The X-Files Revival: 5 Spoilers From Chris Carter (Mulder-Scully Sex?!)

The X-Files Spoilers

The truth is gushing out now.

X-Files creator Chris Carter is unleashing the first spoilers about Fox’s upcoming six-episode revival, and they include intel on more returning characters, the state of Mulder and Scully’s relationship and much more.

Herewith are the five scoopiest takeaways from Carter’s Vancouver Sun Q&A.

1. There’s “a big chance” the Lone Gunmen will join returning X-vets Mulder, Scully, Skinner and The Smoking Man.

2. Per X-Files tradition, the six episodes will blend “ongoing Mulder and Scully conspiracy saga” with “standalone episodes,” says Carter, adding, “It will all be of a piece, meaning that it won’t feel disconnected.”

3. Although Mulder and Scully will still be a couple, “When we come back we will find that [their] relationship is not where we left it,” Carter teases.

4. That elusive Mulder and Scully love scene may be nigh. “It was part of the mystery of The X-Files,” says Carter when asked why the pair’s relationship was never explicitly consummated (despite having a son together). “That relationship was kind of mysterious. Did they get together? Didn’t they get together? If they’ve got a child together, when did they get together? These are questions that we will deal with and answer in good time.”

5. The cold open, a staple of The X-Files that started with the pilot, will be back. “We had to get a special dispensation to do a teaser — a little two- or three-minute segment in the beginning that sets up the show,” explains Carter. They had done away with that approach on Fox, so they allowed us to go back to, I would call it, old-style.”

1. Hm, but nothing concrete about the alien invasion. I really hope they don’t ignore it.

2. drhenning says:

I thought the Lone Gunmen were killed off on their show or will that show be ignored???

3. george says:

I KNEW the Lone Gunmen weren’t dead. The truth is out there!

4. kmw says:

Yes I would like to know how they are going to bring The Lone Gunmen back as well as CSM. Sounds promising.

5. wrstlgirl says:

I can’t even remember where it left off. Guess I’ll have to do some Wiki.

6. Erin says:

“Although Mulder and Scully will still be a couple, “When we come back we will find that [their] relationship is not where we left it,”

Does this mean they’re hitched??

7. Jennifer says:

Is this on Netflix? May be the incentive I need to finally bite that bullet. I can’t remember half of what happened on the show.

8. alistaircrane says:

What? No Annabeth Gish or Robert Patrick? ;-)

9. Nitemar says:

I haven’t stopped smiling since the news broke! and knew about the Lone Gunmen, now my x-files dreamteam is complete.

10. Bozo says:

The Lone Gunmen return! That show is right up there with Firefly as my all time favorite shows that only lasted one season. Can’t wait to find out if they faked their deaths or if they are just back as Mulder’s hallucination like in the X-Files series finale.

• dman6015 says:

I was hoping ABC would cancel Castle this year so Fillion would be available for a Firefly resurrection. Maybe next year.

11. Heather says:

I thought the cigarette smoking man died. Also didn’t Scully break up with Mulder because she was tired of him chasing aliens.

12. Seriously, CC is still giving us the bs of are they a couple? Not a great way to start with fans who have tried for years to get an X Files Revival.

13. Drew says:

Putting them together romantically was a horrible mistake that they should be trying to forget, not reenforce.
    Hey, before we get this series, could we get a petition going to get Fox to fix the episodes they gave to Netflix? None of them have on screen text. No date/locations, no translations… Not even the classic “The Truth is Out There” at the end of the theme song.

14. arial2 says:

Off the wall request: can we please have at least one Frank Black and Peter Watts (Lance Henriksen, Terry O’Quinn) scene? After all, Millenium was a spin-off from The X-Files.

• Big X-Files Fan says:

Yes. My other favorite show from that time.

• Oddie says:

As far as I know Terry O Quinn died in the first X Files movie

• dman6015 says:

Well, so did CSM and The Lone Gunmen. That doesn’t seem to be stopping Carter.

• mooshki says:

He played a different character in the movie than he did on Millenium.

• Terry O’Qunn was in more then just the movie, he played another character in the series too, not at all related to the character in the movie! So he could be in it as anyone! The X Files used allot of actors over and over again as different characters, which was one of the things I didn’t like about the show, along with some episodes contradicting other episodes as well as the mythology itself! I mean I was a big fan from the time it came out till its end, well maybe not as big a fan by say season 6 or 7 when things really got silly at times! To me the show is fine if you watch each episode as if it was all by itself, and ignore how much it contradicts their mythology, and if you watch it more for the some of the characters and to see what creature is going to pop up on it! But compared to allot of other science fiction shows of then and now its one of the most confusing, not the most, that would be Lost, especially the ending! I actually preferred Stargate SG 1 more now, though back then I would have said the X Files was my favorite, but that was mostly because I liked Gillian Anderson, but now that I am older and can see that I don’t have to like the whole show, just because I like an actress or actor in it, I diffidently prefer SG1!

15. Casey C says:

Thank you to Chris Carter for not killing off Mulder or Scully! Can’t wait to watch the new episodes!

16. 1927BugattiGirl says:

Sigh. The more I hear about this revival the more worried I get. In the first episode back, I want Mulder to come out of the shower, so that we know that the last two seasons and the second movie were just a dream.

• Jesse says:

Haha I agree. Have him step out, loosely wrap a towel for TV sake only, and kiss Scully. Oh and declare William his.

17. Aren’t the Lone Gunmen dead?

18. R.O.B. says:

Why is the sex aspect of this so important? Who cares if Mulder and Scully are having sex, had sex, will have sex? It would be refreshing if the X-Files could just focus on mystery and myth and leave the intimate aspects of their relationship to our imaginations. NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO ALWAYS BE ABOUT SEX. You want to see Mulder have sex, turn on Californication. Watch about half a season and you will suddenly find it refreshing to see him do something – anything – else.

19. Fringe did cold opens.

20. Ali says:

I would love to see John Doggett and Monica Reyes show up. I loved Robert Patrick in the Doggett role!

21. Dana says:

I hope we get to see Mulder and Scully sex and that they are married. So excited for the revival.

22. Filme says:

The X-Files have grown enormously and I would enjoy if they occur again.

23. Tine0322 says:

I think their romance sadly ended and their on good terms with one another.

• Anne says:

CC says in response 3 that they’ll still be a couple, just ‘in a different place’ then they were at the end of IWTB.

24. Anne says:

I’m glad they’ll still be a couple. I heard somewhere they’d be broken up but I’m glad it’s not true. Maybe they’ll be married or Scully will be pregnant again. If they do that it’d be great if they could keep their kid this time. Better than breaking them up and flushing their 20 year history down the drain.