Mindy Project Season Finale Recap: Danny, You da Bomb(ay)

Mindy Project

Mindy Lahiri, your lies of omission are the stuff of legend.

The expectant OB-GYN spends the first third of The Mindy Project‘s season finale trying to get Danny to come to Boston to meet her folks — and after he doesn’t, she’s forced to admit to Peter that her parents have no idea she and Dr. C are together.

PHOTOS Cancellation Anxiety: 9 Shows You Should Probably Be Worried About

But that’s only one of her problems as the comedy’s third season comes to a close. Mindy also has preeclampsia, and she’s forced to come face to face with a gaggle of her ex-boyfriends, thanks to Morgan and some classic Three’s Company action. Read on to find out what happens in “Best Man.”

* Mindy really wants Danny to come to Boston with her to bid her parents goodbye before they leave for a year in India. Also, he’s never met them. He plans to meet her in Beantown after a late surgery, but when it runs over, he calls and apologizes but says he’s not going to make it. Mindy is disappointed (and, might I add, gorgeous in a sari and traditional jewelry).

RELATED TVLine Mixtape: Songs From Mindy, Grey’s and More

* Back at home, she tells a visiting Peter — who’s asked her to be his best man — that she wanted Danny at the party so badly because she’s never told her parents about him. Morgan overhears part of the conversation, immediately thinks the worst (of course) and rounds up several of Mindy’s former boyfriends, whom he presents at Mindy’s surprise baby shower at Annette’s. As Lee, Jamie, Casey and Josh look on, everything gets straightened out/admitted… including Danny admitting he doesn’t want to get married.

* After Mindy leaves, Annette takes her son to task for being so cynical about marriage: “Maybe the problem isn’t marriage. Maybe the problem is, we picked people who didn’t deserve it.” With Mindy stuck in New York with preeclampsia (can’t fly, which means she can’t go to Texas for Peter’s wedding — don’t worry, Jeremy steps up and Best Mans his heart out), Danny leaves… but he travels to India to meet her parents instead. When their door opens, he announces, “Hi, I’m Danny Castellano, and I’m in love with your daughter.”

That’s it for the season, kids! What did you think of the episode? Tell us in the comments!

1. Jess says:

Mindy is killing me! If the show does not get renewed, what a place to end. I enjoyed the episode; at one point I did find myself saying: is this a comedy? A nice change of pace. It’s ironic that so many episodes this season ended with Mindy and Danny resolving their issues, but the season finale, possibly series, ends with some ambiguity.

Please nominate Messina for performer of the week!

2. Kaylee says:

That was the finale?!? So well done, but man if this show gets cancelled, I’m going to live in constant agony for not knowing what happened next.

3. Lyla says:

For the love of God, please renew this show. It’s one of the only smart comedies out there (certainly the only one on network television that I can stand to watch). Funny and brilliant. And the season finale tonight…. Just perfect.

4. Jo jo says:

Cancel New Girl. That show is the worst. Mindy is a amazing written show. Love this episode.

• Mandy says:

I don’t understand viewer’s need to throw the shows they don’t watch under the bus. I personally love New Girl, quite a bit more than The Mindy Project. I can’t get any of my friends who watch New Girl to watch The Mindy Project, either.

• Jessica says:

Dont worry, reportedly they have already started filming New Girls 5th season (to shoot around her pregnancy), and Mindy will probably get renewed for syndication reasons :)

5. arlielaurie68 says:

PLEASE don’t let this be the end!!!!!! if they punt this for a rework of the Xfiles, a show I didn’t watch the first time, I will lose my mind. Let Mindy rule ;)

6. JBH7402 says:

Great show. The writing could go off the rails as many a show has but the way the writers have handled their relationship and baby is such a fresh a approach, and delivered by such a great cast. The show must be renewed!

7. Catalina says:

That was perfect.

8. mary says:

Amazingly written episode. I love love love Peter and Mindy’s relationship, the fact Jeremy and Peter did the best man dance.

Mindy Kaling doesn’t get enough credit for her acting this season but she has been so good!

9. Allee says:

Love this show! Everyone’s already said it, but it has to be renewed. And Emmy noms for Mindy Kaling and Chris Messina!

10. Michelle says:

It was perfection! My #1 favorite show since day one. Messina smolders and Mindy is just delicious. Plus I’m also totally in love with Morgan. PLEASE Fox renew!!!

11. S says:

No one can make me laugh my butt off one minute (Annette and Dot and their vests!) and have me tearing up the next (Mindy’s amazing heart to heart with Danny about deserving the chance to be married). This is my can’t miss show every week, I better see Season 4 somewhere! Mindy Kaling and Chris Messina absolutely need to be looked at for Performer of the Week!

12. bradick says:

As much as I want one more for The Mindy Project, this episode really reminded me of how great Chris Messina is dramatically. When he said “That’s what marriage is” I started crying. It reminded me of how great he’s been on dramas like Six Feet Under and Damages. Messina has done great for the show and for Mindy, but I look forward to a future where he can play more serious roles. That being said, this episode and this show are fantastic and if I renewal doesn’t I will be very sad.

13. Joey Padron says:

Great finale. Hope the show will get a season 4! I want to see Mindy’s parents on the show next season!

14. Emma says:

Mindy is the best comedy on tv, hands down. Chris Messina (and Mindy herself) KILLED it. I hope he gets nominated for performer of the week. And if this show doesn’t get renewed, goodness gracious, I don’t know what I will do! SO GOOD.

15. knd24 says:

That was perfect, so very perfect. If it’s not renew I’m starting a formal protest.

16. A Fan of TV says:

Is it bad that I feel relaxed about this show’s renewal chances? I know ratings matter (and I’m not in the U.S. so it’s not like I can technically help in that regard), but this show is so excellent that if Fox doesn’t want to renew it, I’m overly confident someone else would pick it up. Also, Mindy Kaling is worthy of an Emmy nod, which should be enough for Fox to keep it going. Or maybe I’m biased and delusional. But so what! More Mindy, more more more!!

17. Laura says:

Haven’t Mindy and Danny been together for a bit, like let’s say over nine months? Wouldn’t her exes know that they were not the father?

• Mary says:

I think that was part of the joke because all they’d have to do is think. I also started to wonder what Morgan told them because yeah it was weird.

But seeing the exes and Dot’s why are they all white made it worth it.

18. Jessie says:

This show is just amazing! It’s the funniest on network tv and it is so well written. Messina is perfection one of my most favorite actors. The scene with Annette and Danny Whoa Nelly! I’m a divorced Mom and I never want my kids to not believe in love. The writers are so clever how they mix real feelings and hilarious banter altogether and it doesn’t feel cheesy. Mindy I love you! Please renew!!!

19. monica says:

ahhh please review the Mindy project!!!!
    what a cliffhanger

20. Stacy says:

Kaling is always stylish, but she looked amazing in the sari! I wish they could have done a bit more comedically with the ex-boyfriends, but I presume there was quite a bit of scheduling in getting all those people even for just the one scene. (And who cares about Casey? The other three guys are much funnier.)

I like that they’re pacing out the relationship with different angles than some sitcoms, but some parts reminds me of Gilmore Girls, season 6. Mindy/Lorelai never actually confronting a situation they hate until everything starts falling apart.

21. Rachel says:

That was amazing!!! Please renew this show, it’s so good:) I will be devastated if we don’t get more seasons :(

22. Ray says:

I knew we wouldn’t meet Mindy’s parents because there hasn’t been any casting announcement to that effect yet. At least we’ll get to meet them next season, I suppose.

23. Ally Oop says:

I totally missed the boat on this show but if it shows up for streaming on Netflix I’m gonna binge watch it.

24. Hannah says:

LOVED IT!!! What a great finale!!

25. Rafael says:

I’m glad Beverly met Annette and Dot for the first time as a club, they should continue meeting each other and talk like rough cranky old women along the way, good time or bad times, anyway.

Yes, the Castellanos are a completely messed-up family, that I can tell. But I’m glad Danny going to India and meeting Mindy’s real parents, which is strongly important.

This better be “TO BE CONTINUED” after all in this current season!

26. Betty says:

Such a great episode to end a great season. I loved how the humor with Peter balanced the seriousness of Danny’s fear of marriage, since he and his mother failed at it. I loved Morgan’s rose for Mindy to name the father. Chris Messina was FANTASTIC! Please renew.

27. CC says:

Great finale! I was laughing and crying at different scenes. Please Please Please renew this show!! This is my favorite show and I’ll be so sad not to see what happens!

28. Johany says:

Amazing season finale, great writing and excellent cast, this show is the best!. And now what will happen with Mindy and Danny, can’t wait for the next season.

29. RobAndCo says:

If the show is renewed for a 4th season they need to fix their sound editing problem. It has been off for several episodes and it is really annoying considering how clever the show is.

30. MauMau says:

I know this is a comedy (and one I particularly love!) but I hope they don’t treat preeclampsia lightly. It is a potentially fatal condition for both mother and child and should ALWAYS be taken seriously. It is more than just high blood pressure. Our daughter was stillborn at 36wks as a result of preeclampsia. I wish with everything in me that I had been better informed of the dangers of this condition. I miss my baby girl with an intensity you can’t imagine. I hope this episode doesn’t make people think preeclampsia is no big deal.

31. jjlove says:

that’s all why did you guy have to cancel it i really what to she the what happens after that but the mindy project was really great

32. Hannah H says:

The Mindy Project has been MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE recent comedy. I realize it’s SO much more than that, including relatable (!), but it seriously has so much potential and is entirely worth investing in at least…eh, let’s compromise, five more seasons. I just watched the entire first, second, and (to the latest episode available) third seasons in less than 2 weeks. It’s hilarious, silly, romantic, well-written, and displays the lives of some excellent, well-developed characters — especially Mindy! I do understand various complaints about taking the image of a doctor or nurse more seriously. But, I think The Mindy Project really just shows people as people – that not even the doctors’ lives are perfect. Every recurring character is viably, humorously human and contributes to the story unfolding. It shows people who dream hard, love hard, people trying to balance work and play and a personal life. Please, please, please, Fox: let the show go on!

33. Love this show. Begging for a 4th season. I will say that some of her humor is a little crude and I have had to convince myself it’s her dry humor, but nothing else on TV is this witty. Please do t leave me hanging like this!

34. Marissa says:

Seriously. Hate the show? Fine, could’ve just left it at that. But some comments are just really unnecessary.