Post Mortems

Flash Post Mortem: EP, Matt Letscher Talk Eobard's Twist, Season 2 Plans

The Flash Real Reverse-Flash

Warning: The following contains major spoilers for Tuesday’s The Flash.

Looks can be deceiving.

On Tuesday night’s The Flash, the real Eobard Thawne (as played by The Carrie DiariesMatt Letscher) was revealed during flashbacks to the night of Mama Allen’s murder. Trapped in the past, Eobard studied Dr. Wells, then took over his body to speed up the creation of the particle accelerator that would help him get back to his own time.

“It’s future tech. We’re calling it genetic camouflage,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg explains. “He basically rewrote his DNA to match Wells’.”

But what of the actual doc, who appeared to be decayed after the incident? “What happened to Harrison Wells’ real body and what really happened that night and all these things are going to start coming out,” the EP says. “What happened in [Episode] 15, not all of it went away as people are going to find out soon.”

As for the body swap twist, it’s been in the works for a while. As they were breaking Episode 13, Kreisberg and fellow EP Greg Berlanti were trying to figure out, “Why wouldn’t the blood just show them it was Wells?” Kreisberg shares. Then the idea came up of, “What if Wells wasn’t Wells? What if he stole Wells’ body?”

Once Kreisberg and Berlanti landed on the switcheroo, “We both said, ‘We should get Matt,’ who is so great at playing the villain” — he was Captain Love in The Mask of Zorro — and worked with the duo on Eli Stone, Kreisberg notes.

“They approached me earlier than you would normally be approached,” before the holidays in 2014, Letscher recalls. “I think they knew that it was going to be a big reveal and they wanted to make sure they knew who they were writing for, but also, they wanted me to be prepared and to make sure I was in the cone of silence, so to speak.”

The actor then looked at Tom Cavanagh’s performance as Wells for inspiration. “I tried to, especially in his private moments with Gideon, take a little bit of what he was doing and get that flavor into what I was doing without trying to outright copy him,” he describes.

However, if you, like this reporter, thought the Reverse-Flash’s voice doesn’t sound much like Cavanagh and wondered after the reveal if Letscher actually supplied it, the actor says he didn’t do any voiceovers for the previous episodes. (“I don’t know what they would have done in post-[production], but it wouldn’t surprise me if there was some modulation that happened to create a little bit of cognitive dissonance there when you’re watching Tom and he’s somehow not syncing up with who you think he really is,” he adds. “That would be a great way to handle it. But that’s just me speculating.”)

Donning the villain’s sleek outfit proved to be a little more challenging. “The costume was built to Tom, who is a fitter man than I,” Letscher says with a laugh. “I managed to squeeze into it. Once I was in it, this is what’s great about my job. I get to have a moment like that. You’re wearing this superhero costume in the middle of the night in Vancouver. You’re pretending to be this meta-human. … Nobody else gets to do this. It felt very special actually.”

Beyond taking on Wells’ physical identity, Letscher’s Eobard also took a little something else from Cavanagh’s character, who has often talked about his late wife. “One of the things that kind of bled through was Wells’ love for Tess that Thawne absorbed when he absorbed his body,” Kreisberg reveals, so the doc isn’t completely gone.

And neither is Letscher, who will be back this season. In fact, when the EPs filled in the actor about Eobard’s arc, “They definitely talked about the possibility of him continuing past this season,” Letscher says. “They’re still developing what that story would look like. There are so many stories you could tell with this character from the Flash anthology. He appears in so many different iterations. They have a lot to choose from, including their own story.”

1. herman1959 says:

OMG. Everything just happened AGAIN! The Reverse Flash is actually Billy from Scandal, but April 1 is tomorrow…I love this show.

2. It’s obvious that the dead body that Joe finds in the preview is the REAL Dr. Wells.

3. LaLa says:

I just flipped out watching that episode. OMG. Wow. Wow. Wow. Bravo to The Flash’s team.

4. Corey O'Donnell says:

This actor looks just like Thawne did in the comics

5. Kenny says:

Matt Letscher who played Eobard Thawn was in Eli Stone. Tom Cavanagh played his father on Eli Stone

6. topoopon says:

So, two weeks ago, when Flash went back in time, he became the Flash from that time, knowing everything that had happened to him in the previous timeline, even though the Flash from yesterday watched him zoom by, Time paradoxes make my head hurt. Also, I really hope Tom Cavanagh gets to stay on as Harrison Wells somehow. It would be a great loss for the show.

7. Alichat says:

Well, that was very Fringe-y. I half expected Peter, Olivia, and Walter to drive up as he was shape-shifting.

8. Megan says:

And to think the show is still in its first season. Amazing. BRAVO.

9. Drew says:

Maybe Wells still exists and can be separated from Thawne… Or Barry can save the real Dr. Wells while somehow keeping the timeline on track.
    But they did kinda set it up for Wells to be replaced by making Barry’s father a scientist.

10. Scribe says:

The episode was amazing but what put it over the top of brilliant was the line by the Trickster…
    “I am your father!”

• DarkDefender says:

I actually rewound it a couple times to make sure he didn’t say Luke first.. (Instead of Axel).
      :P

• Kristina says:

That was hilarious. That whole thing was well done–the former Trickster kidnapping the former Flash, then the “I am your father” line just put it over the top.

• cherylw says:

i was reading to see if anyone had a reaction to that line….i nearly died when I heard that…my neighbors had to of heard my scream…so funny

• Mark says:

I was right there with you. That was my favorite moment in an amazing episode.

• Corey O'Donnell says:

Future Barry runs back to the future after saving himself leaving thawne powerless in the street ( as his power is to siphon not tap into the speed force) hence reverse flash powerless in the past till Barry runs and he starts to suck/siphon/steal speed from barry. Hence getting barry up to highest speed is the only way he can get fast enough for what he needs to do.

Last note.

Who actually killed Nora?

Our current time Barry allen. Sad yes he learns the hard way it is worse if she lives and must make the choice. (Nos that would have deep emotional impact/shock value) .

Just some thoughts wanted to see what you all think

• Mallory says:

So who is Barry running with–Harrison’s Eobard or Eobard Eobard? This is what confuses me…

p.s. “I am your father…” I DIED.

• Briggs says:

It was Eobard Eobard. :) He didn’t become Harrison Eobard until after he got stranded in the past.
            And yes, the ‘I am your father’ line had me grinning through the commercial break. :)

• JC1 says:

That was awesome. :)

11. James D says:

That explains a lot :) definitely the best episode of the season, Getting ML as the real RF was cake. But holly cow Mark Hamill is so freaking awesome I know he’s a busy man now but please can we get him as recuring star on Flash he totally owned that episode. I wonder if the writers will play this as a jeckel/hyde type thing and maybe by the end of the season the two personalities will split, I say this only because Matt Letscher is the perfect Eobard Thawne and must continue in the role in season two but I really enjoy Tom Cavanaugh’s H. Wells I don’t want to loose him. Great Episode

12. aw says:

Truly, truly amazing episode! One thing that stood out too was Dr wells’ wife’s name – Tess Morgan, same 1st name & same initials as Tess Mercer of Smallville!

13. Dave says:

The Promo for next episode of the flash (shows promo for rest of season)seems to give away the ending to Arrow. Does anyone else see that?

• Sarah T says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Barry doesn’t go back in time to save his mom and what we’re seeing (in the previews) is an alternate timeline (what could have been) with Oliver becoming Raj, etc.

14. Sarah says:

Is the bombshell that Tom Cavanaugh is super dreamy? Because newsflash, we already know that.

15. “You’re wearing this superhero costume” or supervillain costume, rather, lol.

16. King says:

So were did Eobard get that body switching tech? Did he steal it, make it himself, or bring it with him when he traveled back on time knowing that he might need it?

17. spp138 says:

I vote for quote of the week, “Well, that wasn’t very sanitary…”

18. joe says:

Surprised no one mentioned eddie shooting two cops in the trailer…

19. Rick Katze says:

Very interesting switch to explain an awful lot. Ow, and by the way, Eddie is told who the Flash is which is just a minor bombshell in the story.

20. herman1959 says:

One question: Iris was “that close” to the Flash (when he was using his laptop), but she never realized it was Barry?

• Allen says:

Did u notice the look on Iris’ face when the Flash grabbed Hammill and demanded to know where Henry Allen was? If so, you’ll see she recognized his voice as he didn’t disguise it! Cannot wait

21. Lena says:

Maybe the real Dr. Wells is alive inside. And they will use FIRESTORM to separate rhe two?

• Ann says:

No, they didn’t merge together. Thawne took Wells’s DNA and Wells was clearly left for dead, decayed in the street. In the preview for the upcoming season, it shows police uncovering a body in the dirt…maybe that was Wells’s real body?

• Corey O'Donnell says:

Very nice thought. Great way to keep wells around. It will suck when he is not part of the day to day team. Love of tess/love of pizza! Please let it be!!!

22. “I am your father.” EPIC!!!!

23. Joey Padron says:

great episode & surprise twist. sucks it gonna be a bit longer wait until the next episode.

24. TVPeong says:

I will miss Harrison if he leaves. He has been such a good influence on Barry. I hope there is a way to separate the consciousness of the real Harrison Wells from reverse flash.

Eddie knows… and turns bad (if the previews are to be believed).

Yay… Barry’s dad knows for sure now. Loved seeing him in STAR labs with the rest of the gang.

Poor Iris, everyone in her world is lying to her.

I am your father!!!!

That preview though… Flash, Arrow, Atom and Firestorm working together. Detective West and Detective Lance!

25. scotlore says:

Curious to know what would happen to Wells/Thawne if Eddy (a “Distant relative” of Eddy Thawne) was killed. Would that change the timeline enough to save the real Wells and his wife Tess?

26. Leeeeeeeee says:

Cant wait til the next episode!!!!!!If I see anything resembling a felicity/ray/barry/Oliver love square scene I will melt!!!! Happily Melt :-) (where do I sumbit this for spoilers Q&A)LOL

27. Briggs says:

Well’s flashbacks explained a lot. Poor guy. Had no idea Eobard wanted his life that badly. Freakin’ sociopath. I was already extremely unhappy with him when he killed my baby. Knowing what he did to literally become the man he is today… hit him, Barry. Super sonic punch the guy.
    Speaking of my baby, Cisco didn’t do too much this ep, which is just fine by me. He *needed* a break after the last two weeks. Rest up, honey. You’ll need it.
    Oh boy. Does anyone else see the crush Caitlin is getting on Barry? And the fact that he appears to be *completely* obvlivious? Oliver, at least, seemed aware of Felicity’s feelings, even if he never addressed them, season one. Barry doesn’t even seem to realize that there’s something there. Then again, Oliver was a playboy in another life, and was used to women fawning over him. Barry… not so much.
    The guy who played the real Eobard was creepy and slimy and I had no problems hating him. None. He didn’t have to kill my baby to tell me he was evil. Which, I think, is a tribute to both Matt Lescher and Tom Cavanaugh. Very nice villainous work, guys.
    Oh, poor Barry. Having to deal with the fact that one of his father figures, his beloved mentor, is the man who killed his mother. I’m glad he not only had Joe to lean on, but also got to spend time with his dad, however briefly, outside of prison walls. This was truly an episode about fathers and sons.
    Speaking of both villains and fathers, Mark Hamill reprising his role as The Trickster was mah-valous. Simply Mah-valous, Dahling. And the twist that the new Trickster was c’est magnifique in the creepiest way. Star Wars reference for the win! Definitely Quote of the Week material. The performance was creepy and hiliarious, and I loved it. Way to go, Mark!
    Other people might think she’s supid, but I think Iris is trusting. How she’s going to feel when she finds out the men in her life are lying to her… oh, that’ll be a moment worth waiting for. Anyone who thinks she won’t be *ticked* when she finally knows the secret hasn’t been paying attention.
    Not that the men don’t feel bad about it. Eddie looked supremely uncomfortable with the situation, and not at all like he agreed it was better that way. Who wants to bet he has something to do with letting the cat out of the bag?
    Why, oh why, must there be a break!?!

• Briggs says:

Paragraph edit:

Speaking of both villains and fathers, Mark Hamill reprising his role as The Trickster was mah-valous. Simply Mah-valous, Dahling. And the twist that the new Trickster was his son was c’est magnifique in the creepiest way. Star Wars reference for the win! Definitely Quote of the Week material. The performance was creepy and hilarious, and I loved it. Way to go, Mark!

28. Heidi says:

Wow. Each episode builds on the former and there is never a down moment. Brilliant acting/writing. Love Tom’s glasses, BTW. Mark’s been waiting how many years to speak that line? And the “Well, that’s not very sanitary…” Epic.

29. sophia says:

THIS EPISODE WAS SO AWESOME AND THE PROMO IM FRAKKIN CUMMING HOLY SKIP

30. Ram510 says:

I’m a little confused cause if I recall correctly 2 weeks ago in one of these recap/interviews they said dr Wells will make it back home, if so, my question is which dr Wells makes it home?

31. Pat says:

A very good episode. I feel so bad for the real Dr. Wells being killed. Did this really happen in the comic books because I have never read them. The up coming episodes look intense and I am looking forward to watching them.

32. JC1 says:

I really enjoyed most of the episode. The tension between “Wells” and Barry is interesting, because it really does seem like he cares about Barry, yet we know he has this whole other agenda.
    My biggest frustration with the episode was the end. So it’s ok to let Eddie in on the secret but not Iris? Their excuses for keeping her out of this are getting absurd. Tell Iris!

33. Peter says:

I read an article a few days ago that said Reverse Flash is voiced by John Wesley Shipp.

34. Andrés says:

And if The Flash save the real Dr. Wells in the past?

35. B says:

I think the writers and producers are stretching themselves too thin! The Flash has been excellent but Arrow has been directionless this season and it deserves some attention stat! I think they need a new show runner for Arrow maybe the wife that ran Agent Carter since I’m guessing that show wont be coming back at least she knows how to plot a season that has a beginning middle and end! She married to one of the producers