Arrow Shocker: [Spoiler] Exits Series — But 'Definitely Not Forever'

Arrow

The following contains a major spoiler from this Wednesday’s episode of The CW’s Arrow.

Team Arrow has reduced its head count by one.

Yup, when former street rat Roy Harper left Starling City at the end of the April 15 episode — after Diggle, Felicity and a friend of Lyla’s helped fake his death via prison stabbing — Colton Haynes in turn said goodbye to the CW series he has called home since early Season 1.

Joining Arrow after a run on Teen Wolf, Haynes’ deal with the show was on somewhat of a “trial” basis, so the eventual parting of ways was to be expected, producers told BuzzFeed.com.

RELATED May Sweeps Scorecard 2015: Weddings, Deaths, Breakups, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

“It was super sad, but everybody kind of looked at each other and realized that he’s at the start of, what I’m sure will be, an incredibly, incredibly impressive career,” EP Greg Berlanti told BuzzFeed. “It’s great that he gets to go on and have that and we got to have him while we did.”

Haynes is set to appear in one more Season 3 episode; the Arrow season finale airs May 13.

“The hope is that he’ll continue to be part of the universe we are building,” EP Marc Guggenheim told our sister site Deadline. “We love working with him so much. We’ve talked to him about returning to one of the three shows, and if available, he has expressed interest. He is gone, but definitely not forever.”

1. Shelley says:

I’m sad. So going to miss Roy. I wished it could’ve been others to leave. Very moving moment.

2. herman1959 says:

No surprise there, I knew that he had become expendable when he started being left behind so much. Also, this episode seem MUCH longer than an hour.

• m3rcnate says:

Should be a bit surprised given your assumption is wrong. He wasn’t “expendable”, they wanted him (if they could keep him) but his contract was very clearly for 2 years and discussed was the fact that he would only be on for 2 years because he would want to go and do other things. So…it was his choice, meaning “leaving behind” or “expendable” has nothing to do with it.

• jazzi92 says:

yeah well, fired him, got rid of him, made him disappear… does all not sound very good right ? Especially not if you are a tv network or similar who doesn’t want to be seen as assh**** … That would be bad PR ;P

Also have you ever heard heard of a network announcing the real reason of letting someone go (i.e. favoritism, budget etc.) except this someone had bad mouthed them, the team or the show in the press ?! ;)

• so happy says:

I heard the same thing about Colton wanting to do other things. I read or heard he was going to be in a movie with The Rock (can’t remember his name)

3. Maybe such an important character in the mythos wasn’t the best to give to an actor on a two-year only deal? Ah, well. It was a good episode.

4. Jason says:

This is far too sad to handle. I need Colton back on Arrow. This sucks.

5. ggny says:

Roy Harper is such a great character but he sucks on Arrow.

6. JJM says:

I don’t give it too long now before he’s back on Teen Wolf. Right back to the bottom.

7. I hope Thea does not die. I want to see more of her. I am going to miss Roy but I look forward to possibly seeing him in the spinoffs.

8. Dj says:

I liked his character, but hated him with Thea felt that pairing did nothing for either character and it held both of them back.

9. Drew says:

It is probably for the best that they trim back a little. Still, I find it hard to connect with this entire storyline. It all feels so forced and hollow. It has just been pushed too far and it seems like more of a gimmick than true progression.
    At least Felicity only cried a couple of times this week.

• Drew says:

Also, can they please kill off Captain Lance? I used to like him, but they have completely ruined that character. If he doesn’t at least lose his badge, I will be upset. But at this point, he probably needs to go.

10. hoops2448 says:

I get that Ra’s has forced people to change but almost all the characters in the show are totally unrecognisable. Felicity has more often than not this season been a self righteous annoyance. Roy is gone just as soon as he was getting interesting, Thea is on the precipice of entering the Lazarus Pit and changing completely (although I am kinda excited about this one). Diggle does little all season besides a suicide squad mission here and there and Oliver just moans about everything. Ironically Laurel is the one person this season who has actually gotten better. I am still going to watch, this isn’t me calling that the show has jumped the shark or anything but I think the show needs some major tinkering when it comes back in October.

• Drew says:

I am hoping that it is just this season’s arc that is messed up and they’ll come up with something better next year. But with so many shows being produced at the same time, I don’t have full confidence that Arrow won’t be put on the back burner.
      I wish they showed more of Ted. We haven’t seen him since he was horribly wounded. Is he alive?

• Zorkel says:

Ted’s actor became a regular on another show, Powers, I think. That’s why he hasn’t come back and Nyssa took over training Laurel.

• Drew says:

They should have at least given us an update on his condition.

• ChrisGa says:

I wish Nyssa was on more; I think she’s actually the show’s best female character and Katrina Law does a fantastic job portraying her.

• Eugene says:

Yup! She’s very convinvincing of the character she plays, plus with all the secrets in the League of Assasins and her being on exile, there’s more entertainment here than with Laurel’s over-emotional acting and the awkward/ boring Oli-Felicity story-line. Arrow has become such a soap opera.

• Kate says:

I agree that everyone has been pretty bad this season. It’s ironic that it was all caused by killing off Sara. Her death set in motion all the depressing chain of events and character reactions. And why did that happen? Oh yeah. Laurel. I blame the need to make her BC as to why everyone is unrecognisable. They ruined this show for one character who still isn’t much anyway. What a shame.

• Dude says:

LOL very funny troll. Everything is always Laurel’s fault, even when she has nothing to do with it.

• Drew says:

Just disagreeing with someone doesn’t make them a troll.

• Kate says:

I’m not a troll for voicing my own opinion. I clearly stated the reasons why she has everything to do with it. They started this season with one goal – make Laurel BC at any cost and the whole show has been on a depressing turn ever since. Characters have acted ooc so many times this season, simply because they had to make Laurel fit. She wasn’t always the blame in every instance, I’ll give you that. But most of it, absolutely 100%. Sorry.

• Boston2AZ says:

Thank you. Just could NOT agree more.

• RichCD says:

I completely agree. When Sara made it through season 2, I actually had hope that they were abandoning the notion that Laurel MUST be Black Canary. Oh well…

• Fawkes says:

I totally agree. I will never be able to support the Laurel character as Black Canary, even if the writers do make her a better and more likable character, b/c all the other main women on the show had to suffer just so she’d get her chance on top. Sara had to die a horrible degrading death in order for Laurel to become Black Canary, Felicity was isolated from the Team so Laurel could join in more, and Thea was forced to be manipulated and victimized by a man, her own father, for Sara to die in the first place. Basically, horrible things had to happen to Sara, Felicity, and Thea in order for Laurel to be seen as strong and that’s just wrong. I hate it when women hurt and degrade other women just so they can be the star of something. Not to mention the whole mean-girls idea is insulting to women everywhere and that was basically what Laurel’s character stood for. And that was just season 3!!! In season 1 she was self-righteous, hypocritical, lamented at her sister’s death and how Ollie was to blame, but rarely ever thought about her relationship w/ Sara before she died (obviously Sara & Laurel weren’t close if it was so easy for Sara to betray Laurel like that), plus she was the girl that always whined about her boyfriend cheating on her yet she pitted both Oliver and Tommy against each other in a battle for her emotions. In season 2 she showed just how low her self-esteem, self-worth, and self-respect really was. Why would a root for a girl who is supposed to represent the strength of women when she doesn’t even respect herself. And throughout every season she has a habit of impulsive & reckless behavior, runs off half-cocked, mad, & repeatedly does stupid things that almost always get her hurt if not killed, not to mention jeopardizes anyone who has to go after her & rescue her, then the consequences are never her fault. I loved Sara b/c she was the woman who fought for women. I loved Thea b/c despite her mother’s lies and her father’s manipulation she survived. I loved Felicity b/c she shows us all that we don’t have to be kick-ass to be strong; Felicity does NOT conform to the stereotypical idea that for a woman to be strong she must fallow the stereotypical cliché and adopt male personalities, traits, and physical strength. Felicity is very feminine, she’s an ordinary girl thrust into an extraordinary situation and reacts the way most of us would react, and she owns up to her own femininity…she likes and respects herself and that is something that shows feminine strength.

• Chance says:

Umm,except, she’s right. The killing of Sara to make Laurel BC was the mistake that set all of this terrible story into motion. Sara was universally a more well liked character and she had better chemistry with Oliver than Laurel EVER has. Killing Sara was a terrible mistake, which is why they’re going to undo it with the Lazarus pit and put her on the new spin off, because they realized their mistake. Just a little too late to save this season of arrow.

• TheAppleFour says:

Sara Lance was never going to be a long term character, she doesn’t even fit into the Arrow style of show. The killing of Sara was the best thing they could every do. Sara was crap with Oliver.

If you think the show sucks, well that is the writing and not making the most of the story arc.

Stop blaming Laurel for everything wrong with Arrow, for her storyline has been the best this season.

Sara is dead and buried, ain’t no bringing her back. She’s decomposing 6 feet under Starling City forever.

• Kate says:

Thank you! Agree 100%. This season is a write-off in my opinion. Nothing can save it. But I’m hopeful they’ll bring back Sara, especially as Caity Lotz is on the spin-off show. She’s the only reason I’d watch it.

• Hamza says:

I agree. I think the writers wanted to make up to Katie Cassidy as Laurel was the least liked (most hated?) character on the show in season 1 and 2. So to make her the BC instead of the perfectly apt Sara, who actually may have had a great background storyline with the League of Assassins was removed.

• Kate says:

Yes. Thank you. I don’t know why they had to make it up to Cassidy though. They’re the ones who wrote her that way. Sara was the better choice for BC. She’ll always be BC to me anyway. She was perfect and I really wanted to see flashbacks to her training with the league. It’s such a waste.

• TheAppleFour says:

Sorry that’s got to be the most ridiculous statement I’ve heard, make it up to KC. LoL.

Sara was never going to be a good enough person to be Black Canary, she’s way too dark for Black Canary. Canary maybe, but never Black Canary – who has always fought for justice.

And is it too difficult to understand that the showrunners have had every intention of making Dinah Laurel Lance her comic book alter ego, and that Sara a guest character just played a part in bringing that story to fruition, going from plot A to B. Really it’s not that difficult of concept to understand.

• tonnie says:

People have to make everything about Laurel. Roy was never an important character or someone who had major story anyway.

And ppl act as if everyone hated Laurel. If so how come the most hate mail the writers received was from fans angry that Sara was made Canary over Laurel?

Haters obsession with this character is pathetic.

• Kate says:

It is a difficult concept to understand when Sara had an interesting backstory and no one had to die to make her BC. When you have to kill off a character to make another one work, you have a serious problem.

• Dj says:

Since next week is setting up
        the Pit and how it works. I wonder if this sets up Sara return too. The producers said something what happens on Arrow would answer the Caity questions.

11. Brandi says:

I had no idea he was leaving. I’m bummed. Was it his decision or the powers that be? If it was his I don’t blame him. He has been underutilized this whole season. they should have used him more. Does Arsenal have a bigger presence in the comics or Arrow universe?

• Drew says:

Roy is a big presence in the comics. He started out as Speedy, Oliver’s sidekick. He has been Arsenal and Red Arrow as well… Possibly more that I am forgetting. But he does his own thing outside of Oliver’s team. He hasn’t been just a sidekick Ina while (at least the last time I checked)

12. Justin Burnell says:

Reblogged this on THB Files and commented:
    Man I’m gonna miss that dude. Roy Harper was a good character of the whole show. That sucks.

13. donnamama says:

Terrible so sad. He will be missed. Ollie could have at least hugged him good bye. So now we get to see the Lazarus pit used on Thea is this where she may turn dark? She doesn’t even know Roy is alive.

14. Kate says:

It’s a shame. Roy grew on me so much this season. I hope he comes back.

15. Ashley says:

I liked Roy as a character, but I can’t stand Colton’s facial expressions. They’re distracting. So while I’m sad to see Roy leave, not sad to see Colton go. Nor was I when he left Teen Wolf.

• ChrisGa says:

The only thing distracting about Colton’s face is how damn pretty it is. I’ll most certainly miss looking at it on a weekly basis.

16. James D says:

that sucks. I enjoyed Haynes in the role a great deal I’m going to miss him, hope he comes back from time to time, and I wish him the best of luck in future projects i will be watching for sure. the episode itself was very good. I guess we know how the Lazarus Pit will be involved in the rest of the story. For the most part I loved Thea’s arc this season so hopefully it will end well. looking forward next episode.

17. Loony says:

Well this sucks. I kinda liked him. But it will be also nice to see him in Suicide Squad or on Flash as an recuring character!

18. kath says:

I’m really going to miss Roy. The MVP of this season.

19. Agent 86 says:

As sad as I am to see Roy Harper exit Starling City, I can only hope that it will be an improvement for the series as the scripts will have less main characters to service.

And apart from a few scenes where Roy was dealing with his guilt about murdering the police officer last season, the character has had very little to do this season other than constantly be sent on off-screen missions.

Just the other week, Atom knocked Roy out cold and Oliver just left him behind without a second thought!

I definitely want to see Roy Harper return. I’m not sure he’s the best fit for The Flash, but the untitled superhero spin-off could surely use some Roy Harper.

20. theschnauzers says:

It sounds to me as if Colton is just getting an extended vacation, and perhaps get a movie or TV guest spots in the can, and that IMHO, he’s probably headed to the spin-off next mid-season. It also gives GB and MG a chance to use either Flash or Arrow to bring Roy back into the DC Universe in time to start the new series.

21. Addie says:

I’m not too upset that Roy left, Arrow is far too overcrowded. They need to scale down Laurel’s appearances as well.

22. James says:

This makes the actor seem like a brat. He left Teen Wolf when the writers CLEARLY had more to do with his character, and didn’t even do another episode to get written out completely, and he was lucky to get a role as a MAJOR character in an established characters story. Now he just LEAVES again, and leaves Team Arrow in the lurch without their Red Arrow. They should recast the role.

23. ? says:

I’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think Colton Haynes couldn’t act his way out of a wet paper bag, and he won’t be missed. It’s true the writers never really gave Roy much material to work with, but he never made a case as an actor for them to do so, either.

24. Briggs says:

My theory is that he’s the floater char and that he’s going to be the one to go between the Berlanti superhero shows on the CW. Which would be a nice nod to the many teams he’s been on and the hats he’s worn in the DCU. But it was a great sendoff, regardless.

25. JDH says:

I’m confused…. This comes across as purely a producer made decision… Are they not aware who Roy Harper is???

Thea Queen is mostly a tv exclusive character.

John Diggle was made for their show.

Felicity might as well have been made for the show considering how different she is from the original character baring her name,

And Quentin Lance is basically a dead man walking since his character in the comics has been dead for most of the time Black Canary has been active, if not before hand.

Roy Harper is the one character they shouldn’t be getting rid of…

• shagamu says:

On one hand, I’m glad they didn’t kill Roy off, but I still think it’s a waste to write him out so soon. There’s so much interesting material from the comics that the show never got to use, like his relationship with Cheshire, his surprise fatherhood and his stint as a Checkmate agent. In fact, since A.R.G.U.S. seems to be Checkmate’s equivalent in the show, it would be cool if Amanda Waller recruited him. But what I was really hoping for was that he’d show up on the upcoming Titans show as a mentor figure for the team.

• Sam says:

But this is a TV show based on comics. It doesn’t have to follow the comics exactly. And Colton Haynes wanted to leave apparently.

• JDH says:

But with so few of Green Arrow’s ACTUAL supporting cast from the comics involved? Roy Harper has existed for over 60 years, he has had some of the most troubling & traumatic storylines in comics, but they looked at his character as a “trial” thing. I’m not seeing any quote from Colton Haynes that says he wanted to leave…

26. m3rcnate says:

TBH since watching Daredevil my opinion of this show continues to drop. I just cant help but imagine what would this show be like if it was on Netflix and they had cast top tier talent instead of typical CW talent (young, gorgeous, par and sub-par acting chops). Think about all the stuff “Arrow” has to do to appeal to CW viewers….the melodrama, the will they wont they, the love triangles, etc. Notice in Daredevil none of that was in it? It was real, it was gritty, it was ADULT, not like a highschool version of a superheroes story. At least The Flash has humor and a lighter tone and better acting going for it, im still excited about that show (it naturally fits on a network channel compared to the Batman rip-off story of the Green Arrow).

• Anne says:

You said it. I didn’t even watch this episode because I’m re watching daredevil. And arrow was my favorite show. I clicked this link because I had a glimmer of hope that they may have killed off laurel. But no.

27. Josh says:

With his talent Colton can be in a cinemax late night movie in the world!

28. Dominique says:

sending him away is ridiculous. roy is an essential part of this team and i feel like by getting ray, they decided to cut roy. and roy is far more important.
    and i feel like after the mediocre episodes this season, getting rid of roy is a terrible idea.

29. Ah c’mon! he’ll be back in the arrow/flash spinoff

30. Floyd Smith says:

Could Arsenal become a member of TNT’s Titans??!!

31. oreyes says:

I will miss roy, I am really sad because I did not expect it

32. Brock says:

He needs to be in the spin-off. Arsenal (Red Arrow) and Hawkgirl dated as members of the JLA…. He could be there star power for the show!

33. The Kaibosh says:

Colton Haynes played the character all wrong anyway. Roy Harper is supposed to be a smart ass.

• Briggs says:

If you were looking for canon, then watching Arrow was your first mistake. :) I haven’t expected any kind of canon since we met Thea.

• The Kaibosh says:

No kidding but I’ve never commented on Roy’s portrayal. At the end of the day I don’t consider it a loss of any kind.

• Briggs says:

I liked the end scene, though. He *did* seem like he was saying goodbye to his family. I felt that was really well done.

34. Kimo says:

Very, very, very sorry we lost Roy. Now should we worry about Diggle? I agree that most of the other characters have suffered as a result of pushing Laurel into becoming BC. She has improved (as Laurel, not really as BC) over the season, but at what cost to the rest of the characters as well as to the show itself?

• tonnie says:

No your blind hatered makes you think that. KC is the lead actress she will always have her own story and arc. Her arc doesn’t effect the rest. Her being BC doesn’t effect the other characters. Diggle and Roy were not getting anything storyline wise last season either.

Bye with that crap.

• DoctorWhoFanatic says:

You don’t have to comment on every single person’s opinion about Laurel. We get it. You love her. The more you do it, the more it looks like trolling.

35. D. says:

I’m sad about Roy but i would be PISSED if they killed Thea. I want her to grow even more and become a vital part of the Arrow gang. Thank God she will live after last night’s episode…

36. brenna says:

I’ve enjoyed Roy’s and Oliver’s relationship and felt there was so much potential for more humor there. However, I’m just glad they didn’t kill him and that he can possibly come back. I know that he is in a movie this summer, I believe, with Dwayne Johnson, and I wish him all the best.

37. Joey Padron says:

I’m gonna miss Roy on the show. glad he’ll be in season finale.

38. S. says:

I understand, though I don’t want to. Oliver’s absence should have been the time for Roy to step up, instead they focused on BC instead and shoved him into the background. I will miss him dearly and hope he comes back to the show soon. Please?

39. Z. says:

wow they get rid of Roy and keep Diggle? I mean I like the Diggle character but he’s pretty useless on the show

40. Seahawks 12th Man says:

I found this episode alright, wasnt the best but just alright. It is sad that Roy did leave but we should look at it as a good thing, that opens up doors for new “Good” Characters to join the team……i might be totally dumb, but i started watching Young Justice the cartoon (its pretty good so far) and i noticed that Ra’s Al Ghul has changed the “League of Assasins” name to “League of Shadows”. after i looked up League of shadows and read on it made me think, because as we can see the next promo that Oliver Accepts Ra’s Al Ghuls place he has a black outfit, but i dont think he take that place for long. And i know i am jumping the Gun here but if you guys actually read what i am writing, look up “Artemis” apparently she is Green Arrows Protege and pretty cool too, she can one day end up on this show.

41. Fannie says:

I think Roy was a good character but he was underutilized. I mean even if he was tehre he was not there, he did his own things. The character has had very little to do this season other than constantly be sent on off-screen missions and I heard his contract was up this season so maybe it was his decision to leave and to do other things but it was good he wa not killed off and he could return as a guest star for next season if he is called for it. Take it as he will have a very loong leave of absence

42. mike says:

Well that sucks. Should have gotten rid of Laurel. But, he was grossly underutilized anyway

43. Gerald says:

Sad to see him go. Glad the door is open for his return. The thing that bothered me the most was not letting Laurel in on it in the end. I know she is the DA, but her and Roy bonded a lot fighting crime together while Oliver was gone. She should have been there to say good bye.

44. sarah j says:

I will miss Roy.

45. Pia says:

I’m not surprised. They never gave him much to do.

46. KC says:

WTF! Bye arrow.

47. Carolyn says:

I agree with many of the commenters regarding Laurel Lance… She should take a hike. She is more of a hindrance than a help and should stick to staying in the law office. Better yet….

48. Hell, at least they didn’t kill him off like one of those other superhero shows that’s currently the talk of the town. Definitely still reeling over that loss given the character was so central to the main character.

• The Kaibosh says:

See, that’s where many disagree. Some superhero shows: dare I say REAL superhero shows, those that are faithful to source material like certain shows that are currently the talk of the town know how to tell a compelling story. Stories that are interesting. That draw you in. That are planned and well laid out unlike other shows that pander to specific fan demographics and can too often come across as trite.

49. B says:

I’ll miss Roy! He was great on Arrow! I hope he comes back to help Thea after she’s resurrected in the Lazarus Pit!!

50. Ella says:

I’m so sick of the Katie Cassidy bashing – she’s easily a better actress than Stephen, Colton and Willa. Combined. Can the the already, she’s awesome. I will miss Colton though, can he go back to Teen Wolf and be with Lydia now?