American Gods Greenlit at Starz With Bryan Fuller as Co-Showrunner

American Gods Series Order Starz

Cue the “That’s not in the book!” discussion in 3, 2, 1…: Starz has ordered to series an adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s popular novel American Gods.

Bryan Fuller (Hannibal) and Michael Green (Kings)will serve as writers and showrunners of the fantasy drama, the network announced Tuesday.

RELATED Exclusive: Outlander Casts Jamie’s Parisian Ex

Gaiman’s 2001 novel follows a lonely ex-con named Shadow who takes a job as a bodyguard for the mysterious Mr. Wednesday. As the two men travel the United States, Shadow becomes aware that a war is imminent between the country’s old gods (think: ancient mythology) and its new ones (think: modern technology) — and that his part in the proceedings has been predestined. Oh, and Mr. Wednesday is one of the old gods, no biggie.

The series order is similar to the network’s adaptation of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander, which has a fervent following akin to American Gods‘. In a statement, Gaiman — who will be one of the series’ executive producers — said he was “thrilled, scared, delighted, nervous and a ball of glorious anticipation” about the project, adding, “I’m relieved and confident that my baby is in good hands.”

RELATED Starz’s Power Renewed for Season 3

Bryan Fuller and Michael Green, also via statement, said, “Almost 15 years ago, Neil Gaiman filled a toy box with gods and magic and we are thrilled to finally crack it open and play. We’re grateful to have Starz above us and FremantleMedia [which will produce the series] at our backs as we appease the gods, American or otherwise.”

Have you read American Gods? Are you looking forward to Starz’s adaptation? Sound off in the comments!

1. alistaircrane says:

Hopefully this is more in line with Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies than Hannibal.

• Williwasnt says:

This show would be lucky if it were half the show that Hannibal is.

• Steven says:

I prefer the light and funnier Brian Fuller like Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls than dark and moody Brian Fuller.

• Drew says:

American Gods really wouldn’t work as one of his goofy fun shows.

• alistaircrane says:

Wow, offensive much?Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls are not “goofy”.

• Drew says:

Overusing the word “offensive” much? Yeah, they were goofy. They were great shows, but they were goofy.

• DL says:

I haven’t watched either aforementioned show, but I just had to comment and echo Drew. Of all the descriptors in the English language that could be deemed offensive, “goofy” is hardly one of them. Please, relax.

• Tom says:

I actually kind of disagree. Granted it shouldn’t go to the extremes of Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls or Pushing Daisies, all shows I LOVED, but it still needs a certain sense of offbeat humor and wonderment. The kind that Fuller is great at delivering. The only other person I would have been ok with being in charge would be Joss Whedon.

• eva says:

Hannibal is very funny! Dark, but the humor is definitely there.

• alistaircrane says:

You cannot compare Pushing Daisies to Hannibal. Hannibal is a dark, dreary, depressing crime drama. Pushing Daisies was magical, and Fuller needs to do more shows like that.

• Isobel says:

Hm I think American gods should be between Hannibal and pushing daisies in terms of lightness of tone. It is quite serious in terms of characters and events, pushing daisies style would be too light and remove the emotion of what Shadow goes through

• Temperance says:

I love Fuller’s work, but I don’t think that’s a great example. I’d hope that it’d be significantly superior…

2. justsomeguy says:

Hopefully it’s better than what he’s doing on Hannibal this season. Still hoping it gets back on track, but starting to lose hope after another completely off the wall and unfocused episode.

3. Drew says:

I hope they give it enough episodes. Outlander was great, but could have used at least two or three more episodes. Some stuff was too rushed.

4. Eliza says:

I haven’t read the book but I’ll follow Bryan Fuller anywhere so I’ll definitely be checking this out.

5. yurie says:

Hope it remains a 10-13 episode miniseries. Very very very few shows like Justified can forgo the source material and make something special.

• Rashan O'Donnell says:

Not sure if I agree with that; the American Gods world is full of quirky characters and the potential for much more – it could easily be extended beyond the book if given to a good script writer (with Gaiman’s guidance of course).

6. DreamRose311 says:

Oh thank goodness, it seems like it’s been a year since this was first announced (not too far off, looks like it was July of last year). I’m still not getting my hopes up until there’s an official release date, but I looove that it finally feels like there’s progress!!!

7. natalia h says:

I started watching Hannibal when I heard this would be the team in charge of the American Gods series. That’s how long it took them to greenlight this show! I’m so excited.

8. I don’t have Starz but I loved American Gods. Might have to order it for the few months the show will be on!

9. Sara says:

Bryan Fuller should be an amazing showrunner for American Gods! I have been nervous anytime there has been talk of it going to TV, but I have complete faith in Bryan Fuller’s ability to do the book justice, especially after the amazing and gorgeous work he has done with Hannibal.

10. Tai says:

Oh how I’ve missed the days when I could gripe about how that didn’t happen in the books. The closest I get these days are with the comic book shows. So excited that this is finally happening. Not just to fufill the inner book nazi but also because I love this book and I love Bryan Fuller.

11. JohnHasADHD says:

As someone who purchased this in hardback the day it came out and realizes that Neil Gaiman is one of the best living writers, please, please news outlets, STOP TEASING me about this…please embargo all reporting about this until it’s given a premiere date. It’s just mean already

12. Rashan O'Donnell says:

YES YES YES – American Gods is one of my favourites books of all time, and it is so so serialable.(OK new word – you get the idea)

Gaiman’s writing is one of the best 3rd person POV books out there – it really puts you in the head of the character so much so that at moments whole scenes are cut away from the reader – it would be good to see how this is dealt with – it would be good to see a bit of a more live motion view at some of these missing pieces such as:

MINI SPOILER ALERT FOR NEXT SENTENCE:

The events surrounding Shadow’s tree (you know what I mean readers – won’t give away any more).

13. Stewart says:

Bryan, you should have remained focused on Hannibal which is IMHO the best TV series ever made. Now I can’t count on you not to get distracted with some new project and leave American Gods as well. Therefore I shall not begin watching and probably liking American Gods.