Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Revenge, Once, Grimm, Gotham, The Blacklist, NCIS, S.H.I.E.L.D., B99 and More

Once Upon a Time Finale Spoilers

Will a Once Upon a Time “favorite” put in another appearance? Who steps up when Blacklist‘s Red goes down? Are things looking “grave” for Revenge? Are you ready for the Grimm [spoiler]? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Are Once Upon a Time‘s Emma and Killian/Hook listed anywhere on TVLine’s May Sweeps Scorecard? –Bridget
Bound as I am by the strict rules of May Sweeps Scorecard Intel Gathering, I can only tell you this: Once has an entry in four, possibly five, of the categories.

We’ve not had many spoilers for Once Upon a Time‘s Rumbelle recently. Is there anything that Adam and Eddy are willing to spill? Will we see them in the Dark Castle again? Will we see the chipped cup again? –Betsy
As I do, I hand-delivered your question to the Once creators, and Adam Horowitz confirmed that while there will be no revisiting of the Dark Castle during this last stretch of episodes, “The chipped cup does come back.”

Do you have any scoop on the final episodes of The Blacklist this season? –shellerm
When the series returns April 23, you won’t have to wait long to find out Red’s post-gunshot fate — and his survival will be more touch-and-go than you’d expect. “We pick up immediately, in the moments of the shooting. Dembe was being shot at, and Red’s bleeding on the ground, clearly wounded in a horrible way,” creator Jon Bokenkamp tells us. “[Red’s condition] creates a void, and Liz is going to have to step up and fill the space that is occupied by Red and work through this situation.”

I was wondering if I could get any insight on Revenge as we approach the season (or possibly series) finale. (The season finale has been named “Two Graves”!) –Sabrina
It certainly sounds ominous, doesn’t it? “We’ve only ever done one-word episode titles since the show began,” showrunner Sunil Nayar reminds, “and the show began with this quote Mike [Kelley] had chosen from Confucius: ‘Before embarking on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.’ We wanted … to tell people that there is an element to this journey that will be over [in the finale]. You just have no idea for whom those graves are dug, or who will end up in them.”

Is there a possibility of Cobie Smulders reprising her role as Maria Hill on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this season? –T
I don’t know about Cobie appearing in the flesh, but you will see “Maria Hill” in this Tuesday’s episode, which as you know finally reveals the dark origin of “The Cavalry” aka May’s infamous nickname. (Suffice to say, the backstory kicks a lot of ass, literally and emotionally. Kleenex will be needed.) Elsewhere in the episode, Skye — with help from Jiaying — gets a better handle on what exactly her gift is (or isn’t).

Any scoop on the four remaining episodes in this season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine? –Lauren
In the first episode back, airing April 26, Jake winds up in the hospital. Now, why do I get the feeling he won’t be an ideal patient?

What’s the plan forGotham-ep120_scn50_51_34475_hires1Gotham‘s Barbara? Will she and Jim come face-to-face again before the end of the season? Or perhaps she confronts Leslie? –Nicole
Barbara actually figures into the Ogre storyline that kicks off Monday, and since Gordon will be on the hunt for the killer (played by Milo Ventimiglia), it’s safe to say the estranged lovers will be reunited, though perhaps under less-than-ideal circumstances. As for Barbara/Leslie, “Yes, they are going to meet in Episode 22 — and it’s a corker!” show boss Bruno Heller effuses. “Those two have several agendas they need to work their way through.”

I’m so worried about the upcoming death of a main character in the Grimm season finale! What can you tell us about the events leading up to the big moment? – Sam
Right before the offing, there’ll be “a lot of vengeance coming to a head,” series co-creator James Kouf tells TVLine. Co-creator David Greenwalt adds that the scene will be filled with “revenge and wild surprise.”

In the May 27 episode of Grimm, Viktor was rushed away in a way that was obvious it wasn’t Alexis Denisof in the scene. Will he appear again anytime soon or is he now too busy with Finding Carter? – Jordan
You answered your own Q, Jordan – Denisof’s Finding Carter schedule is keeping him plenty busy, so Viktor won’t be seen again anytime soon. Ergo the recent introduction of Nico Evers-Swinddell as Kenneth, an even more ruthless member of the royal family.

What happened to WGN America’s Ten Commandments series? It’s been a year since we had any news about it. –James
I checked on the project for you and was assured it’s still in the pipeline, in pre-production. (This is where I evoke the little-known 11th commandment, “Thou shalt not get impatient!”)

In the last four episodes of NCIS, will there be some recurring characters or guest stars? –Ann
I can tell you that in the season’s antepenultimate episode (airing April 28), Matt Jones reprises his role as NCIS Special Agent Ned Dorneget (and for multiple episodes) and Jamie Bamber returns as Bishop’s husband. (If you also watch NCIS: New Orleans, know that Steven Weber will be back as Councilman Hamilton in the final two episodes, while Stacy Keach returns as Pride’s pop in the May 12 season finale.)

Do you know what the name of the song was at the end of this week’s NCIS: New Orleans? –prusso
That was “Keep Going,” by Rachael Yamagata.

Would love someA Place at the TableCriminal Minds scoop. I’ll take anything you’re willing to throw my way. –Michelle
I know, it feels like Ed Asner is everywhere these days, but his role on Criminal Minds this Wednesday is a far cry from his recent Good Wife visit. “He plays Hotch’s father-in-law, Roy, who’s been diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s, and he doesn’t like Hotch at all. In fact, I think he’s the only person in the history of Criminal Minds who’s told Hotch to shut up,” says showrunner Erica Messer. “Bruce Zimmerman wrote it and Laura Belsey directed, and it’s so real in that way of ‘family drama to turned up to 11,’ because Roy blames Hotch for Haley being dead – ‘I trusted you to keep her safe and she died under your care.’ It’s just… holy cow. But then on top of that there’s this emotional vulnerability of a strong man who’s going to have to depend on others to survive, and the last thing he wants to do is ask Hotch for any help.”

Does a show like Dancing With the Stars (that goes a minute over every week) have any effect on the ratings of the show that follows (here, Castle)? Do they adjust for that? Also, are people watching less TV in general, or are they just watching less traditional commercial broadcast television? –Jules
When a well-watched reality show such as DWTS, The Voice or Idol (in its heyday) “bleeds” over, yes, it can inflate Nielsen’s fast nationals for, say, Castle – but once that overrun is subtracted out, it’s reflected in the afternoon finals. As for TV consumption trends, yes, last year saw a 12.7 percent decline in traditional TV watching, fueled in part by the popularity of the Netflix and the Hulu and the Amazon.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com!  (With reporting by Vlada Gelman, Kim Roots, Andy Swift and Rebecca Iannucci)

1. Ian says:

The only 2 shows of these I watch is The Blacklist and Once!

Juicy Blacklist scoop though. I think it’s an awesome storyline for Liz to have to assume Red’s power, and it only further hints at this idea of them being father and daughter, since it’s like if she were the heir to his empire and has to take the rule now with Red so gravely injured.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

I was in shock about that Blacklist ending when Red got shot. Hope he survived when the series returns on April 23rd.

3. Lucie-Marie says:

What’s with the Stalker … Will it ever come back, and when? Thank you very much :)

4. Rebecca says:

I hope CS is a breakup or Hook dies/leaves town. Colin deserves better than stuck playing some dumb puppy character instead of the badass pirate villain he was originally ENJOYING playing.

• Lns says:

Colin is awesome as Hook and Killian and how he is and the whole Emma/Hook relationship. It’s how it’s always suppose to be. Thank you!

• ninergrl6 says:

I hope the opposite of everything you wrote.

• Sarah says:

In all honesty, if not for Hook, I’d have no reason to watch Once Upon A Time. I hope he stays yes, but also for some good spoilers. Colin makes that role. I’m sure he appreciates it. It’d be foolish, not to.

• LenJ says:

Colin loves it – both sides of Hook and the way he carries himself. He always has known his character was meant to fall for Emma, and fit her character and elements that was missing in her esp in love and romance…. thats how he is written for her and as she is for him.

5. I haven’t paid much attention to Barbara in Gotham, but, seeing her name now, I couldn’t help but notice that but for one extra letter her last name would be Kane, as in Kathy and Betty Kane, aka Bat-woman and Bat-Girl. What I did notice is that her relationship with Montoya echoes the modern Kathy’s relationship with Montoya in the comics, which, for obvious reasons, makes me believe that Barbara might become a proto-Batwoman crime fighter on the show. I do admit, it’s somewhat far-fetched and premature. The actress doesn’t seem like she’s on the show to kick ass and take names.

• Well, two thing. This story misspelled her name as Keane when it’s spelled Kean, heh. Second, that still makes the last names almost the same but for one letter. It’s still possible that she might change her name given her frosty relationship with her parents, who knows. Kathy Kane in the comics IS rich, just like Barbara Kean is on the show.

6. Glad to see *some* Rumbelle scoop. No telling if it’s going to be something positive for them, but thanks for asking. :) It’s been rough going for Rumbelle fans this year.

• It's Delovely says:

Yes, thanks, Matt, for always trying to get us some Rumbelle news. This has definitely been a sucky season for Rumbelle fans, but I hope that Chip’s return signals a light at the end of the tunnel.

7. humphrey8 says:

You may have already answered this question in the past but I don’t remember seeing it. I cut the cable and now watch TV on my Roku using Hulu Plus. Does my viewing get counted in the ratings?

• Doug Henning says:

Well… Unless you are a Nielsen household, it doesn’t matter… Those who have meters do get their other devices hooked up to TV’s monitored. From what I understand, they are starting to measure usage on those devices and what is being watched. Now services like Hulu and Amazon know how many times programs are watched but since there are no commercials in the case of NetFlix and Amazon, it doesn’t matter.. Hulu does have short breaks that are especially obnoxious since they repeat the same stuff over and over..

8. Rachel says:

You answered questions about my top four favorite shows (OUAT, SHIELD, NCIS, and Criminal Minds), so you are now my favorite.

Any chance we’ll get an interview with Ming-Na Wen before Tuesday’s ep?

9. Bella Castle says:

When you said the chipped cup returns are saying Castle will be bask with Season 8?

10. Babybop says:

The wait for Brooklyn 99 is too long! I miss it.

11. Britt says:

I’m so scared Juliette won’t be the one to die on Grimm.

12. James D says:

If Renard, Monroe, or Wu are the ones that get got on Grimm I’m going to be very pissed. To be honest I’ll be pissed if it’s anyone other than Juliet or Adelind.

• dman6015 says:

They can’t kill off Adalind. No showrunner would be crazy enough to kill a pregnant character. We know Trubel is coming back. Is that major enough? Who knows? My guess would be with the strain between Nick and Juliehexenbiestte, I’m guessing it’s her. Why? Not a fan favorite, so her loss won’t get everyone in an uproar.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I rather see Adalind get the axe Juliette is WAAAY to powerful for her, I don’t want to see any of the regulars go after all it’s the 4th season so I guess someone has to go….damn now i’m really nervous to see who it is!!!!

• Alichat says:

I agree with Jax&Juice’s Girl…..I’d rather see Adalind die than Juliette. Although to be totally honest, my patience with Juliette ran out last ep with her crappy attitude toward Nick. And then the promo where she possibly takes a roll with Renard…..I’m rather sick of her now. But I’ve wanted Adalind dead for a few seasons now.

And showrunners have no problem killing off a pregnant character, as long as it keeps the story moving and is well done within the narrative.

13. OMG Two Graves!!!
    Revenge finales are like Breaking Bad’s to me.

14. Jackie says:

I think in OUAT the Author is Chip (aka the chipped cup) and that’s why he’s rewriting some of the book.

15. Pia says:

Commandment #5 covers impatience under “Thou Shalt Not Kill.” Ominous!

16. Crysania says:

Thank you so much for the Rumbelle spoiler! We’ve had so little this season. It’s exciting to see another Skin Deep parallel is coming up.

17. Lns says:

I think Emma & Hook will be saying I love you for the first time, in a heartbreaking situation imo.
    I adored when Hook told Emma she is his happy ending <3

18. skrable2 says:

Aww, Matt, you know An”s NCIS question was a veiled attempt to see if you’d spill the beans on the potential for a Ziva visit.

19. Sandy Camargo says:

I really hate the idea that killing off a major character is in any way a ratings boost. Seriously, really hate it. And, if the character who is killed on Grimm is Sean Renard, I’m outa there.

• Kat says:

100% agreed. I’ve said that for a while now and whenever he was in life threatening danger I said it again… if they kill Sean, I’m gonna leave with him…

• John NYC says:

Maybe if they don’t harm The Coat?

Frankly though the core group (and that includes Adalind and Juliette for me) doesn’t have an expendable member so whoever it is will be a severe loss, IMHO.

20. Sherri says:

It will be good to see Matt Jones back on NCIS for a few episodes. The Dorneget character usually brings some levity to the show.

21. Amy says:

Thank you for the Rumple/Belle scoop! Really glad we’ll see Chip again. :)

22. Angela says:

Looks like an intense, poignant storyline coming up on “Criminal Minds” next week. Looking forward to it.

23. We are getting to the last episodes of NCIS this season so shouldn’t we be hearing more about the finale?? I know it’s supposed to be a big one but this season has been such a big disappoint to this fan. They kept Bishop but she contributed nothing and they kept Tony in that relationship with Zoe while giving him nothing better to do. I don’t have high hopes for the finale for next season. Many others agree and say that the stories are now flat and the characters have no chemistry with each other. If this is what we have to go on for Season 13 then why watch??

• Donna2712 says:

See this is one fan who DOESN’T agree with you. This season has been consistently good following the mess that was season 11 with interesting stories and guest stars. I have grown to love Bishop and I like Tony and Zoe together as a couple. I know there are die hard Ziva fans who disagree and that is their right but I have enjoyed this season, and I do believe Ziva will prob be back for a guest appearance and looks forward to seeing her back and how she will interact with Bishop and Zoe.

• Erin says:

I too have been quite disappointed with NCIS this season but my favorite character is Tony. Tony never does anything of significance anymore and has been essentially replaced as Gibbs second in command by McGee. This accounts for some of the dullness and lack of intensity in the relationships. Tony has been sidelined for the most part while Gibbs, McGee, and even Bishop get far more exciting writing and stories. I really believe that the writers have been prohibited from writing Tony into any exciting situation or as a significant agent. As far as the finale, my guess is that Dornegett and/or Jake will be killed off. One of the ruts this show is in is to kill off familiar recurring characters in their highly promoted arcs. That way they can write one of their other favorite stories – super Gibbs out for revenge in the premier. No doubt Gibbs and McGee will be the feature agents in the final episodes while Tony does nothing of significance again.

• jinx2014 says:

I am sorry, but I just cannot warm up to Bishop. There is no chemistry with Tony or McGee. She is married and kind of blah, and in my opinion, adds nothing to the show.

• Sherri says:

I, too, have thoroughly enjoyed this season & I agree with you about Bishop, Tony & Zoe. I liked Ziva fine but had grown weary of the soap opera she and Tony had become. It’s nice to see new people and different story lines.

• Mandy Reynolds says:

Add me to the list as well. I’ve loved the entire season–everyone has had different stories and I like Bishop and her husband. I loved last week’s episode with Robert Wagner and also, I enjoyed the episode two weeks ago when Bishop and Tony played a married couple in therapy. It feels like NCIS again without all the soap opera drama. I’ve not missed one episode since it started, and I usually lose interest in shows after about five years. I honestly don’t get the constant complaining some people do–guess some people just can’t be pleased…….SMH

24. grimmfreak says:

On grimm, Victor was less evil prince and more creepy uncle… So glad he’s not coming back.

25. Colleen says:

Looking forward to next week’s Criminal Minds. We’ve been waiting a long time for Thomas Gibson to get a good script and quality actor to play against. I’m sure Ed Asner will give him hell and it will be great to watch. I’m also sure Thomas will hold his own. Really excited about this one.

26. sindyr says:

If Juliet dies on Grimm, I’m done. Waiting until the end of the season until I watch any more of it.

27. Dawn says:

What the hec do you mean VOID, regarding RED?? It is going to be renewed I thought! RED CANNOT DIE!!?!! I Wouldn’t watch ANYMORE, if so.I just hope mean he will be bed ridden n injured for awhile! I only look forward to the parts that RED are in. Lately a lil bit of Tom . But if REDDINGTONS gone, so am I. I will not watch anymore!!!!!watch

28. Tommy Bowers says:

one of the main characters on grimm is going to die!? hopefully adalind or juliette.

29. LenJ says:

Emma and Killian saying I Love You to each other has to happen soon.

30. Lianne says:

I’m betting the death on Grimm is Nick’s mom.

31. On grimm Did something from beyound attached it self to Renard.las ttime we saw Renard he collapse in agnony on his bedroom floor and the next he fixated on a wllet assaulted the man and then does not remember how he got it.

32. harvey morrill says:

is ziva coming back to the fadeing ncis show?