What’s ironic in your post is that there are more people here who have stated their enjoyment of the Con Man/Castle interview video than those who disliked it. It’s a split well known in the Castle fandom. Many fans of the show, like you apparently, came to it through Fillion and Firefly. Many others, like me, came to it without a clue who Fillion was and what Firefly meant. Some of the latter may well have become Fillion-Firefly fans in the ensuing years, others not so much or not at all.
      The problem with diehard Fillion fanatics is that they escalate and exaggerate every critique about him to ridiculous levels (see nb and giggle posts). That’s true too of diehard Katic fanatics as well. Unfortunately, it’s true of extremists of every kind.

42. I don’t know if it’s the angle or the suit, but Alan Tudyk has kind of a Beatlejuice headshrink effect in this video.

43. Kimberly says:

My husband and I love Castle.