Arrow/Flash 'Team-Up' Spinoff to Star Brandon Routh, Caity Lotz and Others

Arrow Flash Spinoff

I don’t know where to begin with this one, so let’s just lay out what we know.

Simply said, as teased at the January Television Critics Association press tour, The CW is developing a series that would spin off recurring characters from Arrow and The Flash as some sort of DC Comics “superhero team-up” hour, our sister site Deadline reports.

What’s known: Arrow‘s Brandon Routh (who plays Ray/The A.T.O.M.) and Caity Lotz (formerly Sara/Canary) would star in the offshoot, as would The Flash‘s Wentworth Miller (Leonard Snart/Captain Cold) and Victor Garber (Dr. Martin Stein aka half of Firestorm).

Because Lotz’s character died on Arrow, it’s unclear what role, old/resurrected or new, she would play.

Also known: The project, Deadline says, would feature three “major” DC Comics characters that have never appeared on a TV series. (Live action presumably being the unsaid qualifier there, but I’m just spitballing.)

Lastly, known: Arrow/Flash EPs Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Marc Guggenheim are, of course, behind the project, which could skip the traditional pilot process and get ordered straight to series.

It’s a lot to process, so please, read the above at least twice, then hit the comments with your thoughts — and theories on the major DC characters this series would bring to life.

1. Sasha says:

Using the same people are different characters? Would that work?

2. They can call it Showcase or something like that in homage to the 90’s anthology series (which in turn got its name from the series that introduced the Flash Barry Allen).

3. Dave says:

wait, what?

4. I really hope Sara ends up in the Lazarus Pit (Maybe Nyssa seeking revenge on her Father for offering Oliver to take his place) Sara was such a tortured and strong character. I’d really like to see her back in this universe of shows.

• Dude says:

Reviving Sara would undermine Arrow’s entire third season.

• Dj says:

Not really it depends who uses the lazarus pit to bring her back and for what reason.

• Mike says:

The writing undermines Arrow’s third season. It’s been a horrible year.

• Dj says:

The writing has never been that great. Great casting just makes it looks better. Last season Manu Bennett made up for any bad writing.

• Unfortunately, I totally agree. Killing Sarah for no reason in the premiere minutes after she randomly showed up (after leaving town in the season 2 finale) was the first in a series of plot driven mistakes this season. I used to love the show, even when its writing was uneven, but now if just fills like it’s checking off plot point boxes. Laurel/Canary is mostly terrible and Felicity’s charm is even getting old. I hate when creators split their time between multiple shows as the quality usually goes downhill.

• Patrick says:

Agreed. Felicity is rapidly becoming a smug, shrill, nagging shrew. If they don’t watch it, one of the most enjoyable parts of the show will become unlikeable.

• 134sc says:

I read that this idea was in development for a while now, but the network wanted to see how the Atom and Firestorm were received. If that’s true then this season of Arrow makes a hell of a lot more sense. Looks like the Lazurs Pit may b introduced next episode. If characters such as Laurel or Thea find out about its existence then maybe she gets resurrected that way. And in doing so would not undermine the season at all. The only hole I can see in this theory is that presumably Nyssa is aware of the pit. If so, y hasn’t she tried to revive Sara? If that can b logically explained then I’m all for it.

• raisenofool says:

I agree with this whole statement. As much as I also enjoy the flash (and probably will enjoy this spin-off) it’s easy to come to the conclusion that splitting talent between shows has it’s drawbacks. If they are going to introduce the Lazarus pit- it should have been done to explain Oliver’s return from death (which I consider to be a gaping hole in this seasons narrative along with the above mentioned killing of sara) And if they do bring sara back from the dead what kind of contrived reasons would make her leave starling city?

• Ray says:

Speaking of which, how did Oliver not know where Nanda Parbat was? He flew there earlier to face off with Ra’s.

• Boston2AZ says:

You think that reviving Sara would undermine the third season? Watching Katie Cassidy’s Laurel flounder as the Black Canary did that for me a long time ago.

• I’m TOTALLY fine with undermining — or even erasing — Season 3 of Arrow in its entirety.

• derek117 says:

Have to agree with you. I’m convinced that the Arrow Writers from Season 2 have been kidnapped by Slade and locked-up. And Season 3 is made up of the fragments of thought they were working on when they got kidnapped. What I’m asking is: how could a show that was so good be so bad the next season?

5. If it get boring Ray off of Arrow, I’m all for it. And yay for Caity Lotz!

• ME says:

OMG Olicity shippers are simply incapable of looking past that dreary ship and realize actual plots! This was always a foundation for ATOM..SMH

• Anthony says:

To be fair, Kenya didn’t say anything about Olicity. The comment was about Ray’s character in and of itself. (I don’t agree with Kenya, but to blame the comment on “Olicity shippers” is really stretching it. Unless there’s a history of Olicity comments by Kenya I’m unaware of.)

• Dmac says:

So if she doesn’t like Ray she is an Olicity shipper? That makes absolutely no sense. Maybe she thinks he is rather dull, I do and I assure you I am not a shipper of anyone.

6. Tim says:

kind of like maybe Brave and the Bold?

7. Bob says:

Series starring or co-starring Caity Lotz? With Brandon? Sign me up for a 12 or 23 order, please and thank you. They killed Sara way too soon, Caity was really hitting her stride. Long Live Team Canatom. PS. Give Laurel a chance, too much potential to write her off has many have already done…

8. Dave says:

If that’ true, this is a very big spoiler about sara’s faith…anyway this looks appealing, and my mind is already freaking out for the possible crossover events!!

9. Kubrick says:

Holy fourth of July weenie roast! Yes! Except for ray palmer.I wonder how Lotz will work as Sara is dead not that I’m complaining seeing the TRUE Canary makes me one happy tv viewer.

10. Katy says:

Just resurect Sara, arrow already introduced the Lazarus pit obviously according to the comic books she’s been dead to long but who really cares? It’s a comic book tv show just look the other way this once. Rather have the canary than a new character.

• Kubrick says:

Well the show has been known for stretching the comic book mythos. In the comics Laurel was called Dinah and it was her mom who was the original Black Canary. I’m sure a magic puddle that heals wounds and revive the dead, even one who was killed six to seven months ago isn’t so off.

• Gail says:

Its also possible that Sara has already been revived and we just haven’t seen her yet. Her revival is probably the only thing that will resolve Thea’s guilt and Detective Lance’s heartache.

They should rename the CW the DC. I love all these shows.

• murley says:

If they do go with revived Sara I bet it will be that she has been alive all this time.

• 134sc says:

I thought about that as well. It would make sense and b a cool twist.

• div13class says:

I agree. I think when Nyssa asked Laurel where Sara’s body was, she took it then. I think Sara has already been in the Lazarus Pit. Nyssa’s plight right now is simply to prove to her Father that despite her love for Sara, she will do what ever it takes to live by the LOA code to earn her right to the throne. The fact Oliver was offered it instead my send her on a different trajectory with Sara against her Father.

• Ryan says:

I would love for them to bring sara back and i think they are, but she hasn’t been dead for too long. In a batman comic, Ra’s used bringing batmans dead parents back as a threat, they would of been dead for much longer.

11. Christy says:

YAAAAAY! I don’t even care who is in it. If it’s from the Flash/Arrow team I’ll watch it.

12. Lacy says:

Victor Garber back on primetime. YASSS!

13. jimmyu says:

Call it The Brave and the Bold!

14. Tania says:

Sothat seems Ray will no longer be part of Arrow and he will leave the show eventually so more chance then for Olicity.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That comment didn’t take long.

• jc says:

We just have to get through a few more episodes of terrible brandon routh and once he’s gone we can have our olicity back.

• ME says:

For the sake of the show I hope the writers do not start to pay attention to fangirls, Olicity needs to stays apart for as long as possible. There are more important issues for Oliver has to deal with.

• Heidi says:

Exactly. And looking through the comments, it appears I am in the minority of one who really enjoys Brandon Routh’s quirky Ray Palmer. And I like the quirkiness of Felicity and Ray together.

• ME says:

You are not the only one, I enjoy Ray and Felicity but I’m not too worried about romance in these shows. I doubt fangirls even notice anything else happening with the show other than the fact that Olicity is not together..smh

• Koolkatz says:

Minority of 2, I wanted to not like Ray, especially since I thought he was going to be a bad guy originally. Plus he was so nasty on Chuck (it carried over, I was rewatching Chuck when he came on). But he is kind of charming. Him and Felicity are cute. I still think it will end up Ollie and Felicity at some point, but I am okay with road blocks.

• Nina Love says:

It can’t just be that simple…I feel there will still be a long wait for Olicity even when Ray is out of the picture.

• Gail says:

Maybe Felicity will be at the center of the new show but they haven’t announced it yet. She is the one with some type of relationship with all the characters mentioned from both shows. She also has another upcoming appearance on the Flash with Ray. Maybe this will be a back door pilot for the new show. I am guessing not, but she may be in the pilot that sets up the situation for the new show.

15. Outis says:

Meh. Would have to see how it was developed but really, Routh as ATOM surrounded by 3 really fine supporting roles could easily carry a show himself. Seems like a wasted opportunity with him. No idea how Lotz would be incorporated either. Garber’s a great character actor but Firestorm wasn’t a great character. I’d prefer if they gave ATOM his own show and if they want to develop a series around the no name team, then go for it. It worked for GotG onscreen. It’d have to be awfully engaging and funny though.

16. Dude says:

No me gusta. I wish The CW wasn’t the “Greg Berlanti’s DC super friends network”

17. Manu says:

Bring Sara back and then have Nyssa recurr on both shows!

18. Dan says:

3 Major DC characters? Batman, Superman (or Girl), Green Lantern. = Justice League Event.

Batman, Superman (or Girl), Arrow, Flash, Green Lantern Feat. Arsenal, Black Canary, Atom and Firestorm.

19. meatwad says:

all they had to do was say Caity Lotz and i was sold!!!!

• Gordon Rick says:

Me too! Says Caity is on the show and I am in.

• aucarter says:

It is good to see Caity Lotz’s talents and fandom are appreciated. I don’t care if they “resurrect” Sara or have a new character. Since this show will be centered on a group of people, instead of one primary character, I look forward to learning more about this particular DCU.

20. A. D. says:

Awesome…Make Nyssa a part of this she’s amazing! Green Lantern?

21. Dj says:

I just don’t get the Miller part. I just don’t want to see Captain Cold turn into a hero. I wish they could use Nightwing but I think due to the titan series he is a no.

• Luis says:

Captain Cold is now working with the Justice League after the events of the recent DC sereis “Forever Evil” I would have thought CC would be a natural for the Suicide Squad.

22. Kay says:

Whaaaaaaat? If it’d get rid of Ray from Arrow I am all for it. Plus Caity Lotz! Strange that she wouldn’t play Sara even though every other character is from her universe. Confusing but interesting.

23. Bwhit says:

I will watch it because of Wentworth Miller but how do they redeem him? Surely they have to make Snart somewhat good for him to be a series regular. I’m in if it puts him back on my TV!!

24. Drew says:

It sounds like maybe the show would tell different stories, using different characters, rather than focus on one character and one ongoing story. Kinda like Justice League Unlimited. We know that they have wanted to tell Sara’s story for a while now. I think these would be shorter arcs and then move on. I could get behind that, because it would let them explore characters that we wouldn’t necessarily want in a long running series.
    Interesting.

• jerrired says:

That’s what I thought when I read the article. I like that idea too. It could also open the door to introducing new DC characters, if the show lasts past season one.

25. Dj says:

Could one of the 3 be John Stewart Green Lantern. There was rumors that Diggle was going to be GL I don’t think it will be Diggle but maybe this is why the rumors started.

26. Don J. says:

If this gets picked up, man Greg Berlanti and the writing staff of Arrow and The Flash are going to be fried trying to write for 3 shows in the same season with 23+ episodes each potentially. Does Berlanti have the time & manpower to oversee 3 shows on The CW as well as Supergirl on CBS?

27. ? says:

White Canary? Is that a superhero? If not, SHOULD it be?! Eh? Eh? I don’t care how, just bring Sara back!

• Gordon Rick says:

At one point in DC history, Black Canary switched places with master assasin Lady Shiva. Shiva had to help people while Canary had to become an assasin. Shiva called herself White Canary. Shiva was one of Bruce Wayne’s martial art instructors before he became Batman.

28. Pierre says:

Is it planned for fall 2015 ?

29. SteveO says:

Any info on where Robbie Smell is in all this?

30. Gordon Rick says:

I do not care how they bring back Caity Lotz, I want it. She was made for action adventure shows with all her martial arts skills.

31. Jason A. says:

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! Hoping Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern and Booster Gold in this series!

32. Nina Love says:

Brandon Routh & Wentworth Miller..I’m sold!
    I was keeping my fingers crossed for Captain Cold to be a more permanent villain so this makes me happy. I’m hoping for more Pied Piper too
    Which show is Steven Mcqueen supposed to be on and when?

33. JC1 says:

I honestly don’t know how to feel about this. I was furious when they killed Sara off, so if they’re really bringing her back somehow? I would watch it just for that. But otherwise….. I just don’t know. I guess I need to know more about it. I’m not Captain Cold’s biggest fan, and it seems weird that they didn’t announce Robbie Amell along with Victor Garber.

34. justsomeguy says:

Sounds like a plan to me. I thought Arrow really went off the rails when they killed the real BC so I’m glad the actress gets another shot at it. If the show’s quality is anything close to the Flash it’ll be a hit. The Flash is one show that is done ridiculously well.

35. B says:

tbh i’m not sure how I feel about this, the addition of lotz seems odd (odder still if she winds up playing a new character) and having martin stein without ronnie doesn’t make a lot of sense especially since we saw how connected they were in the last episode of flash

36. Joey Padron says:

Interesting for a spin-off show. Hope Caity will play Sara on the show. Sucks Robbie won’t be on the show. Hope he can guest star on the show from time to time.

37. Yeahman says:

Isn’t Captain Cold a villain?

38. rinaex says:

I am here for Wentworth Miller, and would be ecstatic if they resurrected Sara.

39. Dave says:

“the brave and the bold” like the comics

40. luli says:

So excited for Caity Lotz!!! Glad they are bringing her back, i was so mad when they offed her! Also Victor Garber! YES! Not really excoted about Brandon Routh, but I’m liking the sound of this spinoff.. cant wait.

41. Lizo says:

Holy crap yes. Yes yes yes. I am so there.

42. Ian Barber says:

I don’t really see them dropping such a gigantic Arrow spoiler like this. Plus Sara has been dead and buried (supposedly) for a long time. I actually hope she is playing someone different. Maybe even a villain!

43. John says:

Why up there Brandon is in the current suit perhaps this is a prequel? Pull back enough in time and Sara is still interesting and Martin and Ray have their science stuff. Don’t know anything about Colds origins to know if that works for him.

44. sladewilson says:

If they use the Lazarus Pit to revive Sara, then it would be totally different than the comics. The Pit has to be used within a certain time frame for it to work. If anyone moved her, it would’ve been Ra’s and I just don’t see all that happening. Just have her play someone new and change her hair color or something.

45. Rick Katze says:

I like the idea. And, assuming that this was planed as a possibility, would add to the reasons to kill Sara when they did. I see Garber as being an excellent choice for a supporting character for Atom and I expect that this was also part of the grand plan. Don’t follow the comic universe so I have no guesses as to who else will show up.

And, for those who do not like where Arrow has been going this year, go watch another show. I think the story line has been great, even if emotionally brutal.

46. Mark says:

Arrow and Flash are two of my favorite hours on TV each week. More in this universe? Sign me up!

47. Drew says:

I think it is safe to assume that Lotz will play Sara. I also don’t think that they will resurrect her. They have always wanted to tell the story of how she became the Canary. This is probably a way to do that without taking up time on Arrow.
    Taking someone who played a major role on Arrow for over a year and putting her in a new role would be lame. Especially with so many other established characters listed.
    I tend to believe that they will keep her dead. It is too important to Laurel’s story to undo.

• John NYC says:

A prequel was my thought. Showing Brandon in the suit might be a photo editor choice and not a statement on the time setting if the show.

• Isobel says:

Agree they could show Ray and Victor’s backstory as scientists and Cold’s as a criminal. I guess if it’s successful they could add other characters whose backgrounds can’t be expanded on flash and arrow. I presume atom and firestorm pilots are being considered as well

48. ggny says:

Gonna guess Kyle Rayner/Green Lantern,Powergirl and Batgirl as the 3

• Not Batgirl — she was heavily featured in the 3rd season of the Adam West Batseries. (And there’s also Birds of Prey, in which Dina Meyer played Barbara Gordon in her Oracle persona. The latter series also knocks out Huntress.)

• murley says:

I was thinking maybe Batwoman. I don’t think she has ever been portrayed on screen and it seems like Barbara Kean in Gotham is sort of their version of Kate Kane so it might not be a conflict.

• Hmm. On one hand, I think you’re right that Batwoman is an eligible candidate; as far as I can recall, the animated Mystery of the Batwoman direct-to-video feature is the only screen treatment of the character, and that took kind of a sideways angle at that. OTOH, I’m not sure how easy it would be to integrate that character into a Flash/Arrow spinoff.

49. Mike R. says:

Where’s Katrina Law. Unless she will be a regular on Arrow and train Laurel. It would be a waste to have Sara without Nyssa by her side.

50. Regards the Three Major Characters question: I agree, “live action” has to be a qualifier here, if only because the animated Batman: The Brave & the Bold series brought in virtually the entire DCU roster in its three-season run. And even with that limit, there are all the characters Smallville brought in as one-shot or briefly recurring guest players.

With that in mind: Green Lantern seems almost a lock — probably John Stewart. (Hal Jordan may be DQed from consideration on the basis of a really obscure “Justice League” special from the post-Adam-West era, but I’m not certain about that.) After that, it gets a lot harder. One real possibility might be either the Spectre or the Phantom Stranger, though almost certainly not both. After that, the third character might be a villain — and if the prospective series is going for a Justice League setup, that might well mean Despero.

• Gail says:

You could have some of the Earth 2 heroes on the new show such as Dr Fate, Starman, Power Girl, etc.Wildcat was from Earth 2 in the comics and he has been on Arrow.

• If Matt’s got the criteria right (“never appeared on a [live action] TV series”), then at least some of those folks may be DQed in the wake of the “Justice Society” arc from the last seasons of Smallville. That said, it’s been a long while since I watched those episodes and I don’t have discs to hand, so while I remember that Dr. Fate’s helmet was a key element of that arc, I don’t recall how much we saw of the Dr. Fate character.

One thought in a totally different direction: Static, from the animated series Static Shock, who reappeared later in the animated JL/JLU continuity.

• Ggny says:

I think John Stewart would be to simliar to Diggle. I think it will be Kyle. As for the other I was thinking Powergirl but a villain is possible. Lobo could work well