TVLine Items: John Ridley's P.I. Drama for ABC, Returned Cancelled and More

John Ridley Presence

Watch out, Shonda Rhimes: ABC is quickly turning into Ridleyland.

The network has bought Presence, a detective drama script from American Crime creator John Ridley that he will also direct and executive-produce.

Described by our sister site Deadline as “a stylish update of the classic detective genre,” the pilot follows Presence Foster, a former Army Counter Insurgency Operative who finds herself navigating a widely divergent and highly colorful cross-section of Los Angeles as she unintentionally begins a career as an unlicensed P.I.

Ridley’s American Crime, meanwhile, was renewed for a second season in May (get scoop on the new storyline).

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* A&E has cancelled its thriller remake The Returned after one season.

* Big Brother‘s 24/7 live feeds will be available this year via CBS All Access (as part of the streaming service’s $5.99/month subscription). In addition, subscribers can meet the Season 17 houseguests before anyone else via a June 16 livestream of their first interviews.

* Morgan Spector (Person of Interest, Boardwalk Empire) is set to star in Paradise Pictures, USA Network’s drama pilot about a group of ambitious people striving to succeed in 1940s Hollywood. Per Deadline, Spector will play Tom Kirby, head of production at the titular film studio, who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.

* Ovation will air the Actors Hall of Fame induction ceremony this October, marking the first time the event has been televised. The ceremony will honor 15 actors for their career achievements in film, TV and theater.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Why not booked WWE superstar Dean Ambrose to appear on The Price is Right one day?

2. BrittBrat says:

I guess I don’t have to finish the last 6 episodes of The Returned!

• garlick2 says:

That’s too bad, it really was a quality show. Left off on a cliff hanger, but I was totally into that. WAY better than Resurrection.

• Neki says:

Watch the french one on Sundance, its way better. The Returned is a remake

• Lucifer says:

Aside from introductions and characters, both shows are very different and very well made. However, the budget for the American version clearly was larger while the French version had more atmosphere. Regardless, they were both great shows.

ps: the French version was also a remake of a 2004 French film.

• Pattie says:

I agree — I *love* the French original. I did check out the A&E version, which was OK, but it was definitely lacking in the moody atmosphere the French one does so well.

3. Morgan says:

How bothersome. I enjoyed The Returned, and was looking forward to a second season.

4. dj says:

Guess I’ll have to stick to the French version of The Returned. It’s really good, but I enjoyed the American version, also.

5. Cheryl says:

I’m done with A&E. I will never watch anything else from them. You get into a show, they end it on a cliffhanger, they cancel it. DONE!

• Keith says:

Every network had done the same thing at least once

• Lucifer says:

A&E has only had a handful of scripted shows recently with the majority of them being cancelled. So in this instance, I think being done with their scripted attempts at programming is valid.

6. Andrew says:

I can’t blame A&E for axing The Returned. I really wanted to like it, but it literally went NOWHERE.

I have higher hopes for Damien, though!

7. Dean says:

And so A&E continues to loose dramas that aren’t named ‘Bates Motel’

• Lucifer says:

I think the main reason they are keeping that show alive is because it receives large amounts of critical acclaim and gets major award nominations, which is the sole reason AMC kept Mad Men on so long. I also think having Vera Farmiga co-headline the series doesn’t hurt, as she’s becoming a mainstream horror icon and it fits in perfectly with the show. But I do think A&E is wrong for several of its recent cancellations.

8. Maryann says:

The original French version of The Returned (Les Revenants) has been renewed for a second season.

9. becca says:

Why do two black producers on the same network have to be described as being in a rivalry? Can’t they both be rooting for each other?

• Lucifer says:

How do people like you function? I’m serious because that was a playful joke on the fact that Rhimes has four shows on ABC and Ridley might be getting his second. Aside from Rhimes, Ridley is the only producer to have more than one show on the network. They happen to be black, but that has nothing to do with the joke.