Suits Finale Preview: The L-Bomb, Brotherly Flashbacks — Plus: Watch Harvey and Donna's First Meeting!

Suits Season 4 Spoilers

To bring out the can opener or not?

An early version of last week’s Suits found would-be couple Harvey and Donna going back to their old celebratory ritual and opening a whole new can of worms — by sleeping together again, executive producer Aaron Korsh tells TVLine.

Instead of the old wahh-chicka-wahh, however, the show’s writers chose to have Harvey tell his secretary that he loves her. Now the question looms: Did he mean it in a romantic sense?

RELATED Suits‘ Gina Torres on Jessica’s Big Choice and Hannibal Encore

“I did not view it as Harvey confessing that he’s in love with Donna,” Korsh admits.

Still, this Wednesday’s season finale (USA Network, 10/9c) promises to bring the pair’s relationship to head while also introducing a long-awaited brother and a new obstacle for Mike and Rachel, the EP previews.

Bonus: We’ve got a sneak peek video at the end of this post unveiling Harvey and Donna’s flashback meet-cute!

TVLINE | The show has been teasing the Donna/Harvey relationship for a while now, but it’s always been very slow and subtle. What made you decide to take this big leap forward and bring their feelings to the surface in a more overt way?
The idea was floated of them sleeping together. We actually looked into it, and it turned out that the way the stories were coming together, it didn’t seem believable. We thought about having them sleep together in the heat of Donna thinking she was going to go to jail, but we didn’t feel like we had earned it enough in the story at that point. We also thought if they sleep together and then Harvey doesn’t want to follow through on his feelings, boy, we’re going to hate him. So we ended up splitting the difference. … We wanted to focus a little bit more on Donna. Usually, at some point in every season, we do some sort of a heavier focus on each one of the characters, and Donna hadn’t had her turn yet. So she had the big thing in [Episode] 14 and that led to her being in jeopardy in [Episode] 15. Then we’re thinking, “OK, if she is in jeopardy, what does that do to Harvey? And then ultimately, what does that do to the two of them?” Sometimes in crisis, people’s relationships come out.

TVLINE | What kind of fallout can we expect from Harvey’s confession?
Well, I will say I don’t view it as Harvey’s confession. Different people are viewing it in different ways. There was a moment they might have slept together. They had a moment in there. Nothing happened. Donna says, “Why?” Harvey says, “You know why,” meaning he doesn’t want to take it to that other level. Harvey was jealous of Stephen, and he said, “Just because I don’t want a relationship with you doesn’t mean I can’t be jealous of another guy with you.” So Harvey wasn’t confessing his deep-seeded love to Donna, in my opinion.

TVLINE | Marcus is also in this episode. What are we going to be seeing in terms of Harvey’s brother?
It’s been a long time coming to meet Harvey’s brother. We’ve set him up a lot. We’re going to meet him in an interesting context where we find out a lot about the relationship of the two brothers. Marcus is, obviously, Harvey’s younger brother. And we meet him in the context of a flashback [when] at a pivotal time in their lives, Marcus needed a favor from Harvey and Harvey came through for him. In the course of that, we get a little bit more backstory about mom and both of their points of view on mom and what she did.

Suits Season 4 SpoilersTVLINE | And what’s ahead for Mike and Rachel?
We explore Rachel’s conundrum regarding where she is in the firm now that Mike is back in the firm. She’s been going to law school, but also part-time [working as] Harvey’s associate. Ever since Mike [came] back, kind of unspoken, Harvey has defaulted to Mike and that comes up in the context of this last episode. Mike and Rachel, together, work through that. In the course of it, they work well together and they grow closer.

1. Bwhit says:

I took the last scene just how Korsh explained it here. If they decide to have Harvey and Donna together it should be In the series finale as a last scene or something. The best part of their relationship is their total loyalty to each other, a romantic relationship would just make it too messy.

• kn1231 says:

I agree. When Harvey said he loved Donna, I definitely got it in more of a best friend kind of way. I also agree that as much as we want to see these two linked romantically, we would just be set up for disappointment with the constant mess every TV couple seems to go through. I would much rather see Harvey and Donna’s relationship remain the same as it is now until we can have them together without any of that mess.

• Bwhit says:

Yep, it happens every on almost every show, couple finally gets together-happy for awhile-big problem happens-breakup-a person comes in to date part of said pair (never works)-couple gets back together. I just don’t want that for Donna and Harvey, their relationship is one of the foundations for the show!

• dee says:

They don’t have to do that! They can make it one of those relationships that everyone wishes they could have where your lover is also your best friend and all. Relationships aren’t ruined in every show all the time….look and Chandler and Monica from Friends! Darvey could be something like that if the writers know what they are doing

2. Sarah T. says:

I have to admit, now that Harvey told Donna he loves her, I’m going to feel cheated if they don’t expand on that more (and in the romantic sense). I’m not saying that have to define the relationship but to hear Korsch say that doesn’t think Harvey is “in love” with Donna burns. Maybe because of the entire context of their conversation leading up to that moment. Harvey had let his guard down completely, he looked vulnerable and a little nervous. This wasn’t a “platonic love”. It seemed like the thought of losing Donna (if she went to jail) clarified a lot for Harvey in terms of their relationship. Now, I agree he might not know what to do with that going forward but I hope this isn’t something where he puts her off, plays it down and justifies it. We’ve already seen that. He did that in “the other time” after they slept together and he got Donna the job because he “didn’t want to lose her”.
    I totally realize that I could be reading into it but to me, Donna has always gotten that Harvey is closed off to relationships because of his mom cheating on his dad. Donna is also the only one that’s fought to keep him honest, encouraged him to take risks in pursuing Scottie, into making amends with Mike. Donna is his constant. That’s part of the reason why he went a little off the deep end when she was fired a couple of seasons back. It’s also part of the reason why Donna hasn’t had a lot of other relationships because most of her (off screen) boyfriends weren’t happy that she put Harvey before them. I hope they expand on Harvey coming more to terms with that because really, I don’t see two characters who are more suited for each other than these two.

• m3rcnate says:

I couldn’t agree more. He can say it was meant in a platonic way but that then means they shot the scene wrong. As you describe the scene lends itself to a admission of love being romantic, there’s a reason even Donna is shocked hearing it and is like “you…love me?”. I’m not a fan of showrunner’s who do stuff like this. Hes already on my blacklist for what he did to Rachel (ruined her character) and the path the show went down last season.

• Jenny says:

I completely agree with you guys. I think Harvey meant that I love you in more than a friendly way. For Korsh to come out and say that he meant it in a platonic way is kind of infuriating.

• Sarah T. says:

Agreed, I feel like Rachel has changed direction somewhat and moved much more to the background/Mike’s girlfriend. I agree with Korsh they tend to focus on different characters at different times so hopefully we’ll get some payout with Rachel confronting Harvey about him using Mike more than her as his associate.
        Also, Harvey mentioned several times in the course of last week’s episode that Donna was “different”, how the thought of her going to jail “brought him to his knees” and that he thought of himself and Donna as “one and the same”. This plus his feelings of jealousy over her past relationship with Stephen sounds like someone who’s in love but really only just admitted it to himself. Plus the look on his face after he left was like he knew that he had opened a can of worms. if it’s only meant to be platonic love, he honestly looks like a bigger jerk than if he would have slept with her.

• Yes! It’s like Korsh is purposely trying to confuse the viewer. Harvey left the apartment as quickly as he could because he was scared of how he was feeling. If this was just a friendly thing then he wouldn’t of had any problem sticking around.

• m3rcnate says:

Yeah, to clarify (i thought i might have to); my issue with Rachel isn’t just how she is being used this season (just Mike’s GF, most scenes with her are of her naked in bed with Mike or them about to have sex, which has been written by the writers IMO as a tactic to try to make her likable again and trying to make us root for Rachel & Mike).

Now you might ask yourself why wouldn’t we root for Rachel & Mike anymore? Well i’ll tel you why and its the same reason why the show-runner & writers ruined Rachel. Last season they not only made her a horrible GF (lying, making bad decisions, cheating on Mike by kissing Logan) but made her a horrible PERSON. Through the flash backs they showed us a little bit younger version of Rachel (not like 19 y/o, but just a year or two before Mike showed up so she’s…23, 24? an ADULT) and in those flashbacks they showed Rachel seducing a married man (a man she KNEW was married) and have an affair with him…but not because she loved him or something like that, like a home wrecker, like a “doing this is wrong…its so exciting!” type of person, she actively liked that it was wrong and that they were meeting up in hotel rooms and what not. And she wanted him to leave his wife for her.

Why does this matter? “Mike slept with a married woman too!” you might say, but basically his mom had just died (his G-ma), his last parent after having both of his parents die when he was a kid…and he was distraught & grieving and understandably making horrible decisions. Around comes along his first love, a best friend from his real life (who truly knows him before the lies of being a lawyer) and he sleeps with her. All of that makes sense. But Rachel knowingly seducing a married man (she came off like a predator in how thirsty she was for Logan) and had a long affair with him, wrecking his marriage, and then shes with the “love her life” (Mike) and she cheats again?
          How can Rachel be likable now? How can i root for them? How can i not want Mike to dump her cheating-ass and find someone new? Well the writers think by writing her as a supportive GF and showing her horny for Mike a lot and them in their bed naked having just had sex, that we will forget about what they wrote her doing/saying last season. My memory isn’t that short.

You Aaron Korsh, & the show writers, ruined one of my all time favorite TV couples. Thanks a lot.

(Oh and to add the cherry on-top of how bad Rachel was. The writers decided it was a good idea to have Rachel be unable to leave Mike alone at work after he said he wanted space, thinking it would make us forgive her and find her endearing…it was immature and annoying. Then they write her as going to his hotel just two-to-maybe-three days after he said he wanted time/space to give him an ultimatum, saying that if he still loves her he should be with her or just end it. I mean WTF?! Since when does the cheater get to give ultimatums?! She then compares what she did to Mike and Tess…which is TOTAL bullsh*t because he was SINGLE! And his last parent had just died. The gall….the audacity…what utter and complete bullsh*t!)

• silvia says:

Word

• Everything that she said! I feel a bit cheated with that as well…

• this show used to be good because of it's strong characters says:

Korsh’s comments are infuriating. If it was meant to be platonic, they wrote the script, filmed and acted it all wrong. So why was ‘Fade into you,’ playing in the background of a platonic scene?? The lyrics were “I think it’s strange you never knew..”

This just doesn’t make sense in the context of the whole scene. The tension building up to it, Harvey’s face as after he says it and walks away… if it was just platonic they would’ve laughed about it or he could have stayed. By this time (10 years!) both of them know they care for each other deeply in a non-romantic sense. He had to leave because it was something more than platonic – why would he if they were just friends?

Honestly, if it was intended to be platonic, then this is just bad writing and poor character development. I’m not saying I think Harvey and Donna should be together, I personally think it would be best if they did right as the series ends… but for Korsh to say it was platonic is just like…. what are you even doing

• SZ says:

Thank-you! I agree! If he meant this to be platonic, then his writing and directing is frankly appalling because there is no way the scene was shot with a platonic confession in mind. Why on EARTH would Harvey walk away from Donna after admitting he loves her as a friend, like that’s big news?! Why would she be shocked?? Why would he look vulnerable and like he had just opened a can of worms with his confession? Honestly, this is an example of shocking writing and I feel completely cheated and furious with Aaron Korsch for being such a troll.

3. VelvetBrown says:

I love this show so much. Gabriel Macht is fantastic. That is all.

4. justsomeguy says:

This could be the moment where the show goes off the rails. I’m really confused by this guy downplaying the entire final minutes of the episode. I’m more inclined to believe this is just a very weak smoke screen for the inevitable final moments of tomorrow’s episode but you never know. If it isn’t, yikes. That’s some pretty terrible writing.

5. Lauren says:

I can’t kind of took it as Donna asking why and Harvey responding ‘I love you.’ As in, he loves her so much that he doesn’t want to jeopardise it by sleeping with her. I mean obviously that love isn’t 100% platonic, it’s complicated, but to me that was what Harvey was saying.

• Sarah T. says:

When Donna asked “Why?” It was because Harvey had just told her that “Anyone else can lose faith in me but when you do, it’s different.” He then realized that statement said a lot so he got up to leave and she asked him “Why?”.
      I think Donna has had feelings for Harvey for sometime. She’s pushed them down somewhat too, mostly because she knows Harvey isn’t ready and because she doesn’t want to lose Harvey. I think she saw a bit clearer picture that we were supposed to see too, that Harvey had finally started to let his walls down and she was fearful that if he walked away, she would never know why she was different to him (or why he fought so hard for her). I agree, it’s definitely complicated between the two of them. They’ve been very slowly building to this for several years (or so it seemed until Korsh throws me off by making the inane statements above.
      Clearly, I’m too invested in this show. ;)

• Louise says:

Again, spot on. I never focused on the I love you speech but rather him saying that “with you it’s different” and her replying to that with a “why”. But then again I’m probably too invested as well :)

6. D says:

A decision not to explore Harvey and Donna in a romantic relationship will be the show’s suicide. Sure, there are approximately 25 people who think Harvey and Donna are better in a platonic sense, and 10 additional people who still close their eyes during Harvey and Donna scenes and exchange Donna for Mike to take them into imaginary land, but the majority of casual viewers see a Harvey and Donna romance as the most organic evolution they’ve ever seen on television. This has been done through a series of lines and behaviors. In season 2 episode 7, Harvey says “caring makes you weak, they think you care, they’ll walk all over you.” This has remained true for him as Mike has tried to walk all over him (Please Harvey, this case reminds me of my parents and even though it’s a waste of time, can we waste the time?), Scottie has walked all over him (“She made me look like a fool.”), and Zoe has walked all over him. Mentioning Zoe brings me to my next question regarding season 2 episode 7. In the courtroom, before Harvey reveals that he doesn’t like to care because it makes him weak, when Donna is on the stand, he shows that he cares and has a weakness for Donna. This is actually said by Zoe, “They saw that he cares about someone other than himself,” who then proceeds to go on a date with him despite the fact that he showed his feelings for Donna. In the last episode, season 4 episode 15, Harvey quite literally runs around the city telling everyone that he cares about Donna. He even tells Evan that he is willing to let a man get away with murder to save her. He tells Mike that he cares about Donna more than he cares about winning.

Just those two episodes alone, ignoring everything between, shows that their relationship cannot be platonic. If Harvey saying, “You know I love you, Donna,” is not a deep-seeded confession of love, then it is because Harvey doesn’t know how to define love. He can care for her, yes, but he by him not being in love with her is a betrayal to his character development. His constant efforts to pursue relationships with Scottie and Zoe both are because Donna pushes him. Gabriel Macht himself said that Harvey saying he loves Donna is Harvey’s attempt to let his guard down and let Donna in like Donna has been trying to get him to do with Scottie and Zoe. Why align Donna with Scottie and Zoe if it is a different kind of relationship? In fact, by Korsh saying that they considered having Harvey and Donna have sex in the episode admits that they are not platonic by any means.

When you add everything between season 2 episode 7 and season 4 episode 15, it only reinforces that their dynamic are anything but platonic. In season 2 episode 16 Donna tells Harvey that she is “so sick of watching [you] fight like hell for everything that happens in here (the office) and nothing that happens in here (his heart),” and Harvey feels inclined to ask if it is about her. Him asking about her suggests that he doesn’t see them as a platonic relationship. In season 3 episode 6 the past of Harvey and Donna’s relationship is explored. Harvey says that he can’t lose her, that he doesn’t want to know what kind of lawyer he would be without her to indicate that he felt he had to choose between work and a relationship. Throughout the entire episode, Donna is adamant about the fact that she does not sleep with men that she works with and the only reason that they do sleep together is because they don’t work together anymore. Later on in season 4 episode 8, Donna admits to Rachel that she would have wanted to try to have a relationship with Harvey.

Throughout the journey of season 4, we watch Harvey and Donna open up to their friends/co-workers that they had a sexual encounter and openly discuss it multiple occasions. Why would the writers keep bringing it up if it weren’t relevant to the storyline?

So Korsh says that Harvey being jealous of Stephen didn’t mean Harvey wanted a relationship with Donna. True. Harvey was jealous but cares more about Donna’s happiness than giving her an ultimatum. That showed maturity and character growth. In fact, the writers (not the perception of the viewers) have shown Harvey’s character growth throughout the show all be in relation to Donna. On Twitter, Korsh engages with his viewers in a rather ambiguous way, only sometimes giving them a reassurance that they are seeking. Eighty percent of his questions on focused on Harvey and Donna’s relationship.

What we are seeing here is the viewers being invested in a relationship that the showrunner wants to do right but does it by betraying his characters. The final scene in the last episode, when Harvey tells Donna that he loves her, shows Harvey being the character he’s been aspiring to be for seasons. Harvey and Donna are not platonic, but they aren’t lovers either. Korsh keeps giving the viewers hope that they are going to happen one day. In fact, one person asked him on Twitter “Is there hope that Harvey and Donna will be together eventually?” and he replied “Why does it have to be eventually?” This makes it sound like Harvey and Donna are going to explore their romantic relationship.

Yet, in full interviews, Korsh contradicts himself, the perception of the viewers, and the actions of the characters. Where this stems as a problem is that he always blames the viewers’ perception and takes zero responsibility of the show he orchestrates. Many viewers have stated that if Harvey and Donna don’t get together soon then they are not returning in season 5. This is a shame because the chemistry because Gabriel Macht and Sarah Rafferty is off of the charts and they are better together. This article gives me hope that Korsh is on board with Harvey and Donna but he wants to do it right even though some things here contradict was done in the show in its entirety.

7. Diego Holtz says:

This is honestly confusing. I don’t understand what the showrunner is trying to tell the viewer. The characters, the scenes, the moments told a different story, but Mr. Korsh comes and says it’s not what you thought you watched. Therefore, this show doesn’t know how to shoot scenes properly.

They’ve been hinting Harvey and Donna for a while now (I’m surprised they haven’t ripped each others clothes off yet) The last scene of the latest episode was superb, the actors were brilliant and managed to convey the feelings of the characters with perfection. It felt like such a good character development. Now the showrunner says the “You know I love you, Donna” can be seen as something different (as an I love you like family??) I don’t see how it can’t be looked that way (unless the actors did whatever they wanted with the script/scene and the scene was shot wrong). Harvey closed the door behind him with an expression of “I finally said it; this may be an issue.” The whole moment was made to look like a confession of love; romantic love.
    If they try to back it out in the next episode, I’m done with the show. The writing has become confusing; the show itself has turned confusing and difficult to watch. They ruined Rachel’s character, who is now an accessory to Mike, the same with Harvey who seems to be an accessory to Mike and his secret. Jessica and the dynamic between Harvey and Donna are the only things that keeps me watching to be honest.

8. lorrainecollins10@btinternet.com says:

What? That’s not what I watched, everything Harvey said, did, how they acted that final scene, the song, everything pointed to Harvey finally saying out loud that yes he loves Donna, she’s the only one that really matters but doesn’t want to ruin what they have, he’s scared of losing her, of him screwing up just as she’s afraid to push for more in case she loses him. Korsh is saying one thing but showing another, it’s crap.

9. I’m confused too and disappointed. I don’t get it. I understood the scene in a different way, but this interview tells me different.

If I have to read interviews after watching a show in order to get it right, then I’m not interested anymore. Suits used to be a good show, it has become so complicated that is going downhill.

10. silvia says:

Thank you Aaron! I wont waste my time watching the show then. Tomorrow I will watch another show. I knew that nothing wasgonna to change. Bad move

11. Erin says:

I took it exactly the opposite of what Korsch intended. Now I’m really disappointed. If it’s not meant to be a loaded statement then why was Donna’s reaction such a shocked/confused/heartbroken face?
    I want them to get together but im okay if they don’t. I think it’s inevitable though.

12. dee says:

Aaron Korsh makes NO sense in this interview lol, he keeps contradicting himself! I thibk he is doing it on purpose….go look at his Twitter account he is saying the opposite of this post. Honestly he is evil hahaha. Darvey all the way, needs to happen already its been wayyyy to long!!!!!

13. Mika says:

This feels a lot like that color of the dress discussion all over again. To me, the moments toward the ILY scene was acted and directed to cross the borders of non-platonic. Korsh needs to lend us his lens.

• Mo says:

Hahahaha, yes the dress!
      It was totally non-platonic. Everyone knows this. Even Harvey/Mike shippers & Louis/Donna shippers (assuming that’s an actual thing) know it. It’s going to happen eventually. Whether it happens right now remains to be seen.

FWIW my money is on “not yet”… I think Harvey still has issues to work through before he is well & truly ready for a relationship like the one he would have with Donna. But saying the words – out loud? Huge step. HUGE.

14. Cin says:

I took the scene exactly as Aaron Korsch described above. It also fits with everything he’s been saying all along about the two of them. I get that shippers are disappointed, but I feel like they’re the ones who kinda pushed the show into going that direction in the first place.

15. Betsy Davidson says:

It looks like there was a huge miscommunication between the writers and what was portrayed. The expression in Harvey’s face said otherwise, I thought the scene would lead to the beginning of something good for Harvey and Donna, who do nothing but work and deal with Mike’s drama.

I’m keep being constantly disenchanted by the show, I guess it’s time to watch something else.

16. Ella says:

I agree with Korsh. I really didn’t see his “confession” as an admission of romantic love, more one friend telling another casually that he loves her. Her reaction, and certain fan reactions, were bizarre. These are two GREAT characters. Let’s not ruin them by throwing them into a relationship.

17. Nathan Onsoig says:

Another show that is afraid to write a solid romance. Geez, it isn’t that difficult with these two: Harvey and Donna already have a married-like relationship. The only difference would be having them kiss from time to time. The dynamic doesn’t have to change.

On the other hand, what’s up with having Rachel getting undressed or putting her and Mike in bed almost every episode? It’s always the same with them… This show needs better ideas.

18. Celine Dion says:

Well that was quite the read IMO! I interrupted the scene completely different than Korsh, glad I’m not alone.

I don’t really don’t care for ships/shipping whatever it’s called, but come on now, any casual fan that tunes in randomly can see the Donna/Harvey concept. This is just getting frustrating and you just get the feeling that they will keep milking it, which is a shame because they run the risk of alienating their core group of fan. Intent showed that whatever it is between Donna/Harvey gives you ratings (the demo went up with second highest rating for the 4.5 season). They keep playing this game of give and take, eventually those fans will lose all interest and I think that’s whats happening, ratings are declining in general.

No one is asking for a full out make out/porny/sex scene (okay, some of you creepers might!)…but you can write them in a way that is fun and classy and very much Donna/Harvey. It worked on Bones, Castle and with Jim and Pam on the office. I guess I just don’t get it. Either go down the route or don’t. Don’t tease your fans like that, I had to read this interview to understand an episode that I loved. Sucks.

Sometimes you have to wonder if they had casted other actors instead of two close friends would it be different?

Whatever, what I’m trying to say if that I just feel like there was a giant disconnect between the writers/actors/fans…who knows maybe that was the GODDAMN point?! Kudos on getting the ratings up and getting the fans talking!

• Bec says:

One thing people aren’t considering was how much wine Harvey had been drinking. Gabriel did a great job of hinting at this in an obviously subtle manner. (such great writing and acting to have people debating this so much! Well done to the whole production team.)

19. Felicity says:

Did you expect from Suits coherence? something new? I did not, The show is not good anymore.

20. Rich Abey says:

My thinking was pretty much along the same lines as EP Korsh, though I though for a second during their heated argument where Donna loses it with the prospect of prison & at the end that they might have an epic make-out…but it wouldn’t have done justice to how their relationship has been portrayed over the years. Anyway pumped for this finale!

21. tomus225 says:

I loved this show the first season or two. Now, the borjng office intrigue is getting on my nerves! WHEN is Harvey going to actually try a case?

22. DVe says:

This show used to be awesome. NoW it’s just a soap opera. Chick show now.

• sarah says:

What the hell? What was this show before, a “male” show? Because only men could enjoy and understand good writing …it’s too hard for us females :(

This show is terrible now not because of the drama, but because the writers have lost the plot and abandoned character development and the good legal drama that made this show great in the first place.