AMC's Walking Dead Spinoff Snags Two-Season Order, Premiere Date

The Walking Dead Spinoff Premiere Date

AMC’s Walking Dead spinoff officially has a pulse — and a strong one at that.

The cabler announced Monday that it has greenlit the still-untitled offshoot for not one but two seasons, with the first six episode season launching in late summer.

The series, which will be set in Los Angeles, stars Cliff Curtis (Gang Related), Kim Dickens (Deadwood), Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) and Alycia Debnam Carey (Into the Storm).

“We feel empowered by this two-season commitment, a serious show of faith from our network partner AMC,” exec producer Robert Kirkman said in a statement. “I personally take it as a sign that they believe, like we do, that we’ve accomplished our goal of developing something original that can pay tribute to the original show and expand the world I created while at the same time having something new to say with this story. I’m very grateful that we now have the opportunity to tell this amazing story and show the fans that we really haven’t scratched the surface yet when it comes to The Walking Dead.”

Added AMC prez Charlie Collier: “We take incredibly seriously the notion of building a satisfying companion series to the number one show on television. From the beginning of The Walking Dead on AMC, we’ve been asked questions about what was going on in other parts of the zombie apocalypse, and what it looked like as the world really did ‘turn.’ Through this new series, we’re going to find out. Robert Kirkman, Dave Erickson and their writing team, along with an incomparable set of producers, cast and crew have created something remarkable and clearly distinct. We respectfully follow the request of Monty Python as we bring out (the latest of) our Dead.”

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Matt C. says:

I assumed AMC would wait until next October to launch the spinoff after The Walking Dead. They must really have confidence in it to premiere it in the summer on its own. Can’t wait to watch!

• Ellinas1978 says:

Mad Men’s first two seasons started mid and late July.

Late summer can be mid August, which with a Labor Day weekend break could lead right into Walking Dead, with enough marathons that people get into it by the time it’s all done with.

• Hi says:

what do you mean after? there is still more seasons to come buddy.

2. Mike R. says:

Mixed feeling because I want Lexa to remain a presence on the 100, but I will probably give the new show a chance.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Guess she somehow dies in the finale then. Wish I read this on Thursday. Oh well.

• JC says:

Lexa is not in The 100 finale and the shows creator said in an interview that they are trying to work out a deal for her to do both shows.

• Sarah says:

Well, if they start filming the rest of season 1 of the spinoff in April/May and film the episodes back to back, they should be done filming by June/July, and I’m guessing The 100 will get back to filming in July, so theoretically, they could make it work. Let’s hope AMC will give her the flexibility to work on The 100, because she has become one of my favorite parts of the show.

• Lizo says:

I’m hoping the fluidly of the filming schedule will allow her to do both. Cause I’m getting tired of losing people on The 100 lol

3. JJM says:

In other words, “money, money, money”.

• H says:

television is a business.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Compared to all the not-for-profit ones out there, right?

• BAF says:

And what’s so bad about that? America is based on that concept. As a matter of fact, if you hold down an occupation, you, too, are doing “something” to make money. It always amuses me how people will attack something, be it Disney, Coke-a-Cola, Nike, the music industry, whatever, by stating that it is all about money. It is. So?

• Leon Pearce says:

i believe the’re reffering to the fact that acting/tv originally stemmed from the creative arts, but is now considerably less derived and influenced more so with what is the safest option to make money.

also to say people only work for money in my opinion is fairly ignorrant. there is people that work purely for financial gain; but also people that work for passions such as knowledge, humanitarian causes, ecological causes, wildlife… i could go on.

all in all i freaking love the walking dead though :D

4. Mik says:

I’m happy it’s not going to air at the same time as TWD 1.0. I’m not sold on the idea of following a family in the apocalypse. It seems a bit mild compared to TWD 1, since I doubt they’re going to kill off any of those four, but I could be totally wrong. This is The Walking Dead after all. This is definitely the most excited I’ve ever been for a spin-off, despite having a few concerns.

5. soakedpancakes says:

Sometime in summer isn’t exactly a confirmed airdate. But it’s what we’ve been expecting.

6. Larry says:

Six episodes? That’s all. Is that because of the late start for 2015 or because it will finish pretty much when season 6 premieres. This looks more of a placeholder for Walking Dead than as a second series. The two aren’t designed to run concurrent with each other.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Not a placeholder. There was a little AMC show called Breaking Bad that started with 7 episodes in season 1. Better Call Saul is 10. They’ve done this before.

• JUB JUB O'HUSKY says:

OR…. another show AMC did called…. uh ….. THE WALKING DEAD …. season one was 6 episodes of awesome…. look into it.

• Simon Jester says:

The first season of BREAKING BAD was only 7 episodes because of the Writers Strike — not because it was planned that way.

7. ggny says:

Cant wait for TWD: SVU and TWD: Cyber Undead Bully

8. Larry says:

Well looking at this again -16 episodes of TWD + 6 episodes of spin-off = 22 episodes. Same as regular season on broadcast television. I guess this is a way for AMC to get a full season of TWD without doing a full 22 episodes. And since AMC splits TWD into 2 parts -now they can split it into 3.

9. Tim says:

6 episodes seems weird.

10. Pat says:

So if season 1 is six episodes and season 2 is six episodes, they get less than one current season of the original. That’s a show of faith for you haha

• johnhelvete says:

That is the problem with some TV fans. Network shows have to be 22 episodes. Cable shows have to be 13 episodes. If the original series is 16 episodes than there is something wrong if the spinoff is not doing 16 episodes as well. Why cant the writers be allowed to tell the story they want to tell in a certain number of episodes instead of being “forced” to have a set number of episodes.

• m3rcnate says:

The first season of TWD was 6 episodes and no where does it say the second season will only be 6 episodes. A 6 episode first season (especially for such a big, ambitious, expensive and original show) makes the amount of work on the crew/writers/showrunner/directors shoulders more bearable.
      6 Episodes in their first season is also manageable from a financial stand-point. AMC can order a 6 episode season and if it tanks, they didnt spend a crap ton of $ shooting and having 16-20 episodes already in the “can”.

Much like the first season of TWD, 6 episodes can also be a fantastic tight punch of story. By being so few episodes the story doesn’t need filler, it can be all about the characters and the plot(s), meaning the episodes can be extremely high quality which will draw a ton of viewers, hopefully create a ton of loyal fans that will come back and watch each week then scream they want Season 2 ASAP.
      All around a shorter first season is just good business and good for the story & characters.

11. Timot says:

I have been a fan of ” The Walking Dead ” from the very first episode. Now having a chance to see how the great change effected another part of America! I can’t waite to see how it goes!

• m3rcnate says:

Personally LA doesn’t really interest me just because it has been the location of SOOOOOOOOO many TV shows. One of the really cool things about TWD is their shooting on location (well, before they left Georgia to go to D.C.)

I am however VERY excited to see something original from TWD…its one thing to make the show based on a comic book but this is ALL new…all those ideas the past 10+ years that Kirkman has had that he couldn’t get into TWD comic or TV show…those can all be implemented into this TV show. Relationships, certain characters, certain plots, certain locations…this could get interesting REAL fast. I dig it.

12. JKR says:

Haven’t read TWD comics, so I don’t know… but I wish they would show the world prior to with that crew as well.

13. Vfan says:

It only says that the first season is 6 episodes, nothing about season 2 which could be more. IIRC, the first season of TWD was 6 episodes too.

14. alistaircrane says:

I read this article up and down and I don’t see any premiere date listed.

15. Joey Padron says:

Good news the show got pickup to series & get a 2nd season. Looking forward to check out the show this summer!

16. Nappi says:

I don’t care what anyone say’s, 6 episodes is not a season. I’d call it a mini-series at best. Geez…back in the day, Combat with Vic Morrow made 32 one hour episodes every season for like 5 years. Sprinkle in a few repeats and pre-empts and you had yourself a 9 month season. Those were season, and those were the days…

17. frosty says:

Honestly, I’m not mad to see another ZA series. IMO there were a couple of seasons WD got lost in the weeds storywise, hope they’ll bring what they learned to the new show. I’ll wait to check out the new one, not in any hurry.

18. Jack says:

And by “premiere date”, they mean “ballpark premiere season”.

“Late summer” is not a “date”.

19. d.k.shrader says:

My friends and I love the show but feel the season is too short by the time the show gains momentum it’s over and we have to wait another year. it’s very frustratingand as much as we love The Walking Dead we debate whether we want to go through the same frustration the next season. please help

20. Sharon says:

Can’t wait to check it out this summer! If its great like the walking dead I’m sure everybody will tune in too!

21. LeeThaRickFan says:

Soooooo when Is the release date?

22. Jim Downing says:

A great fan of the original Walking Dead can’t wait for the new one to start. Also love the Last Ship.