April Fools', Happy Endings Fans! 'New Day' Tweet Confirmed to Be a Joke

Talk about anticlimactic.

As many Happy Endings fans had speculated, the mysterious countdown clock tweeted by the show’s writers in February was ultimately nothing more than an April Fool’s Day prank — and a pretty lame one at that.

On Feb. 7, the Twitter handle @HappyWrites published the link to a website, which merely stated the words, “It’s almost a new day,” alongside a clock ticking down the seconds until April 1.

Though the cryptic tweet sparked a flurry of rumors about a Happy Endings reunion, movie or something else equally as awesome, fans’ hopes were dashed when @HappyWrites published this apologetic tweet on Wednesday:

Former Happy Endings star Casey Wilson recently said on the podcast Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend that she was skeptical about all the hype.

“I think it might be our writers’ assistant joking around, and, unfortunately I don’t think it’s a welcome joke for everyone,” Wilson said. “I don’t love that [someone] did that, to be honest. To my knowledge there’s nothing moving forward, I apologize if it got anyone excited.”

RELATED 2015 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

According to a report from EW.com, the culprit was indeed an assistant who published the tweet as a gag without Happy Endings creator David Caspe’s knowledge. But there is a silver lining: Caspe said the joke received so much attention that it got a conversation going about an actual reunion project.

Did the Happy Endings “joke” fool you? Or did you suspect it was a prank all along? Tell us in the comments!

1. TVNerd says:

All of the major cast including David Caspe the creator and all those actors have failed shows…Happy Endings which ran for 3 seasons was their biggest shows and they should crowdfund or whatever to at least get on streaming like Netflix or Amazon Prime since I’m sure network and cable networks have rejected them yet look at the stupid Community which continues to go on…

• Steven says:

I’d certainly help pay for a reunion!

• Patrick says:

HE wasn’t as good as its extremely fanatical fanbase makes it out to be. It was decent. It had moments of greatness, and just as many moments of smug, hipster, awfulness. And, as good as the good moments were, the more numerous bad moments were even worse. It was a very uneven show.
      To make it all worse was the fact that the writers and cast clearly thought they were gifting the universe with the greatest sitcom ever. In every interview and social networking post it was clear that they considered Friends to be a less good version of HE, and that their show cast a shadow over Seinfeld, MASH, and everything ever. To be so smug, about such mediocrity, was a real turnoff. The characters were barely likeable at the start, and they set that likeability on fire, early on in S2.

• ee says:

Patrick, disagree, sir. I caught on late to this show and I had every apprehension in the world about whether I would like it or not but I was extremely impressed. Every single episode was greatness. I have yet to watch the final episode because I plain just don’t want it to end. This is one of the few shows where you can’t overhype it because it is that damn good. To each their own though.

Lastly, mad about it being a joke but happy if it really has them toying with a reunion.

2. Amanda says:

PLEASE. This show made me so happy during its run. It was so clever and funny and just plain entertaining. I will never forgive the people that canned it.

3. GuessWhat says:

headline typo: Fools’

4. Luke says:

Casey Wilson and Caspe should be free soon when Marry Me is cancelled, Zachary Knighton will be free soon considering Weird Loners’ terrible ratings, Elisha Cuthbert and Nick Zano will be free soon considering One Big Happy’s terrible ratings, Eliza Coupe isn’t contractually tied to anything, Adam Pally left the Mindy Project, and Damon Wayans left New Girl! The time is NOW for a reunion! All of the stars have aligned! Maybe Netflix can save it, or heck, maybe Yahoo can add to their “saved cult comedy” library!

5. Tom says:

speak for yourself, some of us DID want Shaw dead

6. Steven says:

You know what I was thinking about? If Mary Tyler Moore married and then divorced Steven Tyler, then married and divorced Michael Moore, then got into a three-way lesbian marriage with Demi Moore and Mandy Moore, would she go by the name Mary Tyler Moore Tyler Moore Moore Moore?

7. David4 says:

No one serious thought it was coming back right?

8. Dude says:

Everyone pretty much assumed it was a joke, the timing of it all just didn’t make sense. However, I was hoping we’d get SOMETHING even if it was just a short reunion or one-season continuation like Arrested Development.

9. Carl says:

I hope that writers’ assistant gets fired.

10. Lauren.m says:

I figured it was an April Fools joke, but I thought we might get a cute video. Oh well. I’m still waiting for the DVDs to be released in Australia!

11. mhalver says:

That is very disappointing. I didn’t think it was going to be an announcement about new episodes or anything, but I figured maybe they had filmed some small thing for the web with the cast or such.

12. Mat says:

Can you say Deadpool, Heroes reborn, 24 live another day, Veronica Mars, Blue mountain state rise of Thailand or X-Files.

We live in the golden age of television and as a perk shows that have ended or been canceled are never truly gone as long as they have fans that are vocal and even fans that are willing to donate to crowd funding we will get another chance or as I like to say pulling an Arrested Development.

My favorite was the episode that they were having a Nerf war and accidentally burned down their neighbors home in the building across the street from them