Ratings: Scandal, Elementary and Blacklist Slip; Grey's, Odd Couple and Bang Rise; American Crime Tops Hour

ABC’s American Crime debuted on Thursday night to 8.4 million total viewers and a 2.0 demo rating, down from both How to Get Away With Murder‘s debut (14.1 mil/3.8) and its week-ago finale (9 mil/2.8), yet improving upon Black Box‘s spring 2014 launch in the time slot (6.9 mil/1.5).

Despite dropping 12 and 33 percent of its lead-in, the freshman drama — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B+” — easily led the 10 o’clock hour in both total viewers and in the demo.

Opening ABC’s night, Grey’s Anatomy (8.1 mil/2.4) rose 7 percent and two tenths. Scandal (9.6 mil/3.0) slipped three tenths.

Elsewhere….

FOX | American Idol (9.3 mil/2.1) ticked down a tenth week-to-week; Backstrom (3.9 mil/1.0) gained a tenth.

NBC | The Slap (3.4 mil/0.8) dipped in viewers but inched up a tenth in the demo. The Blacklist (8 mil/1.7) slipped two tenths, matching its series low. (That said, NBC notes that the drama has improved the time slot by 175 percent versus the previous season average.) Allegiance (3.4 mil/0.8) was flat.

CBS | The Big Bang Theory (17.9 mil/4.7) and The Odd Couple (12.5 mil/3.0) each added viewers and two tenths in the demo. Mom (9.6 mil/2.2) ticked up a tenth, Elementary (7.5 mil/1.3) slipped 10 percent and two tenths.

1. Ray says:

I’m sure ABC is disappointed with American Crime’s numbers. They should have stuck to their original plan and aired Secrets & Lies in that time slot–its more compatible with the rest of the TGIT line up.

• Sally says:

I had no idea Odd Couple was even on. Is it getting any promotion at all? I’m watching it on demand now, and its…..not good. Matthew Perry seems like he’s over-acting.

• Joe says:

Really ?they promo the hell out of it since the start of the year

• Nero tTVf says:

Odd Couple is far from perfect, but the cast is pretty good. There’s potential there, it is going to come down to the writing (as it often does) as to how long the show lasts.

Leslie Bibb returned for episode 3 the other night, which was nice to see. Perry’s Oscar character may be a bit over the top, but probably because he is trying too hard to make a weak script work. I do hope the series gets better and gets more time next fall – that cast has potential – they have literally gathered actors from every former comedy series they could find – Friends, HIMYM, GCB, Grosse Point, News Radio, Community, etc. Something good should come out of all this effort – at least one would hope. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for this series to make the Upfront cut in May for CBS.

2. RedReddington says:

Thursdays are killing the Blacklist. But oh, as long as it has improved the timeslot by “175 percent”, then by all means, let it continue its slow death to Scandal instead of moving it back to Mondays. *smh*

• johnhelvete says:

Thursday at 9pm might have been a mistake but NBC was never going to keep the Blacklist on after the Voice for two full seasons. I am sure some of the decline in live viewers has a little to do with the show doing several boring procedural episodes like the one in Uzbekistan (almost turned that episode off it was awful).

• B says:

agreed, nbc needs the post voice slot to launch new shows and at some point blacklist needs to stand on its own

• Nero tTVf says:

Well said. That’s the bottom line – Blacklist had to leave the Monday 10pm nest eventually. NBC has a job to do now – they need to find a better lead-in show at 8pm – soon.

Just noticed NBC canceled Allegiance and moved Slap to 10pm. What is NBC going to place at 8pm? A ‘special’ Dateline series arc of reporting real life stories with ‘Blacklist’-like themes. That’s how bad things are at NBC. Need a series to fill in a hole in the Primetime lineup? Throw in another Dateline. Frankly, someone at NBC should be fired for this. To not have a backup series of any kind to place on Thursday nights at 8pm is unforgivable.

• Tran says:

The Blacklist is doing fine on Thursdays at 9 and you guys better stop whining and complaining about that. I’ll never hear the end of this before the TV season comes to a close right up until the upfronts come May.

3. Tran says:

Hope CBS better bring back The McCarthys soon to air its remaining episodes but to have repeats of Big Bang Theory on a Thursday night is not good enough like they did on a Monday night in the 2 Broke Girls time slot (Mondays at 8 pm).

• TVNerd says:

Do you not work or go to school? I see you post everyday numerous times

• Tran says:

You ask the wrong person and you don’t know anything about me because you’re NOT reading minds or being a psychic. Try not to get mad at me or throw a temper tantrum or stop whining and complaining and apologize to me for your rude comments towards me and I mean it ’cause I’m not lying and be Mr. Nice Guy or else I’ll go all Jack Bauer on you.

• c-mo says:

Chill dude! I actually wondered the same thing because it looks like you watch every TV show that airs…no malicious intent, just an observation.

• lkh says:

why the hell do you all care what Tran does? Mind your own business and focus on the quality of the comments.

4. Mik says:

So we’re going to have an American Crime AND an American Crime Story? I mean, I can’t really blame the producers of the shows. Putting “America” or “American” in the title always sounds incredibly powerful, but I still find this rather unfortunate. I hope AC continues to do well. It’s nice to see networks take chances like that, even though it’s not really working out for NBC and The Slap.

5. Joe says:

Cbs is using that as programming shackle like Nbc is using The Voice

6. sarah j says:

As soon as NBC announced they were moving the Blacklist, I knew it was a mistake.

I wonder if NBC regrets that and also if they regret cancelling Parenthood. It did way better than Allegiance has been doing!

7. Joey says:

Of course American Crime is down from HTGAWM’s numbers. I mean, I don’t watch ABC all that much, but I can recall seeing promotion for HTGAWM all over TV leading up to its premiere plus tons of material for it over the net. Have I really seen a single trailer for American Crime? I can’t recall seeing one at all.

• Jean Alica says:

I really enjoyed the Blacklist this week. We and the younger members of our family love that show. I think this episode was popular with all of us. The Blacklist often picks up certain points at later dates which is fun or maddening depending which way you look at it. T Earl King was just…. well.

• Joe says:

I’ve seen spots for Acs all over the place , they were on so much I got sick of them

• Lucifer says:

Same here. They had promos running on Xfinity OnDemand, ABC, and many cable networks for the past month. Not to mention glowing reviews from every mainstream news site and social media accounts created to promote the show as well. This show was over-promoted, if it fails then it’s because nobody cared as much as HTGAWM.

8. kmw says:

I don’t think ABC expected American Crime to match HTGAWM’ S numbers, so it did pretty well, although it should have done better going up against Allegiance. NBC is changing their Thursday line up so maybe Blacklist might get lift from a different show. Interesting Greys went up and Scandal went down. CBS had a good night until Elementary, and really no surprise with FOX. Backstrom will be off for two weeks and then it gets paired with Bones. Hard to see it getting renewed

9. Amy H says:

What about DIG?

10. Babygate says:

I don’t think ABC expected to have another HTGAWM at 10. Considering the time and he fact that the genre is completely distinct from the TGIT staples, AC did very well.