Extant Season 2 Premiere Recap: Revolving Spores

Extant Season 2 Premiere

Extant‘s Season 2 premiere falls back on the age-old cautionary tale: While the astronaut’s away, the robotics pioneers will play!

OK, that’s not the most important takeaway from the CBS drama’s season opener, which finds Halle Berry’s Molly confined to a psychiatric institution in the wake of some very terrible events. But her husband John’s affair stings nonetheless, especially given the way his involvement in the story ends during the course of this episode. (At least the clues to his infidelity were well-laid —apparently, just like Julie! — last season.)

Oh, and the aliens are still out for us. That’s important, too. Read on for the highlights of “Change Scenario.”

RELATED Extant Scoop, Courtesy of Matt’s Inside Line!

HALF-TRUTHS… | The hour opens with Molly and some hot, naked guy getting it on in a shower. But when she says, “Change scenario,” it becomes clear that she’s on some kind of holodeck or something; the next scene is of her and Ethan hanging out on the floor of his room. The virtual reality session ends with a robotic voice telling Molly it’s time for her medication… and then we flash back to six months earlier.

It’s the night that the couple picked up Molly’s alien son on the bridge, and sure, why not take a strange child home and leave him alone in a room with your obviously wigged-out infant, Mr. and Mrs. Good Samaritan? Molly’s kid barricades the door with his mind, has a seizure, bleeds and then dies (maybe).

Four weeks later, Molly gives her official testimony about what happened on the space station and immediately after. Her colleague Sean died, as did all traces of the alien spores she encountered. “Without a doubt, there is life out there,” she says confidently, but then just as confidently states that there is no way any of the spores are currently on Earth.

Afterward, as Molly talks with her old friend Toby (The Walking Dead‘s David Morrissey), who’s the head of the nation’s Global Security Commission, he reassures her that not telling 100 percent of the truth is in the country’s best interests. “People spook easily,” he says, and promises her that her E.T. son is dead.

RELATED Extant Scoop: Melina Kanakaredes Lands Arc as Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s Ex

… AND CONSEQUENCES | When Molly surprises John at the lab, where he’s working on Ethan 2.0, she catches a close moment between her husband and Julie. Molly’s suspicions are tabled for a while as all three activate the newer, taller version of their humanich son (nice way to explain Pierce Gagnon’s growth, Extant!), but later that night, she wants answers. John has deleted footage from inside their home while she was gone, but our ever-resourceful Molls pulls the tape from a nearby toy and watches Julie and John carry on an affair while Molly was orbiting the planet in a glorified tin can.

“It’s been over for a while,” John says when he realizes he’s been found out, but Molly doesn’t care. Just as their fight is getting really heated, Homeland Security busts in and takes Ethan… straight to Julie? “Hello, rabbit,” she says kindly.

RELATED Extant Adds Transparent Actress as ‘Morally Ambiguous’ Robot

MORE SPORES | Turns out, Homeland Security has taken John’s humanichs program away from him (because he argued against using the androids as soldiers) and put Julie in charge (because she is a terrible human being). After the former lovers fight, John leaves in his self-driving car, which strands itself on some train tracks. When an oncoming train approaches… that’s it for Mr. Molly Woods. (Sniff.)

Which brings us back to the psychiatric center, present-day, where Molly is chilling after burning down her house and attacking Julie with a shovel. Dr. Woods isn’t acting very repentant, so it’s no surprise when her in-patient time gets extended. But when she gets word of a bloody death that sounds a lot like the alien life form’s modus operandi, she sweet-talks an employee, escapes from the facility, steals his car and makes for the crime scene.

That’s where she meets JD Richter (Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Grey’s Anatomy), a scruffy, sexy cop-for-hire who doesn’t believe that Molly can contribute much to his investigation — until she mentions that the victim was pregnant (as were a few before her), and he verifies it. Next thing you know, JD is signing Molly out of the hospital (something about her being a “material witness”), she’s telling him that the murders are really “an invasion,” and he’s believing her.

Somewhere else, a man hits on a woman at a bar, and as they walk away from some privacy, his eyes glow: He’s an alien.

Now it’s your turn. Grade the premiere via the poll below, then hit the comment to back up your choice!

1. laurelnev says:

What did I watch? THAT was a totally different show! But hopefully, they’ll just concentrate on Halle’s story line this time, and maybe make it good. It looks promising except Julie. Last season, she got duped by a mole, and now suddenly, she’s pulling strings at Homeland? Over an Astronaut? Wish they’d killed her off along with John. And wouldn’t you be smashing your way out of that car, rather than calmly conversing with an obviously hacked computer? But this whole Halle’s alien spawn impregnating single women thing looks intriguing, and I like this new investigator character. I’m in for a while, although I DO keep asking myself why. :)

• Annie says:

Three words explain that last question, my friend: Jeffrey. Dean. Morgan. OK, maybe that’s just me.

• Tracy says:

Not just you. I didn’t finish the 1st season as I got bored however I specifically watched this episode for JDM. Yum

2. ladyluck527 says:

So that was Halle’s son in the bar?

• laurelnev says:

Yeah…I’m thinking they kind of “shed their skin,” for lack of a better term. But Halle willl bump into him and IMMEDIATELY know, I’m guessing. Did they c-section Molly? I seem to vaguely remember something along those lins. So someone did not want her to explode like these ladies are apparently doing.

3. GuessWhat says:

I cannot imagine why ANYONE would return to this show after last season.
    It is REALLY hard for me to quit a series.
    This one was EASY to give up.
    Just awful last year.

• nate says:

Because we like the actors…. just a thought

• liame says:

Thank You! People who don’t watch are commenting because? “Call me hateful”! I enjoyed the episode and this story seems very interesting. Halle looks great and her chemistry with Henry is spot on!

4. GemCollector says:

Oops…Jeffrey Dean Morgan (not Henry)! :)

5. Kinda disappointed with this premiere. It was always obvious that Julie would eventually do something like taking Ethan away as either pay back for being rejected or as some sort of ploy to get her lover to her side. I was surprised about what happened to the husband but it doesn’t bother me a bit since he couldn’t keep it in his pants and he never really seemed to fully reject the woman after it was supposed to be over. The alien at the end is most likely her son, grown up and his death was just a coverup as per usual government protocol. Like someone else mentioned, this feels like a totally different show but for me, to be honest, it looked like it started going down hill at the end of the first season anyway. Hopefully they can stay on task this season, i’m willing to watch a few more episodes before I give up on watching it.

6. alanlicious says:

Why is it that execs think, to “spice up” a show they have to kill off the spouse and make the protagonist single again for new love interests or whatever?

Molly and John’s marriage was never perfect but they seemed to genuinely love each other and Season 2 rolls around and bam! Nope he’s a big old cheater and then bye bye John.

There are plenty of interesting stories to tell without tearing the main couple apart. Friday Night Lights did it with Coach Taylor & Mrs. T, White Collar never had Peter or Elizabeth cheat on each other just to have story, they stayed together for the entire run of the series. Although those were different genres but the concept doesn’t have to differ

• dan says:

Maybe John isn’t dead. We’re supposed to think his car was hit by the train, but maybe it wasn’t hit and he was kidnapped to keep quiet. Just a thought. I assumed the alien son wasn’t dead at the beginning; no way were they going to scuttle all of last season in the first two minutes of this season. I never liked the Julie character and now they don’t want me to! Works for me. I remember liking the series premiere last year and then the show went downhill after episode three or four. I’m hoping this new premise has lasting power, otherwise I won’t be sticking around to the end.

• Lee says:

They needed to keep John

7. sharon sweetman says:

Don’t change it to much. We really want JOHN back. He was really good. The show wad to different without him. Molly should be back with ETHAN

8. cookie says:

I’ll watch anything with Henry Dean Morgan! ! In it. Sooooo sexy! ! Yeah I’ll watch love they have re tooled the show.

9. cookie says:

I thought it was Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Love his eyes. They make a good pair.

10. donholley77 says:

I thought the 2nd season premiere was better than most of a boring 1st season! Maybe giving ‘Extant’ a 2nd shot was a good idea!

• Benington says:

I agree completely. This was the best episode of the entire series. I love the new concept and the addition of the two new characters. Notice that the 2 new characters brought in this season have a sci-fi fan base ( even though everyone hated the governor), from the Walking Dead and Supernatural. Smart move in the attempt to attract Sci–fi/ horror fans, that do not classically watch mainstream network sci-fi. Hope the turn around continues and that both old and new people give it a chance

11. BG says:

I thought the new guy who got her out of the institution, was an actor from Supernatural. He looked so familiar. Thought he might be Dean and Sam’s father.

12. Amanda says:

I actually liked the premiere better than the whole Season 1. To me, Season 1 got WAY off track and I think they are trying to rewrite their wrongs. Granted the whole John/Julie thing came out of left field, but really if you remember Season 1, she always had that lingering feeling around him, so I can buy it. I also think that they killed John a little too soon, but it’s better they explained it then he suddenly disappear all season. I told myself that if this season was anything like last season, I was done, but I think I just may stick around for a bit!

13. Canastia says:

The guy at the end is Halle Berry’s son…all grown up apparently. Not just some random stranger…

14. And the plot thickens. The whole thing was a bit confusing at first but, staying with it paid off. It was a shock to see John get eliminated but, that being said, it removes the stickiness between him and Molly. She will of course mourn him. Now, she only has to deal with Julie, the government, the aliens, etc. Could the “cop for hire” possibly be a new love interest for her. My belief is that they will soon get wise to Julie, she can’t continue as she has been without some kind of “come-up-ence.” I think the show has a lot of potential and can go in so many different directions. Can’t wait to watch more.

15. BrianR says:

Its kind of ripping off Species and Species 2.

16. kirads09 says:

I REALLY like Jeffrey Dean but could barely make it through. ? : Was it the fire in Johns home lab that caused the self driving car to malfunction? A server there that controlled it or something? Seemed to happen at the same time. If so – she essentially killed him! No. Different but not really an improvement in the show IMO. Not going to continue to try and make myself like it. Sad waste of premise and talent.

• Catia says:

Julie made a phone call…because he told her it was over…she got revenge for being dumped. The mistress killed him, not the wife.

• coneyro says:

My take is that Julie told the military representatives that John wasn’t going to go along with the plans to make “evil militarized humanoids” because he rebuffed her advances. John became a liability. His car’s computer was remotely programmed to stop and fail to move at the train tracks. He was deliberately murdered. Then Julie was in charge

17. Sheldon W. says:

Season one was awful but I made it through because the cast was good and I kept hoping it would turn into something more than a cliché-fest.

I made it through the season two premiere, but by killing of Molly’s husband in such a predictable, clichéd way, and giving the wreck of a human being that is Julie a more important role (via betrayal of everything she said she stood for last season), the creators/writers of Extant have alienated me to the point where I won’t watch another moment of their poorly thought out; ineptly executed farce.

18. David A Bovee says:

Fail! The season premiere is rerun the following Sunday? What is wrong with people that run the television networks? I only went back to watch the first show of season two to see if it stopped being just completely shallow and stupid and filled with nothing but Bush and Cheney style repressive authoritarian violence and slaughter of civilians. It is just the same crap as the first season and what they have for future science is just plain stupid. They have vehicles it is supposed to be cars but they have jets and style floating through the air antigravity power or something like that. That’s just stupid. The laboratory w**** who is screwing John in the first episode is floating around on one of these discs and her shower instead of wearing her replacement robot legs. the science is just stupid. what a waste of time and effort and how disappointing that there are some really good actors involved in this garbage. But now that they brought in the scummy villain from The Walking Dead to play this coming villain in this series, all of the fans won’t have to waste in the energy engaging their brains while they’re watching this failed fake Scifi show, since everything is going to be illustrated for them by shallow Sunday morning cartoon stereotypes.

19. Darnella says:

I like the show, watched season I and enjoyed the time Ms. Berry spent in space alone, well almost alone. Her husband was okay, but he needed to go, no fire in him. I like the new guy much better. The show has too many commercials. I can’t stand to watch Julie for obvious reasons. The story line needs to be tightened up a lot, more surprises with aliens and Ms. Berry interacting with each other.

20. Helga Knode says:

i liked it better last season, only because it was easier to follow the storyline. Tonight 7/8 for example I am getting confused about what is real and what she is dreaming or imagining. It’s jumping around so much I don’t really know what to think.

21. Helga Knode says:

I liked it better last season because it was easier to follow the storyline. Tonight for example(7/8) I am having trouble following Molly through what is real or appears to be and what she might be imagining. I like the new PI and his involvement in her life. Will continue to watch this program.

22. Lee says:

Why did John have to die? He is so gorgeous and should still be in the show!!

23. Debra says:

I love the cast! So glad they added Sam and Dean’s father! He’s great with Molly. I wish somehow that John was secretly still alive. Maybe in a coma state…but still alive. Who else thinks Ethan is gonna be super mad at Julie when he finds out that Molly is still alive?

24. Johnny says:

So many drastic and straight out cold changes have made Extant Season 2 a totally different show…not necessary bad, but to those people (like me) that loved the first season would feel totally cheated because of its initial narrative, a family struggle between the decisions taken in letting themselves be part of the marvels that technology have brought to their lives (Ethan) vs. the consequences of dealing with the unknown.

That family part has been scratched off completely, and the show can no longer deliver on that promise. If the producers needed to shake things up they should have ended Extant with a 2 hour Series Finally and spinned off under a different name taking place years later.

This is not the first time we see a CBS TV show takes drastic changes for the worse season after season….Just look at what happened to Under the Dome.