For Revolution Fans, Closure Is Coming

Revolution Returns Digital Comic

If you were among those steadfastly lobbying to #RelocateRevolution, your wish has been granted.

TVLine has learned that NBC’s postapocalyptic drama, which was powered down almost a year ago, after two seasons, will return to finish its story in the form of a four-chapter digital comic book.

The series’ entire creative team — including executive producers Eric Kripke, J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Rockne S. O’Bannon and Jon Favreau — regrouped to create the digital comic with DC Comics. Revolution writers David Reed and Ryan Parrott penned the four chapters, after breaking the story with the rest of the team.

In a letter to fans, Kripke says that short of producing cost-prohibitive new episodes, “We can do the next best thing. Which is end the story. On our terms. Exactly the way we would have.”

Dear Revolutionaries, Patriots, and Soldiers of the Monroe Militia,

So first of all — thank you. Seriously. Sincerely. The loyalty you’ve shown Revolution these past months has been touching and overwhelming — it’s meant more to me than you’ll ever know. And in case you were wondering — yes, we’ve been listening. We’ve read the tweets. We’ve seen the incredible petition. We’ve followed #RelocateRevolution. Please know that you’ve been heard.

And solely because of your efforts, we wanted to pay you back — to give you something fantastic. And while, unfortunately, we simply can’t make more episodes of the show (alas, there are financial realities we can’t overcome), we can do the next best thing. Which is end the story. On our terms. Exactly the way we would have.

So J.J., Jon and I are pleased and proud to announce the Revolution endgame: a four-issue series coming soon from DC Comics. If you take a look at the attached photo, you’ll see that we brought back the entire writing staff to work on it. The band’s back together! (And if you study the photo closely, you’ll notice a certain young, plucky Matheson [Tracy Spiridakos] who also joined us).
Revolution Coming BackEveryone has generously agreed to work for little or no money. They’re doing it, because like you, they’re passionate about this story and want to see it end correctly.

So stay tuned. We’ve got lots of work to do. We’ll keep you posted—in the coming months, you can expect more details, sneak peeks, and early artwork. But Miles, Monroe, Rachel, Charlie, Aaron, Neville and the rest will return for the epic finale to the Revolution storyline. We hope you’re as excited as we are. And again — thank you. This is because of you. This is for you.

Much love,
Kripke

In the time since Revolution wrapped, among its main cast members, Billy Burke guested on Major Crimes and stars on CBS’ summer series ZooDavid Lyons has booked an NBC pilot, Elizabeth Mitchell recurred on Once Upon a Time and recently joined Crossing Lines, Tracy Spiridakos recurred on Bates Motel (and booked a pilot), and Giancarlo Esposito returned to Once Upon a Time, filmed the first Maze Runner sequel and did four episodes of Allegiance.

Illustrated by DC Comics’ artist Angel Hernandez, each of the chapters will have a specially designed cover, rolling out every two weeks starting Monday, May 4 (first at ComicBook.com, then a week later at Facebook.com/Revolution). A sneak peek at the illustrated Sebastian, Miles and Charlie can be seen here (click to zoom):

Revolution Coming Back

What say you, Revolution fans? Relocation efforts rewarded?

1. MeJ says:

Better than nothing! I hope they release it on Comixology eventually so I can pick it up and support the cause.

2. Katherine215 says:

Awesome. I didn’t realize #RelocateRevolution was still going on, but I’m so glad those fans were passionate and got this to happen. Looking forward to it!

3. Not quite what I hoped for when I saw the headline.

4. Dean says:

I wonder if they’ll do to this what they did with Buffy.

5. Nathy says:

Really? A comic book? They should learn from USA’s White Collar and at least renew the show for a final six-episode season.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

I’m very happy about the news and fans of the show.

• Mr. Tran K says:

BTW, I can picture Revolution as part Game of Thrones (the sword fighting) and part Walking Dead (the apocalyptic adventure).

7. greg says:

That’s great news, won’t some other network pick it up!!

• Carolyn says:

It is interesting that syfy did not pick it up. They used to pick up everything. I think they are the ones who picked up Stargate SG-1 when it was bumped.

• Darryl Mooney says:

no actually it was picked up by the space channel here in Canada…syfy sucks! just saying

• NO, Syfy picked up Stargate Sg1 after Showtime canceled it! I watched the whole thing on the SyFy channel when it aired! This was back when it was the SciFi channel, and they were doing better shows and movies in the mid 1990s! They didn’t suck back then, I watched SciFi everyday back then! And to be honest they are getting better now, with new shows like 12 Monkeys, Helix, and Z Nation, and of course Haven and Lost Girl! SyFy is making a comeback!

• Pi says:

I think because Syfy is owned by NBC if I am not mistaken

8. SUSO says:

Awesome news, and I’m so happy the fans will be getting the closure they deserve.

9. lqza says:

Waited in hope for it to come, but after the same old, same old episodes were just about the same. Everywhere they went, they met the same people, over and over. We all here, gave up.

10. jason james says:

Most upset at this and feel that weve been hoodwinked the moneys always there for random pointless reality tv so why not for the awesome revoultion????? A comic will never replace or give the closure needed.

11. Jake says:

Forget it, if it’s not televised I don’t care. Not reading a comic book….

12. This is great, can’t wait to see how the show ends.

13. Amanda says:

I thought it was a great story! I was really upset that a third season wasn’t happening. When I found out I didn’t want to finish the second season but I did. I would really like some closure, in a book, movie, or show. Any is fine by me.

14. Kathy says:

It’s not at all what I expected. :( So sad.

15. Drew says:

I was actually cool with it being very, very gone. The series was horrible.

• robbo says:

People like you bother me. Why bother posting or reading this? It’s like me getting onto a story about anything to do with Hockey just to say that I don’t like hockey (because I hate hockey in the first place). It would be pointless.

16. Richard Markley says:

Thank you! When I heard the series was canceled I felt really let down. My two favorite creators where working together and right when it was getting pretty interesting NBC gives it the axe. Thanx for getting back together ” creatively “& giving this story an ending. How ever late it may be.

17. Omar Rehman says:

Revolution is one my choice season……i liked it very much……but by cancelling the NBC this season….does not make any sence….so we all fans want the revolution back….So Please!….bring it Back….

18. Bill says:

What a disappointment (no offense to DC Comics)… I think that’s the near-unanimous verdict of #RelocateRevolution fans. That said, Mr. Kripke’s letter to the fans on behalf of the writers and the crew was First Class. Thank you. Because of that, I will follow the comic book series online. As one who has curiously followed the RelocateRevolution petitions this past year, Matt, I’d be curious to learn the story behind the story of these “financial realities we couldn’t overcome,” ie, what prevented a TV return. Still, the Revolution lives on!

• Carla Krae says:

Well, they’d need someone to give them 3-4 million per episode to film. TV is expensive!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Scripted TV is expensive.

Scripted TV dramas are extra-expensive.

Scripted TV sci-fi dramas are extra-extra-expensive.

Plus, as I took great pains to detail in that one paragraph, these quality actors are keeping plenty busy!

• Mark says:

Is there any hope of getting this idea floated with the writers and creators of Starcrossed another show finished on a cliffhanger

• shutuprob says:

B-b-but Stephen Collins is available!
        (ducks)
        Too soon?

• Bill says:

Point well taken, Matt. This was a super expensive show on many levels. There was a lot of talk on the boards this last year about NBC abruptly canceling the show last minute, then refusing perhaps to give up the rights so another network could pick it up withWarner Bros./Bad Robot support. There was a MAJOR push to get NetFlix to pick it up. But we’re not even sure if it got a fair shot. It’s def. been an education and an eye opener to watch the past 11 months. Thnx for your article.

• Amber says:

I am completely with you on this, and I am in shock that they even took it off Air. The TV stations put all these ridiculous and non hilarious reality shows and such that are so dumb on and make no sense and are a waste of time and money when they should have been using it to keep a dynamic Show with high ratings on! &with the ratings that they had and fans the show carried some other Networks should have picked it up! I loved the show and watched every episode. I am not big on comics but I will try to read it. But,would rather see tv.

• petvalet@hotmail.com says:

Figure it out. Cancel a successful series? That and “V”. And others. Watch the series again and analyze why it had to go.

19. pakegler says:

This is the same strategy used when Jericho was cancelled.

• ludealady says:

With you. Loved both Jericho and Revolution. Yet the networks removed them in favor of junk. CBS will always stick to crime shows and NBC will always remove anything creative. We are stuck with shows like Grimm and Criminal Minds.

20. Carla Krae says:

Woot! I know how hard Kripke has worked on this and I thank him.

21. I hope this doesn’t give the Dallas fans any ideas…..

22. Ally Oop says:

Revolution was my favourite show on tv for the first one and a half seasons. Unfortunately, the story got dragged down because of all those stupid nano things. I absolutely hated the direction that the writers went in. I wont be reading the comic. 80% of why the show was so good was because of the acting and directing. The writing was subpar.

• I wholeheartedly agree with you. Season 1 was spellbinding, Season 2 started off well, but it quickly degraded with the “nano’s” speaking to me stuff, and I soon quit watching.

• SierraEcho2000 says:

Try the first comic at least. The description of the 3rd season sounded like it was going back to a limit on nanos. Plus nano zombies would be cool.

23. ninamags says:

“Which is end the story. On our terms. Exactly the way we would have.”

God, I wish he would take these words to heart in regard to his first, best show. He needs to come back and finish what he started. I don’t care if he only had a 5-year plan. The show needs a better show runner than what it currently has.

24. Diz says:

I can’t even remember how it left off.

25. Sandi Land says:

Just NOT the same!!!!! Sorry but doubt I’ll be checking them out.

26. Jacalyn says:

After that total let down the way they just ended the show. Now to do the ending in a digital comic book, Really as far as I’m concerned just more disappointment.

• c green says:

You’re a disappointment

• lynn and Ken beasley says:

Revolution was our weekly treat to watch. We are 58 and 60 years old. We are not going to read comic books to see this stellar production just become silly comic book material

Evidently, NBC, has truly lost it’s peacock all it actually produces is dissatisfaction. Thank goodness for AMC, ION, and SUNDANCE.

27. Daisy says:

Sorry if I missed it but is there any way to keep up to date on when and where the comics will be available?

28. Melissa says:

A don’t like comics. I can recite the whole episodes by word that’s how many times I have watched it we need something other than a comic!

29. Eugene Bae says:

Dear TVLine,

My Name is Eugene Bae, and I’m the huge fan of Revolution. You have to tell Eric Kripke that he cannot make it into a digital comics, no. I want Eric Kripke to make a sequel TV show, instead. It’s called, “Revolution: The Aftermath”. I made new ideas and stories for this television sequel show. I do not like digital comics. Can you tell Eric Kripke for me?

30. Karen Thorp says:

And this is one reason why I stopped watching TV!!!!!!! basically there is nothing left out their that is reliable and ever thing else has already been done.

31. I wonder why Monroe looks nothing like David Lyons…while the other 2 resemble their actors

32. I will definitely check it out but if they still go down the Bass & Rachel getting together thing like one of the producer’s had said they would in an interview (after it was cancelled) I will quit right then and there.

33. Emmy says:

i am glad to get an ending in any form

34. Michael says:

Thank you for giving the story an actual ending. I’ll admit, I’d hoped the news was that Revolution was returning, but at least this will finish the story for us. Thank you for all your hard work!

35. That just is not good enough. I don’t read comics. I enjoyed the show. So basically you have done nothing that will give me closer. Was a pretty stupid move to cancel the show.

36. terry says:

I’m so glad there coming back with a actual ending the one show I decided to watch on regular tv was canceled the first season was epic the 2nd was cool too but was trying to put the story together they filmed in wimberley, tx where i lived it was something to remember and you bet your ass I was there to get mu sneek peak

37. Bruce says:

Not going to bother reading a friggin comic … the adventure is done as far as I’m concerned.

38. gypsypop says:

I think I can speak for a lot of fans of the show, that a comic book ending is a cop out. A 2 hr rap up movie would have been the icing on the cake. Didn’t have to be Hollywood. Made for TV would have worked. Extremely disappointed.

39. One of the best shows out. Would be nice for it to be back on tv instead as a comic

40. Teresa Davis says:

Thank you so much. I was so heartbroken and just devastated when the show ended so unexpectedly. Wished that Scyfi would pick it up and continue on but I will be exited to read the comics to at least bring closure to the storyline.

41. Brian says:

Cool but want the real show back with the original cast….they were great!

42. jan says:

Glad to seebrevolution continue hope they show up for San Diego comi-con

43. lisa babyboo says:

As grateful as I am that something I enjoyed will at least get an ending, I just cant believe its going to be in the format suggested!!! Can you wrap things up in one last season?? Sad really :-( x

44. Toby says:

Thank you all! I was so sad I bought the commemorative Revolution keychain. Looking forward to the coming comic.

45. Judester says:

Why not use a “funding” platform to get this up and running on TV??? Nothing is more powerful than the PEOPLE…….Revolution has a tribe and by the current action, it’s pretty strong. Where could a funding platform take us?? At least it’s worth a shot……

46. Angel Summer says:

Well this is not what I thought. I was hoping for TV…..not Comics……..Bummer. I wish they would bring the show back.
    I don’t plan on buying the comic.

47. Aidan Little says:

Cannot believe this, loved this show/cast and don’t know how many programs I’ve watched that started and finished without9 an ending, the event, person unknown along wit revolution!! Fair play to d cast and crew!!

48. Kyle H says:

Im really sad that its not the real deal… :( seriously if they didnt bounce it around so many time during the seasn i probley could have watched it more on a reg basis… I think it needs to come back the original way and the tv network ppl just need to let it happen because the other stuff they come up with is just dumb!!!

49. Buffie asia says:

I think that’s great news. Looking forward to seeing the finished product of revolution that was one of my favorite shows. Thank you for taking time to let the public know