Exclusive

Forever Post Mortem: Ioan Gruffudd on Abigail's Fate, Henry's Future, Jo's Fury

Forever Finale Spoilers Season 1

The following post contains spoilers from Tuesday’s Forever.

Well, Forever fans, now we know what became of the second Mrs. Henry Morgan. Somehow, it’s so much worse than expected, no?

Tuesday’s episode revealed that Abe’s mother had experienced a change of heart after leaving her son and husband in the 1980s, and that she’d planned for them to reunite as a family, but a chance encounter with Adam had ended with her death.

PHOTOS May Sweeps/Finale Preview: Get 100+ Spoilers and Exclusive Pics From Your Favorite Shows, Including Forever

Even worse, Henry learned that Abigail killed herself in a desperate effort to keep Adam from finding Dr. Morgan… which, of course, he did anyway: In effect, Abigail’s death served no purpose.

TVLine talked with star Ioan Gruffudd about Abigail’s sad fate and what it means for Henry’s future, particularly where Jo is concerned. Along the way, we got some scoop on the May 5 season — and possibly series? — finale. Read on for all the goodies (and to find out what The Simpsons‘ Mr. Burns has to do with Forever‘s season-ender).

TVLINE | The episode puts a very definite end on what became of Abigail. How long before you shot the episode did you know this was coming?
Ah, interesting. You know what? I didn’t ask, and I wasn’t necessarily told. I just read the script. In conversation with [series creator] Matt [Miller], he said that we would find a way to tie up the Abigail story so, should we get a second season, we can start a whole other romance — either from time gone by or even the present-day romance — to conflict with the idea that Henry should be with Jo.

Actually, it was quite a sad moment for me to discover this was happening, because I have absolutely loved this whole relationship with Abigail. I thought it was so beautiful that we transitioned from the ’40s and ’50s all the way to the ’80s when she disappeared. And that we were able to see a unique relationship on the screen, of a guy who’s in his late 30s/early 40s with somebody he truly loved. We’d seen the romantic element of it and the true love of it when she’s in her 60s. It was really beautiful.

RELATED May Sweeps Scorecard 2015: Weddings, Deaths, Breakups, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

TVLINE | Did you ever think she might still be alive?
I certainly thought that from the pilot, actually… I always thought there was a chance. We alluded to it in this episode but it never actually made it to air. When we approach the older lady at the house in Tarrytown, it’s clear on Henry’s face that this could possibly be Abigail. We dropped a couple of lines there that made it look like Henry really hoped and wished it was. But I’ve always thought there was a possibility that she was still alive. But the way that we’ve tied it up is kind of truthful in a way and terribly tragic and weaves into the Adam story quite brilliantly, as well. It’s haunting, the whole thing.

TVLINE | Do you see Henry being more hesitant to enter into another relationship, given how the increasing age difference between him and Abigail caused such problems?
I think this is the premise of his entire character. Every week almost there’s a moment where Abe says, “You’ve got to try and live in the here and now and forget about the past…” So yes, it’s always going to be a nightmare for Henry, I think. [Laughs] Being locked in time. Now that we’ve had this tragic ending to this story, maybe we’ll have a bit more empathy for Henry going into next season, if we get one. Even with the relationship with Jo, how would we play that out over 10 years? [Laughs] If we’re still around in 10 years.

TVLINE | On a similar note, do you think Henry would be more reluctant to enter into a new relationship, knowing that Adam is a threat?
That might be taking it a step too far. What’s interesting and fun is this question of falling in love. When it’s true love, you can’t help it. You can’t help being around that person at all times. You’re doing things without thinking about them. You’re putting yourself in their sphere without even thinking of consequences. The idea of falling in love is such a powerful emotion that I think it would be lovely to see Henry giving into that rather than being mathematical and thinking, “Well, Adam’s got this over me.” But you haven’t seen the last episode yet, have you?

TVLINE | I have not.
So I’ve got the benefit of having seen the last episode, which will shed light on my answer, really. I’m not going to worry about Adam. [Laughs]

RELATED TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | There’s a moment with Jo in the antiques shop at the end of the episode before this one, where it seems like she’s maybe starting to see Henry in a more-than-friends light. It also seems like Henry’s not quite there yet, regarding her. Is that an accurate read of where they are right now?
Yes, yes. What’s interesting is that she comes to that point, and possibly Henry does, too. But of course, this lie that he’s carrying with him comes to the surface again quite strongly in the finale. It was interesting to play the finale, because I didn’t recognize this guy. I always thought Henry was much smarter than he was in the finale. Because every time he’s caught in the middle of something, he makes excuses and leaves. He doesn’t finesse his way out of a corner [Laughs], which makes Jo think there’s something up with this guy… So we planted that seed, yes, at the end of the last episode. But in the finale, she’s like, “Who the hell is this guy?” [Laughs]

TVLINE | What can you tell me about John Noble’s character and the part he plays in the finale?
I hate to make a comparison with an animated character, but remember Mr. Montgomery Burns in The Simpsons? [Laughs] I don’t know why that came to mind when I was reading about him. He’s this older guy, smart guy, moneyed guy who loves art and history and artifacts. Very influential in the art world… Adam’s chasing this weapon that killed Adam originally, and [there’s this] idea that maybe the original weapon is the one that will put the end to this curse… So yes, as you can imagine, this specific dagger from the Roman era is found, and Adam wants it. John Noble’s character wants it. And John Noble’s character puts two and two together and knows that there’s something afoot. And he knows that Henry knows that there’s something afoot with this dagger, and he’s really interested in this idea: Wow, immortality. Does this really exist? It’s really cool. He’s amazing.

PHOTOS Cancellation Anxiety: 9 Shows You Should Probably Start Worrying About

TVLINE | You mentioned renewal prospects. How are you feeling about the chances of coming back? It’s one of those things you can only learn from experience. I was on a great show called Ringer. We were all flabbergasted we didn’t get picked up — even though, statistically, the writing was on the wall, yes. Because it’s a numbers game, right? We weren’t pulling in the numbers compared to the other shows on the network and whatever. Our show was expensive. I understood it in my head; in my heart, I really wanted it to go on.

If I got the call saying, “Look, they’re not going to [renew Forever]. They’ve got another pilot they shot this year, ABC is so happy, they love it, they want to put it in that spot to compete with Person of Interest and all the other networks,” then I’d understand it in my head. In my heart, I’d be crushed. This has just been a gift that has fallen into my lap, to play this part. I absolutely love this guy. I love the people I work with. I love the writing, I love the whole premise of it and I just wish, wish, wish more people would get the chance to see it. Yes, it’s a procedural, but it’s got that wonderful twist. And I think smart people who love shows like Breaking Bad and True Detective actually enjoy this as sort of a guilty pleasure-with-a-little-bit-of-thinking. I wish that more people would see it and it would give us enough numbers to tip it over the edge. It’s a long-winded way of saying I’m sitting here, trying to keep my mind occupied, not thinking about it.

1. Kayla says:

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW!!! Ioan and the cast are so amazing, and the writing is truly brilliant. I will also be crushed if it is not renewed.

2. Steven says:

I truly hope this show gets a second season. Netflix, Syfy, something, anything. There can’t be only one episode left. i need more.

3. Rose says:

I’d be bummed if this was not renewed as well. It’s one of the feel good series I actually look forward to at the start of each week.

4. Wendy says:

Fingers crossed for Forever season 2! I love the relationship between Henry and Abe.

I like the slow burn they have been setting up for Henry and Jo – it fits where the characters are with dealing with their dead spouses.

I hope John Noble’s character won’t be just a one off role.

5. A.B. says:

This whole article made me sad and not because of the Abigail story but because he seem so hesistant and almost anticipating that they may not get renewed. Just an overall sadness.

6. HanLin says:

For the record, I am still not over the early demise of Ringer. He is so right-it was a great show!

7. JeffDJ says:

Well, I really hope it gets renewed. I love the premise and the cast.

8. sarah says:

I truly hope this show is picked up. Ioan is a wonderful actor, and the writing is great. It flows in the same vein as Castle, where the two leads have natural, quirky chemistry on a police prodedural dramedy. The immortality is a unique bit that I cannot wait to see play out in the longrun if the show is picked up. I would be interested in seeing other immortals make their way to New York, as there cannot be just two in all the world… this phenomenon is, apparently, something that spans millenia, and though rare, I bet Henry and Adam are not the only two alive to tell their tales. I’m also rooting for Jo and Henry, as I have sonce the pilot.

Ioan was brilliant in Ringer as well. I was a big fan of that show, and I was shocked when it wasn’t picked up. I’m hoping Forever will continue on, and not fall off the radar.

9. Lia says:

Hoping the show gets a new season!

10. Maryann says:

If I could choose one show for renewal, this one would be it. I would love to see it last for years to come.

11. Lisa says:

I’m also hoping this show gets picked up for another season, and then many more. I was hesitant about trying it out because shows get pulled so easily. Once I saw that it wasn’t cancelled quickly, I went back and watched from the beginning. It is now one of my favorites that I watch each week. It would be a shame for it to not be renewed.

12. AnnetteR says:

I have come to love this show and I pray that it comes back next year. It has really come into its own in the last few episodes. We just have to see that relationship between Henry and Jo blossom!

13. Billie says:

I love this show!!! I really hope it gets more seasons.i like Henry and Jo, but I am not sure I want them to be a couple. When that happens, it usually means the end of a show. They focus more on the couple that what the show is suppose to be about. But it does work on “Bones”

14. er1986 says:

Amazing

15. B says:

Really hoping for renewal. Come on ABC!

16. pamela says:

i was hoping abigail would somehow be alive and perhaps younger by some means (adams doing?) i don’t feel henry and jo should go there. ah well.

17. N says:

I loved this episode! Reading Ian’s words bring tears to my eyes. I want #Forever renewed!

18. Debbie Y. says:

I really like this show. The premise must be popular because the previews of the new Blake Lively movie looks like the same basic theme.

19. Imzadi says:

I love Forever! I’m loving it even more now that Lucas’ character is becoming more prominent. He’s a hoot! And they are developing Jo’s partner more. But the key to this is the Henry/Abe relationship. Please, please renew this show.

• Nan says:

Call me crazy [YOU”RE CRAZY!}, but I’d love for them to do a crossover episode with Castle. Henry’s story would be right up Rick’s alley, And Henry could tell him in confidence or at least hint at it. Fingers crossed for a second season.

• Lisa says:

A Castle crossover would be sooooo cool.

• Fyrkat says:

There was a commercial made with Nathan and Ioan called the ‘Men at 10’. Rick and Henry were in a support group for the ABC TV show leads at 10pm. It was awesome as Henry did hint about his secret, but I can’t find the link now. I’m sad about that. It could be on youtube though. I can’t check on this computer though.

• Nan says:

Yep. Ew did a piece on it in Jan. Only problem would be that Ioan already did an ep. on Castle as the very rich guy that Beckett was protecting. But Nathan & Ioan together again would be sweet.

• Sue says:

True. Though, its quite easy. They could write it as such “You’re…. ” and Henry would be “No… maybe in another life” ;)

20. Cheryl Baum says:

If you want more people to see it then advertise it anywhere. It’s not even listed on Rotten Tomatoes as a new show this year. It’s not in any entertainment magazine. People can’t watch if they don’t know it exists! It’s a great show. Have clips shown. Play up the unique part with his son that is what makes it unique. If they like Castle older ones who likes Quincy they’d like this.

• Lisa says:

I loved both Quincy and Crossing Jordan. There hasn’t been a good show like it in a long time, and now that there is, they’re threatening to cancel it. :(

21. Rachel says:

My heart will break if they cancel this show. Please ABC, use your brains and renew it!

22. Jill says:

Love this show! Hope it’s renewed.

23. Alaine says:

FOREVER is an awesome show Well Worth a Second Season!!! Please, please ABC renew FOREVER!

24. drhenning says:

I too have really enjoyed this show and would like to see more but I understand if it doesn’t get a 2nd season.. It has been in a tough timeslot with popular shows against it… Thankful for On Demand even though I can’t FF commercials.

25. Luis says:

I’d like it very much if ABC gives this show a chance. It might not be the most creative or boundary-stretching show on TV, but the cast has found a comfortable rhythm, the leads have a nice chemistry and I get to see Judd Hirsch on TV every week.

26. Susan says:

Both my husband and I love this show so much!!!

27. Sharifah Hanizah says:

I want Forever to be forever….get it!

28. Cj Wilcox says:

I truly believe in this show. The cast ensemble clicks. It offers a unique story line that holds your interest. Ioan’s Henry is sheer genius. Afterall ABC TV is about entertainment!

29. Jerry Pierce says:

This is my favorite show also. They HAVE TO renew it.

30. Heidi says:

A crossover with Castle would be sweet. Please renew this show as it is one of the few well-written and acted shows on prime time TV.

31. Mary says:

It’s a fabulous show, entertainment that makes you think is very rare nowadays.
    Fingers crossed for a renewal.

32. JeanneW says:

This show is awesome……….the relationship between Henry and Abe is fantastic! I would love to see this show renewed!

33. Liz says:

I’ll watch pretty much anything with Ioan, I really do hope ABC picks it up for another year. Maybe it could split the season with Castle if they both get like 13 episodes and live on Monday nights?

34. Donna says:

I absolutely love everything about this show. It always keeps me interested and wanting more, more, more! The cast is great, and the relationship and scenes between Henry and Abe make it worth watching just for that alone. I hope ABC is smart and realizes what a great thing they’ve got here and keep it going. Here’s hoping for the best….

35. Ruth says:

I love this show and all the characters that on it. Please, please renew it!

36. hikers304 says:

I adore this show!!! I watch very little TV. Doctor Who, Sherlock, Better Call Saul, and Forever. Ioan Gruffudd has been a favorite actor of mine since I fell in love with Horatio Hornblower! It has to get renewed! There is so much absolute garbage on TV anymore…..some of that other ick needs to get canceled first….

37. Bob says:

I have enjoyed the show immensely. The plot is unige. The story is interesting and the cast is excellent. I hope it is renewd.

38. Tanya says:

Hoping for more seasons of Forever. My TV viewing is beginning incredibly limited. Too many reality shows and silly sitcoms. Most reasonably intelligent shows that require a little thought are cancelled.

39. Mary Keesling says:

Terrific interview!! Wow!! Many thanks!!!
    And I too will be crushed if it’s not renewed… 😔

40. LOVE this show it’s been a long time actually since PLEASE RENEW FOREVER FOR MORE SEASONS, THE WRITING IS EXCELLENT LOVE THE ACTORS INCLUDING IOAN GRUFFUDD, JUDD HIRSCH, ALANA DE LA GARZA. LOVE THE INTERACTION BETWEEN THE CHARACTERS HENRY, ABE , JO AND OTHER CHARACTER. TO THE ABC ENTERTAINMENT PEOPLE , RENEW FOREVER FOR MORE SEASONS, THE FANS DESERVE MORE SEASONS This is a excellent show that deserves a fighting chance, more seasons. #RenewForever

41. Michelle says:

I hope they keep the show it’s a great one with mystery and action. It’s my faveorite new fall show. Plus I love the actors and the writing.

42. afan says:

There is a petition. Go to care2.com. Search for abc forever in the right search bar. First link that pops up. As of today it has almost reached 15,000 signatures. PLEASE RENEW!

43. Wendy says:

i cried so much at the Abigail episode. i love this show coz its all about love and life.

44. Cindy Sutter says:

Yeah another network could pick it up that’s been done before. I would hate to see this end.

• Richard White says:

I bet that NBC still regrets letting go of JAG. It started weakly too, and was canceled after one season. CBS picked it up and ran nine more seasons, even spawning a hit franchise in NCIS.

45. Laine says:

This is my favorite show hands down. I love the murder cases, and the fact that with his immortality, he has those keen senses to find the next clue to find the killer. THERE. HAS. TO. BE. ANOTHER. SEASON. GAH.

46. everart says:

I also love this show, and think if it weren’t on tough Tuesday or was on CBS, it would have more viewers. It has an extraordinarily high rating on IMDB. The writing has gotten better and better each episode, and I love how they continue to unfold Henry’s and Abe’s histories. I’m okay with the way Abigail died to save her family, it seems to fit better with the character of their family unit. And she did keep them safe for 30 years longer than if Adam had gotten the information at the time.

47. frogstar42 says:

Season 2 premise. There can be only 1. Highlander battles!

48. Karem Morillo says:

I LOVE FOREVER!!!! Please renew it!!! I love the story and performances! I love Henry Morgan character! Oh lord don’t let them cancelled! I’m so tired of violence, zombies….

49. clemie eckert says:

Please bring it back. You can get rid of HTGAWM and Scandal!!

50. C. Manock says:

This is a wonderfully acted and written show which I enjoy very much! I certainly hope it is renewed!