Last Man on Earth: Will Forte Weighs In on That Cameo You Might've Missed

Phil Miller is The Last Man on Earth… or is he?

Fox’s deceptively titled new comedy, which bowed Sunday, quickly introduced the rule-abiding Carol Andrew Pilbasian (Kristin Schaal, 30 Rock) to play opposite series creator/star Will Forte as possibly the last woman on Earth, and Phil’s future bride.

Might there be others like Carol and Phil? And what was up with that cryptic sorta-cameo? We have a lot of questions, and though the SNL vet wasn’t willing to divulge too much when TVLine caught up with him at a screening of the premiere, here’s what we could get him to answer.

last-man-on-earth-jason-sudeikis-cameoTHE BLINK-AND-YOU-MISS-IT APPEARANCE | In Sunday’s premiere, Forte’s SNL buddy Jason Sudeikis showed up in a photo from one of Phil’s pre-outbreak birthday celebrations. Sudeikis was conveniently missing in action, though, when the show returned to the scene as part of a full-fledged flashback sequence. “Sudeikis is a part of this show,” Forte promised. “In what way, I won’t tell you, but he came in a couple of weeks ago and did some stuff. It might be a one-second flashback or it might be an arc.”

RELATED Fox’s Last Man on Earth: Toilet Pools, Beardists and More Things to Know

POPULATION EXPLOSION? | Are Phil and Carol really the only survivors of the virus that plagued civilization in 2019? Since first being picked up by Fox, the show has cast Mary Steenburgen (Justified), January Jones (Mad Men), Mel Rodriguez (Getting On) and Cleopatra Coleman (Neighbours) in unspecified guest roles; it’s unclear if they’ll appear in Phil’s past, present or future. “The story takes a lot of twists and turns,” Forte teased. “We do a lot of dreams and flashbacks.”

ODD LAST MAN OUT | Forte said he originally didn’t foresee his 13-episode series going to a major broadcast network. In fact, he “absolutely thought this was a cable show,” and was shocked that Fox didn’t insist on creative changes. Should it get renewed, he vowed that the show’s innovative premise would not become burdened by an extended episode count. “If we’re ever lucky enough to get picked up for a second season, we’ll have it capped off at 13,” he said.

What questions were you left with following the Last Man premiere? Let us hear it in the comments!

1. Matthew says:

I like the show so far but there is definite room for so inprovement but still I liked the first two episodes well enought that I will stick around also I did notice that Jason was I that photo I pointed it out to my brother when I saw and he said he didn’t see it it really did go by so fast I am glad they will explore that a bit more

2. Belle says:

I thought it was a lot of fun…laugh out loud funny things done, and said. It has been added to my DVR – give it a try, it can only get better :)

3. Sarah says:

Really funny, and I’ll keep watching. But I keep overthinking and wanting answers to too many serious questions. What was the virus ? Where are all the dead bodies ? Is it really the whole world that was killed off, or just the US ?

• That was what I kept wondering about, too – where all the bodies went. Also, why wouldn’t he have settled in a less arid climate?

• Why would he have not settled beside a lake for water, raising crops, etc.? Is he supposed to be dimwitted?

• pete says:

He picked the location only because it was his hometown an when he went around the USA looking for survivors he left his hometown as the meet up location, when he returned to his crappy apartment, he decided to move to a mansion in his home town.

4. mark says:

Even if I were the ”last man on earth” and could get a TV signal . . . . I would have turned this ridiculous show off in the first 10 minutes – comedy or not. The main character lives more like a teenaged neanderthol than a mature, 40-something adult with any common sense logic. If a virus killed every human being and living creature, then what happens to the corpses? Did they all evaporate as well? Did he bother to find a shortwave radio to connect up to his generator and attempt to contact other nations? So . . . . NO planes crashed and aircraft all landed safely so civilization could all die on the ground and vanish? Did everyone who died remember to park their vehicles away out of sight and then go die at home – leaving virtually NO abandoned vehicles clogging roadways? Does he expect the gasoline to stay fresh for over 6 months in any station’s tanks? The water supply in the towers still fresh and sanitary for more than 6-8 months? Can you just imagine using a pool as a toilet how bad it would smell like raw sewage after 2-3 months? The food at the stores will stay fresh for only so long. Even the canned goods. If he impregnates the woman, then only if they have a son and a daughter . . . they have incest to repopulate and have inbred morons to roam the earth? Why would they want to stay in a region where the temperatures typically soar to over 110 degrees? I saw nothing even remotely funny about this program. I didn’t even crack a smile. Please spare those of us who think in terms of logic. It’s like a high school freshmen wrote the storyline. Only teenagers and people with single digit I.Q.’s would ever sit through another episode of this TV trash.

• Rustybugs says:

I agree with you! The series does expect you to not have any common sense or logic. I was hoping for something more. You could still make this a dramody and still seem logical. He’s traveled all over the US, leaving messages. “Alive in Tucson” If the virus killed off every living thing, animal and insects, the planet would soon die as well without the little creatures and insects to do the required pollination. Yeah I know I am getting technical. The series should have ended with him driving his truck into the rock and saved the rest of us from enduring this farce.

• Sam says:

“You could still make this a dramady and still seem logical.” You totally could, but you don’t have to…

• CptnNeckFat says:

It’s a tv show. Get over it.

As for enduring this farce…nobody is forcing you to watch it. And you not watching it would save others from enduring your rant.

• Vall says:

It’s a comedy tv show, not real life. What do you expect? You don’t have to watch it. ;p

5. Mark says:

in Last Man on earth what happened to the bodies and the animals and insects?

6. Miriam says:

I watched for 10 minutes..then I just couldn’t watch anymore. I found the whole premise ridiculous and not even slightly amusing. With so much competition out there, I’m surprised that at show like that even made it past the pilot.

7. Janis Thacker says:

This was so unexpected… I really thought it was going to be so bad, then I was laughing my ass off! Seriously, I am so sick of shows where it isn’t funny at all, or its about killers and cops. So cool to have something new and funny. Just love it!

8. Kenton kunce says:

Can we please get jason to stay in it somehow!!!! Oh if not can I. Im 6,1 ; brown hair ; hazel eyes ; names kenton kunce ; i skateboard ; and i game , instagram kunce_boy
    Vine-kenton kunce