Grimm Star Claire Coffee Previews What to Expect Now That Adalind's Hexpecting (Again!)

Grimm Spoilers Adalind Pregnancy Season 4

And here we thought Grimm‘s first hybrid baby was going to be a Blutbau or a Fuchsbad or something of that ilk.

But nope; as viewers of last week’s episode are well aware, NBC’s fairytale drama (Friday, 8/7c) is moving forward with another Adalind pregnancy (spurred by actress Claire Coffee‘s real-life expectant state).

If you’ve been paying attention, you know that the only person the cunning Ms. Schade bedded lately was Nick — and that was 1) while she was in the guise of his longtime love, Juliette, and 2) as part of an effort to strip him of his Grimm (read: monster-fighter) powers.

PHOTOS Cancellation Anxiety: 9 Shows You Should Probably Start Worrying About

“Yes, Nick is the father,” Coffee says, laughing. “It is insane. And now that Juliette is a Hexenbiest and they’re really pushing her character into such a dark place — and Bitsie [Tulloch] is doing such a great job working with all of that new, evil energy —  they’re using this as a way to push that even further.”

The result, she tells TVLine, is that the character landscape “has changed completely by the end of the season. It’s like, ‘Well, who’s good? Who’s bad? Who are you rooting for anymore?'”

Let’s not forget that Adalind’s first child, Diana, is missing in action, and there’ll be a lot of ‘splainin’ to do when Capt. Renard, Diana’s dad, finds out Ade’s Hexuality has backfired in a major way.

Read on as Coffee gives us the lowdown on Adalind’s second visit from the supernatural stork.

RELATED NBC Renews Blacklist, Grimm and Three Other Series

TVLINE | Was Adalind being pregnant again your idea, once you found out you were expecting?
No. Definitely not my idea… When [series creators] Jim [Kouf] and David [Greenwalt] told me they were writing it in, they said the character probably wouldn’t deliver until the following season, and this was way back before we’d gotten the pickup or anything. I was very surprised first, and then I thought, “Well, the great thing about this is that I will have no pressure to lose the baby weight.”

So that was good news. I was more just sort of like, “How are they going to make this plausible, or how are they going to get the audience on board with this?” But they’ve figured out a way to do it that raises the stakes for everyone. As you’ve seen, things have gotten so bats–t nuts all over the place, and this is just another way of upping the ante for everybody.

TVLINE | At the point that you’re shooting now, which characters know that Adalind is pregnant again?
We’re about to shoot [Episode] 19, and 19 is when everybody finds out… Adalind takes a couple of episodes to kind of like, “Okay. Let’s take a minute to figure out who the father is.” She knows it’s Nick, but publically, I think she’s trying to figure out which father will benefit her the most.

RELATED NBC Sets Summer Dates for Hollywood Game NightWelcome to Sweden and More

TVLINE | After all she went through — physically and emotionally — with Diana, and still not knowing where she is, I can’t imagine that Adalind will ever be like, “Oh, awesome. I’m doing this again.”
“Awesome” is definitely not her reaction to the baby. She’s still trying to find Diana, so when she finds out about this new pregnancy her first reaction is just, “Oh, no. What do I do with this now?” It’s fairly hard for me, just from an acting perspective, to even try to relate to what kind of emotions she must be going through and what’s motivating her to not just give up and run away to Bermuda and hang out there for the rest of her life, because she’s really got herself in a pickle. But the royal family has kept her guessing for so long, and with the new pregnancy, she will at least find out pretty quickly who has her back, if anyone.

TVLINE | When TVLine visited the set recently, you were shooting with Nico Evers Swindell, who’s playing a new prince. Is he a friend to Adalind? A foe?
It’s a total toss-up right now. They’ve written this character in such an awesome way, and Nico’s really great, but he’s a much more forceful presence, and he seems to be operating for himself. He wants results, and I think he’s definitely not as patient with Adalind’s antics as the rest of [the royals] have been… I think mostly she worries about being murdered. [Laughs] It’s mostly that.

Things are getting pretty pregnant over here on @nbcgrimm… #30Weeks #doIneedaworkpermitforthisbump #SAGAFTRA

A post shared by Claire Coffee (@clairecoffee) on

TVLINE | In real life, you’re due in May? And it’s a boy?

TVLINE | Will Grimm have wrapped by then?
We’ll be wrapped in the middle of April. I kind of plotted it out that way so that it would work with production schedule, but now there are rumors we’re going back in June. So the amount of time off I’ll have, we’ll just see, but luckily I’m on a show with eight regulars.

TVLINE | What can you tease about what you’re shooting right now?
She’s still hell-bent on getting Diana back, and I think she’s hoping that this new child will be a tool that she can use in order to get Diana back.

TVLINE | The Juliette-Adalind blowout a few episodes back was a long time coming. What’s ahead for those two?
Juliette will continue to try to kill Adalind, and Adalind will try to continue to survive.

TVLINE | I loved Adalind’s face after Juliette bests her, like “Wait a minute, this is not the way this was supposed to go.”
Yeah. I think Adalind is sort of catatonic for a lot of these episodes, just like, “The world’s spinning. What the hell do I do now?” There’s a lot of that going on.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I hate this. Every single bit of it. There I said it.

• Alichat says:

You are not alone. It’s a pathetic story.

• Katherine215 says:

Ditto. I’ve always really enjoyed Grimm and this may just turn me off it completely. So disappointed they’re taking the soap opera route.

• Fran says:

Yep, same here.

• aw says:

Same here. Can’t stand this 2nd baby storyline too. It’s like Heroes, where the writers are lazy and using the same subplots over and over again. Also, it’s bad science too because if Adalind were to become pregnant again, it would have happened in September 2014 not 3/2015. Writers should have checked the medical books on this one.

• Shannon says:

I agree. I hate this. I hated it that they made Nick sleep with Adalind in disguise and didn’t like it because 1. wouldn’t he know the difference between the two even in disguise? 2. Where were Nick’s powers to help him out? How does Adalind sleeping with Nick strip him of her powers? Funny how Adalind puts the blame on Nick and also being manipulated by the Royals who make her think they have her child and not on anyone else. I like the show and I like Nick and Adalind but separately and couldn’t get on board them sleeping together nor now her having a baby fathered by Nick. How is that plausible even in the show aspect being a grimm and hexenbiest? What will the child be a grimm, biest both? How will that work with the realm of supernatural beings? Would he have powers like his sister? Will this child also be a target especially when find out the father is a grimm? I guess I will just watch things later and not on their normal nights. I also disliske the grimm in training immensely. The only people I like are the married couple. I wish they made Nick realize the trick adalind did and fought against things like captain renard did when he and juliette was put under a spell. They fought and didn’t sleep together. I like Julliette being the Vet and good human female and don’t like where she is going and how did she become a hexenbiest it did not make sense. I wanted Nick and Julliette to get back together but now with this pregnancy it would seem unlikely and just grates my nerve.

• Shannon says:

I also dislike that Nick is suppose to be this great grimm and learning etc.. and yet he keeps getting duped etc..isn’t his grimm powers suppose to help him and what happened to the storyline of his grimm being affected by him being a zombie? They never delved too much into that although they said they would. I know Nick thought he slept with Jullitte but why didn’t he use protection and I agree I hate that they are going the soap opera route with the show and everything. Ugh..
        So many more complaints and issues but I guess I will have to see and just watch things later or when it comes on cable.

• Sarah says:

He wouldn’t use protection if Juliette is on the pill, which is likely. They’ve been in a relationship for years, it’d be normal for them to have stopped using condoms. Adalind could hardly bring it up. I doubt she even thought this would happen, she was focused on other things at the time.

I think this pregnancy opens up a world of awesome possibilities.

• Aura says:

I’m agree with you! I really hate this character. She should never got knocked up with Nick. And she should have died instead of Juliette! This is CRAP!

2. justsomeguy says:

It’s definitely strange. Her having a kid with Nick is, imo, a little too far off the map. I’m not hopeful for where the story goes. Guess i’ll watch til the end of the season and hope it doesn’t completely break the show.

3. Asid says:

Me too .I m a fan of the show i like her character but i mean she doesn’t even get her girl back and she’s expecting again come on

4. Charity says:

Did the writers forget she was sleeping with Renard up until days before seducing Nick?!

• Shannon says:

They must have because I forgot that too and they could easily make it renard the father again! What about the contract Adalind signed with that witch? Isn’t that still in play because she was suppose to hand the baby over? I feel bad that the resistance no longer have an inside man. I hope they tease the father as being Nick but turns out it is Renard again or something. I don’t want it to be Nick’s and if they make it I am not sure how I will react. I also wonder how they will make Julliette react to the news and the whole wesen community especially Nick being a grimm. Is Adalind still a hexenbiest? I wasn’t sure.

• Charity says:

I’ve been rewatching the seasons during the hiatus and … Adalind was living with and sleeping with Renard right up to the point where he confronted her in Juliette’s house before she made the potion. It’s like, HELLO, why did Adalind assume the baby’s was Nick’s?

I just … I hope there’s a big twist, like Juliette and Adalind are body-sharing somehow, so the baby isn’t really hers, because … we JUST DID a baby plot on this show… WITH ADALIND. It’s redundant. It’s boring. It’s stupid.

Juliette? Juliette is going to flip her top and go all Hexenbiest nuts on everyone’s backside. Or that’s what I suspect, anyway.

Interesting, the thought that the Royals and/or Hexenbiests might have a claim to this baby because the last contract went unfulfilled. OOOH, CREEPY. Hey, maybe since she didn’t READ the contract, it somehow MADE her get pregnant again?? Fun thought to ponder.

Yes, Adalind is a full-on Hexenbiest.

5. Maryann says:

I trust the fantastic writers. They have done great so far, and I feel sure that will continue.

6. Susan says:

I am looking forward to seeing what they have in store with this new twist. Grimm continues to keep me guessing.

7. Hodan says:

I love her and I can’t wait to watch the new episodes.

8. Scribe says:

She’s like Katrina on Sleepy Hollow, overstaying her welcome.

9. Maple Leaf Momma says:

I’ll hang in BUT if the writers continue in this incomprehensible vein (Adalind pregnant with Nick’s child)…I will, sadly, move on.

• Shannon says:

I agree. I wonder how they will explain how Nick a grimm could impregnate a wesen in the first place. Will his mom return? I also wonder how they will explain how Nick is the father after only one night with Adalind. Must be some expressive sperm. I just want to know how they will explain the dynamics. I am a little disappointed that the show is losing it’s focus from Nick and his Grimm powers/ duties changing things and learning and growing and seems to be more on adalind and all this craziness.

10. AnnieM says:

I just love them both, so i`m not dissapointed in all of this! :) I really ship Adalind/Nick from the 1st season… Juliette is ok, but i like Adalind more, i know she`s evil, but also i`m kind of into her…. I think they should put Juliette with Renard for a little while… ) otherwise, writers doing a great job here, no doubt!

11. Kris says:

Wow. So much hate for this storyline…but I actually like the twist. I think it’s gonna be pretty fun. Didn’t know she is pregnant in real life though so that was a surprise.

12. Georgia Madman says:

I was really digging Grimm now that Juliette (who I’ve hated since day 1) is a Hexanbiest. Now Adalind (who I’ve hated since Day 1) is pregnant again and she’ll chew up precious screen time that would be better spent on Monroe and Rosealee. I’d rather watch Rosealee sleep than Adalind do anything except maybe get her ass kicked by Juliette — that was fun.

13. smartysenior says:

I never cared for the Adalind character and was happy when Nick took away her power and she disappeared. I mean, the actress is good don’t get me wrong but I never liked the character or anywhere they put her in the story. They should have given her some sort of redeeming story, everything she does to everybody is always evil to the point of dull. Your stomach kind of sinks when she’s back, it’s like “oh brother not her again”. It may be too late to give her any likeable qualities, just send her back to the castle or something.

• Shannon says:

I also don’t get how sleeping with a Grimm took away Nick’s powers. I understand the blood of a grimm took away hers and that was found out by accident. I never got the whole seduce Nick take away his powers and now her pregnant storyline. Please return show to its top form with more grimm fight scenes, learning etc…more mythology and trepidation with Diana and what’s her connection to Nick and what is so special about both especially when Nick had to be kept safe and now Diana. I agree Adalind could have been given a story line to redeem herself but they went with the old conniving revenge route which is boring and old. She is a master manipulator and she doesn’t even realized when she is being played or used.

14. Grimm has so much potential to be an awesome, action packed show…but it keeps on getting more and more like a soap opera. I really wanted to see Nick develope and use his powers (what happened to his “super” powers from the zombie days? Those would be awesome to see developing!). More action, more super powerful fight scenes or clever plots and LESS soap opera drama!
    This new pregnancy makes me want to give up on Grimm altogether which is sad because in the beginning seasons we were glued!

• Shannon says:

I agree whole heartedly. I want to see more Nick and him developing powers and fight scenes and they were suppose to delve into the affects the zombie days had on nick and his powers. I watched the show for Nick and his powers and growing and learning about Grimm. Not the Adalind show where she is getting pregnant by everyone. I like the character but not as a show stopper.

15. John NYC says:

Anything that puts more Claire and Adalind on my screen is fine by me. She’s a fun character by and large on a show that needs fun.

16. Sandra Gulden says:

She slept with the Captain too, right before Nick. The Inheritance with the Capt., Blond Ambition with Nick.

17. juan maglangit says:

I like the story so far, cuz I was caught off-guard with that pregnancy thingy.

18. emmy says:

i love it! oh the drama! i can’t stand juliette.

19. I have stopped watching the Grimm after episode 13 when I found out about Adalind’s new baby. What are you guys thinking? I want old Grimm back. Too much sex and drama. I hate it.

20. Fran says:

Unlike most people I like this new storyline with Adalind. Plus, her character doesn’t get enough screentime, wand maybe she finally will. The writers have done a great job with this show until now, and I trust that they know what they’re doing with this plot.

• Carolyn Mosby says:

I love this new twist in the storyline Nick and Adelaide has more sizzle on screen than Nick and Juliet. I would like to Juliet paired with the new Royal

21. Imogen says:

I’m A little disappointed about the soap opera rote but my curiosity for the grimm wesen hybrid out weighs my disappointment for recycling a pregnancy plot line with the same character

22. angel says:

love it cant wait for nick and everyone else find out

23. NikNak says:

Well, I was googling to see if they had wrapped up this 2nd baby story so I could resume watching Grimm. Ugh, I guess I’ll just have to start doing something productive with my Friday nights, or sleep.

24. Crystal says:

Right before the wedding Adalind slept with Renard in the hotel. Renard could be the father.

25. Gwen Scott says:

I hope the writers care about our comments. I am so over Adeline/baby story lines. We want to see Nick and his team kick bad Wesen butt. We don’t want soap storylines. Love Grimm, but not on this path. Please return to what you gave us with the first season, a hero in the Nick character.

26. Some people dont like change…. I love all the characters…especially Monroe. I know that sounds sappy. Whats cool is the interaction and loyalty between most of the characters. If only non vessen were like that. Haha I don’t think its a soap opera. (I dont like them) Theres gonna be some —- hit the fan when this all goes down. In closing every woman should be able to keep her job when she decides to have a family.

27. Brian says:

Season 1 was really great then sadly it started going downhill from there. .

28. ahnanimus says:

Season 1 was awesomely great…and then sadly it started going downhill from there.

29. Shar says:

Sorry. I disagree. I love it. It is no surprise to me. From the first episode when Aunt Marie tells Nick to let Juliette go. It was headed for heartbreak. I love the Nick and Adalind storyline. As bumpy as it is. I like them together maybe not this season but…. sometime.

30. Shar says:

If Nick’s mother returns I will go nuts. I hate that. Fairy tale, or not if you cut off someones head they are dead. I like where the show is going. I have always loved the tension between Nick and Adalind. Monroe is my favorite though. Grimm keeps it fresh.

31. liza says:

Adalind is sooooooo bad but Claire is verrrrry gooood & beautiful.i love it

32. Anonimous455 says:

Adalind’s second pregnancy with the Burkhardt’s child is the only good thing of this bored show right now. I hope Nick and Adalind end like a couple in the last season 6.